Notifications
Clear all

Epigenetics--What You Do To Yourself Changes Your Gene Expression

MemberMember
(@user165416)

Posted : 07/03/2013 9:41 pm

This is fascinating stuff, thanks for the reading recommendations. I only recently began practicing biofeedback exercises for stress, which is complementing acupuncture treatments nicely. I will need to look into other forms of epigenetics as well. I wonder if it is possible to permanently normalize acne genes, or if we are just suppressing those genes while following specific regimens long term.

I was able to normalize my acne genes, to the point where I no longer get breakouts.

I found that my skin would break out when I felt threatened or in danger. I've hypothesized that the danger triggered the fight-or-flight response, which weakened my body and my immune system, and prevented my skin from healing as well as it could.

At any rate, once I started using techniques like EFT to clear these feelings of danger, breakouts lessened as well. Eventually, both the 'danger signals' and the acne have stopped altogether.

On the plus side, these threatened feelings were also at the root of my depression, which as also lifted now.

I'd be curious to know what changes you've noticed using acupuncture?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/03/2013 10:21 pm

This is fascinating stuff, thanks for the reading recommendations. I only recently began practicing biofeedback exercises for stress, which is complementing acupuncture treatments nicely. I will need to look into other forms of epigenetics as well. I wonder if it is possible to permanently normalize acne genes, or if we are just suppressing those genes while following specific regimens long term.

I was able to normalize my acne genes, to the point where I no longer get breakouts.

I found that my skin would break out when I felt threatened or in danger. I've hypothesized that the danger triggered the fight-or-flight response, which weakened my body and my immune system, and prevented my skin from healing as well as it could.

At any rate, once I started using techniques like EFT to clear these feelings of danger, breakouts lessened as well. Eventually, both the 'danger signals' and the acne have stopped altogether.

On the plus side, these threatened feelings were also at the root of my depression, which as also lifted now.

I'd be curious to know what changes you've noticed using acupuncture?

Wow, congratulations! I saw an allergist and she mentioned the fight-or-flight response, and then linked that to stress and depression. I started doing biofeedback exercises, which to me seem a bit similar to yoga and meditation. How long did it take you to see results with EFT? I found some tutorials online - are there any online videos you'd recommend? Not sure which ones to follow. Also, did you change your diet or add any supplements to boost your immune system, or was EFT enough for you?

With acupuncture, after the first few sessions I noticed a huge reduction in stress and anxiety. It was very important to find the right acupuncturist - some didn't work for me, others were trying to adjust my hormones or cleanse my liver and gut and inadvertently worsened my acne. I found that the best acupuncture treatments are the mild ones - like, ones for stress & anxiety reduction, insomnia, blood building and strengthening the immune system. Sometimes the effects of a treatment can last up to 2 weeks, but if I don't keep up with it I don't notice any long term improvements. Sometimes the acupuncturist puts seeds on my ear lobes with pressure points (e.g. for sleep, stress, etc) so I can self-treat and that helps prolong the treatment by a few extra days. Have you tried acupuncture? I recently visited a new acupuncture place where they use high-tech gadgets, and the acupuncturist used a nice massager and a red light on my face. I noticed a big improvement in my skin within a few hours! It really makes a difference once you find a good practitioner.

MemberMember
(@user165416)

Posted : 07/03/2013 11:16 pm

On 7/3/2013 at 11:21 PM, WishClean said:

Wow, congratulations! I saw an allergist and she mentioned the fight-or-flight response, and then linked that to stress and depression. I started doing biofeedback exercises, which to me seem a bit similar to yoga and meditation. How long did it take you to see results with EFT? I found some tutorials online - are there any online videos you'd recommend? Not sure which ones to follow. Also, did you change your diet or add any supplements to boost your immune system, or was EFT enough for you?

With acupuncture, after the first few sessions I noticed a huge reduction in stress and anxiety. It was very important to find the right acupuncturist - some didn't work for me, others were trying to adjust my hormones or cleanse my liver and gut and inadvertently worsened my acne. I found that the best acupuncture treatments are the mild ones - like, ones for stress & anxiety reduction, insomnia, blood building and strengthening the immune system. Sometimes the effects of a treatment can last up to 2 weeks, but if I don't keep up with it I don't notice any long term improvements. Sometimes the acupuncturist puts seeds on my ear lobes with pressure points (e.g. for sleep, stress, etc) so I can self-treat and that helps prolong the treatment by a few extra days. Have you tried acupuncture? I recently visited a new acupuncture place where they use high-tech gadgets, and the acupuncturist used a nice massager and a red light on my face. I noticed a big improvement in my skin within a few hours! It really makes a difference once you find a good practitioner.

