Skeptical to try Re...

Notifications
Clear all

Skeptical to try Regimen and here is why

MemberMember
(@gbomb47)

Posted : 03/21/2016 11:42 pm

Hello,

I have gone through many acne treatments from my dermatologist and antibiotics worked for about a year but then I became resistant and accutane made my scalp extremely dry so I had to stop that.

Currently I am using the Cetaphil gentle cleanser, onexton (3.5% bp), and aloe Vera gel to moisturize. I figured I would use up my existing products that are similar to Dan's. Im on week 2 following the same dosage size and instructions as Dan and I already noticed about 50% less acne! However, I applied Cetaphil moisturizer last night because I ran out of the gel and It caused a MAJOR breakout ( about 3 whiteheads and 2 cystic nodes) even though it says its non-comedogenic.

So I am currently looking for a new moisturizer but after reading reviews of the acne.org moistruzer it seems that most people arent happy with it and it causes burning/itching/ more flaking, can someone clarify that for me?

Also, my first week of using BP my face was getting extremely dry and flaky but now it is not getting dry or flaky from the BP, does that mean that the BP is becoming less effective and I should apply more? I am afraid I could develop a resistance just like with antibiotics :(

thank you so much!

MemberMember
(@gbomb47)

Posted : 03/22/2016 7:39 pm

10 hours ago, CP. said:

The breakout could have been caused by something else. But to answer your questions on Acne.org Moisturizer:

• The burning is due to the BP, not the Moisturizer.
  • The Moisturizer isn't that hydrating it seems to be formulated to "feel" nice on the skin rather than to moisturize it well. That's the reason they experienced itching & flaking.

No

okay so would the moisturizer help with my dry skin from bp and get rid of dry flakes? if not, then which moisturizer should i use?

MemberMember
(@jennymai)

Posted : 03/23/2016 9:26 pm

So quick answer to your last question, no, that does not mean the bp is becoming less effective. It means your skin is adjusting, that's good news! Some people's skin takes forever to adjust or sometimes it never adjusts, like mine. I too tried the cetaphil moisturizing lotion after applying bp and i broke out like crazy, so many clogged pores. It also stung my skin and left it red, it was horrible. I hate the regimen moisturizer tbh, it leaves a tint overtime and doesn't even moisturize. A moisturizer I really liked to use after the bp is first aid beauty ultra repair face moisturizer. It is a bit pricey, but it doesn't cause irritation or breakouts. Quick thing, many moisturizers state non comedogenic but clog pores /: I got the belif aqua bomb moisturizer the other day and wow, that moisturizes very well. It stung my skin after I applied the bp though, i'm not sure if it is because of the glycerin or because my skin was just that dry, but i will be trying it again soon because my skin isn't as dry or irritated as it was a couple of weeks ago.

DeLovely and gbomb47 liked
MemberMember
(@gbomb47)

Posted : 03/24/2016 1:57 am

4 hours ago, jennymai said:

So quick answer to your last question, no, that does not mean the bp is becoming less effective. It means your skin is adjusting, that's good news! Some people's skin takes forever to adjust or sometimes it never adjusts, like mine. I too tried the cetaphil moisturizing lotion after applying bp and i broke out like crazy, so many clogged pores. It also stung my skin and left it red, it was horrible. I hate the regimen moisturizer tbh, it leaves a tint overtime and doesn't even moisturize. A moisturizer I really liked to use after the bp is first aid beauty ultra repair face moisturizer. It is a bit pricey, but it doesn't cause irritation or breakouts. Quick thing, many moisturizers state non comedogenic but clog pores /: I got the belif aqua bomb moisturizer the other day and wow, that moisturizes very well. It stung my skin after I applied the bp though, i'm not sure if it is because of the glycerin or because my skin was just that dry, but i will be trying it again soon because my skin isn't as dry or irritated as it was a couple of weeks ago.

