Notifications
Clear all

Natural Skin Care Products Not All Its Cracked Up To Be

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/13/2012 10:11 am

This is definitely not meant to offend anyone or start a fight around here. This is just an account of MY personal experiences and hopefully someone can offer options without going to extremes.

At this point in my acne journey, i am not ready to go completely natural - tried it and the process stressed me out more than anything as my insides are still acting up. With that said, i am on topicals and i am looking for a basic cleanser and moisturizer.

Now here comes my gripe:

I was under the impression that all things natural make them good for MY skin but i've discovered that is so true. Many of the organic cleansers/moisturizers are loaded with oils and plant based items that are comodogenic to the skin (learned this first hand) and just as chemical based products broke me out, so do many of the natural ones. I think the key for ME will be to fond something in between.

Kudos to all of you that can go 100% natural but for me, there is not enough time to keep on with this trial and error, making my own stuff..........

I am trying to put my skin care in the background and spend my time with family, friends and eating well.

With that said, anyone have suggestions for a cleanser and/or moisturizer (for skin that has acne, looks oily but feels dry).

I am not a lazy person and have been looking online for weeks basing my findings off of non comodogenic ingrdients lists but i can admit when i need help and folks, i need help.

BTW, i have tried jojoba, coconut and i am not interested in products that have those ingredients.

Thanks for all of you that take the time to read and respond.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/13/2012 11:22 am

Going natural certainly doesn't mean you have to be any less vigilant. Rather than pore clogging issues, I've found that many natural products contain wheat and soy, two things I am violently allergic to. So I feel pretty much the same about pre-made natural products. That said, using actual natural things, not products, like baking soda, etc. is awesome because it's so much simpler. The only thing I buy for my skin now is soap (I use Dr. Bronner's lavender soap) and Indian Healing Clay, which I still have yet to need to buy more (I've been using this jar for over a year!). Other than that I use witch hazel, tea tree oil, oregano oil, apple cider vinegar, and green tea.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/13/2012 12:31 pm

Well i dont buy any such products so can't say anything about them except they are probably just as much a waste of mony as the chem and perfume filled ones. I Wash with water only and oil cleanse to remove makeup. And mix my own blend of aloe Vera gel with a little oil and some supplements fo my main moisurizer with a few spot treatments of vegetable glycerin. And acv diluted with geen tea is a great toner.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/13/2012 3:17 pm

Going natural certainly doesn't mean you have to be any less vigilant. Rather than pore clogging issues, I've found that many natural products contain wheat and soy, two things I am violently allergic to. So I feel pretty much the same about pre-made natural products. That said, using actual natural things, not products, like baking soda, etc. is awesome because it's so much simpler. The only thing I buy for my skin now is soap (I use Dr. Bronner's lavender soap) and Indian Healing Clay, which I still have yet to need to buy more (I've been using this jar for over a year!). Other than that I use witch hazel, tea tree oil, oregano oil, apple cider vinegar, and green tea.

I hear ya - I wash cleansing with just ACV but it wasn't cutting it. I find that with using topicals, basic things in my house are very counter productive as my a portion of my skin care is not natural so.....

Well i dont buy any such products so can't say anything about them except they are probably just as much a waste of mony as the chem and perfume filled ones. I Wash with water only and oil cleanse to remove makeup. And mix my own blend of aloe Vera gel with a little oil and some supplements fo my main moisurizer with a few spot treatments of vegetable glycerin. And acv diluted with geen tea is a great toner.

Oils and my skin definitely don't mix so the OCM is out. Since i am using topicals, washing with water is not going to work either. I def agree with you but in this day and age there has to be a half decent product available.