Thanks!

I noticed two levels of improvement. On the physical level, my experience was much the same as yours - after using EFT on the acne symptoms, I would notice improvements right away; my acne would fade, the itchiness would go down, the redness would lessen. These improvements happened within a few hours, and lasted for several days.

On the longer term level, it took several months to for improvement in breakouts to show. I had experienced a lot of trauma as a kid, which was responsible for my depression. I used EFT on these childhood traumas, and that's when long-term improvements happened. This was a therapeutic kind of work, and involved a lot of rediscovery of who I was, and neutralizing the painful childhood memories.

Luckily, thanks to EFT, I did most of this work on my own relatively painlessly.

It took about a year for breakouts to stop entirely, but they did started lessening right away. And it only took this long because of how much I personally had to clear. The process sped up after I worked with an EFT practitioner and therapist, which was towards the end of the year.

I didn't change my diet (I had tried cutting out gluten and sugar at one point, which didn't help) or use any supplements. Partly because I was travelling, and didn't have access to the same supply in other countries. EFT was enough for me.

I haven't tried acupuncture, but I certainly want to at some point. Finding the right person to work with really does make all the difference. Even after I was working with an EFT practitioner, I used EFT between sessions to hold on the to the progress we had made together - which is one thing I like about EFT; how easy it is to do it on yourself.

As far as resources, this guy has some really good videos for explaining the basic technique.

[Link Removed]

He doesn't have any specifically for acne, but you can use these to work on getting to your own core issues.

I posted a more in-depth explanation of the cause and effect on my blog, as well:

[Link Removed]

I'm going to be posting more about using EFT on there in the near future.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/04/2013 3:37 am

On 7/4/2013 at 12:16 AM, LukeSawyer said:
On 7/3/2013 at 11:21 PM, WishClean said:

Thanks!

I noticed two levels of improvement. On the physical level, my experience was much the same as yours - after using EFT on the acne symptoms, I would notice improvements right away; my acne would fade, the itchiness would go down, the redness would lessen. These improvements happened within a few hours, and lasted for several days.

On the longer term level, it took several months to for improvement in breakouts to show. I had experienced a lot of trauma as a kid, which was responsible for my depression. I used EFT on these childhood traumas, and that's when long-term improvements happened. This was a therapeutic kind of work, and involved a lot of rediscovery of who I was, and neutralizing the painful childhood memories.

Luckily, thanks to EFT, I did most of this work on my own relatively painlessly.

It took about a year for breakouts to stop entirely, but they did started lessening right away. And it only took this long because of how much I personally had to clear. The process sped up after I worked with an EFT practitioner and therapist, which was towards the end of the year.

I didn't change my diet (I had tried cutting out gluten and sugar at one point, which didn't help) or use any supplements. Partly because I was travelling, and didn't have access to the same supply in other countries. EFT was enough for me.

I haven't tried acupuncture, but I certainly want to at some point. Finding the right person to work with really does make all the difference. Even after I was working with an EFT practitioner, I used EFT between sessions to hold on the to the progress we had made together - which is one thing I like about EFT; how easy it is to do it on yourself.

As far as resources, this guy has some really good videos for explaining the basic technique.

[Link Removed]

He doesn't have any specifically for acne, but you can use these to work on getting to your own core issues.

I posted a more in-depth explanation of the cause and effect on my blog, as well:

[Link Removed]

On 7/4/2013 at 12:16 AM, LukeSawyer said:

I'm going to be posting more about using EFT on there in the near future.

i would definitely try EFT.

thank u for sharing.

i am not sure if i have neurodermititis of dermatitis of some sort.do u think it will help in reducing stress related to about anything and suicidal thoughts too?

also,could u elaborate a lil' more on what is to be done to help the skin - zits,red marks,huge pores,oiliness etc?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/04/2013 7:30 am

Biofeedback and EFT discussion thread

MemberMember
(@user165416)

Posted : 07/05/2013 2:29 am

i would definitely try EFT.

thank u for sharing.

i am not sure if i have neurodermititis of dermatitis of some sort.do u think it will help in reducing stress related to about anything and suicidal thoughts too?

also,could u elaborate a lil' more on what is to be done to help the skin - zits,red marks,huge pores,oiliness etc?

