Notifications
Clear all

What's The Cause Of This Breakout

MemberMember
(@ashby101)

Posted : 03/31/2014 9:51 am

So a month ago I broke out really badly.. It started with inflammed acne on my neck, under my jawline and under my mouth and I got these rashes on both sides of my lips. Two days later they also came to my cheeks, but it was strange.. I normally have maybe one or two zits that are not very inflammed, but this time they were really red, big and itchy. So I did the math and then I noticed the breakout happened just after I ate pickles in vinegar for a week long. I think I was allergic to hem so I threw them away and started a new diet at the same time.

I cut out all the bread and other bad foods and began eating: a lot of brocolli, tomatoes, spinach, avocado, fruits, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, coconut oil, carrots, 100grams of pumpkin seeds a day and, green beans, salmon and chicken. After my new diet I was spotless for one week, I was so happy because I thought I found the solution. However, a few days ago I noticed(again)two inflammed spots on my neck/jawline and a cystic zit was forming just under my lips..just like a month ago!

Maybe it's the histamine that I'm intolerant to that were in the pickles and vinegar and are also in the tomatoes, spinach and avocado? But if thats the case, why did I clear up first? It doesnt make sense.

I'm eating no wheat, no dairy, no gluten, no grains, nothing and I'm still having problems with my acne.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/31/2014 1:44 pm

You might have to play around with your diet for a while until you find something that works. It also might not be your diet at all. Have you been using any new skin products, shampoo, etc. ?

MemberMember
(@ashby101)

Posted : 03/31/2014 2:19 pm

You might have to play around with your diet for a while until you find something that works. It also might not be your diet at all. Have you been using any new skin products, shampoo, etc. ?

Hmm well, this is the first time I think about it, but I've been using a new cleanser with Salycylic Acid and Eucalyptus in it and there are a few people reporting on the internet that SA broke them out.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/31/2014 5:02 pm

Hmm well, this is the first time I think about it, but I've been using a new cleanser with Salycylic Acid and Eucalyptus in it and there are a few people reporting on the internet that SA broke them out.

What are the ingredients in the cleanser?

MemberMember
(@ashby101)

Posted : 03/31/2014 5:12 pm

Salicylic Acid .50%. Other ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract, Angelica Archangelica Extract, Echinacea Angustifolia Extract, Allium Sativum (Garlic) Bulb Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Extract, Passiflora Incarnata Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Ophiopogon Japonicas Root Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Extract, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Lactic Acid, Algae Extract, Menthol, Sodium PCA, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Camphor, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Benzyl PCA, Disodium EDTA Copper, Citral, Limonene, Geraniol, Citronellol.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 03/31/2014 5:26 pm

There are several ingredients in your cleanser that can cause irritation. You mentioned salicylic acid being the possible culprit but eucalyptus can be very irritating and so can menthol and the citrus extracts! So why don't you try using a gentle cleanser that does not contain any irritating ingredients (or oil or alcohol) and see if that helps. There is a good gentle cleanser made by CeraVe (not sure where you live but it is available in Canada and the United States).

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@ashby101)

Posted : 03/31/2014 5:51 pm

There are several ingredients in your cleanser that can cause irritation. You mentioned salicylic acid being the possible culprit but eucalyptus can be very irritating and so can menthol and the citrus extracts! So why don't you try using a gentle cleanser that does not contain any irritating ingredients (or oil or alcohol) and see if that helps. There is a good gentle cleanser made by CeraVe (not sure where you live but it is available in Canada and the United States).

Good luck.

Thanks! But I live in the Netherlands so I won't be able to buy CeraVe. Maybe another cleansing tip, what also ships to Europe? Maybe Dan's cleanser? (sorry for the wrong section on this forum)

It seems like every cleanser has something bad in it

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 03/31/2014 6:03 pm

Dan's cleanser is great - I wasn't sure if you wanted to pay shipping etc. so I didn't suggest it.

There is also a cleanser made by Clean and Clear for sensitive skin that is good (can you get that where you live?)

MemberMember
(@ashby101)

Posted : 03/31/2014 6:38 pm

Dan's cleanser is great - I wasn't sure if you wanted to pay shipping etc. so I didn't suggest it.

There is also a cleanser made by Clean and Clear for sensitive skin that is good (can you get that where you live?)

Unfortunately not. I can get Cetaphil around the corner though, maybe should try that one?

