Notifications
Clear all

Zag Enzyme, Lectins, Digestive Tract And Clogged Pores

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/22/2009 7:12 pm

i'm not totally familiar with all the ingredients but it looks like alot of fiber supplementation.

And NAC and Glucosamine. In some of the text I posted above in post #4, glucosamine is mentioned specifically for the lectins in wheat. And I think I saw NAC mentioned in my reading. Also, enzymes that break down proteins.

When I run out of MSM which I don't quite take daily, I'm going to buy these capsules from Cosco with MSM and glucosamine. But I have a giant bottle of MSM.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/23/2009 9:33 am

So now the thing to do is to look into what to do about lectins:

Soaking and sprouting for seeds.

Which protease enzymes?

Lectins in other foods that aren't seeds.

Supplement or consume plenty of raw foods for the enzymes.

Plants usually contain the enzymes needed to break them down and release nutrients and these enzymes are released when conditions are right. With seeds, those conditions are warmth and moisture as in springtime.

In many other foods, enzymes are released when the cells are crushed as in chopping or chewing. But enzymes are destroyed by heat. Which is why the whfoods.org people are always recommending you chop foods small, then let sit for at least 5mins, but longer if possible, before cooking to allow enzyme action to work before they are destroyed. I don't know yet if these are the enzymes that break down lectins, though.

Also, perhaps sourdough breads, pancakes, etc as many say (like westonprice.org) that celiac sufferers (people severly intolerant of gluten) can often eat sourdough bread. Real sourdough, though, not rapid rise yeast bread with sourdough flavoring. Or some bread or pancake method that involves the flour/grains sitting overnight in water and/or something acidic.

MemberMember
(@drizzler)

Posted : 09/23/2009 11:09 am

Here is a list of lectin content of a huge variety of foods:

http://www.owenfoundation.com/Health_Scien...s_in_Foods.html

So... agglutination = thick blood = acne?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/23/2009 3:13 pm

Here is a list of lectin content of a huge variety of foods:

http://www.owenfoundation.com/Health_Scien...s_in_Foods.html

So... agglutination = thick blood = acne?

Not that I know of. Lectins affect hyperkeratinization by inhibiting the ZAG enzyme. Which is the topic of this thread.

MemberMember
(@venam)

Posted : 09/23/2009 8:02 pm

Remember that apart from that is the insulin spikes that trigger IGF-1, even if it does not have the lectins.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/24/2009 12:07 pm

Remember that apart from that is the insulin spikes that trigger IGF-1, even if it does not have the lectins.

Yes, we all know that, but glycemic impact is not the topic of discussion here.

Besides, the topic is also not grains. I don't know what the fixation on that is. The concern is with is ALL seeds, especially legumes, nuts and seeds, which nearly all have a low GI.

And some other foods besides those as one of the articles names nightshades as a culprit. And foods from grain fed animals, dairy especially.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/27/2009 5:14 pm

Blog article by a doctor. Names wheat and soy as having the most damaging lectins:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008...ns-part-ii.html

MemberMember
(@tigermike)

Posted : 09/30/2009 2:07 pm

Blog article by a doctor. Names wheat and soy as having the most damaging lectins:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008...ns-part-ii.html

Coincidentally, Soy and Wheat are two of the biggest crops in the US.

I'm almost positive that they are a subsidized crop as well. Which is why they're grown by so many farmers.

That's why we see so much Soy and Wheat "product" in these packaged frakenfoods on the supermarket shelves.

The only crop bigger? Corn! And we know that's in everything too. HFCS anybody?

So the two things with the most damaging lectins are running rampant through our food system. No wonder people are unhealthy. Sucks.

Why can't we subsidize fruits and veggies and pastured beef?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/30/2009 5:07 pm

Why can't we subsidize fruits and veggies and pastured beef?

Yes. And apparently in France, they subsidize quality as opposed to quantity like here. I don't know any more about that. It's just something the 'French Women Don't Get Fat' author said.

MemberMember
(@venam)

Posted : 09/30/2009 6:21 pm

Nightshades are listed in with the various seed sources without saying what you can do about them. You don't usually soak or sprout nightshades.

