Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin A cleared me up 100% in 48 hrs!!!

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 01/03/2010 11:55 pm

ok my skin is very dry. I haven't had skin this dry ever. I will definitely cut down to 10,000 iu /day. I love having clear skin but I just don't want to risk anything serious.

MemberMember
(@mumble)

Posted : 01/04/2010 12:01 am

LLL3, check your inbox, please, I sent it again yesterday.

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 01/04/2010 1:53 am

Pix or it aint' true.

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 01/04/2010 1:31 pm

Pix or it aint' true.

Day 6: did not take vitamin A, or any other supplements for that matter. No headache today. After the morning shower my face was still pretty dry, but clear for the most part. I have 2 new zits but I have a feeling it's from all the Chinese take out I had yesterday. It's not as dry as it was yesterday but still pretty dry. I need to get some good moisturizer today. I tried using proactive moisturizer but it doesn't seem to do anything to my skin. Can someone please recommend a good non oily moisturizer?

I see my dermatologist tomorrow for the first time. I'll keep you people posted.

MemberMember
(@evasion)

Posted : 01/04/2010 1:43 pm

Pix or it aint' true.

Day 6: did not take vitamin A, or any other supplements for that matter. No headache today. After the morning shower my face was still pretty dry, but clear for the most part. I have 2 new zits but I have a feeling it's from all the Chinese take out I had yesterday. It's not as dry as it was yesterday but still pretty dry. I need to get some good moisturizer today. I tried using proactive moisturizer but it doesn't seem to do anything to my skin. Can someone please recommend a good non oily moisturizer?

I see my dermatologist tomorrow for the first time. I'll keep you people posted.

I like Cetaphil moisturizer.

When I started eating sweet potatoes I saw improvement!

Sweet potatoes is loaded with vit A.

You don't need pills..

I just wanted to quote this post so people would read it again!

MemberMember
(@steviec)

Posted : 01/04/2010 1:47 pm

I plan to get some Vitamin A from a health store in the centre (Holland & Barrett).

They sell Vitamin A in 8,000 IU capsules and the dose is 1 daily.

I imagine this should be fine. Does it help with acne scarring or does it help improve the overall look of the skin, apart from existing acne?

MemberMember
(@alex_09)

Posted : 01/04/2010 2:10 pm

I need to get some good moisturizer today. I tried using proactive moisturizer but it doesn't seem to do anything to my skin. Can someone please recommend a good non oily moisturizer?

I like aveeno daily moisurizing SPF15 lotion. It doesnt tend to dry out the way other moisturizers I have used before do...it doesnt break me out either

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 01/04/2010 2:50 pm

I hope someone can back me on this, but it seems whenever some one posts miraculous results...

the OP never posts a picture of their skin after!

-

It's suspicious and happens so often. I remember asking this dude from another thread, I think some niacin spin-off thread to post pix, and after the first three tries asking, he finally said he didn't have a camera...yeah I bet!2

-

MemberMember
(@deantonio)

Posted : 01/04/2010 3:23 pm

I was gonna say sweet potatoes myself. Love them, good complex carbs to get calories with and loaded with Vitamin A

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 01/04/2010 11:56 pm

I hope someone can back me on this, but it seems whenever some one posts miraculous results...

-

It's suspicious and happens so often. I remember asking this dude from another thread, I think some niacin spin-off thread to post pix, and after the first three tries asking, he finally said he didn't have a camera...yeah I bet!2

-

Did it ever occur to you that some people may not feel comfortable posting a picture of their own face on the internet for everyone to see? You just have to take my word for it. What would be the point of lying about it? I hate acne just as much as anyone on here so the only reason I started this thread is to try and help others.

back on topic.

still Day 6(night) : I took one vitamin A pill today with dinner(25,000 iu). I'm starting to break out again. Several tiny ones on my forehead and a few on both sides of my checks. They are tiny but noticeable. My skin is still very dry mostly around and under my lips, and also in the center of my forehead. All other areas, like around my eyes and sides of my forehead and my nose, are not that visably dry. My lips have also been pretty dry. They keep peeling so it's pretty annoying. I don't notice any orangey color to my face anymore. I can't apply my usual clearisil bp (10%) cream during the day because it will dry the hell out of my skin and it will look more flaky than it already is. So my face looks kind of shiny. It always was when I didn't apply bp cream. Overall, I look pretty clear but not nearly as clear as it was 2-3 days ago.

