Notifications
Clear all

Went On A Vegan, Gluten Free Diet And I'm Still Breaking Out? What The Heck Am I Doing Wrong?

MemberMember
(@shooshooacne)

Posted : 04/24/2013 12:26 pm

I am so frustrated!! I have been on a dairy-free diet for a few months and I see NO difference. I don't get it? I have been eating tons of fruits/veggies, drinking green smoothies, taking fish oil pills, avoiding refined sugars/processed junk, etc. Yet I continue to break out.

I'm on the verge of giving up. I miss eating the way I used to. My stomach is always hurting and I've been having problems with bowel movements. TMI i know but i hate this!!!

Do you guys think diet might not be the culprit of my acne? When I was in high-school I ate shitloads of dairy/sugar yet I didn't get a single break out, but I was using prescription topicals to control my acne so IDK. I am considering taking a blood test to see if my hormones are off balance. If so, I want to go on Spiro

After going on this diet, my acne seemed to clear up a little, but then it went back to the way it used to be.

I am wondering if my hormones alone are the cause of my acne?

MemberMember
(@catlover2012)

Posted : 04/24/2013 12:29 pm

Yes, definitely check your hormone levels, I am on a vegan diet too since last summer, I went gluten free for a month (soooo hard!) but it made no difference.

I tried everything, I even went to see a naturopath and spent a bunch of money and I still have acne. I am currently on 40 mg of accutane. This is my last resort, my acne is mild-moderate, I get huge cysts every week or every 2 weeks sometimes, I also have tons of blackheads.

i know it works for a lot of people, too bad it didnt work for you. The pill might be a good option for you if it is hormonal.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 04/24/2013 12:41 pm

fish oil doesnot work for every one

MemberMember
(@shooshooacne)

Posted : 04/24/2013 12:54 pm

Oh yeah I agree that being on a gluten free diet isn't easy! I miss bread, pasta, and all that good stuff. I've tried almost everything and I'm praying that I will find something that will work ASAP.

fish oil doesnot work for every one

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 04/24/2013 12:58 pm

There are plenty of gluten-free breads and pastas, but if you aren't seeing any major improvements within a month or two, it's likely that gluten sensitivity isn't a part of your acne situation. (Note--this doesn't necessarily mean that gluten is good or safe for you to eat--many people who are sensitive don't get acne).

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/24/2013 6:40 pm

Fish oil actually makes me break out. Maybe try stopping that?

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 04/24/2013 6:56 pm

Actually people have reported that they've been breaking out with fish oil pills and flaxseed oil more often than I would have guessed. I would like to suggest for you to stop taking them... at least for now. Stop the pills and eat the actual fish twice a week if you can. Also, are you exercising? Sleeping well?

You could be intolerant to some of the vegetables or fruits your consuming, but unless you have huge pimples or cysts like me then that may not be true. In that case, try the next step and look up the glycemic load for what you're eating off google and eat the lower ones. My stomach was hurting too until I added some whole and properly prepared oat bran for easy digestion. I stopped getting stomach pain after too many vegetables and was having a much more even waste production. This may also be because you can't digest the vegetables like a normal digestive and immune system can, so you may have a faint underlining cause of either Irritable Bowel Syndrome or a Leaky Gut. Also, you're not eating too many raw vegetables are you? Tests for these intolerances/allergies are difficult except for elimination diets and or food diaries. I have a 730 page food diary next to my bed that lists on two pages what I've eaten, when I work, and what I do. Sometimes people feel like they've been on a diet forever when it's only been a couple of weeks/months.

I personally just discovered last month that tomatoes gave me eczema rashes and even flushed the bottom of my neck. My whole life I've eaten things with tomatoes in them and I would have never guessed the were aggrivating my psoriasis and skin. My rashes stopped itching for the first time since I changed my diet after joining this website, and are already almost half way healed right now. I've been avoiding tomato paste, raw tomatoes, bell peppers (part of nightshade family), and some spices like paprika. I still can't believe I was intolerant to nightshade vegetables the whole time.

If possible you should always get yourself tested for whatever you are suspecting. Don't be hesitant to do this. If you are still breaking out and have worked hard trying to figure out what it is, you deserve to know. I have no idea how accurate hormone tests are though.

