Notifications
Clear all

Estrogen Dominance Treatment Making Acne Worse?

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 03/08/2012 8:04 pm

4Fours,

Sorry for over-stepping earlier, and thank you for the correction about bio-identical hormones--I definitely had that wrong. I am really sorry you're struggling with depression and adding acne on top of that certainly doesn't help. A book comes to mind--I haven't read it, but I have definitely heard good things about it. In case you haven't yet heard of it, and in case it might have new suggestions for you, I thought I'd pass it along: The UltraMind Solution by Mark Hyman. You sound very smart in your approach to this--hoping you find a solution soon. smile.png

Forgot, I got this book from the library. It totally is in line with what my doc is doing. Very interesting book, thanks for the recommendation!

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 03/08/2012 8:29 pm

How great!! I'm actually reading through it right now myself!! Finding it very interesting as well! Seems like a great book for overall health in general! :)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/08/2012 9:14 pm

Mark Hymen was on today's Dr Oz episode naming 5 healthiest foods under $1 per serving. It was just as goofy and superficial a segment as most on that show.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 03/08/2012 9:15 pm

Oh no....that's a shame. I've seen some "really" lame segments on Dr. Oz's show. :(

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/09/2012 11:16 am

Did you know your thyroid was enlarged before this?

My doc is supporting my adrenals with the Maca, as well as a Balanced HPA Formula called Contegra. This has also greatly helped my depression. If I try to decrease the dose by even one pill, I get sent right into depression-land. Here's the info: http://www.sanesco.n...onal-therapy/32 ...

I don't think it's stress for me because when I was planning my wedding 2 years ago, and my husband was in the throws of his serious health crash and we didn't know if he'd be able to make it to the wedding... I was super stressed, my skin was clear. Granted, things are stressful now. My husband has chronic fatigue and has been out of work for 2 years. We are super broke, and both have health issues. But I definitely have been more stressed recently in my life and had no skin issues.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 03/09/2012 12:27 pm

I just saw this in the Wikipedia article on adaptogens and thought it you might find it as funny as I do.

An adaptogen must have a normalizing effect, i.e. counteracting or preventing disturbances to homeostasis brought about by stressors. Moreover, it must be innocuous with a broad range of therapeutic effects without causing any major side effects. The adaptogen concept does not fit easily into the Western model of medicine

Yeah, something that helps without causing side effects sure doesn't fit in Western medicine. Especially considering adaptogens are mostly herbs and nutrients.

haaa!! Isn't that the truth! Crazy how Conventional medicine is, in so many ways, "in the Dark Ages." At least people are starting to realize this--15 years ago, it was mostly just hippies and people into new age who were open to alternative ways.

4Fours,

Sorry if you have already stated, but do you know what type of Maca you're on? Is it by chance Royal Maca? I've been reading about it this morning.

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 03/09/2012 9:27 pm

Yay!! Sounds like a good plan! You previously said you're not on synthetic thyroid medication, right? I think you said you were taking a non-synthetic. The reason I ask is that some say your thyroid can become dependant on the synthetic thyroid medications but with the natural kind and with iodine, it's possible to wean yourself off of them eventually.

Interesting about the Nascent Iodine causing free radical damage. I think if you're getting too much, your body lets you know. A lady I know had all of her health problems (mostly fatigue) cleared up (after I think 20+ years of trying different therapies) by doing lots of iodine as recommended by Dr. Brownstein, but after a while of doing mega doses, she started getting symptoms of too much iodine, so she just cut back. The book definitely warns of the symptoms of too much iodine.

Got my fingers crossed for you!

Yes, non-synthetic thyroid. I'm not crazy about it, since I try to be as vegan/ vegetarian as possible. But yes, it's all pig! Thanks for your well wishes

Yes, she had mentioned that my thyroid was slightly enlarged when I started seeing her 2 years ago. I thought it was getting better, it's within the "real" reference range (around 3.0), I was just surprised that it would still be enlarged after being on thyroid for a while. Especially since I was getting HYPERthyroid symptoms.

My doc is supporting my adrenals with the Maca, as well as a Balanced HPA Formula called Contegra. This has also greatly helped my depression. If I try to decrease the dose by even one pill, I get sent right into depression-land. Here's the info: http://www.sanesco.n...l-therapy/32...

I don't think it's stress for me because when I was planning my wedding 2 years ago, and my husband was in the throws of his serious health crash and we didn't know if he'd be able to make it to the wedding... I was super stressed, my skin was clear. Granted, things are stressful now. My husband has chronic fatigue and has been out of work for 2 years. We are super broke, and both have health issues. But I definitely have been more stressed recently in my life and had no skin issues.

