Notifications
Clear all

I Do Everything Right...

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 10/24/2012 12:45 pm

I don't know why people assume diet is the only possible trigger for acne. It's not. Diet has absolutely zero impact on my acne for good or for bad. I cleared myself through an entirely different method.

What worked for you doesn't mean it will work for someone else. There so many triggers out there.

I found a while ago that i am very sensitive to carbohydrates and gluten. Gluten has been eliminated from my diet and my carb in take makes up about 20% of my nutrition. As i result i feel great and my skin improved. Didn't cure it but it improved a lot.

Everyone has a unique biochemistry.

Reading comprehension for the win. If you notice, I never claimed diet can't cure people's acne, I stated:

"I don't know why people assume diet is the only possible trigger for acne."

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/24/2012 1:57 pm

I don't know why people assume diet is the only possible trigger for acne. It's not. Diet has absolutely zero impact on my acne for good or for bad. I cleared myself through an entirely different method.

What worked for you doesn't mean it will work for someone else. There so many triggers out there.

I found a while ago that i am very sensitive to carbohydrates and gluten. Gluten has been eliminated from my diet and my carb in take makes up about 20% of my nutrition. As i result i feel great and my skin improved. Didn't cure it but it improved a lot.

Reading comprehension for the win. If you notice, I never claimed diet can't cure people's acne, I stated:

Yeah and? I never said anything to say that you did say that.

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 10/26/2012 8:39 am

And I still have acne. I've been vegan for 5 years and gluten-free for 2 years. I stay away from processed foods. I tried cutting out all sugar for 5 months and still had acne. I tried a mostly raw diet for a few months, and that didn't help either. I take vitamins, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep.

But I still have moderate acne. Sometimes I'll stop breaking out for a couple of weeks, but it always comes back. There doesn't seem to be a link between what I eat and my acne.

So does what you eat even make a difference? It doesn't seem to for me. I'm so frustrated that I'm doing everything I'm supposed to and not seeing results, while my friends can stuff their faces with potato chips and cookies and anything they want and not have to worry about it. I've thought about trying to cut out soy but can't imagine being vegan, gluten-free, and soy free. I wouldn't know where to start with a completely raw diet either. I've tried both products and doing nothing but rinsing my face with water.

I don't get it. So many people say that once they cut out dairy/gluten/whatever, their acne stopped. Why do I still have it?

Well i'm willing to bet my sister life that this will make your acne better http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Defense-Ultimate-Probiotics/dp/B000GWG8FS

http://gutflora.com/?p=344 this got rid of my cystic acne, i was doing what i thought was right.

I don't know if your a vegan for ethical reasons but i honestly don't think it the way for you to go.

Really hope this helps

MemberMember
(@luizedu)

Posted : 10/27/2012 2:46 pm

Being vegan may be incompatible with the gut/candida/anti-inflamatory/etc. diets, but a well planned vegan diet is by no means deficient in anything but B12. I say you should absolutely stick to your diet and give probiotics a try.

I'm now considering my mild acne is caused by gut issues, so I'm taking a triple approach to it, I'm drinking kefir and eating the grains (for probiotics), taking Candex (for Candida) and RestorX (for leaky gut). I started it less than a week ago and I have zero inflammed spots and only two minuscule pimples which should go away once I start taking more kefir (my grains aren't growing so fast) and Candex starts kicking in for real. You could try something similar, these products are all vegan friendly (I too live without imposing suffering on other sentient beings - i.e., I'm vegan).

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/27/2012 3:02 pm

I don't care what anyone says, I was unable to get enough protein on a vegan diet. My muscles were wasting away. I had half the strength I had now.

That said, it certainly may be because my gut is so damaged and lacking good flora that I was simply unable to absorb the plant protein. I don't know the reason, I just know the frustration I felt being a vegan, wasting away while other people told me that the vegan diet supplies plenty of protein. Then added meat back in and instantly: better health, growing muscles, better skin.

It probably all comes down to genetics and how well your gut works.

MemberMember
(@luizedu)

Posted : 10/27/2012 3:13 pm

Could be your gut, as plant protein is not as bio-available. That said, there are many vegan bodybuilders out there, and I myself have no problem building muscles on a vegan diet.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 10/27/2012 4:50 pm

There are so many things that cause acne. It's hard to say what could be the problem.