If I'm going for Dan's products, I shouldn't get the BP as well right? cause my skin is very sensitive and bp can be irritating. So just the cleanser, moisturizer and oil I reckon?

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 03/31/2014 7:33 pm

Personally I like Dan's cleanser and bp but I don't really like the moisturizer. I find that it doesn't absorb into the skin very well and kind of sits on top, but everyone's skin is different so it may work for you.

If you want a good place to see the ratings of different brands of cleansers, moisturizers and more go to www.paulaschoice.com They rate all brands and their ratings seem quite fair. It is a good reference if you are looking for a new product.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/31/2014 8:14 pm

Salicylic Acid .50%. Other ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract, Angelica Archangelica Extract, Echinacea Angustifolia Extract, Allium Sativum (Garlic) Bulb Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Extract, Passiflora Incarnata Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Ophiopogon Japonicas Root Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Extract, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Lactic Acid, Algae Extract, Menthol, Sodium PCA, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Camphor, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Benzyl PCA, Disodium EDTA Copper, Citral, Limonene, Geraniol, Citronellol.

Yeah your cleanser has algae extract which can be very comedogenic. A bunch of the other extracts are likely to be irritating and potentially pore clogging as well. Can you buy Simple where you live? They have a good cleanser with minimal ingredients called the kind to skin refreshing gel wash.

MemberMember
(@ashby101)

Posted : 04/01/2014 4:45 am

Yeah your cleanser has algae extract which can be very comedogenic. A bunch of the other extracts are likely to be irritating and potentially pore clogging as well. Can you buy Simple where you live? They have a good cleanser with minimal ingredients called the kind to skin refreshing gel wash.

Maybe it was the cleanser after all then. Simple isn't available as well..

What is available here is Cetaphil and the aloe gentle facial wash wich has the following ingredients: Aqua (water), Aloe barbadensis (aloe-veragel), Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Pentylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin (glycerine), Citric Acid (citroenzuur), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Dimethicone Copolyol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Lecithin (lecithine), Tocopherol (vitamine E).

And other more expensive products like clinique and Peter Thomas Roth.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/01/2014 5:26 am

Maybe it was the cleanser after all then. Simple isn't available as well..

What is available here is Cetaphil and the aloe gentle facial wash wich has the following ingredients: Aqua (water), Aloe barbadensis (aloe-veragel), Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Pentylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin (glycerine), Citric Acid (citroenzuur), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Dimethicone Copolyol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Lecithin (lecithine), Tocopherol (vitamine E).

And other more expensive products like clinique and Peter Thomas Roth.

The cetaphil doesn't look bad. I would try that instead. PTR cleansers are also a good choice if you can afford them.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/01/2014 7:50 am

Is this acne different from what you got before. Amongst those food items listed, tomatoes are pretty frequently reported as causing breakouts. Try avoiding them for a bit and see.

MemberMember
(@ashby101)

Posted : 04/01/2014 9:13 am

Is this acne different from what you got before. Amongst those food items listed, tomatoes are pretty frequently reported as causing breakouts. Try avoiding them for a bit and see.

Well I think it's 4.5 years ago when I really had cystic severe acne, so it's quit difficult to compare because I avoided every camera so I also can't put pictures next to each other. I've had two accutane treatments, I had one when I was 15 and I cleared up but then it came back moderate..like 1 big zit and 4 small ones on my face but I hated it and went back to accutane and cleared up again, and since I stopped Ive got 1 or 2 zits a month. But I was eating 18 pieces of bread a day, so 2 zits a month was pretty good for what I was eating actually. So as I was saying a month ago I broke out really badly in my neck and under my lips and it slowly went to my cheeks, and I also had these rashes on both sides of my mouth who didnt seem to vanish. I just looked at my checking account and 2 days before my breakout I changed 2 things in my daily routine: I bought pickles, wich I had never eaten before and I bought a new cleanser.

A week after my breakout I did the math and threw away the pickles but I didnt take a look at my cleanser. I started the new diet and bought supplements like zinc, stinging nettle, vitamine C, B-Complex, D3, A and I was slowly getting clear again and the rashes were vanishing slowly. Two weeks ago I had my third fractional laser treatment, and in the period my skin was healing I didn't had one zit.. my face was 100% clear. In the healing proces I stopped with my cleanser, because my doctor said so.. and when I started again with the cleanser I broke out just like a month ago..it started again with these itchy inflammed zits in my neck and under my lips!

