Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide

MemberMember
(@tmg21)

Posted : 02/19/2016 10:24 am

Hi I am about 6-7 weeks into the regimen and I was seeing my face is still getting red during the day. I do not know if the benzoyl peroxide is making my skin prone to getting red because of the sun or whatever. I was just wondering if it would be fine to only put the benzoyl peroxide on at night? I just started this yesterday and am waiting for my jojoba oil to come in either tomorrow or monday. From there I might go back to twice daily but right now I am afraid my skin gets irritated because of BP during the day.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 02/19/2016 10:59 am

This is expected. BP will make your skin more sensitive to the sun so always have SPF on if you are under the sun for some period of time. Under the instructions of the regimen, it needs to be done twice a day, if you do it only at night...chances are new acne will surface. You can try to experiment with once a day usage when you are fully clear already.

Redness and the drying effect are side effects of the BP. Your skin needs to get used to it first and then it goes back to normal. My advice, just moisturize. You can moisturize little by little throughout the day if your skin is bothering you.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 02/19/2016 11:03 am

If you spend a lot of time in the sun, it's a good idea to use a moisturizer with SPF protection. Some redness is normal while the BP does its work of kill acne bacteria, and usually goes away with continued use.

Unless you're clear and have been clear for awhile, skipping treatments is not recommended, as acne may return. Once you're clear, you can experiment with reducing the amount of BP. Some people can get away with using much less and still stay clear.

Mixing in a little jojoba oil with your moisturizer can help with the redness and dryness.