If all else fails, please don't hurt yourself if you decide to go on Spiro, ok? :)

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 04/24/2013 11:35 pm

Estrogen dominance

High progesterone

High testosterone

Hormone changes

Digestive problems

Nervousness/stress

Endocrine Disorders

Malnutrition and more.

Those all mess us up but each individual is different with our own special needs of acne treatment.

Personally I would get both culture test and hormone test for acne. Get a culture test done on your lesions infected material to rule out fungus or other bacterial infections. Folliculitis can look just like acne and won't respond to spiro or any anti androgen.

That's just my suggestion.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/25/2013 9:17 am

Actually people have reported that they've been breaking out with fish oil pills and flaxseed oil more often than I would have guessed. I would like to suggest for you to stop taking them... at least for now. Stop the pills and eat the actual fish twice a week if you can. Also, are you exercising? Sleeping well?

You could be intolerant to some of the vegetables or fruits your consuming, but unless you have huge pimples or cysts like me then that may not be true. In that case, try the next step and look up the glycemic load for what you're eating off google and eat the lower ones. My stomach was hurting too until I added some whole and properly prepared oat bran for easy digestion. I stopped getting stomach pain after too many vegetables and was having a much more even waste production. This may also be because you can't digest the vegetables like a normal digestive and immune system can, so you may have a faint underlining cause of either Irritable Bowel Syndrome or a Leaky Gut. Also, you're not eating too many raw vegetables are you? Tests for these intolerances/allergies are difficult except for elimination diets and or food diaries. I have a 730 page food diary next to my bed that lists on two pages what I've eaten, when I work, and what I do. Sometimes people feel like they've been on a diet forever when it's only been a couple of weeks/months.

I personally just discovered last month that tomatoes gave me eczema rashes and even flushed the bottom of my neck. My whole life I've eaten things with tomatoes in them and I would have never guessed the were aggrivating my psoriasis and skin. My rashes stopped itching for the first time since I changed my diet after joining this website, and are already almost half way healed right now. I've been avoiding tomato paste, raw tomatoes, bell peppers (part of nightshade family), and some spices like paprika. I still can't believe I was intolerant to nightshade vegetables the whole time.

If possible you should always get yourself tested for whatever you are suspecting. Don't be hesitant to do this. If you are still breaking out and have worked hard trying to figure out what it is, you deserve to know. I have no idea how accurate hormone tests are though.

If all else fails, please don't hurt yourself if you decide to go on Spiro, ok? smile.png

hey mate!

i've heard many are intolerant to members of nightshade family.

how did u find out?

so u had these rashes or problems due to intolerance always or for a while?

because if it's a new issue then it's strange.

intolerance should have bothered u since the very beginning..but since it's new u should double check on ur trial test.

as far as i know(what i've seen and learnt from this site) not all are badly effected by gluten.so eliminating gluten might not be ur answer.

same goes for fish oil..not all people are benefited by it.

i agree with the comment above,i think its safer to take fish instead for all it's nutrients.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/25/2013 1:21 pm

I am so frustrated!! I have been on a dairy-free diet for a few months and I see NO difference. I don't get it? I have been eating tons of fruits/veggies, drinking green smoothies, taking fish oil pills, avoiding refined sugars/processed junk, etc. Yet I continue to break out.

I'm on the verge of giving up. I miss eating the way I used to. My stomach is always hurting and I've been having problems with bowel movements. TMI i know but i hate this!!!

Do you guys think diet might not be the culprit of my acne? When I was in high-school I ate shitloads of dairy/sugar yet I didn't get a single break out, but I was using prescription topicals to control my acne so IDK. I am considering taking a blood test to see if my hormones are off balance. If so, I want to go on Spiro

After going on this diet, my acne seemed to clear up a little, but then it went back to the way it used to be.

No, it's unlikely that your hormones alone cause your acne. And your diet, such as shitloads of sugar affect those hormones. Everything is connected. Everything you do to yourself affects everything else.

If you are irregular or experiencing discomfort, you are doing something wrong. You will have to provide more information. How did you used to eat? What have you changed?

MemberMember
(@leitot)

Posted : 04/25/2013 8:43 pm

I want to second the suggestion that increasing your fiber suddenly and by too much could cause discomfort. Personally I discovered that after I amped up my green smoothies and berries, I got vicious heartburn to the point where my throat hurt like an infection and I had tightness in my chest and difficulty breathing.

