Notifications
Clear all

Bone Broth

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 08/25/2012 2:57 pm

I'm looking in to making bone broth to help with my digestion, i don't know an awful lot about making it yet so i shall have to do some research. We have bought a cooked chicken from the supermarket and just wondering will the bones from that be much use or is it best to use ones that have come from the butchers that you know will be better quality?

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 08/26/2012 7:59 am

As long as these bones are okay to use is this all i really need to do...

1. Remove any meat from the bones and put the bones in a pot

2. Cover the bones with water

3. Add vegetables if i wish to improve the flavour

4. Cover the pot and turn on the heat to a gentle boil

5. The amount of time i'm confused on, i've read that a couple of hours up to 24 hours.

6. Turn off the heat and strain through a sieve

7. Store in the refrigerator until ready to have

Is that an okay method to follow or is there anything else i need to do?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/26/2012 9:53 am

Use a crock pot and do it for 24 hours. Add a little acv to help get the nutrients out of the bones. And those are ok, but for the most nutrients, it would be best if you could use bones from healthy free roaming chickens. Feet, necks and wings are some of the best parts to use.

Add garlic. And onion skins for the quercetin.

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 08/27/2012 8:41 am

Thanks very much, i shall invest in a crock pot and give that a try.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 08/27/2012 10:19 am

Let us know how it works for you. I can't do bone broths because they cause me terrible breakouts. :( I feel like the only one this happens to because everyone else always says how great they are!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/27/2012 11:46 am

Let us know how it works for you. I can't do bone broths because they cause me terrible breakouts. sad.png I feel like the only one this happens to because everyone else always says how great they are!

Have you tried from different animals? I'm working on a theory that my dog is allergic to chicken as so much of what I've done to try to improve my dog's skin problems has involved chicken and he got worse. Which is too bad because the broths were for both of us, and I don't like beef. And doubt I'd like lamb broth which is what I think I'll try next if the Hispanic supermarket near me has lamb breasts again. A fatty slab of ribs, I think.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 08/27/2012 12:53 pm

Good question. I'm not sure, actually. I may have only tried chicken.

MemberMember
(@timpulse)

Posted : 08/27/2012 5:48 pm

I tend to use chicken bones, since I eat about 3 chickens a week. I like to add a little bit of beef or lamb bones since I can't seem to get the liquid to gel with just chicken bones.

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 08/31/2012 4:29 pm

I came in here to say mine aren't gelling up either, i'm just using chicken bones at the moment. If they aren't gelling up does that mean they aren't going to be all that useful?

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 09/15/2012 2:55 pm

I've been in a bit of excitement all day as i checked the broth today that i made last night and it was all gelled up. Strange how something like that gets me excited but there you go razz.gif I have got some beef bones from the butchers and i am just wanting to know about freezing them. I know we are able to freeze the raw ones okay, we have roasted some though. Can these ones be frozen now or am i going to have to get them used? Also i know you can use bones more than once, does anyone have any ideas how many times you can roughly use beef bones?

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 09/23/2012 6:20 am

I tend to use chicken bones, since I eat about 3 chickens a week. I like to add a little bit of beef or lamb bones since I can't seem to get the liquid to gel with just chicken bones.

I can't seem to get full chickens or beef to gel on there own but when i throw in some chicken drumsticks they are absolute beasts for getting it to gel. If anyone has any problems getting it to gel i would highly recommend giving the drumsticks a go.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/24/2012 9:33 am

I can't seem to get full chickens or beef to gel on there own but when i throw in some chicken drumsticks they are absolute beasts for getting it to gel. If anyone has any problems getting it to gel i would highly recommend giving the drumsticks a go.

Actually, feet and wings are the best.

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 09/24/2012 12:02 pm

Actually, feet and wings are the best.

Since starting the bone broth i have been getting diarrhea, i think it has been when i have had to mugs of it a day. Can it have some sort of cleansing effect on your body to start of with or does broth just not suit me? And thanks for those, if i can keep the broth going i will see if i can get any feet and wings.

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 10/03/2012 8:45 am

Is bone broth fattening? I know fat forms at the top when it has been refrigerated, i remove that but what about the rest? The reason i ask is because i have major issues with fats, if i consume anything like olive oil, coconut oil etc my stomach bloats severely, i get constipated, brain fog and i feel terrible. I don't know why this is but i hate it so much. Anyway this week i have been like this and the only thing i can think it can be is the broth as that is the only thing that has changed in my diet recently.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 10/06/2012 1:30 am

Is bone broth fattening? I know fat forms at the top when it has been refrigerated, i remove that but what about the rest? The reason i ask is because i have major issues with fats, if i consume anything like olive oil, coconut oil etc my stomach bloats severely, i get constipated, brain fog and i feel terrible. I don't know why this is but i hate it so much. Anyway this week i have been like this and the only thing i can think it can be is the broth as that is the only thing that has changed in my diet recently.

I think you need to go to a good gastroenterologist and see if your liver is producing sufficient enzymes and have enough HCL acid in stomach. Bad digestion is a cause of acne. You can supplement ACV/vegetable juice/coconut water, zinc and b complex vitamins to see if it makes you feel any better. Regular consumption of Papaya, pine apple and apples will also help.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/09/2012 8:21 am

Skim off the fat and it should be fine. And have you looked into improving your ability to digest fats?

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 10/09/2012 4:20 pm

I am currently taking an enzymes supplement that contains Betaine HCI. I am starting to juice vegetables like carrots, cucumber and leafy greens to see if that can do any good. How much do you think this can help with digesting fats or do i need to be doing anything else? I'm not to sure there are any gastroenterologists around my area, i have been to my local doctors and i never find them to particularly helpful. I shall have to see if i can find a gastroenterologist around somewhere though.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/09/2012 7:52 pm

What about nutrients such as the B vitamins, zinc, d, green tea, etc http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne/page__st__20#entry2637530

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 10/10/2012 1:59 pm

I shall have a read on that, thanks. As my digestion is really bad, i'm bloated/constipated 24/7, do you think it would be best to stop eating any meat and fish etc for now? Maybe it would be best if i just stuck to things easy to digest for a while.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 10/10/2012 4:46 pm

It sounds like you have poor bile flow. I've dealt with this in the past. I can digest fat fine now as long as I take certain supplements...

vitamin C -- 150 mg with each meal

magnesium (glycinate) -- 200 mg in the morning, 200 mg at night (empty stomach)

zinc (picolinate) -- 25 mg with breakfast

B-complex -- a small piece of a 50 mg tablet with each meal (I can' tolerate large amounts for other reasons)

Plus betaine HCl and pancreatic enzymes, which it looks like you are already taking. Another thing that would help is either milk thistle or artichoke extract. (I used to take artichoke and found it really helpful -- I just can't take it anymore because I'm allergic to it.)

Also, at one point I had IBS (I had trouble with both fat and fibre) and it turned out to be caused by mercury toxicity, and I fixed it with a mercury detoxification protocol. Do you happen to have silver (mercury) fillings in your teeth?