Face Is Beyond Red....

Notifications
Clear all

Face Is Beyond Red. Literally Look Like A Lobster.

MemberMember
(@megchau)

Posted : 02/12/2015 3:21 pm

Hi i started using AHA in hopes to get rid of my dry flaky skin. It's really really bad now. I started using half aha and half moisturizer four days ago and did it two days in a row. I skipped a day in between and last night I did it again. I woke up today with ridiculously red skin. It's terrible... I've had over 4 nurses (I work at a hospital) ask me why my face is so red and if I was ok/what's wrong with me.

I know I have to wait for the redness to go away and I won't use aha until then, but when I do use it again once the redness goes away I will use less. Is there anything I can do to lessen the redness and how long does it typically take? I start a new job in two days I'm so embarrassed I can't even wear makeup the last thing I want is dry flaking red skin. Please help.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/12/2015 3:28 pm

you just need to baby your face for now the redness will go away just give it time. look for a mineral makeup that should help it look a bit better.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@megchau)

Posted : 02/12/2015 3:32 pm

Okay thank you. I read somewhere it can take months to go away... Is it really going to take that long for the redness to subside?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/12/2015 3:41 pm

you should be fine. it just sounds like it was too harsh for your skin. what was the percentage of aha that you used? i think aveeno sells a calming moisturizer for red skin that you can try. go to your local drug store they should have it. if you are really worried you can see your derm she will give you a cream to use on it that would help too.

MemberMember
(@megchau)

Posted : 02/12/2015 3:49 pm

I used the acne.org aha 10%. I will try the moisturizer out thank you so much.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/12/2015 3:55 pm

gotcha and yeah thats not too crazy high or anything so i think it was just too harsh for your skin. good luck with everything!

MemberMember
(@william8026)

Posted : 02/12/2015 6:04 pm

You did it two days in a row? I thought you were only supposed to do it once in a while especially when you're just starting out. Aha is POWERFUL stuff, I wouldn't use it so often like that it could damage your skin.

MemberMember
(@megchau)

Posted : 02/12/2015 7:10 pm

It said you could replace your moisturizer with aha 2-3 times a week or use it every night half aha half moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 02/12/2015 7:18 pm

OMG I'm so so sorry!!!! Sounds like you have really sensitive skin. After the redness subsides, try using only 1/4 AHA+ and 3/4 moisturizer. Let two nights go by before trying again. Be sure you're only using the AHA+ once a day and not twice in the same day. If you're still experiencing sensitivity, then maybe only use at this dosage once or twice a week at most, or hold off using for awhile.

Were you having any issues with sensitivity prior to this? Things were going fine before you introduced the AHA+? Also, did you spend some time in the sun recently, like an hour or better? Wearing a sunscreen on sunny days when you're going to be outside hiking, skiing, etc. is highly recommended, the BP and AHA+ do increase sun sensitivity. Just want to rule out the possibility that you may have inadvertently gotten sunburned, which would also explain the redness.

I feel bad because AHA+ was my suggestion and has worked beautifully for my son. :( He only uses this mixture every other night.

MemberMember
(@william8026)

Posted : 02/12/2015 8:08 pm

I would agree with DeLovely. I would start using it only once a week and then work my way up after time, I wouldn't want to overdo my skin.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@megchau)

Posted : 02/12/2015 11:56 pm

OMG I'm so so sorry!!!! Sounds like you have really sensitive skin. After the redness subsides, try using only 1/4 AHA+ and 3/4 moisturizer. Let two nights go by before trying again. Be sure you're only using the AHA+ once a day and not twice in the same day. If you're still experiencing sensitivity, then maybe only use at this dosage once or twice a week at most, or hold off using for awhile.

Were you having any issues with sensitivity prior to this? Things were going fine before you introduced the AHA+? Also, did you spend some time in the sun recently, like an hour or better? Wearing a sunscreen on sunny days when you're going to be outside hiking, skiing, etc. is highly recommended, the BP and AHA+ do increase sun sensitivity. Just want to rule out the possibility that you may have inadvertently gotten sunburned, which would also explain the redness.

I feel bad because AHA+ was my suggestion and has worked beautifully for my son. :( He only uses this mixture every other night.

Aww haha don't feel bad! I definitely started off too strong it's my own fault. No, I wasn't having problems before I never considered my skin sensitive. I live in Boston so I've had multiple snow storms, I haven't been going outside much besides to go to the store or work, so I know it's not sunburn from being out. I'm going to wait it out im embarrassed by how red my face is. I want to be normal colored again! I just hope it won't take too long. I haven't work makeup in weeks but I don't think I can handle another day of complete redness if it doesn't lighten up by tomorrow.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 02/13/2015 9:46 am

Aw thanks for letting me off the hook! :) I do feel a tad responsible, can't help it. Going forward I'll suggestion people start off with a super low dosage of AHA+. The 10% formula is really better suited to stubborn body acne, since the skin on our bodies is thicker and tougher. Personally I would never use straight AHA+ on my face EVER, even though using once or twice a week this way is one of the serving suggestions.

The redness will subside, just give it a few days. Is it painful redness/tightness/dryness or just redness by itself??

Megchau liked
MemberMember
(@megchau)

Posted : 02/13/2015 10:00 am

No pain, maybe only on the spots that flaked off so my skins even more sensitive. But today the area around my mouth is sooo tight and uncomfortable I don't even want to talk.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 02/13/2015 10:10 am

Glad to hear you're not in any pain. Gosh when I was in week 2 of the Regimen, I also had full-blown lobster face from the BP. My skin is very sensitive. I ended up slothering my face with petroleum jelly at night for 3-4 nights just to sleep, my face was so tight, thought the skin would crack open!

If you have some Vaseline in the house, you could apply some around your mouth. It's a cheap, goopy remedy but really does work if you have nothing else. It really does deliver on its promise to heal and protect. And 100% noncomedogenic!

BTW, I heard about Boston getting clobbered with snow this winter. You Beantowners have my sympathies! :)

MemberMember
(@megchau)

Posted : 02/13/2015 10:23 am

Haha yes it's really bad in Boston after all this snow were still getting more this weekend. I honestly have no idea where else to shovel all this snow. It literally looks like snow mountains everywhere.

Yes! I've been using aquaphor mixed in with my lotion at night with jojoba oil it has helped so much! But now I need something moisturizing for the day I'm thinking maybe cetaphil. I used olay complete because of the spf but I might try cetaphil because of the good reviews.

I would totally have aquaphor slathered all over my face if I wasn't on the way to work. :( I had to apply makeup today and it felt so uncomfortable but I couldn't stand my red face.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 02/13/2015 10:38 am

Yeah, the only moisturizers I've ever used besides Dan's are in the Neutrogena line, sorry I can't help there. All you can do is give the Cetaphil a try...it is a quality product and many on here swear by it.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Megchau liked