MemberMember
(@shooshooacne)

Posted : 04/25/2013 9:31 pm

If all else fails, please don't hurt yourself if you decide to go on Spiro, ok? smile.png

Interesting, I'm a huge fan of tomatoes and green peppers. I'm going to start avoiding them & see if I see an improvement. I heard that nightshade vegetables/fruits are inflammatory

My sleeping habits aren't the best. I usually go to bed at 2-3am and wake up at 10a,. I haven't been exercising... I'm thinking of starting jogging- since the weather is nice now.

I want to take a food allergy test but it's very expensive :-/

MemberMember
(@iamthat)

Posted : 04/25/2013 10:45 pm

I went on a raw vegan diet.. fruit...veggies that it.. for about a year.. it took about a year to clear up along with fasting.. try doing a mono fruit diet for 2 weeks.. when i only ate watermelon I was clear clear clear :) you can read my blog ... read the end post or beginning it has lots of info

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 04/25/2013 11:44 pm

hey mate!

i've heard many are intolerant to members of nightshade family.

how did u find out?

so u had these rashes or problems due to intolerance always or for a while?

because if it's a new issue then it's strange.

intolerance should have bothered u since the very beginning..but since it's new u should double check on ur trial test.

as far as i know(what i've seen and learnt from this site) not all are badly effected by gluten.so eliminating gluten might not be ur answer.

same goes for fish oil..not all people are benefited by it.

i agree with the comment above,i think its safer to take fish instead for all it's nutrients.

I found out five weeks ago when I started increasing the size of the salads I ate.

When I started juicing vegetables for my acne about six months ago, I used all kinds of juicy vegetables and ingredients. After a few weeks, my childhood eczema (now called "psoriasis" since I am older and the statistical odds are greater) rashes started appearing on my arms and fingers again, but they were worse than ever before. I showed my family and they immediately suggested that it had to be something in the juice. I agreed and decided to juice random vegetables for the next few months and only getting rid of one of them at a time. On and off my rashes flared up, and on and off were two vegetables: bell peppers and tomatoes.

Humorously, I totally forgot about my suspicions to these two possibly food intolerances that I diced up a ton of tomatoes for my salads five weeks ago. I left out everything... it was literally just the lettuce and tomatoes. Well, the inner bend of my arms and my fingers were swelling up so bad that I started getting patches of swollen, red skin under my neck and at the bottom of my ears. My rashes were so hot I put ice packs on them. They were literally firetruck red. It was spreading everywhere, even on my stomach when I lifted up my shirt. There was simply only one thing left to do.... get rid of the tomatoes.

It's been week five of no tomatoes and half my arms and fingers are pale white again, like my skin tone should be. I nearly cried with joy. All my life I've been eating pizza sauce, pasta sauce, ketchup (especially as a kid from school cafeterias), peppers in our families homemade soups, etc... and always ate them every month, giving my rash absolutely no time to heal itself.

The only issues I'm having with this is looking up why I may be "intolerant" to tomatoes in the first place. On the internet it's not clear: Most websites states that the nightshade family and psoriasis outbreak is a "myth". It would seem that these facts are still behind in the times, such as "diet and acne" are. The comment sections of many of these articles are quick to disagree. I can't seem to find any medical articles that suggest getting rid of tomatoes because they're casing your psoriasis, yet I discovered this out of pure accident. Had I not changed to a more healthy diet last August after coming here, I would have never known. When I asked a few of my friends about it, they confirmed that they "heard it before" but can't remember where. If that was all I had before I started eating healthy, it wouldn't be enough to stop me.

I'm having a food allergy test done next month to hopefully confirm this discovery. I've had eczema/psoriasis since I was four years old. It's lasted all my life. One of our bathroom drawers are literally filled with both prescribed and over-the-counter anti-itch creams, all for myself. I've been using them for almost 20 years, and most of the time they don't work.

The funniest thing about all this was when I went to college 5 years ago and my rash was suddenly gone... I didn't eat any vegetables and was practically feasting on sugary and creamy foods like a "normal" college student. I didn't even eat pasta or have any home cooked meals. Many thing were boxed and ready to go. Tomatoes were never on my mind. Last year when I started my outside garden at my new location, I grew tomatoes and the rash slowly came back. It seems silly that I never made a connection to these too things until now, but because of the number of people telling who were always telling me that psoriasis is incurable and that I will always have it was always on my mind. Also, no one else in my family has any food allergies... I am literally the first one, and it's from tomatoes of all things (and other night shades).

