Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin B5, LOSING HAIR

MemberMember
(@malika585)

Posted : 08/27/2011 10:10 am

I had been taking Biotin withe the B5. I never took more than 4 mgs of B5 and I took 5 mg of Biotin everyday. I took B5 from mid March and switched to pantethine for a couple of weeks. Then I started B5 again cause the pantethine was not having any effect on my skin. That time I stayed on B5 for about 3 weeks. I read you should take at least 1 mg of Biotin for each gram of B5 and I did do that but the B complex was not of the same brand (quality) so maybe that had an effect.

Now I'm taking 5 mg every 12 hrs to see if that helps. I usually take it with 500 mg of Vit c and take a B 50 complex once in the morning. I had a feeling my hair has started to shed more of late which is odd because it should be slowing down if anything. I guess I have to give it a year and see what happens.

This morning I found an article on google that seemed interesting... it was a study done on women with hair loss problems. They tried a combination of supplements that showed positive results in 6 months. It may help someone here... Just google "Dietary supplement increases anagen hair rate in women with .." and the pdf will come up. Basically it shows that taking L- Cystine 20mg, keratin 20 mg, medicinal yeast 100 mg, calcium pantothenic acid 60 mg, thiamine nitrate 60 mg, and PABA 20 mg (1 capsule, 3xs daily with meals for 6 months) helped increase hair growth. After trying the milk thistle liver detox for the next few months I may try this and see if it helps. I am afraid of the pantothenic acid (B5) but could try all the other supplements.

MemberMember
(@malika585)

Posted : 09/11/2011 9:25 pm

see below

MemberMember
(@malika585)

Posted : 09/11/2011 9:30 pm

---

I am still taking the milk thistle, dandelion root and burdock pills. Its not helping much and my hair is shedding pretty heavily. But I suppose one has to be on this regimen for about 2 months to really see a difference... I have to say that oil of oregano does help with my cystic acne which is a monthly pain. But its only about 50% effective.

Speaking of alternative therapy... I have been reading on Edgar Cayce remedies for hair loss and there is a product called Formula 636 and crude oil regiment that is supposed to be effective. Has anyone heard or had experience with this? Its hard to find reviews for this tonic - Formula 636 which are not related to the Cayce or another sale website. I find his remedies to be really logical so I will look into them after the milk thistle. Its based on the idea of iodine deficiency... and using a more active form of iodine know as Atomidine which stimulates the thyroid glands. If anyone has more info please share it with me!

Apparently I cannot post the link to the website but if you google Edgar Cayce and hair loss you will see the info come up.

MemberMember
(@beautyy)

Posted : 03/02/2012 9:21 am

I was taking B5 for exactly 1 month. I stopped yesterday when I noticed a drastic difference in my hair. I had naturally thick thick hair(it was crazy how thick my hair was). I now only have 25% of the amount of hair that I used to have. I started off on 2G's a day & upped the dose every 5 days I was on 7 grams when I noticed the difference in my hair. I stopped immediately & I now extremely worried on what is going to happen. I plan on seeing a doctor today & drinking a lot of water & sweat it out like I read on one of the above posts. I don't want to put anything else in my body. I'm hoping and praying this works for me.

MemberMember
(@travelleruk)

Posted : 04/24/2012 6:52 pm

^hope it works out for you.

Just wanted to post and say there is hope for people that lose hair with b5, I am finally re-growing my hair.

I was on b5 from about Nov 2009 to Sept 2011, taking about 4 grams a day. It worked really well for acne but around June 2010 I started noticing hair falling out a lot in the shower but didn't think anything of it as my hair still looked ok. Then around July 2011 I let my hair grow longer and finally realised that it was thinning and receding a fair bit. After that I slowly came of it.

It hasn't been until the last 3 months or so that my hair is growing back quite in large numbers, there are little stubbly type strands growing all around my hairline and expanding every day. Now in these last few months I have been taking stinging nettle pills which are meant to inhibit DHT, so I can't be sure if they helped or it just took time for my body to recover from the b5. Either way I just hope the same happens to others that have suffered from b5 hair loss.

MemberMember
(@youngrobot)

Posted : 08/19/2012 8:52 am

bump

MemberMember
(@xdxdaustin)

Posted : 05/03/2013 1:58 pm

Bump