Notifications
Clear all

Eating coconut milk/ oil, good or bad?

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/08/2016 3:15 pm

I'm confused about coconut. I know its controversial as a topical, some people love some hate.
What about eating it? Coconut milk and water and oil is supposedly good fats and has positive benefits but on the inflammation scale its listed as very inflammatory.???

MemberMember
(@coce99)

Posted : 07/09/2016 10:52 am

I ate coconuts last week. I love coconut. The milk is a bit expensive for me but i get whole coconuts. If youre buying milk take the unsweetened sort. They dont effect my acne at all and is a great healthy snack. The thing is it contains Omega 6 so be sure to eat your omega 3 fats (fish, eggs...) to keep the balance.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/13/2016 12:02 am

I have been on a coconut oil rampage for a few weeks now. I cook everything with it, put a drop in smoothies (also coconut milk too lol), put it in my hair, on my face, give my dog a teaspoon every day. Havent noticed it affecting my skin in a bad way at all.. i guess the milk has a lot of sugar so watch out for that but its just so darn yummy!!

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 07/14/2016 12:13 pm

Coconut oil and coconut milk are medium-chain triglycerides and so luckily, will not cause histamine levels to rise (which results in inflammation). They are actually received and metabolized by our bodies like mother's milk is (pre-digested). Coconut meat is a stearic acid saturated fat which is also safe. However, if you are susceptible to histamines, you may want to play it safe and stay away from young coconut kefir, since the fermentation process spikes histamine levels.

I'm unfortunately one of those people whose skin loves to hate coconut oil :(. I have to wash my hands immediately after handling the stuff because even traces left on my hands means I could touch my face or chest and have hell to pay for days-weeks. However, my body loooves it on the inside. I use it in my coffee/tea to help me miss sweeteners less; I cook with it; and I also just swallow teaspoons full at random times if I need to take a pill or vitamin but don't have time for a meal first...or if my blood sugar feels wonky (it's quick and sturdy energy without the GI spike and coats it your tum nicely). If you're someone that forgets to eat a lot, it can be a lifesaver. Also...ANTIOXIDANTS! :)

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/14/2016 3:01 pm

2 hours ago, SkinDeeply said:

Coconut oil and coconut milk are medium-chain triglycerides and so luckily, will not cause histamine levels to rise (which results in inflammation). They are actually received and metabolized by our bodies like mother's milk is (pre-digested). Coconut meat is a stearic acid saturated fat which is also safe. However, if you are susceptible to histamines, you may want to play it safe and stay away from young coconut kefir, since the fermentation process spikes histamine levels.

I'm unfortunately one of those people whose skin loves to hate coconut oil :(. I have to wash my hands immediately after handling the stuff because even traces left on my hands means I could touch my face or chest and have hell to pay for days-weeks. However, my body loooves it on the inside. I use it in my coffee/tea to help me miss sweeteners less; I cook with it; and I also just swallow teaspoons full at random times if I need to take a pill or vitamin but don't have time for a meal first...or if my blood sugar feels wonky (it's quick and sturdy energy without the GI spike and coats it your tum nicely). If you're someone that forgets to eat a lot, it can be a lifesaver. Also...ANTIOXIDANTS! :)

Thats good to know. Does it cause diarrhea if you eat too much coconut oil? Just curious, how much is too much?

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 07/14/2016 3:59 pm

Eh. You know, it really depends on how delicate your system is. When I first began taking coconut oil, I definitely overdid it. I was probably consuming roughly a 1/2 cup a day when I look back on it (most of that on an empty stomach). And for a short while that resulted in what I imagine some might consider diarrhea? But still, not serious enough to be a major concern. Medium-chain triglycerides can be quite effective at softening/loosening bowels when taken in excess on an empty stomach, but unless you are terribly sensitive, it shouldn't cause pain, gas, or dehydration.

To be [maybe too] honest, the fact that I'm seemingly always on some new elimination diet/fast/cleanse/superfood/supplement/etc. means effortless "regularity" is sadly a thing of the past. So I think now, the far more modest 1-3 tablespoons of coconut oil I consume a day probably does me a lot of good in that respect.

