Notifications
Clear all

So Low On Energy... Eliminated All Possible Food Triggers.

MemberMember
(@tutupointe)

Posted : 09/01/2013 9:14 pm

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if I'm doing this right, but I need help ASAP.

So when summer first started, I decided to get rid of my acne for good. My acne recently started to give me major self confidence issues. Literally every morning I rush to the mirror hoping to see improvement, and of course am let down and I cry. This is really hard for me, as before I didn't care as much and was SUPER confident with myself. Feeling disgusting is recent for me, and it's awful.

I've tried every face wash and acne products from over the counter, and they hardly did anything. So, I decided to try to improve my diet. Before, I ate pretty badly... TONS of sugar, since I have a sweet tooth, soda, junk food, etc. So I got rid of those things... waited a couple weeks... nothing. So I made a list of everything that can cause acne when it comes to food...starch, gluten, dairy, so on so on. Literally before I ate ANYTHING I would check to see if it might trigger something, and almost everything can, except for raw non-starchy veggies.

The thing is, I've always been on the underweight side naturally, even though I always ate like a PIG before this. :P I loved food and just had a very fast metabolism. I am very lucky. But now, all I'm eating is broccoli, quinoa burgers, brown rice occasionally, veggie chips here and there, sometimes half of a sweet potato, salads, and other food items that do not fill me up at all. I'm constantly longing for food and am having energy issues.

I would stop this crazy diet change, but I've been seeing slight improvement on my cheek acne. A lot of the acne is flattening out.

But, for some reason, neck acne has recently developed on me, as well as minor shoulder, back, and chest. What the heck?? My face starts to clear, and now it's changing to my body. NOTE: My face is FAR from clear. It's still acne everywhere except for almost clear forehead...just not AS bad.

SO. My main questions are:

1. Why do I suddenly have body acne? Is it too much brown rice? Diet change?

2. What do I do about the diet? I'm starving and losing weight. My family is so worried, as am I. I'm malnourished.

3. Should I just cave in and go on some type of medicine so I can actually eat? I'm really afraid of side effects though, and my acne coming back WORSE when I come off of them.

PLEASE help. I'm so lost and depressed. :[ And please don't say "Just let it pass". I can't. It's ruining me.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/02/2013 1:34 pm

You may not actually have a fast metabolism, but have a malabsorption problem meaning you don't absorb enough nutrients from food.

When I take Betaine HCL + digestive enzymes (amylase, protease, lactase, etc.), I do much better overall, but suddenly my fast "metabolism" slows down a bit, which goes to show that you may not be "burning" the food faster...you're just not absorbing it in the first place.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/02/2013 1:40 pm

Those aren't all the possible triggers. And acne on your neck sounds like a food intolerance, you need metrically eliminate things to test. Citrus, for example. Eggs. Soy. Peanuts. Flax seed (although that's due to the estrogenic effect)

Also, starch isn't a trigger, not when it come in the form of a real, whole vegetable. There's no reason to be afraid of a sweet potato. It is high in resistant starch. I take it you are a vegetarian? Try lentils, buckwheat, oats, but don't make these seeds a huge part of your diet.

You just want to avoid high glycemic meals, drinks, snacks. Eat nutrient dense whole foods. More nit inflammatory thin inflammatory. And avoid anything you have an intolerance for, which you'll have to figure out.

MemberMember
(@tutupointe)

Posted : 09/03/2013 1:08 am

alternativista, that is really interesting, what you said about the neck acne. Around the time I started getting it, I had started eating a bit of flax seed cereal almost every morning, along with A LOT of brown rice items. Maybe that is why? Could this also explain the sudden tiny bumps and occasional pimple I now have on my shoulders, back, and chest?

So, correct me if I am wrong, I should worry less about avoiding gluten and dairy, and focus more on just eating healthy?

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 09/03/2013 7:17 am

I would suggest seeing a dermatologist or your PCP to start. If you've been doing this since the beginning of summer and still not seeing real improvement - regardless of location of the acne - diet may not be the only thing causing. The doc can at least prescribe a topical which will be stronger than anything you'll find at the drugstore.

The most conclusive and comprehensive studies to date show dairy has the closest correlation to acne. A high-glycemic diet appears to have correlation with acne too, but most doctors will tell dairy has a strong connection. FWIW.

Other poster is right in saying complex carbs are still good for you and very necessary! Sweet potatoes, old-fashioned oats, air-popped popcorn, Ezekiel bread (I love this -- it's filling with more protein and fiber than that bread that has basically zero nutritional value. It's more expensive, but it's worth it).

What type of fats are you consuming? Olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, fatty omega-3 fish (salmon, even tuna) are all good sources. Nuts are good too.

