Notifications
Clear all

Does Antioxidant Consumption Work Against Benzoyl Peroxide?

MemberMember
(@bsdetector)

Posted : 12/20/2012 8:56 pm

Since one of the main reasons benzoyl peroxide is so effective at controlling most forms of acne is that it's a pro-oxidant (at least that's what I've heard), is it possible that consuming a lot of antioxidants would hinder its effectiveness?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/21/2012 9:38 am

So now you want to avoid more vital nutrients?

Yes. BP is pro oxidant. Which is bad for your skin.

MemberMember
(@bsdetector)

Posted : 12/22/2012 7:39 am

If that's the case, why is it the only thing that clears up my acne?

I've noticed quite a few new marks on my skin in recent years. Want to know the funny thing? Not a single one of them was on an area where I apply BP.

I take it you're one of those "more anti-oxidants!!!" people...as if free radicals don't serve any purpose and are the evil behind all human disease.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 12/22/2012 10:18 am

I've noticed quite a few new marks on my skin in recent years. Want to know the funny thing? Not a single one of them was on an area where I apply BP.

I take it you're one of those "more anti-oxidants!!!" people...as if free radicals don't serve any purpose and are the evil behind all human disease.

surely you are trolling?

Oxidation causes cell death, cell death causes real death. Want to live longer? Consume more anti-oxidants.

BP is an oxidizer you apply to the surface your skin. It causes cell death in the skin, and in the bacteria. It works because p. acnes is a anaerobic bacteria, and BP delivers oxygen beyond acne's cell walls, destroying it from the inside out. Effective oxidation. And cell death.

One does not necessarily preclude the other.

Internal consumption of anti-oxidants will not hamper the topical effect of BP. Externally applied strong antioxidants should be applied apart by 4 or more hours.

Shit attitudes should be checked at the door.

I answered this against my better judgement.

MemberMember
(@bsdetector)

Posted : 12/24/2012 1:15 am

lol.gif

surely you are trolling?

Oxidation causes cell death, cell death causes real death. Want to live longer? Consume more anti-oxidants.

BP is an oxidizer you apply to the surface your skin. It causes cell death in the skin, and in the bacteria. It works because p. acnes is a anaerobic bacteria, and BP delivers oxygen beyond acne's cell walls, destroying it from the inside out. Effective oxidation. And cell death.

Internal consumption of anti-oxidants will not hamper the topical effect of BP. Externally applied strong antioxidants should be applied apart by 4 or more hours.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, like just about all the other holistic health nuts on this forum...only you have somehow found a way to be even more obnoxious than most of the others on here.

This has to be one of the most idiotic statements I've ever read, and that's saying something.

Um, I hate to break it to you...but every single cell your body once had has died.

By the way, there is absolutely no research that indicates antioxidants lead to a longer life or even prevent diseases such as cancer.

http://usatoday30.us...006662017_x.htm

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 12/24/2012 10:40 am

If you notice, that study is talking about antioxidant vitamin pills...not the antioxidants themselves that come from food. Just thought I should point that out because there is a big difference between a freshly picked raspberry and a vitamin C capsule.

"Antioxidant vitamins, including A, E and C, don't help you live longer, according to an analysis of dozens of studies of these popular supplements."

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/25/2012 5:08 pm

Popular is another key word there. Popular supplements are usually crap. And then it's a USA TODAY article. Enough said on that. And then there's the ability of journalists today to comprehend and write a valid article. It seems to be their job to be as superficial as posible these days. And there is the tendency of researchers to study the wrong things and for the wrong duration...

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 12/27/2012 10:05 am

lol.gif

surely you are trolling?

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, like just about all the other holistic health nuts on this forum...only you have somehow found a way to be even more obnoxious than most of the others on here.

This has to be one of the most idiotic statements I've ever read, and that's saying something.

Um, I hate to break it to you...but every single cell your body once had has died.

By the way, there is absolutely no research that indicates antioxidants lead to a longer life or even prevent diseases such as cancer.

http://usatoday30.us...006662017_x.htm

1308433475313490.gif

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/27/2012 10:52 am

Quoted from that USA today article cited as 'evidence' of something:

Stampfer said the studies were too diverse to pool together because they looked at various combinations and doses of antioxidants tested in different groups of people. The trials ranged from a three-month study of 109 elderly nursing home residents to a 12-year study of 22,071 male doctors.

"This study does not advance our understanding, and could easily lead to misinterpretation of the data," said Stampfer, who was not connected to the new report.

The complaints were echoed by Andrew Shao, a scientist at the Council for Responsible Nutrition, a supplement trade association.

"Only when they included and excluded certain trials were they able to find this alleged increase in mortality, which they themselves can't explain," Shao said. "There is plenty of data out there that show regular use of antioxidant supplements help to maintain health."