What you can do about nightshades is cooking them. Cooking nightshades reduces the amount of lectins in them. Although they are not truely paleo (they come from the Americas where most of our evolutionary history did not take place in), I eat tomatoes often. Love them too much to give away.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/01/2009 4:12 pm

Nightshades are listed in with the various seed sources without saying what you can do about them. You don't usually soak or sprout nightshades.

What you can do about nightshades is cooking them. Cooking nightshades reduces the amount of lectins in them. Although they are not truely paleo (they come from the Americas where most of our evolutionary history did not take place in), I eat tomatoes often. Love them too much to give away.

Yeah cooking reduces some. Also, crushing cells gets enzymes working. Which is why the whfoods.org guy is always saying to chop things and let them sit for at least 5 minutes, but longer is better, to let the enzymes work before you kill them in cooking. Although I have no idea if these are the enzyme that break down lectins. The whfoods.org guy recommends this for the nutrients.

And the trouble with this for me is that I hate cooked peppers, and only recently discovered how delicious raw red peppers are. My favorite snack is red pepper 'chips' dipped in hummus. But since they should be organic and are expensive enough conventionally grown much less organic I don't have them much. I tried to grow some but this summer was just too hot. I'm trying again now for the fall.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 11/11/2009 10:43 pm

Do potatoes and rice contain lectins?

Also, aren't most beans soaked enough and cooked so that they do not have active lectins?

MemberMember
(@venam)

Posted : 11/11/2009 11:40 pm

Do potatoes and rice contain lectins?

Also, aren't most beans soaked enough and cooked so that they do not have active lectins?

Rice yes, for sure. BUT, there are fewer lectins in rice compared to, say, wheat. It is also gluten free. One interesting thing, the hunter-gatherers that adopted agriculture thousands of years ago all declined in health, except those that were already unhealthy (lived in marginal places, couldn't get enough food) OR those that adopted rice as their main crop. Read more about it:

There are some apparent exceptions to the trend of declining health with the adoption of intensive agriculture. In my observation, they fall into two general categories. In the first, health improves upon the transition to agriculture because the hunter-gatherer population was unhealthy to begin with. This is due to living in a marginal environment or eating a diet with a high proportion of wild plant seeds. In the second category, the culture adopted rice. Rice is associated with less of a decline in health, and in some cases an increase in overall health, than other grains such as wheat and corn. In chapter 21 of the book Ancient Health: Bioarchaeological Interpretations of the Human Past, Drs. Michelle T Douglas and Michael Pietrusewsky state that "rice appears to be less cariogenic [cavity-promoting] than other grains such as maize [corn].

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009...origins-of.html

About potatoes, white potato is a nightshade (yep) so it is loaded with lectins. I remember reading something else about white potatoe that it has another compound which is really bad, can't remember so just dismiss that.

Other tubers (sweet potatoes, taro, yams) are not nightshades. BUT, lectins are in most plant foods, just in different amounts. I would not think that these other tubers have too many lectins. Compare white potatoes to sweet potatoes in this site.

As for beans, most bean dishes you buy are not soaked at all. Soaking will only happen if you cook them yourself and soak them. Soaking and cooking take away enough lectins to make it edible, but they still have plenty afterward.

Sprouting is better than soaking, but you cannot use them interchangeably. WHF has instructions on soaking, you should soak your rice as well btw.

Hope that helps.

MemberMember
(@tigermike)

Posted : 11/12/2009 1:52 am

About potatoes, white potato is a nightshade (yep) so it is loaded with lectins. I remember reading something else about white potatoe that it has another compound which is really bad, can't remember so just dismiss that.

When potatoes are fried (french fries, chips) there is something called acrylamide which is cancer-causing. And of course there's always that sneaky trans fat.

Is that what you were thinking of?

MemberMember
(@drizzler)

Posted : 11/12/2009 11:39 am

When potatoes are fried (french fries, chips) there is something called acrylamide which is cancer-causing. And of course there's always that sneaky trans fat.

Or perhaps the toxic solanine found in all species in the family Solanaceae (AKA nightshades). Any green parts on a potato are toxic. And eggplant has a lot of it too. I've wondered if tomatoes that are picked green and artificially ripened are an issue in that regard as well...

