Notifications
Clear all

What To Eat For Breakfast?

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 10/18/2013 6:57 am

Hi I'm 27/f and suffering from adult acne. I'm on different meds but since they aren't really helping I'm experimenting with my diet, I've noticed that eating plenty of vegetables/salad/oily fish/fruit (in moderation really does help calm down my skin and that I heal faster/breakout less. It makes what I eat a bit boring and repetitive but it's worth it I suppose.

Now the problem is that at breakfast I don't know what to eat! I usually eat shredded wheat and bananas but I just read that both wheat and bananas can trigger breakouts :(

I was wondering whether oats are a better option (porridge/oatibix) and with berries instead of banana?

Also people have told me drinking probiotics (friendly bacteria yogurt) helps acne but I've cut out dairy as its supposed to be bad. I'm so confused?

Help!

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 10/18/2013 7:11 am

Hi I'm 27/f and suffering from adult acne. I'm on different meds but since they aren't really helping I'm experimenting with my diet, I've noticed that eating plenty of vegetables/salad/oily fish/fruit (in moderation really does help calm down my skin and that I heal faster/breakout less. It makes what I eat a bit boring and repetitive but it's worth it I suppose.

Now the problem is that at breakfast I don't know what to eat! I usually eat shredded wheat and bananas but I just read that both wheat and bananas can trigger breakouts sad.png

I was wondering whether oats are a better option (porridge/oatibix) and with berries instead of banana?

Also people have told me drinking probiotics (friendly bacteria yogurt) helps acne but I've cut out dairy as its supposed to be bad. I'm so confused?

Help!

Hi,

When I changed my diet, figuring out what to eat and making time to cook/prepare my own foods was a real challenge. Luckily, I am half Korean so I am not limited in choices when it comes to my diet. The standard American diet is ridiculous.

Here are some breakfast ideas:

1) Green smoothie. I do hemp protein, almond milk (I make my own. all natural), 1 mango, 1 banana, strawberries, and blueberries (frozen). An actual green smoothie I make is kale, lettuce/spinach, 1 apple, 1 pear, 1 banana, and water. But look up recipes ! biggrin.png

I always thought fruit contributed to my acne. It didn't. But who knows for you. The only fruit that gives me cystic acne is oranges. And that seems to be common around here. Even orange juice without pulp (organic) with NOTHING added in it breaks me out bad.

2) Oatmeal! I am not gluten free, but I like the gluten free oatmeal. Still tastes the same. I like to add dried fruits, nuts, cinnamon, and apples in mine.

3) Ham and egg sandwhich. I use ezikiel (spelling?) bread. But any healthy bread will do.

4) FRUITS! bunch of them... Usually watery fruits like watermelon and canteloupe are great in the summer time. I don't know about the winder time, how you feel about it...

5) Nut cereal!!! Basically almond milk/hemp milk/whatever non-dairy milk with a whole bunch of nuts and fruit if you want. Here is a picture: http://healthywithrawfood.com/fruit-and-nut-superfood-cereal-with-almond-milk/

6) Bread and avocado if you like it. I hate it... so I just go with an organic jam. I use Friordifrutta brand. Just don't get that garbage at regular supermarkets. By ones like these where it's just the fruit.

7) Omlette. Well, I guess it's not really an omlette? Eggs with vegetables (spinach, tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms,...whate ver you like. no cheese.)

8) Baked sweet potato. Yum. I buy the japanese kinds.

9) Sometimes I eat leftover soups.

Aaand..... I used to buy probiotics, but I do not anymore because my multivitamin (garden of life) has it. Plus, it is dairy free. You can buy dairy free probiotics. Just like you can get water kefir instead of dairy kefir. As for the fruit question, you just have to figure out what works for you. I had cut so much out, even random things like nightshade vegetables... but.. lol they caused no harm to me. I eat them all the time after I got over the fact that we are all different and I can not cut all of these delicious healthy items out of my diet. biggrin.png

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/18/2013 7:46 am

Click on the good things thread, then the food &recipe link at the top for many good what to eat threads.

And yes, oats are a better choice. Definitely one of the few grains for which the benefits outweigh the harm. Wheat, on the other hand, is any the opposite end of the scale.

Probiotics are important and a liitle fermented dairy is fine for most people, but that's individual and something you have to figure out for yourself.

Non dairy sources include kombucha, water kefir, sauerkraut and other fermented veggies.