Notifications
Clear all

Green Smoothies And Sweet Potatoes

MemberMember
(@faithbox)

Posted : 12/11/2013 2:51 pm

Hi I have been having a green smoothie (3 cups of kale) every morning and on days I run/workout (like 4-6 days a week) I have a sweet potato after for recovery. Is it possible I can overdose on any vitamins I obtain from these foods if I continue, especially vitamin A? I know sweet potatoes have a lot of vitamin A, and when you blend kale you get like double the amount or something like that. Just curious.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/12/2013 11:25 am

They do not contain any vitamin A, they contain beta carotene which your body converts to A as needed.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/16/2013 8:33 pm

no chances of overdosing, unless you are eating a gallon of each per day, and even in that case, indigestion is more likely than vitamin overdose.

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 12/16/2013 9:10 pm

• There is most defiantly vitamin A in both of these foods, trust me you are not going to overdose on any vitamin when eating whole fresh. ripe, organic, nutrient dense fruits and vegetables. You will get more nutrition out of these foods you are consuming by eating them uncooked or juiced, anything over 118 degrees kills the live enzymes.
    Sweet potato
    Plant
  • The sweet potato is a dicotyledonous plant that belongs to the family Convolvulaceae. Its large, starchy, sweet-tasting, tuberous roots are a root vegetable. The young leaves and shoots are sometimes eaten as greens. Wikipedia
  • Nutrition Facts
    Sweet potatoSweet potato leavesSweet potato, bakedSweet potato, boiledSweet potato, mashedSweet potato

Amount Per 100 grams1 sweetpotato, 5" long (130 g)1 cup, cubes (133 g)1 cup, cubes (133 g)

Calories 114

• % Daily Value*

Total Fat 0.1 g0%Saturated fat 0 g0%Polyunsaturated fat 0 g Monounsaturated fat 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg0%Sodium 73 mg3%Potassium 448 mg12%Total Carbohydrate 27 g9%Dietary fiber 4 g16%Sugar 6 g Protein 2.1 g4%Vitamin A377%Vitamin C5%Calcium4%Iron4%Vitamin D0%Vitamin B-615%Vitamin B-120%Magnesium8%

• Kale
      Vegetable
    • Kale or borecole is a vegetable with green or purple leaves, in which the central leaves do not form a head. It is considered to be closer to wild cabbage than most domesticated forms.Wikipedia
    • Nutrition Facts
      KaleKale, boiledKale

Amount Per 1 cup, chopped (67 g)100 grams1 cup, chopped (67 g)

Calories 33

• % Daily Value*

Total Fat 0.6 g0%Saturated fat 0.1 g0%Polyunsaturated fat 0.2 g Monounsaturated fat 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg0%Sodium 25 mg1%Potassium 329 mg9%Total Carbohydrate 6 g2%Protein 2.9 g5%Vitamin A133%Vitamin C134%Calcium10%Iron5%Vitamin D0%Vitamin B-610%Vitamin B-120%Magnesium7%*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/17/2013 9:59 am

Plant foods contain precursors to vitamin A, i.e. beta carotene, that animals then convert. The only way to consume vitamin A is in animal foods. You can overdose by taking cod liver oil.

MemberMember
(@magic)

Posted : 12/17/2013 8:49 pm

The goitrogens in kale can inhibit thyroid function but you probably shouldn't really worry about it unless you already have a thyroid issue.

Personally though, I would cycle kale with non-goitrogenic green like romaine or other lettuce, chard, or dandelion greens.