EFT can help with issues of depression. It's especially helpful for stress, because you can use it on the particular events which stress you out. You can use it on suicidal thoughts as well, by focusing EFT on the reasons to quit.

Tomorrow I'll post some in-depth tutorials and instructions on my blog for using EFT on skin issues like those you mentioned - zits, red marks, etc.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/05/2013 9:46 am

thank u.

some days ago i saw a post(of urs as far as i remember) where u spoke about a few techniques.

did u delete that or am i mistaken?

it would be very helpful if u elaborate the steps and what is to be done for both stress,anxiety & skin related issues like acne and dermatitis.

thanks once again.

MemberMember
(@user165416)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:01 am

On 7/5/2013 at 10:46 AM, aanabill said:

thank u.

some days ago i saw a post(of urs as far as i remember) where u spoke about a few techniques.

it would be very helpful if u elaborate the steps and what is to be done for both stress,anxiety & skin related issues like acne and dermatitis.

thanks once again.

That was my post, but I think the admins removed the thread because it was in the wrong board. I will try posting it again in this one, since it's about holistic health.

In the mean time, I've made a blog post you can check out, where I've uploaded a nice little PDF guide on how to use EFT for acne issues. It's a great introduction, and with a lot of practical how-to stuff you can start using immediately.

[Link Removed]

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/06/2013 4:18 am

On 7/6/2013 at 2:01 AM, LukeSawyer said:
On 7/5/2013 at 10:46 AM, aanabill said:

thank u.

thanks once again.

That was my post, but I think the admins removed the thread because it was in the wrong board. I will try posting it again in this one, since it's about holistic health.

In the mean time, I've made a blog post you can check out, where I've uploaded a nice little PDF guide on how to use EFT for acne issues. It's a great introduction, and with a lot of practical how-to stuff you can start using immediately.

[Link Removed]

downloaded!

thanks luke.

i will let u know about the progress.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/09/2014 12:34 pm

Article on frutcose metabolism that examines gene expression. I've only had time to skim.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081209221742.htm

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/20/2014 9:42 am

New Google search term: 'epigenetic mechanism'

There are several mechanisms that make it happen. DNA Methylation is merely the first mechanism discovered. Way back In the '70s!

http://epigenie.com/epigenetics/epigenetic-regulation/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/14/2014 6:48 pm

From an article about cancer fighting abilities of propolis:

Epigenetic changes refer to alterations of the DNA expression without changing its sequence, and therefore in the absence of mutations. Modifying enzymes (histone deacetylases) can switch off entire DNA regions and block expression of the genes there. This has been shown to be a powerful way to interrupt normal cellular metabolism and lead to uncontrolled replication, which is certainly involved in cancer growth and metastasis. To prevent these problems, all cells have in their DNA specialized genes, called tumour suppressor genes, which are expected to be activated if a cell becomes cancerous and either promote healing or induce programmed cell death, if the genetic damages are beyond repair. Conveniently, these protective genes are usually deactivated in cancer cells, allowing them to bypass the security mechanisms built in the DNA. This is exactly where propolis acts; by restoring the functions of DNA, it re-activates the ability of the cell to fight off the malignancy and regulate its replication, therefore blocking tumour growth. According to the authors, this study proves that...

Histone deacetylase inhibitors are a class of drugs designated as epigenetic agents that modulate the activities of tumour suppressor genes, among others.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/extreme-anticancer-potential-propolis?page=2

And this article is on how disrupted sleep (jet lat, night shifts, etc) alter gene expression

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/13/sleep-cycle-disruption.aspx?e_cid=20140213Z1_DNL_art_2&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art2&utm_campaign=20140213Z1&et_cid=DM39324&et_rid=426299157

For instance, one study found that the circadian clocks of mice control an essential immune system gene that helps their bodies sense and ward off bacteria and viruses. When levels of that particular gene, called toll-like receptor 9 (TLR9), were at their highest, the mice were better able to withstand infections.3

Interestingly, when the researchers induced sepsis, the severity of the disease was dependent on the timing of the induction. According to the authors, this may help explain why septic patients are known to be at higher risk of dying between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.

