Notifications
Clear all

Oil Cleansing (Not Oil Cleansing Method)

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/08/2014 7:35 pm

Does anyone here use just oil as a cleanser? I bought some samples of several oils (safflower, sunflower, meadowfoam, and mineral) to try cleansing with. I also got some emulsifiers (cromollient and polysorbate 80) to help the oils rinse away cleanly.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/08/2014 7:50 pm

Yeah. Sort of. I mostly cleanse a my face with a warm damp cloth, then apply a little oil to a damp face. But sometimes I start with the oil, especially if I've begone to get some blackheads. And I.smear oil over my eyes if I wore mascara before getting in the shower or using the cloth.

I rarely do the castor oil mix thing though.

MemberMember
(@willbill)

Posted : 01/18/2014 2:20 pm

Bump. I'd like to know more about this. Can oily skin people use oil to cleanse their face? Does it leave oil on the face?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/18/2014 7:24 pm

Bump. I'd like to know more about this. Can oily skin people use oil to cleanse their face? Does it leave oil on the face?

Yes, oily skinned people can use oil to clean their face. And your skin is supposed to have oil on it. Use the right kind of oil, and it leaves the right kind of oil on your face. The kind that protects & makes your skin glow.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/18/2014 8:34 pm

Yes they can. Oil dissolves oil so it should actually be good for oily skin as long as you find an oil that doesn't break you out. I recently tried a new facial cleanser (sage facial shampoo) and broke out in a rash. I've been waiting for the rash to die down before trying the oil cleansing, but when I do try it I will share my experience. I think the first oil I plan to try is the meadowfoam oil.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/18/2014 10:54 pm

Yes they can. Oil dissolves oil so it should actually be good for oily skin as long as you find an oil that doesn't break you out. I recently tried a new facial cleanser (sage facial shampoo) and broke out in a rash. I've been waiting for the rash to die down before trying the oil cleansing, but when I do try it I will share my experience. I think the first oil I plan to try is the meadowfoam oil.

I have no idea what that is. But you want a high linoleic acid content oil, which is why I use & recommend safflower.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/19/2014 5:39 pm

I've read mixed things about it actually. For some people, it works well, while for others it messes up their skin. I sometimes spot treat with grapeseed oil (great source of vitamin E and can help with scarring and hyperpigmentation) but I'm too scared to cleanse my whole face with it as it might clog some pores.

I like cleansing with pure honey for the antibacterial effect and the glow it gives afterwards.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/20/2014 12:26 pm

I've read mixed things about it actually. For some people, it works well, while for others it messes up their skin. I sometimes spot treat with grapeseed oil (great source of vitamin E and can help with scarring and hyperpigmentation) but I'm too scared to cleanse my whole face with it as it might clog some pores.

I like cleansing with pure honey for the antibacterial effect and the glow it gives afterwards.

From what I've read different people can breakout from different oils. Many people who try oil cleansing use oils like castor oil and coconut oil which are not the best for us acne prones. Grapeseed oil also broke me out a little, but I'm hoping the new oils I got to sample will be better.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/09/2014 1:00 pm

Just an update. I've been using a mix of meadowfoam oil and cromollient on my face for a few days now and my skin looks great. When I rub the oil in I can actually feel some of the clogs coming out of my skin.

MemberMember
(@scotty8996)

Posted : 02/09/2014 1:38 pm

Yes I do this too a few times a week. But without using any kind of cloth. I have eczema and extremely reactive/hypersensitive skin, so using a hot cloth and then rubbing my face with it, would flare everything up. So I use the oil, rub very lightly in small circular movements, and then rinse it off completely with an organic rose cleanser.

My face looks a bit irritated afterwards, but that's because of how sensitive my face is and because of the rubbing. Nothing to do with the oil.

I don't wear makeup on my cheeks, but I do wear very heavy eye makeup, and oil removes every last bit of it like nothing else. Don't even have to rub either.

P.S: be very cautious using mineral oil. It's notorious for causing acne.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/21/2014 7:35 pm

Mineral oil is actually considered a 0/0 on the comedogenic scale, but it can still break some people out. I tried it this past week and it broke me out. Meadowfoam oil is still working alright for me. I still have a few clogs, but this is the clearest my skin has looked since the effects of accutane wore off. This week I'll be trying safflower oil and grapeseed oil again.