Notifications
Clear all

Epsom Salts, Tea tree & Vinegar

MemberMember
(@ukochana)

Posted : 11/12/2004 8:39 am

Hey Deville,

I'm glad that you're having such good luck with the regimen, you're clearing up faster than I did! Although I didn't use the Living Nature products...but I've been looking them up online, and they look really great - all natural, w/o chemical preservatives - awesome! I think I might purchase the Vitalising Toner - it's not greasy, right? I can't stand anything greasy on my face (after years of wearing greasy sunscreen each and every day, I have developed a very strong aversion to creams). But I figure that I have to at least protect my skin a little bit - and that gel sounds great.

lllynch - it is important to do the cotton pads at the beginning, because you're creating a poultice that draws out all the gunk in your pores, if you just leave the solution on to dry, you're not drawing anything out, just drying out the zits - so they'll dry with the crap still inside - and you're still stuck with clogged pores that can re-infect. I think extraction is very important - as long as it's done right. The solution loosens all the blackheads/whiteheads and anything clogging the pore, so they come out with minimal squeezing. But most people forget to disinfect afterwards, which is extremely important!! Don't extract, unless you have a couple hours afterwards to keep on applying the solution w/ tea tree or that manuka stuff that deville uses. Once all of the active zits have come out, and they're nicely drying, you don't have to use the cotton pads anymore, just use it as a toner, or a scrub to keep the pores clear.

Hope this helps

MemberMember
(@roar)

Posted : 11/12/2004 11:24 am

can't you drink epsom salts to do a liver flush, also?

MemberMember
(@stevelewis)

Posted : 11/12/2004 11:36 am

I'm sitting here with cotton balls soaked in Epsom Salt solution stuck to my face. It feels really weird as if my skin is shrinking under it >_<.

MemberMember
(@deville)

Posted : 11/12/2004 4:15 pm

I'm sitting here with cotton balls soaked in Epsom Salt solution stuck to my face. It feels really weird as if my skin is shrinking under it >_<.

MemberMember
(@l33tpete)

Posted : 11/12/2004 9:55 pm

hey deville, can you describe the smell of the living nature honey gel? i thought about getting it before but read comments about the smell and changed my mind, but hearing your praises too makes me wonder...

Could you be more specific on how it smells exactly? Anything you can think of it smells similar to?

Is it worse than the "sour, dirty sock" smell of ACV? If its like a bad cologne/perfume i can deal with that, but something along the lines of rotting garbage or horse manure i dunno....

MemberMember
(@stevelewis)

Posted : 11/12/2004 10:38 pm

Hey Deville,

I'm glad that you're having such good luck with the regimen, you're clearing up faster than I did! Although I didn't use the Living Nature products...but I've been looking them up online, and they look really great - all natural, w/o chemical preservatives - awesome! I think I might purchase the Vitalising Toner - it's not greasy, right? I can't stand anything greasy on my face (after years of wearing greasy sunscreen each and every day, I have developed a very strong aversion to creams). But I figure that I have to at least protect my skin a little bit - and that gel sounds great.

lllynch - it is important to do the cotton pads at the beginning, because you're creating a poultice that draws out all the gunk in your pores, if you just leave the solution on to dry, you're not drawing anything out, just drying out the zits - so they'll dry with the crap still inside - and you're still stuck with clogged pores that can re-infect. I think extraction is very important - as long as it's done right. The solution loosens all the blackheads/whiteheads and anything clogging the pore, so they come out with minimal squeezing. But most people forget to disinfect afterwards, which is extremely important!! Don't extract, unless you have a couple hours afterwards to keep on applying the solution w/ tea tree or that manuka stuff that deville uses. Once all of the active zits have come out, and they're nicely drying, you don't have to use the cotton pads anymore, just use it as a toner, or a scrub to keep the pores clear.

Hope this helps

MemberMember
(@deville)

Posted : 11/13/2004 8:16 am

hey deville, can you describe the smell of the living nature honey gel? i thought about getting it before but read comments about the smell and changed my mind, but hearing your praises too makes me wonder...

Could you be more specific on how it smells exactly? Anything you can think of it smells similar to?

Is it worse than the "sour, dirty sock" smell of ACV? If its like a bad cologne/perfume i can deal with that, but something along the lines of rotting garbage or horse manure i dunno....

MemberMember
(@deville)

Posted : 11/13/2004 8:18 am

How exactly do you utilize it as a scrub or toner?