Separate research also found that when participants cut their sleep from 7.5 to 6.5 hours a night, there were increases in activity in genes associated with inflammation, immune excitability, diabetes, cancer risk, and stress.4

Mistimed sleep disrupts circadian regulation of the human transcriptome

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/01/15/1316335111.abstract?sid=1870459f-2230-42f7-83c4-3b809898e94c

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/21/2014 12:33 pm

Meditation Alters Your Genetic Expression

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/20/meditation-relaxation-response.aspx?e_cid=20140220Z1B_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20140220Z1B&et_cid=DM40892&et_rid=432792765

Genetic study2 of eight-week and long-term meditators demonstrated evidence of changes to gene expression specifically antioxidant production, telomerase activity, and oxidative stress as a result of the relaxation response. They theorize that NF-kappa B gene sets may be the messenger between psychological and physical stress wherein the body translates worry into inflammation.

One of the studies cited that studied effects of various Relaxation Response techniques, in addition to meditaion, like Yoga, Tai Chi, deep breathing.

Relaxation Response Induces Temporal Transcriptome Changes in Energy Metabolism, Insulin Secretion and Inflammatory Pathways

[Link removed]

Also

According to neuroscientist, Dr. Lazar,4 long-term meditation practice appears to be associated with preferential cortical thickening:

"brain regions associated with attention, interoception and sensory processing were thicker in meditation participants than matched controls, including the prefrontal cortex and right anterior insula" and that these findings were further validated by an eight-week intervention trial.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/21/2014 12:50 pm

Vocabulary:

The genome is made up of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), a long, winding molecule that contains the instructions needed to build and maintain cells.

For these instructions to be carried out, DNA must be transcribed into corresponding molecules of ribonucleic acid (RNA), referred to as transcripts.

Transcription is the first step of gene expression, in which a particular segment of DNA is copied into RNA by the enzyme RNA polymerase. Both RNA and DNA are nucleic acids, which use base pairs of nucleotides as a complementary language that can be converted back and forth from DNA to RNA by the action of the correct enzymes.

A transcriptome is a collection of all the transcripts present in a given cell. The transcriptome is the set of all RNA molecules produced in one or a population of cells. It differs from the exome in that it includes only those RNA molecules found in a specified cell population, and usually includes the amount or concentration of each RNA molecule in addition to the molecular identities.

Places to learn:

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topic/genetics-5

http://www.genome.gov/10000002

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/07/2014 3:30 pm

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/reversing-fatal-genetic-disorder-through-lifestyle-medicine?utm_source=www.GreenMedInfo.com&utm_campaign=7c0ec17316-Greenmedinfo&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_193c8492fb-7c0ec17316-86969685

Article about a doctor who claimed to fix a boys fatal genetic disorder that tends to lead to leukemia. I skimmed through most of it to get to the nutrition part. But here's an explanation & below the diet supplements.

each time a cell divides it will either produce the same mutation or it will fix the mutation. I told her that mutation was a normal thing that the body has to contend with each and every day. It isn't until the exposures to chemical toxicities overwhelms our nutritional ability that we end up with such chronic mutations or disease. This process is called epigenetics.Epigenetics is a fascinating process by which the body turns on and off genes through one carbon metabolism. By understanding how to help the body with its epigenetic gene manipulation, a physician can help recover mutations and unfavorable gene sequencing. [3] This whole process is why my identical twin daughters are slightly different as they get older. Their DNA is 100% identical but through environmental factors, diet, and lifestyle, their DNA sequencing has evolved to allow these slight variations.

My dietary goal is to balance out the methylation process to improve the gene signaling while improving the body's ability to repair and edit the mutated DNA. This was accomplished by switching the patient to a low glycemic, nutrient dense diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, berries, and legumes; real actual food with the least processing. Next we supplemented with methylcobalamin (methyl B12 lozenges), folate, and B6 supplements. Each of these helps regulate the homocysteine pathway which regulates gene sequencing. This one carbon metabolism of methylation normally is fed by a rich diet of beans, greens and fermented foods. [8]

Funny, ever since I first heard of methylation, the definition always included something about methyl donors. And methyl donors are your sulfur containing amino acids. So I'd been under the impression that it was 'all about sulfur'. But B vitamins seem to be what most are concerned about due to the homocysteine pathway.

Also, I'd think you'd want to promote the recycling of tissues, in which the body would hopefully break down bad or damaged tissues. And intermittent fasting is the way. We aren't supposed to have plenty to eat all the time & it's when we go hungry, that this happens.

Paper about Genetics researchers from Taiwan's National Central University findings that over a third of herbal medicines used in Traditional Chinese Medicine - and nearly all leading therapeutic herbs - alter our genes or alter enzymes that alter our genetic material. http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/herbal-medicine-alters-genes-cell-mitosis-and-epigenome.