I would say if that's something you're nervous about, you should maybe not take it with a stimulant (like mixing it in with your coffee/tea) right from the start, as that can potentially boost said stool-softening effects. Best to start with it as a cooking oil, imo--ideally with a protein. Digesting it with food seems to prevent it from running right through your system.

Start with 1-2 teaspoons a day, and if that agrees with you, you can gradually work your way up to a max of around 3-4 tablespoons a day over the course of a few weeks.

However, if you're calorie counting for whatever reason, it should be noted that even though coconut oil helps minimize the glycemic impact of your diet and boosts your metabolism, each tablespoon is still around 120 calories.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/14/2016 4:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try it in coffee, I have used it for my hair and nails, as a toothpaste with baking soda, and mixed with vugegar as an anti spider spray. I might put it in a smoothie too like maybe half a teaspoon.

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 07/14/2016 6:21 pm

Sooo good in smoothies! Just hafta be sure to pour the warmed oil in while the blender is running the cold ingredients to avoid it clumping. That spider spray sounds like a great idea. I'm gonna have to try that!

http://freecoconutrecipes.com/coconut-oil-recipes/

|^there's a website with about a million and a half other ways to eat it too  

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/14/2016 8:35 pm

Sooo good in smoothies! Just hafta be sure to pour the warmed oil in while the blender is running the cold ingredients to avoid it clumping. That spider spray sounds like a great idea. I'm gonna have to try that!

http://freecoconutrecipes.com/coconut-oil-recipes/

|^there's a website with about a million and a half other ways to eat it too  

I will...yes we have these giant mutant spiders in the basement...I think one of them was using my dumbells.:)

MemberMember
(@veganbat94)

Posted : 07/20/2016 11:37 pm

My body HATES coconut oil! I was eating an oil-free diet for about a year and my skin was the clearest it's been. 3 weeks ago I started cooking with coconut oil and my skin didn't break out until a week ago.. I broke out with 7 painful, inflamed cysts :|I had the same reaction, cysts in the same area of my face when I took fish oil pills. No more oil for me..

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 07/21/2016 2:16 pm

14 hours ago, veganbat94 said:

My body HATES coconut oil! I was eating an oil-free diet for about a year and my skin was the clearest it's been. 3 weeks ago I started cooking with coconut oil and my skin didn't break out until a week ago.. I broke out with 7 painful, inflamed cysts :|I had the same reaction, cysts in the same area of my face when I took fish oil pills. No more oil for me..

Were you extremely careful to keep your hands away from your face after handling the coconut oil? I can consume it just fine, but I have to wash my hands immediately after handling it because if I even touch my face after it's touched my hands, I'll break out with painful cysts. And when you're cooking/eating (especially vegan foods where you don't necessarily HAVE to wash your hands after handling), you're likely to get quite a bit on your hands and/or face around your mouth. 

Because unless someone is allergic to coconuts, there really isn't any reason they would break out from simply consuming it, though many break out from getting it on acne-prone areas of their skin. 

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/21/2016 4:52 pm

Were you extremely careful to keep your hands away from your face after handling the coconut oil? I can consume it just fine, but I have to wash my hands immediately after handling it because if I even touch my face after it's touched my hands, I'll break out with painful cysts. And when you're cooking/eating (especially vegan foods where you don't necessarily HAVE to wash your hands after handling), you're likely to get quite a bit on your hands and/or face around your mouth. 

Because unless someone is allergic to coconuts, there really isn't any reason they would break out from simply consuming it, though many break out from getting it on acne-prone areas of their skin. 

I can eat it fine , it seems. I asked because I seemed to react to coconut based fake ice cream but that had sugar and chocolate in it too.
I like coconut hair products, don't seem to break out from them.
Once my mom and I made a fresh coconut cake for easter but didn't realize it needs to be refrigerated. Next day....yeah smelled so funky :/

MemberMember
(@veganbat94)

Posted : 07/21/2016 5:19 pm

I probably didn't wash my hands every single time after handling it, and I used it on food that you eat with your hands like baked fries. So that actually could be part of the reason I broke out.. since the breakouts are above my mouth. I wonder if it's only because of getting some of it on my face though, maybe I do have a hard time digesting oil since I avoided oil for almost a year and my skin was the clearest it's been. Either way I'm not eating it anymore because this has been a nightmare lol. Not worth experimenting :|