Intermittent Fasting -Improves Many Factors Involved In Acne, Aging & Disease

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 10/15/2011 4:39 pm

Sit in my car and write, or just lie down. :D

MemberMember
(@spectacled_owl)

Posted : 12/13/2011 2:55 pm

There's nothing extreme about a 4 hour window, I do it because it's natural for me. I get up, go to work, by the time i'm home and ready to eat it's 6pm and around midnight i'm off to bed.

I do extremely active work in a warehouse, and eating lunch makes me too sluggish, physically and mentally. I enjoy food much more if I can sit down afterwards and relax.

Sorry to reply to a somewhat old post, but I hadn't noticed anyone else mention this before. I thought I was crazy (or broken) for feeling crappy after lunch at work. It doesn't matter what I eat, if I eat a significant amount I feel tired and almost lucid. To top that off, I think it's intensified by a bigger breakfast.

For instance today I had sausage and eggs cooked in lard for breakfast and some coconut milk. For my lunch break I ate a can of tuna with some homemade mayo and I feel like I need to take a nap right now. I felt fine before lunch. My eyes are actually hazy (and I need to stare at a computer, how fun).

So yeah, I'm gonna stop thinking about it being weird and try skipping some meals tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@betsy91)

Posted : 12/13/2011 7:40 pm

So is fasting bad? I keep hearing mixed reviews and I'm starting a three day apple fast.

MemberMember
(@cocnutcaramel)

Posted : 12/14/2011 4:13 pm

this is a really cool thread. i think i've done this at least once a week for a long time without thinking about it. I, like alternativista, am hungry and in the mood to eat between about 7am and 5pm. Like today, I had my "dinner" (which looked more like breakfast) at 5pm, then I went to the gym at 7pm, got back home at 9pm and that's way too late for me to start preparing food.

So if i decide to sleep in a bit tomorrow morning i get 16 hrs of fasting, or 14 if i get up early. Skipping dinner is really no biggie for me, as long as i've had enough to eat during the day. I much prefer breakfast-snack-big lunch-early dinner/snack. And I don't get very hungry after working out in the evening. I know you're supposed to eat afterwards, but i'm just not hungry and i hate eating when i don't feel hungry (no worries, i get plenty of proper healthy foods during the day)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/19/2011 3:25 pm

And I don't get very hungry after working out in the evening. I know you're supposed to eat afterwards, but i'm just not hungry and i hate eating when i don't feel hungry (no worries, i get plenty of proper healthy foods during the day)

There's also evidence that working out on an empty stomach is also beneficial. There should be info on that here or in the exercise thread that's primarily about interval training plus moving around a lot during the day, all day everyday which mimics the kinds of activity our bodies evolved doing and our processes were designed to fuel. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/great-exercise-t275783.html

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 12/20/2011 1:45 pm

And I don't get very hungry after working out in the evening. I know you're supposed to eat afterwards, but i'm just not hungry and i hate eating when i don't feel hungry (no worries, i get plenty of proper healthy foods during the day)

There's also evidence that working out on an empty stomach is also beneficial. There should be info on that here or in the exercise thread that's primarily about interval training plus moving around a lot during the day, all day everyday which mimics the kinds of activity our bodies evolved doing and our processes were designed to fuel. http://www.acne.org/...se-t275783.html

i'm not sure if you are aware, but the movement of intestinal muscles can be partially stimulated mechanically, or in other words, vibrations or by applying pressure to them, can further stimulate peristaltic actions, beyond their normal movement. so it seems that any type of physical activity would contribute to regularity, which is a very healthy state for your intestines to be in, it seems the way the human body is designed, it would be beneficial to eat our food before physical activity, so as to aid in the digestive process. perhaps physical activity isnt advised directly after eating, but within an hour or so after eating a meal.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/20/2011 3:58 pm

There's also evidence that working out on an empty stomach is also beneficial. There should be info on that here or in the exercise thread that's primarily about interval training plus moving around a lot during the day, all day everyday which mimics the kinds of activity our bodies evolved doing and our processes were designed to fuel. http://www.acne.org/...se-t275783.html

i'm not sure if you are aware, but the movement of intestinal muscles can be partially stimulated mechanically, or in other words, vibrations or by applying pressure to them, can further stimulate peristaltic actions, beyond their normal movement. so it seems that any type of physical activity would contribute to regularity, which is a very healthy state for your intestines to be in, it seems the way the human body is designed, it would be beneficial to eat our food before physical activity, so as to aid in the digestive process. perhaps physical activity isnt advised directly after eating, but within an hour or so after eating a meal.

There should actually be physical activity just about all day long.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 12/20/2011 5:05 pm

There should actually be physical activity just about all day long.

yea, the modernization of society has changed normal human behaviors quite a bit, i think like pre industrial revolution about 95% of all people were considered farmers as an occupation, now it is the exact opposite. and before that we were hunter/gatherers, now we are ummm, sitters talkers and thinkers?

with a few exceptions i suppose.

even when i go out walking in the neighborhood, im like, the only one out there most of the time, where the hell is everybody? oh yea, they are "driving" somewhere.

as much as i love science and technology, i despise the opportunitys it gives us to disrupt the natural cycles of things, even the biological cycles. night shifts, no excercise, mercury and lead contaminated foods from fossil fuels,acid rain etc.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/21/2011 4:19 pm

even when i go out walking in the neighborhood, im like, the only one out there most of the time, where the hell is everybody? oh yea, they are "driving" somewhere.