MemberMember
(@lafasta)

Posted : 11/13/2004 12:12 pm

First just wanted to say thanx to ukochana for replying to me, and showing me the link to this board. I'm going to start this new regimen tonite and see how it works. I just have a couple questions before i start:

1) Do i need to wash my face before i use the epsom salt solution?

2) My face is red, dry and irritated right now, will the epsom salt make it worse, or more flaky?

3) How do i make the vinegar/tea tree oil wash?

Any help u guys can give would be great. Thanx again!

MemberMember
(@ukochana)

Posted : 11/13/2004 3:15 pm

Hi Lafasta,

You need to put the solution on a clean face - ie. free of makeup/creams/etc. I really like Cetaphil oily skin cleanser, but I guess it depends on your preference. I only washed my face with cleanser at night, and then I used the epsom salts solution (as you don't want to be walking around during the day with dried salt on your face:). At first, I recommend using the solution as a poultice to draw out all of the zits (that is, using cotton pads as explained above). When your skin starts clearing, you can just use it as a toner, without leaving the cotton on. And then you can just use it as a scrub like I do.

For your second question - I actually find that my skin heals much more quickly with the epsom salt washes, like redness, inflammation, and scabs are significantly reduced. My guess is that they would actually help you with your problem, but as a reminder - they will STING the first couple of times until your skin gets used to it.

Actually, this reminds me how I got the idea to use epsom salts in the first place - my dog was bitten, and had a large wound, which became infected with - well, you know what - what the vet kept on stressing was that epsom salts were crucial to getting the infection out (along with antibiotics he prescribed), because they draw out the infection, and help with healing. Anyhow, so I guess this is based in 'real' science...even if it is doggy science.

As for your third question, I've already posted that up like three times, so take a look above.

Hope this helps

MemberMember
(@ukochana)

Posted : 11/13/2004 3:20 pm

Deville,

I placed my order from [Removed] for the vitalising toner, and a couple of things for my mom (christmas present:)...hopefully my order will come BEFORE christmas.

MemberMember
(@lafasta)

Posted : 11/13/2004 5:09 pm

Thanx so much, i'm going to start this regimen 2nite!!!

MemberMember
(@deville)

Posted : 11/13/2004 5:54 pm

Hello...just writing to tell everyone that I've remained zit free so far...I usually have at least two or three at one given time, and so this is simply awesome! Also, the redness and inflammation from past zits is going down, and now all I have to worry about are the red marks (hate those, cause even though there's no 'real' zits, these things make it look like I've still got a face full of them!!).

I also have a new 'discovery' to share - I have eczema all over my neck and hands, and to my surprise, wherever the epsom salt solution has either dripped down, or touched, my eczema is fading away! Like half my neck (where the solution dripped down) is 'normal' again, while the other half is red, itchy and basically rash-like. I can't believe this!! I've been struggling with cortisones, and now elidel for basically my entire life, and all it took was some $2.99 salts??? OMG, not to mention that this is sooo much healthier for my skin than the other stuff!

So I tried it on the inside of my elbows, and...it stung...a lot...like I thought I wouldn't be able to take the stinging, but I waited it out, and it subsided within a couple of minutes. And throughout the day, the huge patches of eczema basically shrunk down to dramatically smaller patches...and the itching has stopped...geez, who knew that all it took was some epsom salts??

MemberMember
(@chikin)

Posted : 11/13/2004 8:12 pm

I posted in the thread in the regimen section, I'm trying this method at the moment and after just 1 day I've got pretty promising results!

*fingers crossed*

I'll keep you all updated on my progress!

MemberMember
(@deville)

Posted : 11/14/2004 12:32 pm

Hey Good luck chikin...hope it works for you as well as it works for me.

I started gettin a zit on my chin last night (oh, I can tell when the suckers are coming)...so I slept with a cotton pad on it all night...I peeled it off in the morning, and overnight, the zit had drained into a whitehead!! How great is that?? So now I'm sitting here disinfecting it...so much time we acne sufferers spend on our faces!! But, for me, it's worth it...I've never seen my skin heal so fast...all of my past zits have basically healed now, and the ones I started treating with epsom salts barely leave any red marks...it's just the past red marks from before that are still lingering.

MemberMember
(@stevelewis)

Posted : 11/14/2004 2:50 pm

Hey Good luck chikin...hope it works for you as well as it works for me.

I started gettin a zit on my chin last night (oh, I can tell when the suckers are coming)...so I slept with a cotton pad on it all night...I peeled it off in the morning, and overnight, the zit had drained into a whitehead!! How great is that?? So now I'm sitting here disinfecting it...so much time we acne sufferers spend on our faces!! But, for me, it's worth it...I've never seen my skin heal so fast...all of my past zits have basically healed now, and the ones I started treating with epsom salts barely leave any red marks...it's just the past red marks from before that are still lingering.

