Notifications
Clear all

Gluten--Where's The Research?

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 01/09/2013 2:55 pm

Ok, I don't really want to get edgy about language here, but it should be clarified that to be attributed means to be related to or associated with, not necessarily "caused by". In any case, it's not exactly untrue. Technically speaking, the ingestion of gluten damages the intestinal villi in people who have celiac disease (as you know). There is also evidence that individuals can develop celiac disease over years of ingesting gluten. So yes, in a way, it can cause celiac disease.

One more thing - you can be "healthy" and still have an autoimmune condition.

It's not about language at all, and yes, of course people with Celiac disease can't consume gluten, it's what the disease is about. Indeed, people can develop Celiac over time. The question is: were they already sensitive to gluten to begin with? The exact causes are unknown and there is no research on healthy humans proving that grains are bad or even cause an autoimmune condition. If you do have such research, I'd be happy to stand corrected, as it may bring us one step closer to a possible solution. But again: I've never seen it.

MemberMember
(@hopeful26)

Posted : 01/09/2013 3:03 pm

Ok, I don't really want to get edgy about language here, but it should be clarified that to be attributed means to be related to or associated with, not necessarily "caused by". In any case, it's not exactly untrue. Technically speaking, the ingestion of gluten damages the intestinal villi in people who have celiac disease (as you know). There is also evidence that individuals can develop celiac disease over years of ingesting gluten. So yes, in a way, it can cause celiac disease.

One more thing - you can be "healthy" and still have an autoimmune condition.

It's not about language at all, and yes, of course people with Celiac disease can't consume gluten, it's what the disease is about. Indeed, people can develop Celiac over time. The question is: were they already sensitive to gluten to begin with? The exact causes are unknown and there is no research on healthy humans proving that grains are bad or even cause an autoimmune condition. If you do have such research, I'd be happy to stand corrected, as it may bring us one step closer to a possible solution. But again: I've never seen it.

I hear your point, and I think you're right in that the research (into early sensitivity turning into celiac disease, and into the actual "causes" of the disease) is not really there. They're now looking into genetic markers, which is really interesting stuff: http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/21278763.

My point was mainly about wheat/gluten, but I also think you raise a good point about other grains. I don't think that all grains are bad at all, but I do think that many people (especially in North America) could benefit by reducing their consumption, particularly because of the blood sugar effect they can have. I remember the old food guide (here in Canada) used to recommend 10-12 servings of grain products per day. That's crazy! I personally find I feel my best and my digestion is best when I limit my grain consumption to less than 3 servings per day. But, everyone has a different regimen that will work for them!

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 01/09/2013 3:12 pm

I hear your point, and I think you're right in that the research (into early sensitivity turning into celiac disease, and into the actual "causes" of the disease) is not really there. They're now looking into genetic markers, which is really interesting stuff: http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/21278763.

My point was mainly about wheat/gluten, but I also think you raise a good point about other grains. I don't think that all grains are bad at all, but I do think that many people (especially in North America) could benefit by reducing their consumption, particularly because of the blood sugar effect they can have. I remember the old food guide (here in Canada) used to recommend 10-12 servings of grain products per day. That's crazy! I personally find I feel my best and my digestion is best when I limit my grain consumption to less than 3 servings per day. But, everyone has a different regimen that will work for them!

Yes, that's very interesting, indeed. Especially since Celiac seems to occur more often in Caucasians and more in women than men, more in people who have a family member with the disease, etc. Genetics definitely play a role.

I agree that it shouldn't be a staple, 10-12 servings a day is pretty crazy, haha. And definitely, if people feel better without them, by all means, don't eat them.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/10/2013 12:42 pm

There's quite a lot of research cited in the gliadin, wheat germ aglutinin and gluten sensitivity articles on wikipedia.

And in this article: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/dark-side-wheat-new-perspectives-celiac-disease-wheat-intolerance-sayer-ji

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 08/17/2013 6:19 pm

So where do I fit in? I have been doing my homework for years now, almost 26 years old, and quite dairy about 4 years ago. Been gluten free for 8 months, no difference! I am healthy, I live in Santa Cruz, organic food is abundant and the air is perfect. I swear to god, I am at my wits end. You name it, I have done it. Except for Accutane and parts of Chinese medicine which include acupuncture. I've done the b5 which made my acne way worse. I am fed up and made an appointment with my doc about hormone imbalance testing. I mean shit, I am so damn healthy, and I STILL break out. I think people are creating acne THEMSELVES, by worrying so much about what they eat, and if it will cause a breakout. I know I do...I Worry all the time, and it is not making the problem any better.

