Notifications
Clear all

Too Many Antioxidants - Bad For Skin?

MemberMember
(@discoverer)

Posted : 04/18/2014 9:34 am

Hello,

Ok so I'll just get to the point.

So I started drinking green tea like 2 years ago, not because of acne or anything, just because it's healthy. My skin has always been alright I guess, if that's what you want to call it. You know just the occasional pimple (whitehead) here and there, and the tiny hormanal ones aroung my chin every so often. But when I started drinking green tea and eating healthy, so loads of veggies and fruit my skin started getting more of these occasional pimples. But saying that, I also eat junk food (chocolate and cakes etc), but not as much as I used too, because I have a real sweet tooth. So at the beginning I just thought my skin was in it's purging phase, but it never stopped. And my chin especially got more unclear. But I got so hooked on green tea I couldn't stop drinking it, and at the same time I didn't really think it was the green tea because on the web you only read positive stuff about it. But now recently I have finally reduced the amount of green tea I used to drink, which was about 3-4 cups a day, to 1 cup or maybe 2 cups, but the second cup is me re-steeping the tea leaves of my first cup. And I've been eating more junk food again, but my skin hasn't been getting any pimples here and there. And my chin area has cleared up again! But I'm still eating veggies and other healthy stuff. :)

So I was thinking could it be that, when I was drinking more green tea, I was getting to many antioxidants, because I was also eating vegetables and fruit, which are also a source of antioxidants. And maybe that was causing my skin to constantly purge? At one point I thought it was the caffeine, but when I drink coffee which would be no more than one cup, and other sources of caffeine like iced tea, dark chocolate, my skin is still ok.

I don't know if I make any sense, that's just my theory... I would love to know what you guys think :)

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 04/18/2014 3:13 pm

Green tea breaks meout around my chin--surprisingly ocassional cup of black tea has no effect

Usually my chin never breaks out..

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/18/2014 11:49 pm

No, it's not the antioxidant quantity that's the problem, it's probably green tea. How green tea works varies according to each person. Noone can tell for sure how your body will react to it, and there are some studies that suggest it can actually increase androgens, which means an increase in acne. I would stay away from excess if I were you.