MemberMember
(@chikin)

Posted : 11/14/2004 6:54 pm

Well day 2 and my skin is looking really good! Just hoping this isnt a rare patch of no acne smile.gif

I don't mind the salt residue, obviously I'm not out and about in public or at work with crusty salt over my face tongue.gif I mean looking at the results the epsom salts have shown me so far in 2 days, is a little odd sensation, crusty salt and the effort of sticking sheets of tissue paper to my face is worth it? HELL YES!

I do feel like the biggest gimp with a face covered in wet tissues, and I got some funny comments from the rest of the family last night heh, but if it works it's all worth it to me smile.gif

MemberMember
(@deville)

Posted : 11/14/2004 8:41 pm

Well day 2 and my skin is looking really good! Just hoping this isnt a rare patch of no acne smile.gif

I don't mind the salt residue, obviously I'm not out and about in public or at work with crusty salt over my face tongue.gif I mean looking at the results the epsom salts have shown me so far in 2 days, is a little odd sensation, crusty salt and the effort of sticking sheets of tissue paper to my face is worth it? HELL YES!

I do feel like the biggest gimp with a face covered in wet tissues, and I got some funny comments from the rest of the family last night heh, but if it works it's all worth it to me smile.gif

MemberMember
(@lushgal)

Posted : 11/14/2004 11:16 pm

Wow, I have just read all the entries here about this new regimen. Sounds quite effective in eliminate acnes. I have moderate acne and perhaps i should try this out and keep all of you updated. Which one is better? Epsom salt solution or vinegar? I have very sensitive face.

MemberMember
(@deville)

Posted : 11/14/2004 11:54 pm

Wow, I have just read all the entries here about this new regimen. Sounds quite effective in eliminate acnes. I have moderate acne and perhaps i should try this out and keep all of you updated. Which one is better? Epsom salt solution or vinegar? I have very sensitive face.

MemberMember
(@lllynch)

Posted : 11/15/2004 2:07 am

Hey ukochana, I've been using the cotton pads for about 5 days now, and have really liked the results so far. I did break out in one area, but it's probably just the salt bringing everything up. I was wondering how long it took for you to get comfortable enough to stop using the cotton pads, and just use the salts as a scrub and toner. thanks.

MemberMember
(@ukochana)

Posted : 11/15/2004 9:01 am

Hey ukochana, I've been using the cotton pads for about 5 days now, and have really liked the results so far. I did break out in one area, but it's probably just the salt bringing everything up. I was wondering how long it took for you to get comfortable enough to stop using the cotton pads, and just use the salts as a scrub and toner. thanks.

MemberMember
(@deville)

Posted : 11/15/2004 7:14 pm

Hey thanx for the tip ukochana, I used baking soda and it's super gentle and really works at getting rid of dry skin...I got another whitehead today, it cropped up from a spot that looked suspiciously like a new zit forming...I'm so paranoid...but it's gone now, and face is starting to look really healthy actually. Although I am more and more certain that my past red marks are going to leave small indents - as they are fading, and I am starting to see that there are underlying indentations which are not going away cry.gif

It's ok, a little bit of Living Nature's vitalising toner, and everything looks much more even and toned:)

If I don't break out within the next couple of days, then I'll know that this regimen is working, and it's not just a clear interval for me.

MemberMember
(@chikin)

Posted : 11/15/2004 11:36 pm

Hrm just as I was having really good results I woke up today with it really bad sad.gif I'm gonna go back on the BP, might still use the epsom salts as an exfoliator every couple of days as thats what I felt I was missing.

Have a look here -

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=35580

MemberMember
(@noether)

Posted : 11/16/2004 12:04 am

Has anybody experienced fine lines or wrinkles from leaving the epsom salts on all night? Do you leave the white salt all over your face, even where you don't have cotton pads applied?

This is the third night I've used the epsom salts, but so far I've only kept the salt and pads on for about 2 hrs. and then I rinse because I'm scared if I leave it on all night it will dry my face to the point of appearing damaged/ wrinkly.

Also, while it did take care of the pustule faster than normal, I haven't really noticed any difference with the other parts of my face, except that my skin feels softer. I have alot of flesh-colored bumps and smallish pimples that I'm hoping the salts will take care of, in addition to the bigger acne. Patience. eusa_wall.gif