MemberMember
(@venam)

Posted : 11/12/2009 1:30 pm

No, is a component of white potatoes that is not dependent on cooking method.

I actually remember now, potatoes contain lectins AND glycoalkaloids. As you can read here most nightshades have them, so sweet potatoes, yams, and other tubers won't contain glycoalkaloids.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/12/2009 4:02 pm

Soaking and cooking take away enough lectins to make it edible, but they still have plenty afterward.

You need to drain the soaking liquid and rinse as well. The instructions I've found for soaking nuts and seeds tells you to drain and rinse several times during the soaking time.

Also, some beans have more than others. One of the sources I linked to in my first few posts named soy and kidney beans as among the worst. And broad beans, not so much. Broad beans include about a 100 varieties of lima bean. And if you soak and cook them yourself with a lot of garlic, they are delicious. Nothing like those nasty things you were served in your school cafeteria or by your parents. I've been eating giant Peruvian lima beans which are really good and so much faster to sort through for bad beans or pebbles because they such big white beans.

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 11/13/2009 1:27 pm

"As for beans, most bean dishes you buy are not soaked at all. Soaking will only happen if you cook them yourself and soak them. Soaking and cooking take away enough lectins to make it edible, but they still have plenty afterward."

What about beans in a can which are soaking in water, and then cooked and put in chili which is reheated?

Don't you think that would be enough to dramatically lower the lectin content?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/13/2009 3:34 pm

What about beans in a can which are soaking in water, and then cooked and put in chili which is reheated?

Don't you think that would be enough to dramatically lower the lectin content?

No, canned beans are cooked, probably in a pressure cooker. They need to be soaked raw and at a temperature that doesn't destroy the necessary enzymes.

MemberMember
(@drizzler)

Posted : 11/16/2009 11:31 am

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

I now see that you posted that already, so nm.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/31/2009 12:10 pm

Dr. Oz, who is from Turkey, keeps mentioning that when he was growing up his parents gave him soaked nuts like walnuts and almonds for snacks. So apparently it has been the tradition there.

MemberMember
(@venam)

Posted : 01/20/2010 4:23 pm

Just to add to the discussion:

Fermentation is the best way to remove lectins from rice (and many other grains), but for those that want to eat rice whole (without grinding) there is a simple way that uses fermentation without changing the texture:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009...brown-rice.html

MemberMember
(@rentstuff)

Posted : 01/24/2010 5:46 pm

THIS HAS TO BE part OF THE TOP 5 threads of all time in acne.org

AMAZING THREAD!

Have you tried N-A-G to try the theory? I only wish Cordain's ZAG was available in supps lol

MemberMember
(@acne_combat)

Posted : 01/25/2010 10:28 am

THIS HAS TO BE part OF THE TOP 5 threads of all time in acne.org

AMAZING THREAD!

Have you tried N-A-G to try the theory? I only wish Cordain's ZAG was available in supps lol

I agree!

Did anybody try anything related to this theory with results? Alernativista?

Avoiding all the lectins-containing food is just a like a slightly modified candida-diet... Eggs seem to be listed too, but they are essential when you don't have carbs, or should they be cut out too?

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 01/25/2010 1:48 pm

This is really interesting because I had done a lot of research on the process that causes pimples, and the one missing piece I couldn't find was the enzyme that causes the skin to shed. The furthest I could get was finding that in acne, that enzyme that releases the dead skin cell isn't working properly, but they didn't know which enzyme it was at that time, and they didn't know why it wasn't working as it should. So this is great information.

This also addresses perhaps why the ViraStop has been working. Lectins are a protein, and ViraStop dissolves protein, thereby removing it and not allowing it to inhibit that shedding enzyme process. This also explains why the flakiness on my face has been going down as well since I started taking it.

The one question I had was, western countries are not the only societies that consume lectins. However, lectins bind to carbohydrates, something that the western society is far and above more than bountiful in. We have plenty of carbohydrates for lectins to bind to. I also understand that fermentation is something much more common in developing countries than in western societies, so that addresses that as well. So generally, western societies consume far more lectins, AND far more carbohydrates on average. It's a rather nasty combination I guess.

It's definitely something to think about, and I am grateful for this missing piece of the puzzle, I've been waiting a few years to find it.