Notifications
Clear all

Desperate. Autoimmune disease?

MemberMember
(@helpingafriend)

Posted : 10/09/2015 8:52 pm

My friend has come to her end. She has lost a lot of weight due to not being able to eat certain foods due to massive cystic breakouts. She has gone to multiple Drs all of which say there's no way foods and her symptoms are related.  The photo attached are the items she cannot eat. She has gone from 115 pounds to barely 90. Please help!

image.png

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 10/09/2015 10:56 pm

I've been on a similiar diet for the past 7 months, this is what I haven't ate:sugar, dairy, chips, fast-food, oceanic fish, high glycemic index food, corn, eggs, bananas, grapes, nuts, almonds, soda, sweets, pasta, pizza, potatoes, foods rich in iodine etc. None, zero.

My dermatologist told me I have to keep this diet for my whole life. This diet won't cure acne, but it will keep it under control. I still brokeout, but less and I went from having severe acne to moderate-to-mild acne. Depends on your friend, but to me, this is not a solution. I've also seen a few dermatologists in the last month and they've told me there's not enough proof of acne-diet relationship. It does help for a lot of people, me included, but at the same time, it doesn't do much or anything for other people. Again, it's not a cure, it's a temporary solution. I started eating normal again, to see if I still breakout as bad as I was in the past. And if I do, I won't waste any more time and get on Roaccutane.

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 10/09/2015 11:08 pm

Sounds like my diet but I love the way I eat! Im vegan, gluten free, and avoid pretty much anything processed. Mostly organic, and im also allergic to some fruits and veggies. But her list isnt too extensive and it looks like she can eat a lot of other fruits and veggies and grains. Nows the time to explore new food!

also if shes concerned about an autoimmune disease the obvious answer is to get tested

MemberMember
(@helpingafriend)

Posted : 10/10/2015 11:58 am

She is going to try to see an endocrinologist soon. She's wasting away and it's not good. I believe right now she is basically down to brown rice and sweet potatoes and yams. Occasionally she has some tuna. I'm going to mention maybe all her food being organic. Maybe that will help in the meantime until she gets some more help.

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 10/10/2015 5:11 pm

Oh theres plenty to eat! Check out my food ig @exningeats

coconut aminos is a great salt alternative. Nuts and nut butters are a good protein source aside from quinoa, millet, and buckwheat

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/14/2015 10:44 am

Where did that list come from? Is the picture while on the diet or off? Because if it's on, she likely has a useless list. And I would try avoiding citrus, since it causes cysts/nodules for many people and isn't on the list.

Get her to add in other foods. There's no reason she can't get adequate calories without those foods.

How about gluten free oats, buckwheat & quinoa to replace the gluten grains? Sweet potatoes & squashes to replace potatoes.
Beans like lentils, pintos, garbonzos, lima are fairly benign although you should soak them before cooking to reduce antinutrients. Same with the grains. I really like red lentils which cook really fast & can easily cook until they are mush, making them another good substitute for mashed potatoes. I add sea salt & turmeric when I cook them.

Try sea salt in place of iodized salt. It will also help provide essential trace minerals.

Mackerel, herring, sardines & salmon are much better fish than tuna. lower in mercury & higher in omega 3 fats and more sustainable. And you can get canned mackerel from bumble bee for an inexpensive protein source . (but note you shouldn't eat large species of mackerel. The ones in the can are small)

Also, cooking oils aren't all created equal so it's silly to put that on the list like that. Avoid vegetable oil, crisco & margarine. That's for sure. Be carefull with PUFA oils like canola, grapeseed etc. It is important to be concerned about quality of the oil as PUFAs go rancid quickly. But coconut oil doesn't.

MemberMember
(@helpingafriend)

Posted : 10/14/2015 12:47 pm

That's how her face breaks out when she eats something that doesn't agree. She is going to a specialty hospital a few hours away