Notifications
Clear all

Should I Start Anitbiotics? Holistic Health Guy Needing Some Advice!

MemberMember
(@jasonpark)

Posted : 03/15/2013 1:25 am

Hello Acne.org

I am brand new to this forum but have seen a lot of people give very great advice hence the reason I signed up.

To give you a background story of myself I am a 19 year old male in university and have suffered from acne since I was 14. Between 16-17 I was on antibiotics (Doxy Cycline) and my skin was 100% clear. However I try to avoid pills and antibiotics if I can. I read that acne was caused by diet and that anitbiotics were extremely bad for your health. Now I know this may not be the case for everyone, but for me yes my acne is caused 100% by diet.

I followed a strict diet regimen of

-No breads

-No pasta

-No meats

-No sugars

-Hardly any fruit (due to sugars)

-No spinach due to iodine

-No alcohol

The list goes on. As you can tell what I could eat was pretty much leafy greens. This was due to the fact candida bacteria in my stomach was causing acne (I think thats why antibiotics work so well for me). The 6 months I followed this diet I was 100% clear, however I couldnt take it anymore. I am athletic and work out 5x a week, but due to this diet I was losing weight. Also when I go out I couldnt eat anything and I was making my mom real ticked off as I couldnt eat any of the food she prepared for me. I felt really guilty eating anything but vegetables as I knew it would cause acne. This diet was literally taking over my life.

So I am asking you guys, is antibiotics actually THAT bad? Like causing birth defects in my children, causing cancer, causing tumors or is this over exaggerating? I believe in both the natural and medication method of acne as they both work on me, but I want to go with the better choice.

MemberMember
(@thirdtaneacharm)

Posted : 03/15/2013 2:48 am

Hi Jason,

I take Solodyn - it's an antibiotic. The first few times I took it I got lightheaded for a bit and that was it. I have been on it for two months and had no other problems. As for effectiveness, I can't give you a good answer since my acne is cystic not due to diet like yourself. -Jessica

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 03/15/2013 2:59 am

I never want to take antibiotics again. They didn't cause any life-threatening side effects for me or anything, but they kill your good bacteria in your gut, and you need that bacteria for your body to function properly. So my answer is no, they won't cause cancer or tumors, but they are still bad for you.

If you believe your acne is caused by bad bacteria, you could try probiotics. Probiotics got rid of most of my body acne, and some of my face acne. You should definitely take probiotics if you decide to take antibiotics.

It is possible that your acne cleared just because you were eating so little calories. Eating few calories decreases androgens, raises SBGH, increases insulin sensitivity, etc. A lot of people improve their acne after starting to eat healthy, but then they find they are losing weight, and when they get back up to their normal amount of calories, they break out again.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/15/2013 3:34 am

From my experience, antibiotics are not worst the pain/suffering they will cause long-term.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/15/2013 7:15 am

Hello Acne.org

I am brand new to this forum but have seen a lot of people give very great advice hence the reason I signed up.

To give you a background story of myself I am a 19 year old male in university and have suffered from acne since I was 14. Between 16-17 I was on antibiotics (Doxy Cycline) and my skin was 100% clear. However I try to avoid pills and antibiotics if I can. I read that acne was caused by diet and that anitbiotics were extremely bad for your health. Now I know this may not be the case for everyone, but for me yes my acne is caused 100% by diet.

I followed a strict diet regimen of

-No breads

-No pasta

-No meats

-No sugars

-Hardly any fruit (due to sugars)

-No spinach due to iodine

-No alcohol

The list goes on. As you can tell what I could eat was pretty much leafy greens. This was due to the fact candida bacteria in my stomach was causing acne (I think thats why antibiotics work so well for me). The 6 months I followed this diet I was 100% clear, however I couldnt take it anymore. I am athletic and work out 5x a week, but due to this diet I was losing weight. Also when I go out I couldnt eat anything and I was making my mom real ticked off as I couldnt eat any of the food she prepared for me. I felt really guilty eating anything but vegetables as I knew it would cause acne. This diet was literally taking over my life.

So I am asking you guys, is antibiotics actually THAT bad? Like causing birth defects in my children, causing cancer, causing tumors or is this over exaggerating? I believe in both the natural and medication method of acne as they both work on me, but I want to go with the better choice.

You aren't supposed to follow a candida diet forever. Add foods back in, just mostly real whole nutrient dense foods. But no drinking sugar. Stay strict on that.