Notifications
Clear all

Is There A Test To See If Something Is "pore Clogging?"

MemberMember
(@seeking2012)

Posted : 12/04/2012 1:51 pm

Ok so I've come across plenty of lists of items that are declared to be "pore clogging." A lot of these items are found in just about every single soap and shampoo in existance and they are VERY hard to avoid.

Examples: sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate

These items are given high pore-clogging scores. So this brings up the question of, how do people know they are "pore clogging?" Is there a test you can do? I read somewhere (and I can't find it again) that there is some type of test that is done under a microscope; perhaps someone knows more about this?

If there is a scientific test that can be done under a microscope which proves that certain things clog up pores, where can I read more about this?

Thanks guys.

MemberMember
(@crichel)

Posted : 12/04/2012 2:11 pm

My understanding is that these ratings are based on experiments on the inside of rabbits ears, which apparently closely approximates human skin. However, there is a lot of individual variation and the use of the phrase 'non-comeogenic ' is completely unregulated.

Your right though, avoiding these ingredients usually means avoiding 99% of the products out there, it can be very difficult to find good stuff