Gluten you say? Yeah, it's actually confusing to me too. Gluten alone may be harmful to acne sufferers (and yes, it isn't good in any way), but possibly normal for an overall human diet. There are also foods with "gluten-like" impacts on our system, such as acting like gluten. In fact, gluten free foods may be more harmful than normal breads, but I have yet to read the source for this:

Then theres the more scientific look (This was just uploaded two days ago!):

I think what most people want you to do is to either bake our own bread without other vegetables flours and starch, or get the really, really grainy and heathy oat like breads at our grocery stores. They want you to eat as close to the grain as possible. These loafs about 4 to 6 bucks each I think, 3 times more expensive than normal bread with some grocery stores not even offering them anymore. I'm concerned about them because they are labeled as "healthy".

Interesting, I'm a huge fan of tomatoes and green peppers. I'm going to start avoiding them & see if I see an improvement. I heard that nightshade vegetables/fruits are inflammatory

My sleeping habits aren't the best. I usually go to bed at 2-3am and wake up at 10a,. I haven't been exercising... I'm thinking of starting jogging- since the weather is nice now.

I want to take a food allergy test but it's very expensive :-/

Inflammatory if you are intolerant to them I guess. My entire family has no food allergies... I am literally the first one. Not even my brother who went on Accutane ever had itchy skin before. I am the only person in my family who had eczema when I was four and had it carry through my entire life until it was then labeled "Psoriasis" last year when it came up again (a.k.a., when I started eating healthy). Don't eliminate tomatoes just because I said I found them to be intolerant. A tomato overall is actually good for the skin and may even protect against sun damage. It's just one unfortunate ingredient that I will never have the pleasure of getting nutrition from.

Seven hours is alright I guess, but try shooting for eight smile.png. I use to do that all the time too, lol. And you need to exercise about 30 to 45 minutes a day to see any kind of benefits from it at all. You don't need a gym, just learn from the library or watch movies on youtube.

Well... elimination diets are usually the only affordable thing people can do... since they don't cost anything that is. I'm getting an actual food allergy test because I am MIGHTY curious if it will show that tomatoes are something I can't eat. Since I made my discovery last month, I really want to figure out if allergy tests hold up to their expectations. I hear that sometimes they are not accurate, but they still give you a great head start in the possible direction you need to go amused.gif.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/26/2013 4:44 am

trial and error method is time consuming and risky for u might just break out badly in the process of checking.

but,since u've already figured out what's bad for u..am really happy for u.

i think u should get that test done ASAP..to confirm.

i wander if u have problem with all night shade family members..for there's quite a few kind.

do u have problem with the green ones,capsicum?

as for gluten,even am told that gluten when taken with fat and protein isn't bad.

the 2nd video din't workcrazy.gif and the 1st one was mostly abt celiac disease.

since u like reading stuff..u can go through this post.hope it helps u.

speaking of breads,let me add a lil' about indian flat breads and the flour we use.

actually roti or chapati ,our flat bread isn't really a fermented bread.

it's whole wheat(we dont use refined flour which many indian families use) mixed with warm water,dough made and we flatten it and cook it on gas oven.(on a tawa or directly on fire)

whole wheat is suppose to include that bran.(I'VE DOUBTS ABOUT IT'S EFFECT.it's there on the linked post)

which is usually made this way : http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Atta_flour

many indian families use refined flour(maida). http://en.wikipedia....iki/Maida_flour

i'd been prescribed some tests..hormone tests!

i mean to get them done as soon as i get my mediclaim done..(i'll have to use my ways.=p for derma & skin issues aint covered here in India.shame!)

could u mention any test that i should be doing along with it?

food test?what are they called btw?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/26/2013 8:06 am

Gluten isn't good for anyone, acne or not. But traditional baking methods involving long fermentation or sprouting reduce the harmful lectins, and a variety of foods bind up the lectins and others heal the damage, provided you consume them. As for other foods that do the same harm - google chitin-binding lectins for sources which include night shades and rice. As for foods that bind up lectins, google glyconutrients. And for healing foods, anything mucilagenous.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/26/2013 1:43 pm

to summarize briefly,

almost all staples(wheat,barley,rice), they say,contain lectin.so there's just one way out i suppose to eat it with things that undo it's negetive effect.