Oh, and I have had a minor headache for almost the entire day. very minor. If the headache gets at all worse or if my skin becomes more dry, I will cut down to 10,000iu /day. Until then I am sticking with 25,000iu/day.

In hindsight, I really wish i hadn't started taking 50,000 IU of vitamin A. I should have started with 25,000 iu/day.

Anyone else taking this much vitamin A?

MemberMember
(@aussiesmile)

Posted : 01/05/2010 12:18 am

Hey man 25 000IU a day of vitamin A regardless of B2 intake is dangerous. You only need to read up about the affects it can have and your clearly experiences some of them, indicating an OD. I suggest you read this if you haven't already but i guess its your choice. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Vitamin-t234595.html

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 01/05/2010 1:09 am

-

-

Did it ever occur to you that some people may not feel comfortable posting a picture of their own face on the internet for everyone to see? You just have to take my word for it. What would be the point of lying about it? I hate acne just as much as anyone on here so the only reason I started this thread is to try and help others.

back on topic.

still Day 6(night) : I took one vitamin A pill today with dinner(25,000 iu). I'm starting to break out again. Several tiny ones on my forehead and a few on both sides of my checks. They are tiny but noticeable. My skin is still very dry mostly around and under my lips, and also in the center of my forehead. All other areas, like around my eyes and sides of my forehead and my nose, are not that visably dry. My lips have also been pretty dry. They keep peeling so it's pretty annoying. I don't notice any orangey color to my face anymore. I can't apply my usual clearisil bp (10%) cream during the day because it will dry the hell out of my skin and it will look more flaky than it already is. So my face looks kind of shiny. It always was when I didn't apply bp cream. Overall, I look pretty clear but not nearly as clear as it was 2-3 days ago.

Oh, and I have had a minor headache for almost the entire day. very minor. If the headache gets at all worse or if my skin becomes more dry, I will cut down to 10,000iu /day. Until then I am sticking with 25,000iu/day.

In hindsight, I really wish i hadn't started taking 50,000 IU of vitamin A. I should have started with 25,000 iu/day.

Anyone else taking this much vitamin A?

Who said to post your whole face?

You can just take a picture of your cheek or forehead, or block out your eyes with a black rectangle, or countless of other methods for privacy.

This is exactly what bugs me, there is never any evidence provided from posters like yourself.

Who here would be foolish to take that high of an amount of Vit. A based purely off your experience without any evidence?

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 01/05/2010 11:48 am

Day 7 (morning): Last vitamin A pill taken was yesterday with dinner (25,000iu). After my morning shower, my skin appears to be less dry than yesterday. Last night's "new" zits have emerged to become tiny whiteheads(that was quick!). My skin color is back to normal and alot of the red spots that used to show before I had started taking vitamin A have diminished. I actually noticed this by the 3rd day on vitamin A. No headache at all today, which is great. I was starting to get worried about that. Overall I feel great and look pretty clear! I still can't apply bp cream cause it's kinda dry so my face has kind of a shine to it (like it always does).

...now leaving to see the derm....

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 01/05/2010 11:28 pm

Day 7 (night): No pill today. My skin is less dry and less orange but I am starting to break out again :( I'm almost right back where I was the day before I took the first vitamin A pill.

MemberMember
(@deantonio)

Posted : 01/05/2010 11:45 pm

*moderator edit* I cant believe how prematurely you made this thread, you probably have VERY minor acne that comes and goes.

Delete this thread, please.

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 01/06/2010 3:45 am

We've all learned a valuable lesson here this evening.

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 01/06/2010 12:01 pm

Yes, I'll admit it. It was very foolish of me to start taking that high a dosage of vitamin A supplements! I don't have any permanent side affects because I only took it for 5-6 days. Symptoms of vitamin A mega dosing and toxicity were beginning to show by the 4th day, which is why I chose to quite altogether. I now only take a Centrum multivitamin every morning, which has 5,000 iu vitamin A. I am also eating a lot more foods that are high in Vitamin A: sweet potatoes, tomatoes, cantaloupe, carrots...etc.

