Notifications
Clear all

Persistent acne got worse after quitting dairy

MemberMember
(@miss-bee-2)

Posted : 07/04/2016 6:42 am

Hi everyone,

I know everybody has their own cures and causes for acne but I was just wondering if there is anyone who have had a similar experience with me.

In the past, I tried many things: accutane, birth control pill, topical creams etc. And nothing really seemed to help permanently. Last year though, my acne got better after I started taking zinc and cod liver oil.

Last week, I made a radical decision and I quit dairy. Actually I used to drink so much milk, because I consume about 2-3 cups of coffee every day.

And well, my skin is now full of bumps with no heads. They are just deep bumps, small and large in size all over my cheeks. Maybe it's a detox, maybe I am allergic to soy (I drank like 2 cups of soy milk last week), but it's a bit worrying.

Any suggestions anyone before I head to another dermatologist who will tell me what I eat has nothing to do with acne?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/04/2016 7:23 am

Some peoples bodies are sensitive to changes but it usually will pass. Dairy is not that great for your body anyway so good for you for quitting. Try almond or coconut milk if you think soy may be an issue. Give the changes 6 months before making a decision.

MemberMember
(@miss-bee-2)

Posted : 07/04/2016 8:38 am

1 hour ago, leelowe1 said:

Some peoples bodies are sensitive to changes but it usually will pass.  Dairy is not that great for your body anyway so good for you for quitting.  Try almond or coconut milk if you think soy may be an issue.  Give the changes 6 months before making a decision.  

Thanks for the response and advice. Yes, I will definitely try almond & coconut milk next time. Dairy is just bad in general so I will try to hang in there with my decision :)

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/04/2016 9:24 am

Hi, could it be a coincidence? Have you changed anything or substituted so etching FOR dairy? If you're allergic to soy or nuts and use soy milk or but milk...could make it worse.
Ive been off coffee completely ass its said to be inflammatory anyway.

MemberMember
(@miss-bee-2)

Posted : 07/06/2016 5:20 am

On 7/4/2016 at 5:24 PM, snarkygirl said:

Hi, could it be a coincidence? Have you changed anything or substituted so etching FOR dairy? If you're allergic to soy or nuts and use soy milk or but milk...could make it worse. 
Ive been off coffee completely ass its said to be inflammatory anyway.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Well, I drank soy milk like twice. It could be a coincidence as well or a combination of things. It calmed a bit now too, so I guess time will tell :)

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/06/2016 8:59 am

3 hours ago, miss-bee said:

Well, I drank soy milk like twice. It could be a coincidence as well or a combination of things. It calmed a bit now too, so I guess time will tell :)

Yeah keep experimenting. Maybe try no milk for a week with no milk substitutes and milk for a week. Then try just soy.

MemberMember
(@misscreampuff)

Posted : 07/29/2016 1:34 pm

On 6 July 2016 at 4:59 PM, snarkygirl said:
On 6 July 2016 at 1:20 PM, miss-bee said:

Yeah keep experimenting. Maybe try no milk for a week with no milk substitutes and milk for a week. Then try just soy.

I  tried it, I consumed soy milk last week again and another terrible breakout. In fact, the worst I have had in years. So I am pretty sure that soy milk is worse for me compared to cow milk :(

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/29/2016 2:34 pm

You know, at least. Whatever works, if dairy is OK than stick with that. I'd asdu e organic or grass fed is healthiest for skin and otherwise.

MemberMember
(@bmx)

Posted : 07/29/2016 3:14 pm

I suggest you to don't drink soy milk. Any form of soy, including itself, it's prepared in lab today.

And I reccomend you to drink green tea morning on empty stomach. It helps a lot. But only 1 cup !

MemberMember
(@therealoji)

Posted : 07/29/2016 7:38 pm

Basically anything that screws with your hormones is going to be bad news for your acne; sometimes that is just a phase of life; sometimes it is your diet. For myself, I used to love chocolate and caffeine, but I gave it up. I also gave up sugar. And my breakouts have reduced significantly. I used to get bad cystic acne; all cystic is gone. I think caffeine and sugar can really mess some people's systems up. The only way you will know is by trying. There is little evidence that soy can cause acne. There seems to be strong evidence that dairy can cause acne, but each body is different. For myself, retin-a micro .04% has also worked great for a topical medication.

MemberMember
(@acnescience)

Posted : 07/29/2016 7:52 pm

There's contradictingevidence that milk can cause acne. In one study, they find that it worsens acne while another finds there's no correlation. I'd link you with the studies, but I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about if you actually opened up a medical journal.

I never drink soy, eat it, or even come near it. Why? Because it contains phytoestrogens and it's usually GMO, as 93% of soy is GMO in the United States. It's known to affect hormonal levels. Don't believe me? Do a quick google search or open a medical journal. So yes, I'd stray far away from it, but again it varies from person to person. It has very little benefit and can be substituted with other things like Almond Milk and other nut milks. By the way, nut milks are just vitamin fortified water with a nut inside (sometimes not even a nut).