glyconutrients contain eight monosaccharides (that is, simple carbohydrates, or sugars)

here http://www.wellnessletter.com/ucberkeley/dietary-supplements/glyconutrients/#

if i ignore the poor review and stick to it optimistically , what i can figure out is fruits should do good.

why cant simple or refined sugar be any good?

as for mucilagenous foods,are jute leaves mucilagenous?

am not sure if its popular in the west or mid-east nations but south-east asians have them.they are slimy when cooked(sauteed).not sure.

any idea?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/27/2013 8:22 am

All foods contain lectins, but they are concentrated in seeds and nightshades. Some are more harmful than others, some are easier to destroy via cooking, soaking, sprouting and fermenting. And some are harder then others to bind up via food combinations.

to summarize briefly,

almost all staples(wheat,barley,rice), they say,contain lectin.so there's just one way out i suppose to eat it with things that undo it's negetive effect.

glyconutrients contain eight monosaccharides (that is, simple carbohydrates, or sugars)

here http://www.wellnessletter.com/ucberkeley/dietary-supplements/glyconutrients/#

if i ignore the poor review and stick to it optimistically , what i can figure out is fruits should do good.

am not sure if its popular in the west or mid-east nations but south-east asians have them.they are slimy when cooked(sauteed).not sure.

any idea?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/27/2013 10:03 am

All foods contain lectins, but they are concentrated in seeds and nightshades. Some are more harmful than others, some are easier to destroy via cooking, soaking, sprouting and fermenting. And some are harder then others to bind up via food combinations.

to summarize briefly,

any idea?

Are they slimy?

yes,a lil' slimy when cooked..but not as slimy as okra or cactus is.

there are few other leafy veggies which seem lil' slimy when sauteed.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/27/2013 10:56 am

to summarize briefly,

any idea?

Are they slimy?

We have something we call malaria or vining spinach. It has no relation to spinach and is a very pretty vine that likes the heat. Maybe you have that there.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/27/2013 11:12 am

to summarize briefly,

any idea?

Are they slimy?

We have something we call malabar or vining spinach. It has no relation to spinach and is a very pretty vine that likes the heat. Maybe you have that there.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/27/2013 11:19 am

i checked and in india they are called malabar spinach.in bengali,its 'pui sakh'!=)

yes,we have it here.this one right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basella_alba

it's work as okra and stuff?same action u mean?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/27/2013 1:26 pm

i checked and in india they are called malabar spinach.in bengali,its 'pui sakh'!=)

yes,we have it here.this one right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basella_alba

it's work as okra and stuff?same action u mean?

Yes. Easy to grow and pretty, but you ave to collect the seeds or it will invade your garden. I already have it all over the place. Share some recipes. I've tried it a couple ways, like added to soups as a thickener, but I don't really like it.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/27/2013 2:09 pm

there's a delicious recipe with fish head(let me know if u want that)

.but if u want a simpler one

here are some

#(shrimp-malabar spinach recipe)

http://allrecipes.co.in/recipe/12065/una-s-chingri-pui-shak-bhaji---shrimp-spinach-.aspx

#masoor dal(lentil) and malabar spinach recipe

http://tokjhalmisti.blogspot.in/2011/03/pui-shak-with-masoor-dal.html

#western takes on malabar spinach

http://www.greendeansfarm.com/recipe7.php

#malabar spinach chorchori(traditional east indian vegetarian dish)(u can skip any particular veggie u dont prefer)

http://rice-n-curry.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111weekends&Itemid=7

## i think u will like this one - http://www.cookingwithsiri.com/2013/03/ammas-recipes-andhra-style-kanda.html

MemberMember
(@wheatfree)

Posted : 04/28/2013 10:39 pm

One of the first things I discovered that helped me fight my persistent acne was giving up diet sodas. I suspect the aspartame is the culprit there. I was getting huge cystic lesion that were painful, would appear to begin to go away and then flare up again. From what I've read aspartame acts as an excitotoxin in the body, increasing inflammation. After about 2 days without it, my skin was noticeably clearer. My experience has been that if inflammation is food related, then it doesn't take very long to see improvement. I've always noticed improvement within the first week of eliminating a problem food. My son is the same way.