But that could be when your adrenals were exhausted. ???

Which issue are you addressing here? Skin or general wellness/ depression? Both started to get bad way before the wedding and my husband's health crash. It started over 5 years ago. My adrenals are more supported now than they were in the past. So, I'm not sure what you mean. Is it your thinking that what I am going through must not be hormonal, but related to adrenals? I mean, I know everything is interconnected. But I feel like I am doing a lot right, my adrenals and other systems are being supported, and am in better shape now than I have been. But I am getting cystic acne, which I never had before. The only explanation that makes sense to me is the progesterone supplementation. I know stress builds, but when she decreases my progesterone, my skin gets better. So it makes me think it's not stress/ adrenals.

4Fours,

Sorry if you have already stated, but do you know what type of Maca you're on? Is it by chance Royal Maca? I've been reading about it this morning.

FemmenesencePRO, but I'm getting off of that and starting Hormone Balance from Vital Nutrients.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/10/2012 3:05 pm

Which issue are you addressing here? Skin or general wellness/ depression? Both started to get bad way before the wedding and my husband's health crash. It started over 5 years ago. My adrenals are more supported now than they were in the past. So, I'm not sure what you mean. Is it your thinking that what I am going through must not be hormonal, but related to adrenals? I mean, I know everything is interconnected. But I feel like I am doing a lot right, my adrenals and other systems are being supported, and am in better shape now than I have been.

I meant that that could have been when your adrenals became exhausted starting the problems you now have.

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 03/12/2012 3:00 pm

Yay!! Sounds like a good plan! You previously said you're not on synthetic thyroid medication, right? I think you said you were taking a non-synthetic. The reason I ask is that some say your thyroid can become dependant on the synthetic thyroid medications but with the natural kind and with iodine, it's possible to wean yourself off of them eventually.

Interesting about the Nascent Iodine causing free radical damage. I think if you're getting too much, your body lets you know. A lady I know had all of her health problems (mostly fatigue) cleared up (after I think 20+ years of trying different therapies) by doing lots of iodine as recommended by Dr. Brownstein, but after a while of doing mega doses, she started getting symptoms of too much iodine, so she just cut back. The book definitely warns of the symptoms of too much iodine.

Got my fingers crossed for you!

Yes, non-synthetic thyroid. I'm not crazy about it, since I try to be as vegan/ vegetarian as possible. But yes, it's all pig! Thanks for your well wishes

Yes, she had mentioned that my thyroid was slightly enlarged when I started seeing her 2 years ago. I thought it was getting better, it's within the "real" reference range (around 3.0), I was just surprised that it would still be enlarged after being on thyroid for a while. Especially since I was getting HYPERthyroid symptoms.

My doc is supporting my adrenals with the Maca, as well as a Balanced HPA Formula called Contegra. This has also greatly helped my depression. If I try to decrease the dose by even one pill, I get sent right into depression-land. Here's the info: http://www.sanesco.n...l-therapy/32...

But that could be when your adrenals were exhausted. ???

Which issue are you addressing here? Skin or general wellness/ depression? Both started to get bad way before the wedding and my husband's health crash. It started over 5 years ago. My adrenals are more supported now than they were in the past. So, I'm not sure what you mean. Is it your thinking that what I am going through must not be hormonal, but related to adrenals? I mean, I know everything is interconnected. But I feel like I am doing a lot right, my adrenals and other systems are being supported, and am in better shape now than I have been.

I meant that that could have been when your adrenals became exhausted starting the problems you now have.

But my skin problems started up again 5 years ago. The stress with my husband getting sick and such started 2 years ago. Decreasing my progesterone has made my skin better (but me more depressed). I feel like I am being talked out of the fact that this is hormonal.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 03/14/2012 5:57 pm

She did say that cruciferous veggies (specifically a freeze dried broccoli pill that I can buy, still need to get the info) can help keep the androgen's in check, like was mentioned on this thread previously.

I took this pill. I am pretty sure it is the same thing because it's a very popular one and that's the ingredients. It seemed to help but I stopped it pretty soon because I decided to go on spiro. I've recently stopped anti androgens and now I'm wondering if I should try it again. My labs are all normal, but I seem to have some androgen sensitivity and am told I have PCOS, despite normal androgen levels.

Anyway, I have done TONS of research on natural remedies for hormones, but I always find contradictory things said about phytoestrogens. I've heard they increase estrogen but I've also heard they decrease estrogen. Which is it? That's the reason for my post, because I'm not hijacking your thread, it just seems there are knowledgeable people replying and I'm wondering which action phytoestrogens actually take in the body, because I don't want to decrease estrogen.

