Notifications
Clear all

Most Effective Natural Treatment?

MemberMember
(@unluckygenetics)

Posted : 05/22/2015 12:55 am

After several years of using over-the-counter products, prescription creams and topical antibiotics without lasting success, I have decided to abandon this approach. I looked closer at my acne, and suspected it was hormonal. After a visit to the endocrinologist, it was deduced that my acne is a potential symptom of PCOS. I am now taking the anti-androgen blocker 'cyproterone acetate' to combat high levels of testosterone and hopefully reduced my (daily) break outs.

I am also taking zinc and omega-3 fish oil.

Now that I am in the process of addressing my acne internally, I am looking to reduce the red marks, bumps, whiteheads and scarring on my upper cheeks and around my jaw. My forehead is clear.

I am currently using these DIY/natural methods:

- Cleanse my face with a combination of blended oatmeal and chamomile + water (very gentle exfoliant)

- Apply chamomile tea as a makeshift toner

- When at home, I apply a mask of oatmeal + mashed banana + honey + milk for about an hour, to soften my scars

- When wearing make-up, I cleanse at night with the OCM (pumpkin-seed oil + castor oil)

- Apply chamomile tea

- Apply lemon juice to my scars/active areas

This is the routine that I have had going for me for the past week. I am yet to see benefits from either the internal or external actions, but patience is the key, right?

Other methods that I might attempt:

- Calamine lotion

- Adding baking soda to my oatmeal cleanser for a stronger effect

Any suggestions/criticisms? I am reluctant to buy anything with a high chemical content, as all moisturizers/cleansers/spot treatments I have tried thus far have broken me out or been ineffective.

MemberMember
(@darkenedcloud)

Posted : 05/26/2015 4:50 pm

It sounds pretty good :) apart from the mashed bananas, ive tried that a couple of times but it always breaks me out.. :(

I have a similar routine right now. I wash my face either with oatmeal or oils (jojoba + avocado). I use raw honey for spot treatment. Sometimes diluted ACV as a toner. This sorta works for me, it isnt as aggressive as chemical treatments which I think is a good thing. But it hasnt cured me either. Also, I have yet to find a good natural moisturiser (from an all natural brand such as 100% pure or living libations). I was unemployed for a few months but now I can finally afford to buy stuff again, hurray! So Im kinda curious to hear about other people's natural routines as well!

Oh and baking soda is a good idea, but be careful with the amount you put on your face and how long you leave it on. It can be incredibly drying and even damaging to your skin.