Notifications
Clear all

So lost - should I try vitex?

MemberMember
(@chicanery)

Posted : 11/17/2015 12:57 pm

Hi guys,

I'm about to come off antibiotics + know my skin will break out because topicals just don't control it. I don't want accutaneor the pill.

I am sure my acne is caused by hormones as I experience a bad cystic breakout before EVERY period.I get my period every 20ish days . I get PMS symptoms before as well as the acne, and I am irritable, slightly depressed and insomniac most of the time. I also experience some unwanted facial hair.

What does my hormone issue sound like - low progesterone, low oestrogen and high testosterone?

Do you guys think I should try vitex? I am petrified about hair loss - who is likely to experience this whilst on it?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 11/17/2015 10:27 pm

9 hours ago, chicanery said:

Hi guys,

I'm about to come off antibiotics + know my skin will break out because topicals just don't control it. I don't want accutaneor the pill.

I am sure my acne is caused by hormones as I experience a bad cystic breakout before EVERY period.I get my period every 20ish days . I get PMS symptoms before as well as the acne, and I am irritable, slightly depressed and insomniac most of the time. I also experience some unwanted facial hair.

What does my hormone issue sound like - low progesterone, low oestrogen and high testosterone?

Do you guys think I should try vitex? I am petrified about hair loss - who is likely to experience this whilst on it?

Thanks!

You do sound like you have hormone issues if your period is every 20 days. Excess facial hair would suggest too much testosterone. Have you had your hormones tested or asked the dr about pcos? That might be worth doing.

I have been taking Estroblock (lowers bad estrogens) and vitex (to raise progesterone) for about 3 months. My periods are pretty regular but i do get some pms symptoms and worse acne around that time. I haven't had any hair loss - is that a possible side effect?? I haven't felt there has been a significant improvement in my acne. There have been lesspimples before my period and less pms sypmtoms but not the miraculous cure i was hoping for.The estroblock is really expensive so i'm having a break from it. The vitex was pretty cheap though so will probably keep going with ita bit longer.

Hormones are very complicated things so just because something works for one person doesnt mean it will work for another. Because your periods are irregular and you have other symptoms i think it would probably be worth seeing a dr or naturopath. I dont think vitex alone will effect testosterone.