You may be like me and just be really sensitive to androgens. I've read that people that don't make enough progesterone don't ovulate properly, so they produce more androgens, but I don't know if that's true (so much contradictory stuff out there). Also, in theory, estrogen isn't supposed to break you out, but that's contradicted in places too. I feel I'm in the same boat as you.

Is she saying the broccoli pills will raise androgens? She said it will keep them in check.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/15/2012 8:56 am

Anyway, I have done TONS of research on natural remedies for hormones, but I always find contradictory things said about phytoestrogens. I've heard they increase estrogen but I've also heard they decrease estrogen. Which is it?

Plant estrogens are much weaker so have less of an impact. So if you are low estrogen, they help by performing some of your estrogen functions. If you have excess estrogen, phytoestrogen may help by binding to receptors so that your stronger estrogen can't.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 03/15/2012 1:06 pm

Anyway, I have done TONS of research on natural remedies for hormones, but I always find contradictory things said about phytoestrogens. I've heard they increase estrogen but I've also heard they decrease estrogen. Which is it?

Plant estrogens are much weaker so have less of an impact. So if you are low estrogen, they help by performing some of your estrogen functions. If you have excess estrogen, phytoestrogen may help by binding to receptors so that your stronger estrogen can't.

So you're saying that plant estrogens can help, but I'm guessing that other types like soy etc. (which I wouldn't take anyway) are trickier?

It's so confusing. There are certain vegetables that are said to increase estrogen and others that are said to decrease it. I don't even think I want to play around with it. I'll just eat whichever veggies I want, because I'm afraid if I overload on certain types (increasing/decreasing) I'll end up giving myself an imbalance. I think exercise helps a lot with hormones too as long as it's not too overdone.

OP: Do you exercise?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/15/2012 1:20 pm

So you're saying that plant estrogens can help, but I'm guessing that other types like soy etc. (which I wouldn't take anyway) are trickier?

It's so confusing. There are certain vegetables that are said to increase estrogen and others that are said to decrease it. I don't even think I want to play around with it. I'll just eat whichever veggies I want, because I'm afraid if I overload on certain types (increasing/decreasing) I'll end up giving myself an imbalance. I think exercise helps a lot with hormones too as long as it's not too overdone.

Yes exercise helps. For one, it helps with blood sugar metabolism which helps prevent the stimulation of excess hormone production and increases the substances that bind them up.

the phytoestrogens from soy aren't any more of a problem than from other plants. The problem with unfermented soy is the antinutrients that can damage the digestive tract. And are sources of inflammatory omega 6 EFAs that most people get too much of.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 03/15/2012 2:07 pm

I really need to exercise again. When I exercised my acne became so much milder. I think all women with hormone imbalances should, besides, it's so good for you in general. And it really helps with stress which helps your hormones and acne too. I wouldn't be surprised if it helped modify your adrenals and cortisol both of which can increase acne.

I knew it helped with sugar metabolism, which is why it's so good for people with PCOS, especially with IR and for ones who are overweight. I've seen so many overweight PCOS women get rid of all their symptoms with exercise, diet (low carb) and weight loss alone.

Does it increase SHBG? Are they the substances you read it increases or is it something else. I have a hard time finding out just how it helps hormones, besides helping with sugar metabolism.

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 03/19/2012 4:06 pm

Yes, I exercise. I walk my dog for about an hour a day, yoga and cardio ballet once a week. I am pretty underweight (5'5, about 115 lbs) so I don't really do it to lose weight. It also helps my depression.

The broccoli in the Hormone Balance I am on now were described to me to help your body metabolize estrogen from your body faster. We are supporting my estrogen, even though it is in a good range, because there are 3 types of estrogen. E2 is the most potent out of the three, which I think is the one that get metabolized with the broccoli. The other two are just as necessary, but not as potent, so they need more help. That's how it was explained to me.

My forehead and chin are mostly clear (probably from the Differin and Aczone), but now the cheeks on either sides of my mouth are breaking out in clusters...3-4 non-inflamed blemishes in the same area on each side, which is weird because I don't usually break out there. I am right before my period, so it's not unusual that I am breaking out. I guess I should be glad it's not any worse. Just odd since the only thing that has changed is this new supplement routine.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go off the Spiro?