Once caveat: although nuts and eggs can be considered anti-inflammatory, people may be allergic to them too, so it's something you could try and if you notice a reaction, you'll know.

I'd really see a professional though, if possible.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/03/2013 7:32 am

alternativista, that is really interesting, what you said about the neck acne. Around the time I started getting it, I had started eating a bit of flax seed cereal almost every morning, along with A LOT of brown rice items. Maybe that is why? Could this also explain the sudden tiny bumps and occasional pimple I now have on my shoulders, back, and chest?

So, correct me if I am wrong, I should worry less about avoiding gluten and dairy, and focus more on just eating healthy?

Flax seed is estrogenic which helps some people, but makes others worse, often much worse.

And your focus should always be about eating healthy as I described. And gluten isn't healthy. Neither is anything but small amounts of fermented dairy.

By brown rice items & the cereal, I take it tis means you filled your diet with a lot of processed junk? Stay out of the cereal, cracker, cookie or bread aisles. Unless it has whole items such as oats or raw buckwheat.

MemberMember
(@tutupointe)

Posted : 09/03/2013 5:26 pm

I would suggest seeing a dermatologist or your PCP to start. If you've been doing this since the beginning of summer and still not seeing real improvement - regardless of location of the acne - diet may not be the only thing causing. The doc can at least prescribe a topical which will be stronger than anything you'll find at the drugstore.

The most conclusive and comprehensive studies to date show dairy has the closest correlation to acne. A high-glycemic diet appears to have correlation with acne too, but most doctors will tell dairy has a strong connection. FWIW.

Other poster is right in saying complex carbs are still good for you and very necessary! Sweet potatoes, old-fashioned oats, air-popped popcorn, Ezekiel bread (I love this -- it's filling with more protein and fiber than that bread that has basically zero nutritional value. It's more expensive, but it's worth it).

What type of fats are you consuming? Olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, fatty omega-3 fish (salmon, even tuna) are all good sources. Nuts are good too.

Once caveat: although nuts and eggs can be considered anti-inflammatory, people may be allergic to them too, so it's something you could try and if you notice a reaction, you'll know.

I'd really see a professional though, if possible.

I actually saw my PCP, and she just kind of said "Oh, it's hormones. Always hormones with girls your age." and gave me some Retin-A. She then said if I wasn't "in love with my skin in six to eight weeks", come back and she will possibly give me birth control or Acutane. After reading about what Retin-A can do to your face, I decided not to use it. I actually have seen slight, very slight, improvement since the diet change. My cheek acne is sort of flattening, but honestly some days it's great, and others I'm back to almost square one.

I'm consuming a small amount of nuts and I use olive oil in almost all of my cooking. I can't have ANY type of fish, I am deathly allergic.

Just last night, I found a cystic pimple on my chin, since it's that time of the month. -__- Great.

Flax seed is estrogenic which helps some people, but makes others worse, often much worse.

And your focus should always be about eating healthy as I described. And gluten isn't healthy. Neither is anything but small amounts of fermented dairy.

By brown rice items & the cereal, I take it tis means you filled your diet with a lot of processed junk? Stay out of the cereal, cracker, cookie or bread aisles. Unless it has whole items such as oats or raw buckwheat.

Yeah, I've heard flax seed can go either way. I don't know if it had an effect on me or not.

I wouldn't say junk food, but about 50% of what I eat is store bought.... like just last night I ate some Shirataki Miracle Noodles that I got from the store... gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, yadda yadda. My family isn't well off at all, so they are having a very hard time buying fresh veggies and other ingredients every day for my new diet.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 09/03/2013 9:52 pm

I didnt read much on this post- but i saw food talk- ive switch to Cream of Wheat with maple add a bit of honey and cut a banana in it and its like the angels from the sky. And Healthy! Many over look cream of wheat as slop from the line at your local prison- but no ohhh no this stuff is the shitz. Okay

i love food.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/04/2013 11:10 am

Yeah, I've heard flax seed can go either way. I don't know if it had an effect on me or not.

I wouldn't say junk food, but about 50% of what I eat is store bought.... like just last night I ate some Shirataki Miracle Noodles that I got from the store... gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, yadda yadda. My family isn't well off at all, so they are having a very hard time buying fresh veggies and other ingredients every day for my new diet.

I would call it junk. And I am not well off either. You save a lot of money by not buying junk. Especially expensive junk like gluten free substitutes for things you shouldn't eat anyway.

Where do you live? Look for CSAs or community gardens and such where you can volunteer in exchange for food. I spend 2 hours per week and get more than I can consume in that week. And I am positive that you can buy steel cut oats or raw buckwheat for less than you spend on any boxed cereal.

You said you wanted to eat healthy. This is what is healthy.