Well it's been a couple days since I've taken a vit A pill and definitely have acne again I basically look the same as I did the day before I started taking vit A supplements. I've definitely learned my lesson here with this experimentation of vit A supplements. Yes, I enjoyed clear skin for about 4-5 days but I knew it was too good to be true. I WANT CLEAR SKIN SO BAD DAMNIT!! very disappointed right now. Sorry had to vent.

MemberMember
(@adamdolce10)

Posted : 01/06/2010 3:52 pm

When I started eating sweet potatoes I saw improvement!

Sweet potatoes is loaded with vit A.

You don't need pills..

Different vitamins!!

One is beta carotene one isn't

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 01/06/2010 6:25 pm

Danger Will Robinson.

Beware of the quick fix...it will bite your ass in the end.

MemberMember
(@jamesdmay)

Posted : 02/17/2010 9:39 am

A friend of mine took 300,000 IUs of Vitamin A for 12 months two years ago and still takes 100,000 IUs a day now, and probably will continue to. He had Severe acne and now literally never gets any spots, none, nada, he's as clear as a babys bum. He experienced no side effects, apart from dry skin.......

He's also an athlete...., I guess it's different for other people, their tolerance limit to Vit A that is.

He gets his blood tested every 6 months just to check everything is fine, and it is.

He also takes Vitamin D 5,000IU daily which is supposed to increase the amount of IUS of Vit A that will be toxic to you.

Apart from that, he takes nothing else, uses no topicals and washes his face once a day with warm water.

That's him, me? I only have mild acne (hormonal - two to three spots active on a given day now) and would never supplement that high with Vitamin A, but someone with severe acne, should definitely try high dose Vit A, it could and probably will literally change your life.

Note: He wasn't able to get prescribed accutane, as his insurance didnt allow it.

James

MemberMember
(@wantboost)

Posted : 12/21/2018 8:14 pm

On 1/2/2010 at 2:44 AM, LLL3 said:

Carlson is the brand. It says Vitamin A 25,000 IU with pectin?!@#$

Do yourself a favor and just stop whatever you are doing and go out to get yourself these pills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!! and let me know how they work for you

keep in mind they must be taken with vitamin B2 in order for them to work properly. for each 25,000 IU, take 250 mg of B2. I take 50,000 IU vit A and 500mg B2 over the course of a day

Why b2??

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 08/17/2020 6:03 pm

Don't megadose on any fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K). They can build up in your body and lead to toxicity. Vitamin A overdosing in particular can lead to a super long list of side effects including liver problems (which you really don't want) because it's stored in the liver. And pregnant women can damage the fetus with too much vitamin A.

Plus, I have never seen positive research on vitamin A and acne. Accutane (isotretinoin) is a vitamin A derivative, and is not vitamin A as we know it. Vitamin A doesn't do what isotretinoin does.

MemberMember
(@alexander-cleganegmail-com)

Posted : 08/26/2020 6:33 am

On 2/17/2010 at 9:39 AM, JamesdMay said:

A friend of mine took 300,000 IUs of Vitamin A for 12 months two years ago and still takes 100,000 IUs a day now, and probably will continue to. He had Severe acne and now literally never gets any spots, none, nada, he's as clear as a babys bum. He experienced no side effects, apart from dry skin.......

He's also an athlete...., I guess it's different for other people, their tolerance limit to Vit A that is.

He gets his blood tested every 6 months just to check everything is fine, and it is.

He also takes Vitamin D 5,000IU daily which is supposed to increase the amount of IUS of Vit A that will be toxic to you.

Apart from that, he takes nothing else, uses no topicals and washes his face once a day with warm water.

That's him, me? I only have mild acne (hormonal - two to three spots active on a given day now) and would never supplement that high with Vitamin A, but someone with severe acne, should definitely try high dose Vit A, it could and probably will literally change your life.

Note: He wasn't able to get prescribed accutane, as his insurance didnt allow it.

James

go big or go home folks

im starting out here at 100,000 iu and damn the torpedoes

i was on accutane 4 times and it came back every time

36 years old and i cant even take my shirt off for fear of being seen as a freak.ive got a good boy but my chest and arms are covered in spots

MemberMember
(@tellurium)

Posted : 10/01/2020 12:22 pm

I think I'll just start with 8,000 IU