Notifications
Clear all

Maca powder

MemberMember
(@mitchm)

Posted : 09/13/2009 9:25 pm

Hey, Everyone.

I'm trying my hardest to find some definite facts about maca powder, but I'm coming up blank.

Most sites advertise maca as a performance enhancer to increase libido, but also mention that it can heal acne due to it's natural hormonal balancing effect. I'm really confused because they also say it increases testosterone, and from what I've read, high testosterone levels can actually lead to further breakout! Every site on this topic contradicts itself or another, and I'm a little fed up. Are there any young males out there who've had experience with maca and acne? I'd be more than thankful for any response!

MemberMember
(@mr-crab)

Posted : 09/14/2009 10:28 am

I may be trying some of that stuff out when I start training again. Have you heard of Resveratrol? This stuff also increases testosterone, but has been known to help acne significantly. I don't think testosterone plays the biggest role in acne anyway.

EDIT: Here's a link to an older thread on Maca Powder. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Maca-side...ts-t183156.html

Apparently most people had cystic breakouts..

MemberMember
(@mitchm)

Posted : 09/14/2009 8:21 pm

I may be trying some of that stuff out when I start training again. Have you heard of Resveratrol? This stuff also increases testosterone, but has been known to help acne significantly. I don't think testosterone plays the biggest role in acne anyway.

EDIT: Here's a link to an older thread on Maca Powder.

Apparently most people had cystic breakouts..

Thanks for the response! I actually emailed a site advertising maca powder and expressed my concerns, and was give this response:

"Here is an article that shows how our MacaActive works:

"MacaActive nutrients help restore natural hormones. Unlike hormone drugs,

which are basically resumed in taking hormones artificially, MacaActive acts

totally different in your body. It stimulates your own natural hormone

production, by inducing the optimal functioning of the pituitary and

endocrine glands", says Dr. Chacon (Nature & Health magazine). Rather than

taking drugs to supply hormones into your body, MacaActive (which is a root

tuber) acts naturally nourishing your glands with natural elements inducing

proper production of your own hormones. Dr. Chacon's discoveries of the

pituitary stimulating effects of MacaActive are enormous."

This answer seems reputable, and it's eased a lot of my concern, so I will be introducing myself to it slowly, and updating this post with my results. I did already see the older post and a few videos by the same person, but I believe the effect in myself will be without the same side effects simply because I'm going to introduce it slowly, and I'm a young male, not an adult woman who's symptom's relate mostly to PMT.

MemberMember
(@mr-crab)

Posted : 09/14/2009 8:52 pm

Ah. I definitely would introduce it slowly to your system anyway. It would be nice to hear how it goes if/when you start taking it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/14/2009 9:37 pm

Testosterone when converted to DHT triggers oily skin, which doesn't necessarily lead to acne. Resveratrol purportedly helps prevent hyperkeratinization and/or hyperproliferation which is what causes clogged pores and is the real root of acne and other clogged pore related conditions like keratosis pilaris.

MemberMember
(@youngsean)

Posted : 07/15/2014 3:22 pm

this is pretty late but I first started taking maca powder because I've heard it has hormone balancing qualities so I took it as I figured my acne was hormonal (jawline, upper neck). at first I took too much and I broke out in some cystic acne so I felt discouraged and stopped taking it. now I tried it again in smaller amounts but I've noticed more whiteheads along my jawline so I'm thinking maca isn't for me. you can hear countless reviews and stories but unless you try it out, you won't be able to see if it suits you.

MemberMember
(@jezzabella114)

Posted : 07/16/2014 5:27 am

I am 23 and have NEVER suffered from acne in my life, except for this year when i went off the BCP for health reasons.

I was unsure about Maca, but im game to try anything to get rid of this awfulness.

I bought Maca CAPSULES as i read the raw powder is not good for you (google it). I take 500mg, 4:1 every morning (so its as strong as 2000mg) and must say it helped a little with cystic acne on my chin and has helped regulate my periods too.

Just give it a shot. Start off with a low dose and change it up weekly.. you will know if you have too much as you will become hyper.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/16/2014 10:39 am

I am 23 and have NEVER suffered from acne in my life, except for this year when i went off the BCP for health reasons.

I was unsure about Maca, but im game to try anything to get rid of this awfulness.

I bought Maca CAPSULES as i read the raw powder is not good for you (google it). I take 500mg, 4:1 every morning (so its as strong as 2000mg) and must say it helped a little with cystic acne on my chin and has helped regulate my periods too.

Just give it a shot. Start off with a low dose and change it up weekly.. you will know if you have too much as you will become hyper.

There's a powdered gelatinized version that's supposed to be more digestible. Much of the starch is removed. I think I will try Maca. Perimenopause seems to be starting. I had a far longer and heavier period than I've ever had last month. This month i took chasteberry vitex plus, for the last few days prior, some DIM capsules I had on hand, as I do not wish to hemorrhage gallons of blood. I seem to have had a normal period this month. Chasteberry also improves pituitary function and thus everything else about your hormones.