[50%] of them promote what is called chromatin condensation. Chromatin is the complex of DNA and protein material that our cells' nucleus is made of. Through the histone enzymes, chromatin will bind up and prepare for cell division, allowing a copy of our DNA to be made during mitosis.

Chromatin condensation occurs during the cell's reproductive cycle as cells divide. During the interphase step the chromatin is loosely mixed, and then during the prophase step the chromatin will condense and the chromosomes will become visible to microscopic observation. This condensed state continues one through the next stages of mitosis until the cell successfully divides. The histones organize the DNA during this chromatin condensation process. The relates directly to DNA repair.

the researchers found a correlation between traditional Chinese medicine hot or cold characteristics as they processed the analysis of the herbs. They also found that some of the alteration occurred through a process called methylation, which occurs as methyl groups are displaced and replaced in order to neutralize radicals.

The fact that so many herbal medicines interact with the histones of the body's cells is critical to understanding the importance of the herbal medicine from both a macro and microscopic view.

This research confirms a study published in 2011 that found nearly 30% of those herbal medicines tested alter the miRNA of cells, and modify our genetic epigenome.

Also' "an enzyme called MTHFR (5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) to convert folic acid and food folate into 5-methylenetetrahydrofolate." Which is the the form involved in epigenetic changes/DNA Repair &/or whatnot. and 'active thyroid hormone is needed to support MTHFR function'

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/methylwho-why-you-should-know-about-methylation?page=2

"

"It hopefully goes without saying that oxidative stress from environmental pollutants, food allergens, poor sleep, and limited relaxation all increase the demand to the corrective efforts of methylation. A clean diet, home, body, and mind are a part of this package. There is rarely a one pill solution, pharmaceutical or nutriceutical."

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/27/2014 8:22 am

Bumping for a certain troll about these days who thinks it's all in your genes and nothing to do with diet or lifestyle. And to keep it from getting archived.

Excerpts from this have been posted before, but it's a pretty good article to read to correct the laymans faulty understanding of genetics now that the genome has been mapped and we know that it's really epigenetic switches that make things happen in your body, and those change due to environmental factors which include your diet, stress, and other lifestyle habits, exposure to toxins and even your relationship with others, especially your mother.
http://discovermagazine.com/2006/nov/cover

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/30/2014 3:24 pm

Epigenetic Trivia

Even temperature switches genes on and off. As seen in the coloration of siamese cats and those rabbits with dark ears & feet. The pigmentation appears in their extremities which have a lower temperature than their core. As they get older and metabolism slows, they sometimes get darker. i've seen very old siamese cats that were nearly all dark brown.

Papers about Acne, Genes and Genes affected by Accutane. I had a longer post, but something happened to it. About the very high number of genes & pathways affected by accutane. sometimes permanently or at least for a very long time. Scary stuff.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2835911/

"of 784 significantly changed genes at 8 weeks, ... 98 gene ontology terms (data not shown), 21 protein domains, 0 chromosomal locations and 10 pathways"

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v126/n5/full/5700213a.html

Post made by someone way back in 2005 which I find Impressive. I did not even know genes 'change' back then.

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/29/2016 8:50 pm

[Link removed]

More on epigenetics & a revision to our understanding of evolution. The epigenome dynamically responds to the environment. Stress, diet, behavior, toxins, and other factors regulate gene expression.

MemberMember
(@robgreene)

Posted : 07/30/2017 4:58 pm

Interesting PhoenixRising thread about chronic fatigue and environmental sensitivities after Accutane: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/rituximab-for-mcs-and-cfs.53154/

He had autoimmune markers and is treating with Rituximab.

Excerpt:

My illness began after using Accutane for 6 weeks when I was 18 years old. Accutane is associated with autoimmune illnesses including Crohn's and IBD, as well as changes in DNA transcription and methylation patterns in T-cells. The latter can be long lasting. (R) Epigenetics is a burgeoning field with many autoimmune diseases expressing similar patterns in epigenetic control mechanisms e.g. DNA methylation, histone acetylation, miRNA. (R) For example, drug induced lupus and systemic lupus erythematosus express an identical DNA methylation pattern with no significant genetic difference to controls. But the former disappears as soon as the offending drug is discontinued. This is an important thread to unravel.

You can read about my symptoms, testing, illness onset and supplement regiment[Link removed]