It can be candida, hormones, food allergy, folliculitus or cosmetic acne.

The first two I would look into is a good topical treatment. The acne.org regimen is great and I think it's cruelty free as well. Then check to see if you have a hormonal imbalance. That can be the tricky part because mostly all pharmasuticals are tested on animals. You can try balancing your hormones out naturally.

Just try a good topical regimen along with an aha lotion/cream for now.

Good luck! I hope you figure out what's causing your acne. Don't give up :)

MemberMember
(@emmylouise)

Posted : 10/28/2012 2:07 am

I know your pain. Just remember your doing your body good in the long run. There is obviously a hormonal imbalance, have you seen the dr about some prescription medication other than antibiotics??

MemberMember
(@zoomzoom)

Posted : 10/28/2012 6:15 am

Mind-body connection.

Most of us on this forum seem to be very intelligent people. However, all of our brain capacity seems to be wasted on worrying about our skin. The times when your face seems clear, I bet you feel happier and more care free, and focus less on your skin. Modern thought would have you believe that's because it looks better. I propose that it looks better because you feel that way.

trippy!

MemberMember
(@baladii)

Posted : 11/06/2012 11:56 pm

As weird as it sounds, eating gummi bears are keeping my skin clear? Its probably not the gummi bears, just probably having a good run of luck in the skin department and I hope that run of good luck stays forever!saywhat.gifteehee.gifgrinwink.gifcrazy.gifshifty.gif

Fascinating because I had a similar experience a couple of years ago... in retrospect it was probably arbitrary and just a run of "good luck" in the skin department. But, I remember a friend of mind complimenting me and asking me what I was doing, to which I replied and sheepishly giggled, "NOTHING!" Except eating more of what I normally don't and drinking lots of coffee? yeah, makes a whole lot of sense...Out of curiosity, are you in love right now? With a special someone? I happened to be at the time, which to me is interesting to note, and a reason why I definitely think the psychospiritual and social factors are very important when it comes to acne.

I might have also appeared to be "more radiant" as a side effect of being in love... But definitely noticed a marked difference in my skin that was not an illusion as my friend confirmed.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/07/2012 2:27 am

I'd like to begin my response by saying that acne is not normal. Cysts are not normal.

Second, stress is going to happen, and is inevitable. Being alive in itself imposes stress on the body.

Third, there is genetics. Some people are not born very healthy and have more serious issues than acne.

With all of this said, acne is going to happen and has affected many of you on this forum on a variety of levels. Acne will happen, and our skin will wither and we will all eventually grow old and die.

The good news in all of this, is that we are alive and have the opportunity and chance to collaborate and compare our own list(s) of "cause and effect." That's all we have right now. We don't have a laboratory that can isolate each person's unique situation to run tests.

I believe what we need to equip ourselves with is knowledge of time. What humans did, what they ate, and how they propagated the planet. This leads me to my main point, that diet is one of the most important factors in controlling acne.

Out of curiosity, are you in love right now? With a special someone? I happened to be at the time, which to me is interesting to note, and a reason why I definitely think the psychospiritual and social factors are very important when it comes to acne.
MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 11/07/2012 3:33 pm

OKate,

I am sorry to hear about the frustrating path you have been on--good for you for hanging in there and having determination!

Soy--I agree with the others that it's best to fully avoid.

Beans--Some here caution against beans, but many can tolerate them just fine. They are a great source of protein, high in antioxidants, fiber, and are very filling.

Greens--I don't see much mention of you eating leafy greens, our most nutrient-rich foods, and the best foods for your skin, IMO!! They are rich in beta-carotene, which safely converts to the amount of vitamin A (vital for skin health!) your body needs. The cruciferous greens are best of all, such as kale and collards. Also, when you "blend" these greens, you get about "4" times the amount of nutrition, as the cell walls are so thoroughly broken down. Check out my signature and see my green smoothie thread--there are recipes in it for "green soups" too, which are wonderful for when it's cold out. There are also additional tips for acne in my thread that you might find helpful as well. Good luck to you. :)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/11/2012 8:34 pm

Who assumes that? It does however, affect everyone's acne just like it affects everything else to do with your health. It isn't possible for it not to.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 11/11/2012 9:16 pm

Who assumes that? It does however, affect everyone's acne just like it affects everything else to do with your health. It isn't possible for it not to.

