Notifications
Clear all

Gluten Sensitivity?

MemberMember
(@40andacne)

Posted : 09/02/2013 11:14 am

I already posted this under "Adult Acne" before I realized there was a Diet section....

Hi all,

I just joined this site today. I'm 39 years old and have been dealing with acne as long as I can remember. However, the last 3 -4 months have been the worst of my life! Deep, painful, ugly cystic acne....lovely! It's taken a toll on me or sure....visibly and mentally. So, my next game plan is to get tested for gluten sensitivity. I see on the forums that some folks have tried this. I got blood work done a year ago and it came back negative, but I've been researching and found out that the stool test available online is much more accurate (Entero Lab). Has anyone ordered from this site and if so, did you order just the $99 gluten sensitivity kit or do you think I should also test sensitivity to dairy, soy, & egg as well (more expensive, but maybe worth it). Suggestions? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 09/02/2013 2:05 pm

I will tell you this - if gluten is a problem then stop for a month, you will KNOW...you won't need a test. It was dramatic for me.

MemberMember
(@40andacne)

Posted : 09/02/2013 3:10 pm

I will tell you this - if gluten is a problem then stop for a month, you will KNOW...you won't need a test. It was dramatic for me.

We're there other factors that lead you to try going gluten-free or just acne?

MemberMember
(@boskabouter)

Posted : 09/02/2013 4:46 pm

I'm gluten intolerant (luckily not coeliac). I have suffered from acne for a very long time in my adolescent years, and had a recent flare up, at 27. Between being about 20 and 27 years old I was mostly acne free - with the exception of the off pimple here and there.

So, personally, I don't think being gluten intolerant had anything to do with my acne, or it wouldn't have been gone for so many years. With me it was hormonal: I was clear as long as I was on the pill.

I think it's definitely good to know if you have to be careful of gluten - knowing I'm intolerant has changed my life dramatically! - but maybe you should get your hormone levels checked as well? Just an idea.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/02/2013 5:21 pm

I too am gluten sensitive (not Celiac - most aren't anyhow). My acne did not change a whole lot cutting out the gluten. If you do not have any sort of digestive issues.. please do not cut gluten from your diet. It can do more harm than good sometimes. I had a problem with not getting enough fiber the first three months or so. It's now been a year - year and a half and I feel great internally but obviously I'm still on here and still looking for the "cure" along side you.

See a gastroenterologist... You will not have to pay $99 for some intolerance test. If your insides are inflamed then you may be onto something.

I would cut dairy if anything, and limit soy. They screw with hormone levels. Sugar should be severely shunned... that will raise your insulin levels and break you out even worse.