Notifications
Clear all

Can Alcohol And Smoking Change Hormones?

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 06/12/2012 4:27 am

As in my last post I mentioned I was trying to disect my year of 2010 to try and piece together why I have this acne that I do. As mentioned it appeared very late 2010. this was also a time I was moving house (although if anything less stressful than anything as at the time I didnt have to worry about money or school or anything, in fact it was probably the happiest time of my life.

I have a question. The two physical things I did from mid 2010 to the occurance of my acne was drink alcohol and I started smoking. I'm going to be very honest and say I was the kinda person who had no interest in school, I also went to a very lenient school and I went out every weekend and drank etc. I never did drugs but I did start smoking (1-2 a day) for about 3 months. I actually remember the week my acne started to appear (I was still a bit oblivious) I was drinking a fair bit of absinthe, vodka and smoking but keeping in mind I didnt drink every day at all, just one night on the weekend but I mention the absinthe because its probably a little different to other drinks like vodka, although i heard it was actually 'less harmful' to the body than things like beer with yeast etc but i dont know enough about absinthe so mentioning it there.

I'm definitely not dumb i realize smoking was bad I only did it for 3 months but got bored of it and even so as soon as I noticed acne i quit and stopped drinking, ironically those were my only vices though i have always lived a life of a good diet as promoted on the boards, sleep, exercise etc.

My questions involve, do you think absinthe could have affected my body somehow, somewhat forever? same with smoking. although it has been 2 years now of a very very very clean lifestyle from my water to the air to my diet to my entire living. never even touched chemical facewashs ever. so really if it was a toxic problem (from the smoking/alcohol build up over a year?) shouldnt my body be more than healed after 2 years with what im doing? considering i only smoked for 3 months and i doubt drinking once a week for a year could damange my liver badly... (noting my liver was tested healthy and i already tried supporting supplements for months).

any opinons on the absinthe side of things? do you think there is a correlation with the drinking and smoking and my unchanging hormonal issue? and if so ... how come its not responding to my changes over the years?

sorry guys if im annoying you but im definitely fed up with this acne, sick of missing out on life and still doing everything right -_-

the fact that im now blaming my acne on absinthe shows how clueless I am to what is going on and just tried so much.

might add here, how come i have friends who drink every night and chain smoke and have amazing faces? when they had acne as a teen aka acne prone..

oh i dont know anything anymore.

MemberMember
(@chunkylard)

Posted : 06/12/2012 9:12 am

"do you think absinthe could have affected my body somehow, somewhat forever?" Could definitely have affected you negatively, but not "forever,"

Smoking decreases retinoic acid production in your body/skin and as most people know, Vitamin A is extremely important for healthy skin and proper cell division. But even if it didn't deplete the various forms of Vit A in your body, smoking is still bad for you in many other ways.

"how come i have friends who drink every night and chain smoke and have amazing faces? when they had acne as a teen aka acne prone..

oh i dont know anything anymore." Their physiology changed, their diet changed, etc. Or they might just not express their health problems in the form of acne. Some people become obese instead of getting acne. Take solace in the fact that they ARE doing their body harm, even if you can't necessarily see it on their faces.

Yes, alcohol and smoking affects hormones but probably not in the way you're thinking.

How old are you FSAS? Obviously nobody should be doing drugs, but if you're going to I'd recommend waiting until your 20s because they can affect neurological development.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/12/2012 10:50 am

There are a number of ways it can end up affecting hormones and other factors involved in health and acne. But probably not for forever. Not if you are now leading a healthy lifestyle.

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 06/14/2012 3:55 am

"do you think absinthe could have affected my body somehow, somewhat forever?" Could definitely have affected you negatively, but not "forever,"

Smoking decreases retinoic acid production in your body/skin and as most people know, Vitamin A is extremely important for healthy skin and proper cell division. But even if it didn't deplete the various forms of Vit A in your body, smoking is still bad for you in many other ways.

