Notifications
Clear all

Experiences With Zinc?

MemberMember
(@446)

Posted : 11/28/2012 9:29 pm

I am 17 and I have moderate acne, but currently it is almost 95% controlled by minocycline. However, I get dark grey/blue marks where the acne goes away, so my derm told me I need to get off it. She perscribed the BCP or the bactrim antibiotic, both of which I am pretty apprehensive about taking.

I've looked into the reviews for zinc and they seem pretty promising. What are your experiences? Especially compared with any other methods?

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 11/28/2012 9:56 pm

I had them test my zinc levels when I got a blood test, while I was taking 60 mg of zinc a day. And my levels were still low. But still... I've never really noticed a difference in my skin when taking zinc vs. not taking it. It could even make things worse for me... I ran out of zinc and stopped taking it a few months ago. Recently I was clearing up, and decided to buy some more zinc to help the scars heal. And since I started back up, I have had some new spots form.

BUT - everyone is different. It's worth a shot. Buy a small/cheap bottle first.

MemberMember
(@understatement)

Posted : 12/12/2012 1:36 pm

I really don't see a difference. I take 100mg a day and have been for a month or two now. I want to stop taking them, probably when I'm done with this bottle since zince isn't that great for you.. its a metal after all.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/18/2012 7:51 am

It speeds up my healing times a fair bit and stops some of the inflamation. Doesn't really reduce the acne itself for me though.