Okay sounds good! I'll get both moisturizers and compare them. And ya my skin has pretty much adjusted, before I used bp I was EXTREMELY oily, I mean like anytime of the day I touched my face my fingers would be drenched in oil so it is nice now not having to deal with that. Does this moisturizer also get rid of the flaking? Thanks! Also seeing as you also broke out from the cetaphil moisturizer, did the acne.org moisturizer break you out?

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@oldbooksandcats)

Posted : 03/24/2016 3:06 am

Hello,

Glad to hear that your acne is improving already! Except for that setback with the moisturizer... 🙁

The acne.org moisturizer does not make my skin burn. It does a good job in the summer and spring. In the winter, I need to layer several moisturizers and use treatment masks, the acne.org stuff is not enough by itself. However, since I have extremely dry skin and live in a semi-arid climate, I don't blame the acne.org moisturizer for this problem. 

1 thought: have you tried applying jojoba oil directly to the dry patch, underneath your normal moisturizer? I know, I know, you just finally finished getting rid of your oily face... ;)

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@jennymai)

Posted : 03/24/2016 12:29 pm

@gbomb47oh my, that is oily lol. But that's really good to hear your skin is much better now. Maybe you should look into the regimen's aha, since you're adjusted to the bp, you shouldn't have a bad reaction to it. It really helps with the flaking because moisturizing alone didn't help me /: start small, maybe 2-3 times a week & add only a small amount to ur lotion, mix it together & apply. I can't say whether or not the regimen moisturizer broke me out but I stopped it because it wasn't moisturizing enough and was giving my face this really ugly orange tint. Also you can look into Argan oil for moisturizing. I apply a couple of drops in the morning & it leaves my skin looking dewy & bright. I actually think my skin doesn't get as oily throughout the day as much. I use Josie maran, a bit pricey too, I love Sephora so I usually go there first but you can always find other alternatives that I'm sure work amazing. If I can find this article on oils, I will link you later. Gives great information on using oils for your skin, I was skeptical too but it hasn't broken me out so I'm with it lol

MemberMember
(@quantumquan)

Posted : 04/04/2016 1:18 am

On March 22, 2016 at 9:42 PM, gbomb47 said:

Hello,

I have gone through many acne treatments from my dermatologist and antibiotics worked for about a year but then I became resistant and accutane made my scalp extremely dry so I had to stop that.

Currently I am using the Cetaphil gentle cleanser, onexton (3.5% bp), and aloe Vera gel to moisturize. I figured I would use up my existing products that are similar to Dan's. Im on week 2 following the same dosage size and instructions as Dan and I already noticed about 50% less acne! However, I applied Cetaphil moisturizer last night because I ran out of the gel and It caused a MAJOR breakout ( about 3 whiteheads and 2 cystic nodes) even though it says its non-comedogenic.

So I am currently looking for a new moisturizer but after reading reviews of the acne.org moistruzer it seems that most people arent happy with it and it causes burning/itching/ more flaking, can someone clarify that for me?

Also, my first week of using BP my face was getting extremely dry and flaky but now it is not getting dry or flaky from the BP, does that mean that the BP is becoming less effective and I should apply more? I am afraid I could develop a resistance just like with antibiotics :(

thank you so much!

I had the same experience with cethapil lotion. Broke out with 4 HUMONGOUS I mean huge, like the size of dimes on my face. I use Dan's Moisturizer and the only complaint I have with it is the way it soaks into the skin. I have to moisturize twice for it to soak in properly. This works wonders, but takes a bit more time. 

I have never experienced burning/itching from Dan's Moisturizer. But I would guess it is probably from not using enough and still feeling the effects of the BP drying or AHA usage from the night before. Like I stated before, a great way to combat this would be to revisit your face twice with the moisturizer. I am going to go on a limb and highly recommend you try Dan's Moisturizer but revisit your face twice with it for perfect moisturization, once then let dry, then a second time (jojoba oil on 2nd). 

As far as your face not becoming dry and flaky, I think this is normal. As with any drug, your body will get used to it. I've found that it does indeed build a tolerance. By the time BP began to do that for me, my BP use had become quite minimal and I only used enough to stay clear. 

Best of luck!

DeLovely liked