While diet effects every every process in the body to some degree, for many people that degree is so minuscule that it generates no real-life results, positive or negative.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/11/2012 11:43 pm

While diet effects every every process in the body to some degree, for many people that degree is so minuscule that it generates no real-life results, positive or negative.

"To some degree"? This statement could not be further from the truth.

Diet effects everyone absolutely, and not just to some degree, but in all ways.

Diet affects :

- mood

- hormones

- nutrition

- skin

- nerve regrowth (i.e. you need thiamin to regrow these)

- muscular development

- brain functions

- liver function

- kidney function

- fingernails, toenails

- oil production

- regeneration of cells

- inflammation of cells

If you really were to list every single thing that is dependent on your diet and is there specifically to control what you consume, the list would be endless.

Take note, I am not saying diet is the only thing that affects acne, or human body functions, but it is a very, very large part of how well our bodies work.

I have a lifestyle that involves regular exercise several times a week, lots of walking to burn excess carbohydrates, protein to aid in muscular development, and fat to aid brain function, among other things.

If youre on a very high fat, very low carb diet like a traditional Inuit diet your brain will eventually be able to use fat-derived ketones for about 50-75% of its energy requirements. Most ketones are produced in the liver, but astrocytes in the brain also generate ketones themselves for use by neurons. You think wed have that kind of set up in our brains if ketones werent useful to have around? If all we could do was burn glucose up there, what would be the point of even having localized ketone factories? Anyway, since the brain can use about 120 grams of glucose a day (PDF), that means youd still need at least 30 grams of glucose while running on max ketones.

Read more: http://www.marksdail.../#ixzz2BynkbMZi

Took this from a website. I just wanted to find one of the many sources that discuss how our brains are affected by glucose and fats.

From another standpoint, consider if your diet is bad. In this case, the problem isn't your diet directly relating to your bodily functions.

The problem is that your diet can overtax your systems (kidneys? liver?), at which point your entire body is at a disadvantage in fighting off the damage you've done. It's all semantics. I wouldn't even call this "damage," but regular interaction with the real world.

I believe our bodies are resilient. There was a time I could do anything and acne would not affect me in the slightest. I know that my body has that potential again, but first we have to undo that damage that we've done to our bodies.

This is the reason I am weaning myself off of BP - because I have a lot of faith in the changes that I have noticed in my body, by strictly adhering to a firm diet.

"Everyone has a unique biochemistry"

Fact : we are over 99% alike.

Fact : we damage ourselves in unique ways, which contributes to our "unique biochemistry"

The problem is that everyone wants to find a quick fix. They are passionate about their own diet and how they eat, and likely find it difficult to truly change for longer than a week.

The idea is to get your body back in stasis. I never once believed in the acne diet connection, but when I took the leap of faith and really, truly changed my diet, everything changed for me. If you really truly believe that you have exhausted all dietary possibilities, well, then you are a unique case.

But I believe most people can be healed through the proper diet, exercise, and a good skin-care regimen that agrees with their skin type.

I know that you cured your acne by "not having orgasms," but the body is designed to be able to handle a few. It makes no sense that the body would punish you by making you uglier after having an orgasm. Something else is wrong.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 11/12/2012 1:02 am

Something else is wrong.

'You're having an adverse reaction to orgasms. So something must be wrong.'

Yes something is wrong indeed. I'm having an adverse reaction to orgasms.

Who are you to say why that is, or even worse.... jump to the illogical and presumptuous conclusion that it is somehow linked to my diet and exercise patterns (of which you know absolutely nothing). Most people talk because they like to hear themselves talk, and I suspect that is what's going on here.

When people are closed minded and derogatory towards answers that don't fit their paradigm, such as voluntarily and happily abstaining from orgasms, and then go on to hypocritically suggest that I ought abstain from something else (equally as pleasurable), I find it hard to take their suggestions seriously at all. I've never said or thought that diet can't be a solution for some people. But I maintain my stance that it can not, and is not the solution for everyone.

I don't care how "healthy" or all-encompassing you think your methods are. I'm going to agree with you on some points and disagree with you on others. But I strongly suggest you avoid proselytizing your methods to the utter disregard of other solutions that don't fit your personal (and apparently new-found?) world-view. Such inability to accept and respect the decisions of others is arrogance and the opposite of what a free-society is supposed to promote. I am well versed on how my body reacts to certain activities and foods, so based on those observations I will continue to pursue the methods with which I have achieved 100% success. And when it comes down to it, if I'm happy with where I am, and secure with where I shall go in the sooner or the later, what real concern is it of yours?