It;s always been amusing over the decades whenever there would be a brief walking fad in which you'd see everyone out walking and then a few months later they'd all disappear. My mom has always walked a lot and so I grew up that way.

as much as i love science and technology, i despise the opportunitys it gives us to disrupt the natural cycles of things, even the biological cycles. night shifts, no excercise, mercury and lead contaminated foods from fossil fuels,acid rain etc.

Yep. I've started to think I don't want to sit at a computer anymore and maybe I should find someplace and open a store. Ideally an open air one. I wish I could find one of these towns that are trying to rebuild in a part of the country I want to go to. Like this one, http://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/move-to-braddock-pa-and-afford-the-life-you-always-wanted-or-why-small-towns-are-best.html but not quite that far north.

MemberMember
(@livelaughfart)

Posted : 12/21/2011 4:29 pm

I fast for 15 hours . I stop eating at 10pm and go to sleep and start eating at like 2pm the next day. But I don't go to sleep until 5 am and wake up at 2pm the next morning (or afternoon for most people)...It's so hard to make yourself go to sleep. I wish i could just take a pill and fall asleep but that wont be healthy.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/22/2011 10:21 am

Well try getting up earlier than 2pm so you are tired earlier. And dim all lights in the evening. Avoid bright artificial light after dark. Get out into bright outdoor light in the daytime as much as possible. This is how you make the neurotransmitters that put you to sleep at night and wake you in the morning.

Somewhere around 10pm to 2am is when the deepest and most important sleep occurs. Although that probably varies slightly with time zone, latitude and season. That's when you need to sleep. And it is extremely important for your health.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 12/22/2011 1:29 pm

I fast for 15 hours . I stop eating at 10pm and go to sleep and start eating at like 2pm the next day. But I don't go to sleep until 5 am and wake up at 2pm the next morning (or afternoon for most people)...It's so hard to make yourself go to sleep. I wish i could just take a pill and fall asleep but that wont be healthy.

Melatonin and valerian root have helped me in the past with getting a good night's sleep. The lower the dosage of melatonin the more effective it is, they're both supplements that don't cost very much.

MemberMember
(@spectacled_owl)

Posted : 12/22/2011 2:39 pm

Do you need to have such a crazy sleep schedule because of work or something? If not, I'd say def. try to work on sleeping when it's dark out. Exercise always helps me sleep well. And darkness. Dark, dark room is a must. When I lay in bed playing with my phone I never fall asleep. It's also why I don't have a tv in my bedroom. (Well ok I never used to, now I do but just with a PS2 and VCR hooked up for minime, no cable).

MemberMember
(@livelaughfart)

Posted : 12/22/2011 6:56 pm

Do you need to have such a crazy sleep schedule because of work or something? If not, I'd say def. try to work on sleeping when it's dark out. Exercise always helps me sleep well. And darkness. Dark, dark room is a must. When I lay in bed playing with my phone I never fall asleep. It's also why I don't have a tv in my bedroom. (Well ok I never used to, now I do but just with a PS2 and VCR hooked up for minime, no cable).

Melatonin and valerian root have helped me in the past with getting a good night's sleep. The lower the dosage of melatonin the more effective it is, they're both supplements that don't cost very much.

isnt melatonin a tanning drug?

I am totally against supplimentation because i dont want to ruin my body chemistry and don't know forsure if i have any deficiences.

But i think not being able to sleep has to do with what i eat. like whenever i eat rice I fall asleep right away. But I can't eat rice cuz it will break me out.

And no i dont have work or school to attend to at night...before I go to sleep, I have a big sense of not being ready to sleep, I just don't want to go to sleep and don't have that tired feeling until about 5 30 a.m. Once I get that tired feeling, it's easy to go to sleep right away.

Well try getting up earlier than 2pm so you are tired earlier. And dim all lights in the evening. Avoid bright artificial light after dark. Get out into bright outdoor light in the daytime as much as possible. This is how you make the neurotransmitters that put you to sleep at night and wake you in the morning.

Somewhere around 10pm to 2am is when the deepest and most important sleep occurs. Although that probably varies slightly with time zone, latitude and season. That's when you need to sleep. And it is extremely important for your health.

what if i still get 10 hrs of sleep each night, is it still unhealthy?

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 12/23/2011 12:28 am

isnt melatonin a tanning drug?

I am totally against supplimentation because i dont want to ruin my body chemistry and don't know forsure if i have any deficiences.

But i think not being able to sleep has to do with what i eat. like whenever i eat rice I fall asleep right away. But I can't eat rice cuz it will break me out.