"how come i have friends who drink every night and chain smoke and have amazing faces? when they had acne as a teen aka acne prone..

oh i dont know anything anymore." Their physiology changed, their diet changed, etc. Or they might just not express their health problems in the form of acne. Some people become obese instead of getting acne. Take solace in the fact that they ARE doing their body harm, even if you can't necessarily see it on their faces.

Yes, alcohol and smoking affects hormones but probably not in the way you're thinking.

How old are you FSAS? Obviously nobody should be doing drugs, but if you're going to I'd recommend waiting until your 20s because they can affect neurological development.

I'm 20. but yes I have no interest in smoking or drugs etc. I drink on occasion but thats just to stay sane and try and have a bit of fun but im defintiely incredibly healthy, I have been for years, all my life really but very strictly the past 2. I definitely dont want to smoke again its gross anyway and im fully aware of the effects. There's already something wrong with my body i'd hate to make it worse considering im trying so hard to make it 'better' :/

There are a number of ways it can end up affecting hormones and other factors involved in health and acne. But probably not for forever. Not if you are now leading a healthy lifestyle.

thanks for your input,

I thought maybe hormones could be altered 'forever' in the sense of how the bcp can really mess one up. But yeah I only smoked for 3 months and not much and even when i was drinking without a slight bit of guilt it was not every day and only for a year and i was 18-19 then and never have taken antibiotics etc so i think my liver coped very well. then again brings up the concern as i'm a skinny person and I could drink 3/4 of a bottle of straight vodka and barely feel drunk, i definitely was not a lightweight and even a lot of my guy friends got more drunk than I on weaker drinks, i just got tired really. so that was always a "what the!" factor to me, i dont know what my liver was doing and why i never really got drunk when i should have, but my liver was tested healthy so can only assume im just weird and need to drink a lot to even get drunk i doubt theres an answer for that though

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/25/2013 1:22 am

Wait, so you say your freinds (who chain smoke and drink like crazy) had acne, but it went away? Tell me that alcohol/cigs were not the issue..

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 01/25/2013 2:45 am

I guess I'm an alcoholic I drink at least one beer a day

I don't think it affects my acne if anything the days I don't have a beer ill get a pimple the next day.

They are times were I drink Friday and Saturday the whole day drunk and my oily skin disappears I guess it does affect your hormones but for me is in a good way.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/25/2013 3:47 am

Short answer yes it can.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/27/2013 12:38 pm

Yes, both alcohol and smoking can affect hormones. For alcohol, it also depends on the quality and quantity....for example, I switched from beer and whiskey to cider because it's gluten free, but then I started getting histamine reactions and the trigger was cider according to my research. So then I switched to a lower gluten beer (which I only drink once every 2 months anyway, just when I go out and there's nothing else to drink) and haven't had any reactions.

I used to smoke a lot when I was younger and part of it was to lose weight and eat less. But, the amazing thing was that when I quit smoking I actually lost weight and my metabolism was back on track.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 01/27/2013 2:29 pm

I have to agree with Alternavista where she said in your other thread that it's the stress. You clearly are stressed, and I ended up discovering that was the biggest, HUGEST thing with my acne.

Something that is important to point out is that you can be under constant stress and still be happy. You can laugh, go about your day, not feel particular worried about money or personal life issues. It's more the constant, subconscious worry and frustration over our acne that's the chronic issue. Which I know for a fact that you have, because I've been on this forum a while and see your posts over the years. Just like me, you are always upset and wondering why you have acne, even if only subconsciously.

Of all the things I've done with diet and health over the years, the biggest improvements to my skin were the times I did a lot of deep inner work regarding my feelings about having acne, which were a ton of frustration, anger and fear. The more I remove those emotional toxins, the more the cysts go down.

I know it's hard, but you have to try and let go of your intense desire to understand why you are getting acne. I've been doing a lot of work with affirmations, things like: "Even though it's frustrating that I don't understand why I keep getting this acne, I allow myself to release and let go of the true cause and ask the Universe to help my body find its balance again."

It helps so much!