Salicylic Acid And ...

Notifications
Clear all

Salicylic Acid And Benzoyl Peroxide Together? And Other Questions

MemberMember
(@jennypenny78)

Posted : 06/04/2013 4:00 pm

1)I heard that salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide work well together. I wasn't too sure at first but i tried it anyway. It was fine at first but on the second day of use, i got a stinging/burning on my acne. Should I stop using them together? Or is it overdrying?

2)Also, I wanted to know if Dan's 2.5% benzoyl peroxide is really worth getting as I found it over priced. Is there a difference between a pharmacy-bought BP and Dan's? Surely if the pharmacy BP has 2.5% bp as well, it would have the same effect.

3)I wash my face three times a day-(when i wake up/after coming home from school/before i sleep)

Is this too much and am I overdrying my skin? When i don't wash in the afternoon, my skin feels really oily and unclean and also it is quite warm as it is June..

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 06/04/2013 5:09 pm

I use a SA face wash then apply BP as needed. I don't think applying both topically would be good because they both exfoliate the skin and could cause a lot of irritation, especially during the day. Some people use AHA and BP but I would only use that combo at night. There's only one BP you can buy at the drugstore that's 2.5%, "neutrogena on the spot" so you definitely could try that one. If your skin isn't flaking and dry from cleansing 3 times a day then I would say that's fine.

MemberMember
(@theonethatgotaway)

Posted : 06/05/2013 1:40 am

First of all, you should only wash your face TWICE a day. In the morning or when you take a shower AND at night BEFORE you go to sleep. Follow Dan's regimen, it will definitely help with your acne. I'm on week 2 already and I can see some of my acne have DISAPPEARED completely. Yes, in a short period of time and I had moderate acne two weeks ago. Although at the time, I thought it was severe x__x.

I used to use salicylic acid (Clean & Clear products) and I found that they did help me with my acne BUT they left me with red marks that lasted for more than a year. That's why I'd never use those products again. What I've been using so far is Clean & Clear's Persa Gel 5 that I bought from a drug store. I know it's a little bit stronger than Dan's treatment and I found that it made my skin flake but a moisturizer helped minimize that problem but I had to apply tons of it and wait for my skin to absorb it.

The stinging/burning sensation is an expected outcome and you may also feel it when you apply moisturizer after using BP on your skin. That's because BP helps peel your outer layer skin and exposes the fresh layer that is quite sensitive to these chemicals.

I've never used Dan's BP yet but I ordered it a few days ago and I should get it in a couple of days. I think it is worth it for it's price. I usually pay 6-9 dollars for the BP that lasts me for two weeks but they're in tiny tubes compared to Dan's 8oz or 16 oz BP treatment bottle.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 06/08/2013 4:03 am

Melmel said exactly what i was going to say. Not sure if she uses the same cleanser as me - mine is neutrogenas deep clean cream cleanser with SA. This is the best cleanser for my skin since it addresses all of my issues. (Sensitive, allergy prone, acne prone, oily, and combo skin.)

The way i apply my bp (same one she mentioned, been using it over ten years and i dont have acne because of this miracle product) but i apply a thin layer AFTER my moisturizer. If i do it before, i get dry and flaky in my combo areas.

I second theonethatgotaway's advice as well. Wash only twice a day. I dont usually make definitive statements since we are so different even when we have the same skin type, but that is very good advice. My skin is so oily after a few hours but i blot to make that feeling go away. Im on the quest to find a real cure for oily skin, which ive concluded after much trial and error is something that has to be fixed from the inside for me- topicals may make my skin "less oily" for the first few days but everything ultimately fails. I have learned through the great people here that washing away TOO many dead skin cells can make skin "appear" more oily because there is nothing to help soak up excess oil. I always thought dead skin cells were the enemy but i guess not. If i didnt break out, i would wash away less if i could but having acne prone skin, this doesnt work. :(

I personally wouldnt double up on acne meds, also sa spot treatments dont work for me anyway. Maybe try just the bp and if it doesnt work, try only the sa.

I think youre on the right track, just dial it back a bit. Less is more. :)