And no i dont have work or school to attend to at night...before I go to sleep, I have a big sense of not being ready to sleep, I just don't want to go to sleep and don't have that tired feeling until about 5 30 a.m. Once I get that tired feeling, it's easy to go to sleep right away.

Melatonin, not melanin. 10 hours of sleep is far more than necessary. Once in awhile is fine but are you sleeping that much regularly? Because that would make sense as to why you can't fall asleep to begin with.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/23/2011 10:04 am

Yes. you shouldn't need 10 hours of sleep. And you need to keep as natural as possible exposure to light and dark. And artificial light doesn't cut it. It is nowhere near as bright as daylight, even on a cloudy day. Get up in the morning, go outside as much as you can, dim lights in evening and sleep at night. Humans are a diurnal species. Get up in the morning and go out into the light and do things the way humans evolved to do.

MemberMember
(@livelaughfart)

Posted : 12/23/2011 6:44 pm

Yes. you shouldn't need 10 hours of sleep. And you need to keep as natural as possible exposure to light and dark. And artificial light doesn't cut it. It is nowhere near as bright as daylight, even on a cloudy day. Get up in the morning, go outside as much as you can, dim lights in evening and sleep at night.

doesn't sunlight just cause aging though? And what is so important about needing to stay with the natural light/dark sleeping pattern? I don't really get how it can affect your health

MemberMember
(@spectacled_owl)

Posted : 12/24/2011 11:49 am

Yes. you shouldn't need 10 hours of sleep. And you need to keep as natural as possible exposure to light and dark. And artificial light doesn't cut it. It is nowhere near as bright as daylight, even on a cloudy day. Get up in the morning, go outside as much as you can, dim lights in evening and sleep at night.

doesn't sunlight just cause aging though? And what is so important about needing to stay with the natural light/dark sleeping pattern? I don't really get how it can affect your health

Well there's a big difference between being outside in your clothes than laying in the 12:00 summer sun in a bikini for several hours. The sun is good for us, just don't over do it. Actually, when I started eating better, I didn't burn like I used to, although I'm sure I still would if I sunbathed for a lengthy time. For millions of years we have risen with the sun and retired when it does. Electricity is a new thing on our evolutionary timeline.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 12/24/2011 10:23 pm

The more seratonin you get during the day time, the more melatonin you naturally produce before bed. Your brain is like a plant that needs lots of natural light so it can photosynthesize (dream).

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/26/2011 12:24 pm

Too much sunlight, sure. But sugar and poor lifestyle habits (such as sleep) are even bigger culprits. Also, in my response above, I was talking about daylight, not necessarily sun exposure. Which you need too. Ideally, you want as much daylight as possible and some UVB exposure to make vitamin D And you do need to make some vitamin D even if you supplement. Your body manufactures a different form which is water soluble and does things the fat soluble D in supplements and fish, etc, can't. UVB rays bounce off the atmosphere when the sun hits at too low an angle such as in the morning, afternoon, winter, extreme latitudes, etc.

Also we are meant to be exposed to a period of bright light and a complete darkness on a daily basis. It's called the circadian rhythm or cycle. And many of your bodiy's processes are timed by this cycle such as the creation of the seratonin in the light which is converted to melatonin in the dark. And it's the melatonin that puts to sleep and keeps you asleep. Also, the production of other hormones and daily repairs to tissues, etc. It's extremely important to your health.

Well there's a big difference between being outside in your clothes than laying in the 12:00 summer sun in a bikini for several hours. The sun is good for us, just don't over do it. Actually, when I started eating better, I didn't burn like I used to, although I'm sure I still would if I sunbathed for a lengthy time. For millions of years we have risen with the sun and retired when it does. Electricity is a new thing on our evolutionary timeline.

Yes, there are many nutrients that protect your skin from sun damage. But only if you eat them. (Although some work topically as well.) With the exception of Omega 3 EFAs, they are pretty much all from plants. Lycopene, proanthocyanins, nutrients in tea, cocoa... Eat lots of flavorful, colorful plant foods.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/06/2012 10:36 pm

how does this effect acne. That is what i bet most are concerned about

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/07/2012 4:55 pm

It improves glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity, reduces oxidative stress and it slows cell proliferation which means it might reduce the hyperproliferation/hyperkeratinization of skin cells that leads to acne. In studies on cancer, both calorie restriction and intermittent fasting slow cell proliferation.

MemberMember
(@phresh)

Posted : 02/07/2012 9:42 pm

For anyone interested in maintaining physical activity in conjunction with this, it's actually more awesome than any traditional diet could be. I believe there were links and mentions of it earlier in this thread. I'm just giving my personal vouch having been doing it for ~2 months now.

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 02/08/2012 12:03 pm

Do we really have to call a 16 hour period of no eating "fasting"? Can't we just call it skipping breakfast?

MemberMember
(@jepooley)

Posted : 02/09/2012 8:28 pm

Lately I've been eatting fruits and vegetables only for breakfast and dinner. So Iet's say I'll have a red bell pepper, an apple, and a carrot. Then at dinner (usually between 6pm-7pm) I eat meat, carbs, and vegetables. Is this an effective way of fasting or no?