Good luck with your methods and I wish you to be acne free, as I wish all people to be someday.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/12/2012 1:55 am

'You're having an adverse reaction to orgasms. So something must be wrong.'

Yes something is wrong indeed. I'm having an adverse reaction to orgasms.

Who are you to say why that is, or even worse.... jump to the illogical and presumptuous conclusion that it is somehow linked to my diet and exercise patterns (of which you know absolutely nothing). Most people talk because they like to hear themselves talk, and I suspect that is what's going on here.

When people are closed minded and derogatory towards answers that don't fit their paradigm, such as voluntarily and happily abstaining from orgasms, and then go on to hypocritically suggest that I ought abstain from something else (equally as pleasurable), I find it hard to take their suggestions seriously at all. I've never said or thought that diet can't be a solution for some people. But I maintain my stance that it can not, and is not the solution for everyone.

I don't care how "healthy" or all-encompassing you think your methods are. I'm going to agree with you on some points and disagree with you on others. But I strongly suggest you avoid proselytizing your methods to the utter disregard of other solutions that don't fit your personal (and apparently new-found?) world-view. Such inability to accept and respect the decisions of others is arrogance and the opposite of what a free-society is supposed to promote. I am well versed on how my body reacts to certain activities and foods, so based on those observations I will continue to pursue the methods with which I have achieved 100% success. And when it comes down to it, if I'm happy with where I am, and secure with where I shall go in the sooner or the later, what real concern is it of yours?

Good luck with your methods and I wish you to be acne free, as I wish all people to be someday.

I have no concern about you or your orgasms (or lack thereof). I was simply illustrating a point that it is not correct of you to assume this much about diet and the human body, which clearly shows your lack of knowledge on the subject.

My main problem is how you are spreading misinformation about how much of an effect diet has on the human body :

Have you ever stopped to think that it is you who is the hypocrite in spreading your own method of abstaining from orgasms, and demoting diet as a cure?

The problem I have with your statement is that you write off diet as a solution that won't work for "many people." My previous post was simply to amplify that point - I never once mentioned that abstaining from orgasms will not work for "many people." I merely wanted to illustrate that there is more correlation between diet and the physiological processes of the human body than you appear to understand.

This type of misinformation will simply cause others to believe that their acne cannot be fixed through diet.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 11/12/2012 3:09 am

This type of misinformation will simply cause others to believe that their acne cannot be fixed through diet.

People that are swayed by my words will be swayed by anyone's words. I feel the problem, if you really want to see it as a problem, lies not with me, but with them.

My hope is that someday, everyone will be able to think for themselves based on what they experience, related to what other people's experience, and not be afraid to make their own unique decisions, knowing full well that the consequences of their actions; those consequences being almost completely out of their control. My hope is that people gain a certain level of awareness, where they can always move forward confidently in life, regardless of what may or may not come, because in the end, they realize the ultimate result will be beautifully human.

I appreciate your efforts. I'm not trying to convince anyone that diet isn't their solution. I am simply pointing out that if diet isn't the solution, it's okay.

MemberMember
(@rawhide)

Posted : 11/13/2012 2:25 pm

Lol, people on this section will always find some stupid reason why you still get acne no matter what you eat. It seems to be impossible to comprehend that some of us don't clear up by diet changes and the acne lives a separate life of its own. I eat nothing but vegetables, eggs, fish, chicken, nuts, olive- and coconut oil but my bumps keep emerging because my hormones are messed up. No I don't have a fucking intolerance to those foods. Gluten and dairy will make it worse so I stay away from them but I'm not getting clear with this.

MemberMember
(@nicklo62)

Posted : 11/16/2012 12:17 am

I agree with what raw hide said. Diet just does not work for everyone. I was a vegetarian for 7 years. I do not eat any simple carbs or any refined sugars at all. i eat healthy, exercise, and barely have any fat on me. Maybe 9%. Yet I still have moderate acne all over my body. I never use soap on my face, and it is clear. So as of right now I am going to try the same thing on my bacne. Maybe that is the answer for me, and to the OP good luck in your search for clear skin.