MemberMember
(@tutupointe)

Posted : 09/04/2013 3:13 pm

I would call it junk. And I am not well off either. You save a lot of money by not buying junk. Especially expensive junk like gluten free substitutes for things you shouldn't eat anyway.

Where do you live? Look for CSAs or community gardens and such where you can volunteer in exchange for food. I spend 2 hours per week and get more than I can consume in that week. And I am positive that you can buy steel cut oats or raw buckwheat for less than you spend on any boxed cereal.

Hmmm... okay, I'll look into the CSAs. Thank you!

It has just been a hard summer, because my family eats A LOT of junk, and even though they support my diet change, they say things like "One bite won't hurt" or "You won't break out 'cause you snuck some fries." It's already hard enough, and it's so tempting. Plus, we can only get groceries every two weeks and we shop at a very cheap and non-healthy store. They carry NOTHING like steel cut oats, or anything else that will fill 94 pound me up, while still staying healthy.

Like I said, it goes in circles. I'm so close to quitting and just letting my face explode again...

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/05/2013 2:50 pm

It has just been a hard summer, because my family eats A LOT of junk, and even though they support my diet change, they say things like "One bite won't hurt" or "You won't break out 'cause you snuck some fries." It's already hard enough, and it's so tempting. Plus, we can only get groceries every two weeks and we shop at a very cheap and non-healthy store. They carry NOTHING like steel cut oats, or anything else that will fill 94 pound me up, while still staying healthy.

Like I said, it goes in circles. I'm so close to quitting and just letting my face explode again...

Then where are you getting all the gluten free stuff?

MemberMember
(@tutupointe)

Posted : 09/05/2013 3:13 pm

From once every two weeks or so quick trip to Whole Foods, that I have to REALLY ask for. So I eat tiny portions to string it along. Thus, the starving part.

Also, I was just informed a couple days ago we can't afford Whole Foods trips anymore.

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 09/05/2013 5:00 pm

I'm sorry your PCP said it was "just hormones." If you're legitimately concerned about something, your physician shouldn't brush it off. I'd see a derm if you can, or change yourPCP.

I rarely go to Whole Foods. If I do, it's for something specific or as a "treat." You can buy everything you need at regular grocery store. It doesn't have to be organic. Really. Fruits, vegetables, leans meats -- all of it. I do think healthy is more expensive but you can make it work.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/05/2013 7:39 pm

From once every two weeks or so quick trip to Whole Foods, that I have to REALLY ask for. So I eat tiny portions to string it along. Thus, the starving part.

Also, I was just informed a couple days ago we can't afford Whole Foods trips anymore.

I only go to whole foods to get items like buckwheat, sunflower seeds, dried coconuts, sea salt, etc from the bulk bins. And the brand of olive oil & safflower oil I use. All pretty inexpensive.

MemberMember
(@tutupointe)

Posted : 09/06/2013 1:54 pm

I only go to whole foods to get items like buckwheat, sunflower seeds, dried coconuts, sea salt, etc from the bulk bins. And the brand of olive oil & safflower oil I use. All pretty inexpensive.

And everything else you get from the farm you volunteer at?

Also, I tried the steel cut oats, and two days later, BAM. I have four cystic pimples a couple inches under my right eye, what feels like another forming on my lower cheek, and another two forming on my left. I am getting increasingly depressed.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/06/2013 3:42 pm

And everything else you get from the farm you volunteer at?

Also, I tried the steel cut oats, and two days later, BAM. I have four cystic pimples a couple inches under my right eye, what feels like another forming on my lower cheek, and another two forming on my left. I am getting increasingly depressed.

I volunteer at a food co-op, that gets food from local farms, plus purchases from an organic supplier that gets seasonal tings from somewhere in this hemisphere. I volunteer at a farm as well, but that farm supplies the coop. I get some tropical fruits at supermarkets, usually Hispanic markets: bananas, plantains, mangoes, lime, tomatillos.

MemberMember
(@gladiatoro)

Posted : 09/06/2013 7:56 pm

Most modern maladies (including ACNE ) are caused by prolonged exposure to a combination of negative lifestyles and toxic environmental factors, including junk food and malnutrition, pesticides, antibiotics, microwaves, chemical pollution of food, water and air, lack of exercise and chronic stress. These factors are further aggravated by the failure of modern medicine to recognize them as agents of dis-"ease" and death and the consequent failure to take preventative measures against them. - See more at: http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/ConsumerAlert/Alert.aspx#sthash.fNNI5yYO.dpuf

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/07/2013 6:58 am

I didnt read much on this post- but i saw food talk- ive switch to Cream of Wheat with maple add a bit of honey and cut a banana in it and its like the angels from the sky. And Healthy! Many over look cream of wheat as slop from the line at your local prison- but no ohhh no this stuff is the shitz. Okay

i love food.

Cream of wheat is not healthy.