Notifications
Clear all

Paleo Experiences?

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 10/16/2013 4:21 am

has anyone had a good experience with paleo and their acne? i'm already no dairy, processed foods and sugar, but i'm wondering if going totally paleo would clear me up that extra bit.

thanks guys!

also: no peanut butter?! argh!

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 10/16/2013 6:56 am

I'm on a paleo-diet right now (day 8) based on "The Dietary Cure for Acne" by Loren Cordain. Things are going great right now. It's 30 day diet and afterwards you are allowed to add back some foods. For me the hardest is to be without grains.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/16/2013 9:55 pm

So you eat no refined grains? Do you have any digestion issues? If so, the avoidance of all grains as in strict paleo might help.

And avoidance of nightshades as in super strict paleo, could help if you are intolerant to nightshades.

Or you could be intolerrant to something allowed in the paleo diet and it makes no difference.

My recommendation is as always, eat mostly real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti inflammatory than inflammatory, in low to moderate glycemic load meals, drinks and snacks that don't include anything you have an intolerance for which you have to figure out via methodical elimitation. And limit gluten which isn't good for anyone and dairy, especially unfermented dairy which affects acne in just too many ways.

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 10/17/2013 6:12 am

So you eat no refined grains? Do you have any digestion issues? If so, the avoidance of all grains as in strict paleo might help.

And avoidance of nightshades as in super strict paleo, could help if you are intolerant to nightshades.

Or you could be intolerrant to something allowed in the paleo diet and it makes no difference.

My recommendation is as always, eat mostly real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti inflammatory than inflammatory, in low to moderate glycemic load meals, drinks and snacks that don't include anything you have an intolerance for which you have to figure out via methodical elimitation. And limit gluten which isn't good for anyone and dairy, especially unfermented dairy which affects acne in just too many ways.

Are you asking me? If so.. Yes no grains on this diet for the first 30 days. I don't think I have digestion issues. I'll try to add back some grains after the first 30 days if things keep going great.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/17/2013 9:46 am

Are you asking me? If so.. Yes no grains on this diet for the first 30 days. I don't think I have digestion issues. I'll try to add back some grains after the first 30 days if things keep going great.

No, I'm asking the OP who is asking about switching to paleo, which means, no grains.

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 10/17/2013 1:45 pm

Paleo is a giant rabbit whole of wonderful biochemistry and fiery debate. Good luck getting started! Everyone can find their right diet with paleo.

Paleo has no restrictions. You begin with eliminating foods that are generally regarded as damaging to the system; either damaging the gut, inducing inflammation, throwing hormones out of whack or inciting immune reactions. You can begin experimenting by adding foods back in one at a time, and if all is well, you can include them in your diet.

That's Paleo in the simplest way I can explain it. You have to read, understand, own the information for yourself and make your own educated decisions. This is not a 1,2,3 diet, and is not a good lifestyle if you generally need someone holding your hand through new self projects.

Once again, good luck!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/17/2013 4:54 pm

There's a NY Times bestseller called Practical Paleo that looks promising. I'm waiting for the price to drop to check it out.