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 04/05/2012 12:45 pm

Just an update: The Hormone Balance supplement with broccoli and DIM seems to really be helping. My skin is a lot clearer, just still recovering from those non-inflamed blemishes on my cheek area. But I think either the Differin or Aczone is causing my PIH to be worse. It seems like areas that were already healed and gone are coming back as red marks now :( I might try scaling back on those, and see if it is really the DIM and broccoli that are helping me. But other than that, my skin is mostly clear. I just hope the Hormone Balance doesn't stop working after 3 months, like I have read elsewhere.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 04/05/2012 8:22 pm

Great to hear The Hormone Balance is helping!! Hoping it continues. :)

I thought of you the other day, because I've been researching brain training exercises, and I discovered one that has some really great research behind it. It's called Dual-n-Back and can be played online for free. People that play it for 20 minutes a day for 19 days can greatly improve fluid intelligence. It trains your working memory skills which helps with learning in general and even ADD, OCD and depression--which made me want to share it with you!

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 04/06/2012 2:56 pm

OOooh, interesting! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely check it out. And you reminded me I have to renew my checked out copy of "The Ultra-mind solution" from the library :)

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 04/06/2012 11:03 pm

ha!! Overdue library books...I've definitely had a few of those! Let me know what you think of Dual-n-Back! MindSparke has a paid version that allows you to chart your progress and mixes it up a bit, but if you can stand the free version, I'd just stick with that!

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 05/09/2012 4:02 pm

Another update:

Like I feared, the DIM/Broccoli isn't helping as much now. I keep breaking out on the apples of my cheeks, back and forth: 2 on the left side, then they heal, then 3 on the right side). My forehead and chin are pretty clear, so I can't complain too much. Just chasing that perfect complexion I once had. I will still take the Hormone Balance for my Estrogen Dominance, and if it helps my acne a tad, then great. But it has just proven to me that my acne is hormonal. Aczone is helping treat the actives.

In a related story, my depression has been so much better. I haven't been super depressed in a few months. Balancing my hormones has really helped, and again, this is proving to me that my problems are hormonal (as opposed to some deep seeded flaw within me). I feel better than I did when I was on SSRI's, which is a miracle. I'm hoping my body catches onto what my naturopath and I are trying to do, and starts balancing it's own hormones so I can ween off this stuff that is making my acne worse.

I was considering doing IPL, but I might cancel my appointment.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/10/2012 8:12 am

Yeah, many people found dim to be a temporary miracle. Did you read the dim thread I link to in the hormone section of my thread?

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 05/10/2012 11:42 am

Yeah, many people found dim to be a temporary miracle. Did you read the dim thread I link to in the hormone section of my thread?

I did and I asked my Naturopath about it and she said she has never seen it stop working for someone... so I was still holding out hope. In all honesty, it's something I was taking for reasons other than acne, so I wasn't expecting a cure.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/10/2012 1:06 pm

I did and I asked my Naturopath about it and she said she has never seen it stop working for someone... so I was still holding out hope. In all honesty, it's something I was taking for reasons other than acne, so I wasn't expecting a cure.

That thread had a lot of talk about phases and liver support and whatnot in addition to DIM use.

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 05/10/2012 7:14 pm

That thread had a lot of talk about phases and liver support and whatnot in addition to DIM use.

I'm on a ton of supplements for things other than acne. Like I said, if I was just trying to treat acne, I might do things differently. But since I am battling PMDD (depression-based) and frequent migraines, my hands are more tied.

I should add that the latest breakout after I started the progesterone tincture that I take on days 15-28 of my cycle. So, it's more likely that this latest break out (2-4 pimples) is from that. It's hard for me to tell, because my hormones fluctuate so much. Also, I had soy for the first time in months the other night, so that could have contributed as well. We'll see...

MemberMember
(@jamie-sue)

Posted : 05/16/2012 7:14 pm

instead of raising your progesterone, why not try reducing the bad estrogens in your body? I noticed while progesterogen helped some, it still broke me out with more inflamations around my mouth and the middle of my back. Since I stopped with the cream, and recently vitex, those areas have cleared up but I am breaking out more on my shoulders again and getting more small closed comedones especially on chest. I duno which I hate more but DIM has showed me great improvements and I have been losing so much weight! DIM helps motabolise those nasty bad estrogens we are constantly exposed to, I can tell my motabolism is benefiting from it! Also, maybe you should try taking some DHT blockers? Allot of people are starting to believe DHT is what is causing hormonal acne. Just started takingt stinging nettle, which is similar to saw palmetto but no reports of weight gain with stinging nettle. I hope this stuff helps! I will let you know if it does. Just keep working with yourself! maybe you are insulin resistance? I believe this is a major factor to acne. Stinging nettle is also suppose to help with insulin resistance so you can't go wrong with this herb!

Oh on a side note, I have hypothyroidism and break out more when I take synthroid... Ugh :( and sweat more too. I am only 18 and thing my hormonal imbalances have caused a low thyroid. :(

I will never stop until I'm clear! Hope you wont either just keep trying!