But when I was clearing up slowly I was still using the cleanser and I stopped eating pickles, so that doesnt makes sense.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/03/2014 2:20 pm

Well I think it's 4.5 years ago when I really had cystic severe acne, so it's quit difficult to compare because I avoided every camera so I also can't put pictures next to each other. I've had two accutane treatments, I had one when I was 15 and I cleared up but then it came back moderate..like 1 big zit and 4 small ones on my face but I hated it and went back to accutane and cleared up again, and since I stopped Ive got 1 or 2 zits a month. But I was eating 18 pieces of bread a day, so 2 zits a month was pretty good for what I was eating actually. So as I was saying a month ago I broke out really badly in my neck and under my lips and it slowly went to my cheeks, and I also had these rashes on both sides of my mouth who didnt seem to vanish. I just looked at my checking account and 2 days before my breakout I changed 2 things in my daily routine: I bought pickles, wich I had never eaten before and I bought a new cleanser.

A week after my breakout I did the math and threw away the pickles but I didnt take a look at my cleanser. I started the new diet and bought supplements like zinc, stinging nettle, vitamine C, B-Complex, D3, A and I was slowly getting clear again and the rashes were vanishing slowly. Two weeks ago I had my third fractional laser treatment, and in the period my skin was healing I didn't had one zit.. my face was 100% clear. In the healing proces I stopped with my cleanser, because my doctor said so.. and when I started again with the cleanser I broke out just like a month ago..it started again with these itchy inflammed zits in my neck and under my lips!

But when I was clearing up slowly I was still using the cleanser and I stopped eating pickles, so that doesnt makes sense.

I don't know if histamines are the issue for you...but you can look into it by eliminating common triggers.

Usually, when you start a new cleanser your skin purges a little bit until your PH is readjusted and your face gets used to it. If the cleanser was medicated, then maybe your skin got used to it and started breaking out when you no longer used it. I know that happens with benzoyl peroxide, it could also happen with other products if your skin becomes reliant on them.

I use Image Ormedic cleanser, not sure if it's available in Europe though. Anything without sulfates is good (check cosdna.com for listings for common products).

Whenever I am in Europe, I try natural lines...perhaps apivita or korres, although they sneak it some sulfates in some products so you have to check the ingredients. Sebamed is a reliable skin brand too, I used it when I lived in Europe....there was another cleanser that helped me, it was in a green bottle (white box) and I needed a prescription to get it...it didn't have sulfates in it, and was a bit drying. I wish I could remember the name... maybe your dermatologist can find it or if you have a list of possible names I will recognize it if I see it written down.

MemberMember
(@ashby101)

Posted : 04/04/2014 5:31 am

I don't know if histamines are the issue for you...but you can look into it by eliminating common triggers.

Usually, when you start a new cleanser your skin purges a little bit until your PH is readjusted and your face gets used to it. If the cleanser was medicated, then maybe your skin got used to it and started breaking out when you no longer used it. I know that happens with benzoyl peroxide, it could also happen with other products if your skin becomes reliant on them.

I use Image Ormedic cleanser, not sure if it's available in Europe though. Anything without sulfates is good (check cosdna.com for listings for common products).

Whenever I am in Europe, I try natural lines...perhaps apivita or korres, although they sneak it some sulfates in some products so you have to check the ingredients. Sebamed is a reliable skin brand too, I used it when I lived in Europe....there was another cleanser that helped me, it was in a green bottle (white box) and I needed a prescription to get it...it didn't have sulfates in it, and was a bit drying. I wish I could remember the name... maybe your dermatologist can find it or if you have a list of possible names I will recognize it if I see it written down.

Hmm yes thats possible, but the weird thing is that I also got rashes on my lips, so the cleanser really had something in it what my skin couldn't handle I guess. The last few days I havent been using any skin products and I havent got new breakouts yet. Still don't know if its histamine or the cleanser, because I eliminated both of them at the same time.

I'll be having some histamine-foods today, so if I break out tomorrow I know what caused it.

MemberMember
(@twosteps)

Posted : 04/09/2014 11:55 am

The rash on your lips might be an allergic reaction to something you ate. I can't eat mangos anymore because they give me a rash on my lips (I'm allergic to mango). Using a cleanser on the rash makes it spread/worse.