Is cow milk bad? If you have acne and you don't want it getting any worse then steer away from it. Try to reduce consumption and if you can, eliminate it. You can slowly add it back in after you've controlled your acne. The key word here isexperimentation. Not everyone needs to avoid it and the same can be said about everything else. Experiment and you'll get your answer.

I literally hate it when people say avoid 'X' amounts of food because it's supposedly bad because it had "affected" their face . What affects them probably doesn't affect you. Keep that in mind and for anyone offering diet-related advice - everyone is different.

(P.S. I've eliminated almost all foods because I never understood this concept. People will steer you in the direction that all foods are bad and you'll end up just eating vegetables and certain fruits due to this. Take diet advice with a pinch of salt and experiment.)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/29/2016 8:55 pm

First of all, quitting dairy is not radical by any means. Whether it helps your acne situation or not, your body will thank you for not pumping breast milk into it on the regular, since you are an adult i assume and dairy is super bad for you anyways.

MemberMember
(@acnescience)

Posted : 07/30/2016 9:15 am

12 hours ago, sh1234 said:

First of all, quitting dairy is not radical by any means. Whether it helps your acne situation or not, your body will thank you for not pumping breast milk into it on the regular, since you are an adult i assume and dairy is super bad for you anyways.

I agree ^ and I've actually advised in not consuming it as it contains 5-alpha-P, a direct precursor of DHT which is known to stimulate oil production in your sebaceous glands. My entire argument is for individual people to experiment, as sometimes, eliminating dairy does nothing to your acne. But it can and most likely should.

You don't want people to stress on a diet as the stress related to dieting can be making your acne worse than eliminating that food. It's something very few people take into account. You should eliminate a food because you want to, not because you're forced to. I'm probably going to make a diet post addressing these key points and offering a more "generalized" stance on dieting in general.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/30/2016 9:20 am

13 hours ago, AcneScience said:

There's contradictingevidence that milk can cause acne. In one study, they find that it worsens acne while another finds there's no correlation. I'd link you with the studies, but I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about if you actually opened up a medical journal.

I never drink soy, eat it, or even come near it. Why? Because it contains phytoestrogens and it's usually GMO, as 93% of soy is GMO in the United States. It's known to affect hormonal levels. Don't believe me? Do a quick google search or open a medical journal. So yes, I'd stray far away from it, but again it varies from person to person. It has very little benefit and can be substituted with other things like Almond Milk and other nut milks. By the way, nut milks are just vitamin fortified water with a nut inside (sometimes not even a nut).

Is cow milk bad? If you have acne and you don't want it getting any worse then steer away from it. Try to reduce consumption and if you can, eliminate it. You can slowly add it back in after you've controlled your acne. The key word here isexperimentation. Not everyone needs to avoid it and the same can be said about everything else. Experiment and you'll get your answer.

I literally hate it when people say avoid 'X' amounts of food because it's supposedly bad because it hurt them. What affects them probably doesn't affect you. Keep that in mind and for anyone offering diet-related advice - everyone is different.

(P.S. I've eliminated almost all foods because I never understood this concept. People will steer you in the direction that all foods are bad and you'll end up just eating vegetables and certain fruits due to this. Take diet advice with a pinch of salt and experiment.)

so true! I became anorexic and food phobic a few years ago because I thought every bite could potentially cause problem.
I believe the theory that if you find your own worst triggers( for me there ate about 3-4) you can eat most foods ad long ad the majority of your diet is good and yuou have lots of anti inflammatories.

MemberMember
(@acnescience)

Posted : 07/30/2016 9:22 am

Just now, snarkygirl said:
so true! I became anorexic and food phobic a few years ago because I thought every bite could potentially cause problem.
I believe the theory that if you find your own worst triggers( for me there ate about 3-4) you can eat most foods ad long ad the majority of your diet is good and yuou have lots of anti inflammatories.

^ Exactly. This is a real thing that needs to be addressed as misinformation can turn you into a diet Nazi.

MemberMember
(@therealoji)

Posted : 09/12/2016 5:56 pm

On July 29, 2016 at 7:38 PM, theRealOJi said:

Basically anything that screws with your hormones is going to be bad news for your acne; sometimes that is just a phase of life; sometimes it is your diet. For myself, I used to love chocolate and caffeine, but I gave it up. I also gave up sugar. And my breakouts have reduced significantly. I used to get bad cystic acne; all cystic is gone. I think caffeine and sugar can really mess some people's systems up. The only way you will know is by trying. There is little evidence that soy can cause acne. There seems to be strong evidence that dairy can cause acne, but each body is different. For myself, retin-a micro .04% has also worked great for a topical medication.

This is a good thread. I just wanted to add to what I wrote above that I am pretty sure that alcohol causes my acne to get worse too, which is really unfortunate because I love the smell of beer (even though it can taste like piss) and the alcohol buzz occasionally. But for me, it's not worth it when 2-3 days down the road I break out like crazy in my T-Zone so for now I follow a pretty restricted diet.