Notifications
Clear all

Digestive Enzymes And Breakouts: A Connection?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/05/2014 9:12 pm

Does anyone know why it is that a person may break out from digestive enzymes? Or has anyone here noticed a connection between taking enzymes and suffering breakouts?

On 3-4 occasions, I took Bromelain. Each time, I lasted only 3 days on it, as I always developed a cyst or nodule. I hadn't changed my diet during these trial periods, so I know that it was the enzymes.

My problem is that my digestive system is WAY out of whack, and not just because I suffer from IBS. I've no doubt that my body severely lacks digestive enzymes, and I've recently ordered Enzymedica enzymes ( http://www.enzymedica.com/store/Digest-Basic ); still, I fear that my skin will suffer a breakout from this product, especially since it's more potent than taking Bromelain. At the same time, I know that my gut would greatly benefit from some help. It's a Catch-22.

PI

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 05/07/2014 4:33 pm

I do not know about bromelain, but pineapples..source of bromelain break me out into deep cyst like acne.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/07/2014 5:00 pm

I do not know about bromelain, but pineapples..source of bromelain break me out into deep cyst like acne.

That's an interesting connection, though a frustrating one, I'm sure. Fresh pineapple doesn't make me break me out, but Bromelain does.

Today, I received Digestive Basic (by Enzymedica) and will start taking one capsule per day starting tonight. It doesn't contain Bromelain or Papain; rather, it contains enzymes common to the human digestive tract--e.g., Protease, Amylase, etc. My fingers remain crossed that I don't develop any cysts or nodules from it; I guess I'll know within a week, or less. :/

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/07/2014 9:13 pm

What were the inactive ingredients in the bromelain?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/07/2014 10:12 pm

Maltodextrin and gelatin.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/07/2014 11:20 pm

Maltodextrin and gelatin.

Oh, never mind then. Hopefully the new enzymes won't break you out. I'm thinking about trying enzymes soon too. Keep us updated :)

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/07/2014 11:42 pm

altodextrin and gelatin.

Oh, never mind then. Hopefully the new enzymes won't break you out. I'm thinking about trying enzymes soon too. Keep us updated.

I've taken my first (new) enzyme pill, and my fingers shall remain crossed. I'll post about my experience on it in about a week's time.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/07/2014 11:51 pm

Does anyone know why it is that a person may break out from digestive enzymes? Or has anyone here noticed a connection between taking enzymes and suffering breakouts?

On 3-4 occasions, I took Bromelain. Each time, I lasted only 3 days on it, as I always developed a cyst or nodule. I hadn't changed my diet during these trial periods, so I know that it was the enzymes.

My problem is that my digestive system is WAY out of whack, and not just because I suffer from IBS. I've no doubt that my body severely lacks digestive enzymes, and I've recently ordered Enzymedica enzymes ( http://www.enzymedica.com/store/Digest-Basic ); still, I fear that my skin will suffer a breakout from this product, especially since it's more potent than taking Bromelain. At the same time, I know that my gut would greatly benefit from some help. It's a Catch-22.

PI

I haven't had much luck from bromelain when I took it last year. It's not really a digestive enzyme in my opinion. You need enzymes that break down lactose, protein, gluten, etc. I prefer enzymedica's digest spectrum. I think it's the best out of all of enzymedica's supplements. Start with 1 a day, and take it with your largest meal. When you get used to it, you can also take it on an empty stomach...it helps to break down undigested protein in the GI tract if taken on an empty stomach.

Also, gelatin can cause breakouts, it might be that. Enzymedica doesn't use gelatin in their capsules, they use cellulose...although I read somewhere that cellulose can be hard to digest if you have digestive issues, but I trust that the company did their research on that. I haven't had issues with it.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/08/2014 8:45 am

I haven't had much luck from bromelain when I took it last year. It's not really a digestive enzyme in my opinion. You need enzymes that break down lactose, protein, gluten, etc. I prefer enzymedica's digest spectrum. I think it's the best out of all of enzymedica's supplements. Start with 1 a day, and take it with your largest meal. When you get used to it, you can also take it on an empty stomach...it helps to break down undigested protein in the GI tract if taken on an empty stomach.

No, I don't believe that Bromelain counts as a digestive enzyme. It's mainly thought to help break down--or at least soften--mucous, which is why some people give it to their pet rabbits. The idea is to weaken mucous that may bind fur, so as to help prevent large furballs that could create a blockage along the digestive tract. In short, Bromelain may be beneficial to rabbits--and for soothing inflammation in any mammal's digestive tract--but I agree that it's not beneficial for digestion, itself.

I started with Enzymedica's Digest Basic because I'm uncertain how sensitive I'll be to any/all digestive aids. But if I don't have any massive breakouts from this formula, I'll consider stepping it up and moving on to Digest Spectrum or at least Digest. (I won't touch any probiotic formula, though; I seem to break out easily from probiotics, even though I know my system desperately needs them. I've even broken out from prebiotics--namely ACV tablets and sauerkraut. How crazy is that?)

Also, gelatin can cause breakouts, it might be that. Enzymedica doesn't use gelatin in their capsules, they use cellulose...although I read somewhere that cellulose can be hard to digest if you have digestive issues, but I trust that the company did their research on that. I haven't had issues with it.

Hopefully my digestive system can break down the cellulose. It'll be a bummer if I can't even benefit from the most basic Enzymedica formula. But I fear that I may have trouble breaking it down, as my system is fairly shot and needs a reboot. (I was on/off antibiotics for several years, thanks to dermatologists who don't know what else to rely on.)

I wonder if there's something I could take at the same time as Digest Basic that could help break down the cellulose, like maybe a tablespoon of ACV? Not that I want ACV on my teeth all the time, though....

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/09/2014 6:25 pm

You could always break open the capsule and dilute the enzymes in water, but it doesn't always work because the powder is quite thick.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/09/2014 9:25 pm

You could always break open the capsule and dilute the enzymes in water, but it doesn't always work because the powder is quite thick.

Since there's not a ton of powder within a single capsule--which is the dosage amount--I probably could make your suggestion work, even if it's kind of thick. Otherwise, I could try mixing the powder into any food that has an ingredient with some form of viscosity--e.g., dressing, gravy, EVOO, etc. At least if I try it and it doesn't work, I'll know better for the next time. :)

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/23/2014 10:15 am

've taken my first (new) enzyme pill, and my fingers shall remain crossed. I'll post about my experience on it in about a week's time.

It's been more than a week, but I can report that I've not experienced any breakouts from taking Enzymedica Digest Basic. I think it may be starting to help my digestion, though I'm not 100% certain just yet. After I finish this bottle, I probably will switch to a stronger formulation--presumably Digest--and work my way up to Digest Spectrum.

I've my doubts about trying a formula with probiotics, though. I know that my gut flora is shot, but I broke out from the last probiotic--a fairly potent one--that I last tried; so I'm leery.