Notifications
Clear all

Help Your Skin Function - Stop Impairing It!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/16/2014 10:23 am

I find it crazy that there aren't that many links when you look up " oil cleansing method" and "safflower oil", but you get a list of other riskier oils.

>( and I used to use tons) And for the past several weeks, I've just washed with water only once a week. The waxiness I complained about is mostly gone and it seems washing my brush often is the key to that. My hair isn't as nice and smooth as when it was coated with silicone, but it had no body then. Now i have 'big' hair. And the silicone filled conditioners only worked that well right after i colored my hair once a month anyway. When I used it in between, it didn't work so well.

I think this will work even better for anyone with short hair, especially if you style by fluffing with fingers or something.

Would this work for someone with very oily hair who usually washes it every day (and in some occasions every other day)?

>

>I added selfies of me & my unwashed hair to my blog post. http://dietforclearskin.blogspot.com/2013/12/brad-pitt-has-stopped-using-soap.html

You look great! Your hair looks nice toward the ends, but I wonder how are the roots? Is water only enough for them?

People have been telling each other that jojoba is 'the closest to your natural sebum' for so long, that's what people tend to use. Or olive. Or coconut oil now that it is a big fad.

My roots are not oily at all anymore. The roots were never an issue since stopping shampooing, at least not after the first few weeks. .The bigger issue now is the ends since I'm not using conditioner. I do apply coconut oil or safflower. It's just that when I used to coat my hair in silicone, it was slippery and the ends just hung there nice and smooth. At least on day one after the conditioning.

And I used to not only wash my hair daily, I washed it in the morning because washing the night before did not cut it. And sometimes washed it again if I needed to look good that evening. Although for the last several years between the diet and my age I'd been able to reduce shampooing to every three days with it varying how oily it was on day 3.

Also I have very fine only slightly wavy hair. The kind that really shows the grease.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/16/2014 1:48 pm

I don't get it, my hair's roots look disgusting if I don't wash it on the 2nd day, as if I just came from a sweaty workout.

Have you tried the mayo+ olive oil mask for the ends?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/17/2014 10:42 am

I don't get it, my hair's roots look disgusting if I don't wash it on the 2nd day, as if I just came from a sweaty workout.

Have you tried the mayo+ olive oil mask for the ends?

So did mine before I started this. And actually, I should amend what I said before, because there is a transition period. I recall the waxy coating on the back of my head as being my biggest problem, but I did use constarch/cocoa powder dry shampoo fairly regularly at first, which would be for the oil at the roots. That cornstarch thing never worked for me until I read a tip about adding cocoa powder for dark hair. And I think the cocoa powder must have some good oil absorbing powers of it's own, because now it works.

I put coconut oil on the ends, especially after I use henna. And usually rub my oily hands on the ends on a near daily basis after applying safflower oil to my legs.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/17/2014 9:55 pm

Kitoko oil is supposed to add a lot of shine and gloss to the hair, especially if done as a hot oil treatment.

MemberMember
(@fyry)

Posted : 07/18/2014 1:06 am

Yesterday I bought black seed oil (organic) and applied it as a moisturizer. Today I woke up and my pimples (ALL) are almost healed overnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant believe it. My skin is soft and not itchy, very calm. Oh, I so hope this will help.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/17/2014 11:48 am

FYI. I washed my hair with shampoo and it's oilier again in just a couple of days.

I had been spot applying a little shampoo to dry hair before getting in the shower. I put it on the hairs around my face which get oily from my hands & face. And the back of my head. I think my boars hair hair brush tends to deposit more oil there and I need to wash the brush more often. I didn't wash my scalp. However, the shampoo came in a tube and I have learned that when the tube seems empty there still tends to be tons of product inside and to cut the end off to access plenty more. Which I was doing. And when it was nearly gone I added water and poured it on my head. There turned out to be more shampoos than I intended and I did end up shampooing my scalp. And now looks oily just a couple of days later.

I'm dry shampooing for now to transition back to where I was before. And once again, it magically seems to be cleaner and nicer today than yesterday.

About Occlusion

Occlusion is not synonymous with clogged pores. But It does mean obstruction, though. It blocks the skin from 'breathing' via perspiration. When you apply something occlusive on your skin, the chemicals it contains have only one place to go and that's into your body. for example, if you work with industrial chemicals and wear gloves and other protective gear, if you get a tear and the chemical gets inside that glove, the occlusion will mean you absorb more of that substance into the skin. Or if you spray insect repellant on bare skin, then cover with with clothing. Or apply vasoline or other occlusive topical.

Petrolatum and dimethicone are occlusive. As are various oils including natural plant oils. A little occlusiveness is good. The issue is how occlusive? I figure you don't want anything more occlusive than the substances healthy skin produces, especially when in combination with other chemicals. And as i don't have access to such details, I figure the best thing is to help skin function on it's own.

This is contains some pretty good discussion on the subject: http://www.ecomall.c.../auroranova.htm

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/11/2014 1:02 pm

Posts by Marks Daily Apple about the Skin Biome: The microbes that live on our skin and the valuable functions they perform.

This one names some specific microbes and what they do for you:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-living-on-your-skin/#axzz3Lbw9c6Y4

This is about not harming and even aiding in your skin's biome:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-support-healthy-skin-bacteria/?awt_l=OFQc_&awt_m=IeUPwGHSixWvYa#axzz3Lbw9c6Y4

And it mentions research into a probiotic lotion specifically for acne:

"Consider probiotic lotions. One lotion containing Enterococcus faecalis SL-5 reduced acne lesions and countered the effect of acne-causing bacteria. You could make your own, too. Seriously: researchers just added E. faecalis SL-5 probiotic powder to a commercial lotion to produce the anti-inflammatory effect. However, Im not yet sold on the idea that probiotic lotions are necessary (or even helpful) in the absence of skin problems"