Organic stone-ground whole wheat bread should do it. With no more than 3 ingredients. And remember consume in moderation.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 08/17/2013 8:23 pm

Gluten is one of the main causes of my acne and I would have never guessed it. You owe it to yourself to do gluten free for a few weeks and see if it helps your skin. If it dosen't then you know you have no issues, and if it does then you know you do. The bloodtests are usless, mine said I wasn't intolerant to gluten but without that and corn I'm acne free! Another thing, many gluten free products contain corn which is a very common allergen people forget about. I am more allergic to corn than gluten and corn is in everything! My advice: Try going gluten and corn free and see if it helps you. I have a great diet and a huge variety of foods to eat. You don't have to worry about every trace of gluten as you do not think you are celiac.

Then you do NOT have acne. You have been misdiagnosed. Acne is entirely a disorder of the hair follicle lining caused primarily by genetics and aggravated by an inborn over sensitivity to androgens. If you truly had acne despite your elimination of your purported "gluten and corn" allergy it would not fix the genetic and hormonal factor and the acne would still exist regardless. What you probably have is another skin disorder called perioral dermatitis or another type of dermatitis.

Go back to your dermatologist and ask for further tests as this does not sound like true Acne Vulgaris in the least.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 08/20/2013 8:24 am

Have to say.

I have seriously changed my outlook on Gluten.

I have tried to find conclusive proof it is as bad as people say. However i have not found anything.

I cut gluten out for 3 months.What I thought were improvments wasn't coming from lack of gluten was imrpovements from an overall better diet.

I have since added gluten back in and i'm no worse off, if anything i am a lot happier because i have a wider range of food.

My ethos. You should only cut a food out if you have an intorlerance to it. I can handle gluten fine.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 08/20/2013 10:17 pm

There's quite a lot of research cited in the gliadin, wheat germ aglutinin and gluten sensitivity articles on wikipedia.

And in this article: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/dark-side-wheat-new-perspectives-celiac-disease-wheat-intolerance-sayer-ji

Great link alternativista. Lots of great info regarding epigenetics and celiac disease. I know you've got a whole thread on epigenetics which everyone should take a look at. (from article) It's not the genes, but what we expose them to

Thought this was an interesting way to think about gluten from the article:

In a previous article, I discussed the role that wheat plays as an industrial adhesive (e.g. paints, paper mache, and book binding-glue) in order to illustrate the point that it may not be such a good thing for us to eat. The problem is implicit in the word gluten, which literally means "glue" in Latin and in words like pastry and pasta, which derives from wheatpaste, the original concoction of wheat flour and water which made such good plaster in ancient times. What gives gluten its adhesive and difficult-to-digest qualities are the high levels of disulfide bonds it contains. These same sulfur-to-sulfur bonds are found in hair and vulcanized rubber products, which we all know are difficult to decompose and are responsible for the sulfurous odor they give off when burned.
MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 08/21/2013 7:07 am

This is very good read.

There are no "clean" or "dirty" foods.

Based on actual research and study.

http://impruvism.com/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/21/2013 3:11 pm

Great link alternativista. Lots of great info regarding epigenetics and celiac disease. I know you've got a whole thread on epigenetics which everyone should take a look at. (from article) It's not the genes, but what we expose them to

Thought this was an interesting way to think about gluten from the article:

In a previous article, I discussed the role that wheat plays as an industrial adhesive (e.g. paints, paper mache, and book binding-glue) in order to illustrate the point that it may not be such a good thing for us to eat. The problem is implicit in the word gluten, which literally means "glue" in Latin and in words like pastry and pasta, which derives from wheatpaste, the original concoction of wheat flour and water which made such good plaster in ancient times. What gives gluten its adhesive and difficult-to-digest qualities are the high levels of disulfide bonds it contains. These same sulfur-to-sulfur bonds are found in hair and vulcanized rubber products, which we all know are difficult to decompose and are responsible for the sulfurous odor they give off when burned.

It's not just that it's 'glue' but that it binds to the very substance that our digestive tracts are lined with (and that insect exoskelatons are made of)