Notifications
Clear all

Really super nutrient dense recipes and ideas

MemberMember
(@vinchenzo)

Posted : 03/18/2011 1:15 am

I'm not sure if this really counts as nutrient dense, but it's pretty tasty, healthy and fast for those of us who are lazy or short on time:

Instant Almond Bread (gluten, dairy, soy, grain and sugar free)

2 eggs

3/4 cups of water

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp sea salt

about 2 cups of blanched almond flour

Just beat it all in a bowl until it forms a batter or extremely thick paste.

Pour it out into a rectangular microwave safe dish. Microwave it for 3.5-6 minutes depending on your microwave and batter consistency. (I nuked it for about 5 minutes)

It'll actually rise up and make a pretty thick, tasty "bread." The texture is soft though mildly grainy - not too far off from a hearty whole grain bread. It is a little more moist than traditional breads.

I made this and my dad even liked it - which says A LOT. There has never been a healthy food he has ever liked. You could also add other nutrient things to it, making it more nutrient dense and flavored, like garlic, herbs, fruit, or walnuts. I'm sure they'd make some pretty nifty muffins, too. I'm still trying to figure out how to make bread or muffins in the oven.

I ate a slice with mashed avocado smeared onto it.

*you may need more or less flour depending on the brand and your preferences. I used Bob's Red Mill - it's all the grocery stores around here carry. Keep it wrapped and refrigerated to keep it fresher longer.

Have you tried this with a different kind of flour?

I was thinking of using some coconut flour.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/18/2011 10:51 am

Have you tried this with a different kind of flour?

I was thinking of using some coconut flour.

There are coconut flour bread, pancake and muffin recipes in the Better Breads thread where I wish this recipe had been posted and in the Coconut thread. Gmaria doesn't like coconut flour so I doubt she has tried it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/22/2011 5:14 pm

Spice blend/meat or fish rub from a recent episode of Dr.Oz on alternative health with Dr. Andrew Weil and Dr. Deepak Chopra.

Special Triple-Threat Seasoning

Create a special seasoning usingnatural anti-inflammatory and memory-boosting spices that all have special protective properties against Alzheimers disease:

• 1 part turmeric

• 2 parts sage

• 3 parts ginger

• A sprinkling of black pepper

And you all want to be getting your tumeric.

MemberMember
(@tree23)

Posted : 10/20/2011 12:34 pm

Curried carrot soup from realage.com

Because of the sulfur, carotenes and phyto-nutrients in the onions, curry powder, carrots. Use a better oil. Drizzle servings with olive oil before eating to add healthy fat. A dollop of your live cultured organic yogurt if you can tolerate it, would be good. It always goes well with curried things. And get yourself a stick immersion blender to puree soups in the pot.

Ingredients

* 3 tablespoon(s) canola oil

* 2 teaspoon(s) curry powder

* 8 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced

* 4 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced

* 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped

* 5 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth

* 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice

* 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt

* Freshly ground pepper , to taste

Directions

1. Cook oil and curry powder in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in carrots, celery and onion; toss to coat in oil. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand 10 minutes. Lay a paper towel over the surface of the soup to blot away the oil that has risen to the top. Discard the paper towel.

2. Working in batches of no more than 2 cups at a time, transfer the soup to a blender and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Return the pureed soup to the pan, place over medium heat and heat through. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.

MemberMember
(@supermachii)

Posted : 10/20/2011 12:57 pm

alternavista, can i hire you as a cook? I'll give you 60 an hour, but u gotta buy the groceries.. lmao.

MemberMember
(@tree23)

Posted : 10/21/2011 2:39 pm

alternavista, can i hire you as a cook? I'll give you 60 an hour, but u gotta buy the groceries.. lmao.

I read this and thought "I wish this was facebook... I want to press like for this post!!!" and then I saw these forums do have a like button lol. Guess I've been outta the loop.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/08/2011 11:07 am

This is from weight watchers, but it's basically how I do it. Except I never buy the broth. Most of the time I use a ton of aromatics and water. But whenever I have a lot of veggie scraps, such as after making a soup like this, or when I cook leeks and have all the tough greens, I boil them with some garlic to make broth and freeze it. And I usually go Mexican with this and add a squeeze of lime. And cilantro and avocado if I have them. And tomatoes and Mexican squash. I always have limes. go nuts with the veggies.

Weight Watchers Garden Vegetable Soup

ZeroPointsVegeSoup_0.jpg

Added to Recipes on Thu 11/03/2011

Ingredients140x65-SB-WW-Logo2.jpg

Makes 6 servings

1/2 cup carrots, sliced

1/4 cup onions, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

3 cups fat-free beef, chicken or vegetable broth

1 cup green cabbage, diced

1 cup spinach, chopped

1 tbsp tomato paste

1/2 tsp dried basil

1/4 tsp dried oregano

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup zucchini, diced

Directions

Spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray, and heat.

Place carrot, onion and garlic in saucepan. Saut© vegetables over low heat for 5 minutes, until softened.

Add broth, cabbage, spinach, tomato paste, basil, oregano and salt. Bring saucepan to a boil.

Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in zucchini, and cook 3-4 minutes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/13/2012 4:23 pm

One Pan Lemon Chicken

Add sweet potatoes or replace some of the carrots with them. And I'd like to add something like Kale to this, but I don't think you want to bake it for 40 minutes. Perhaps if you use a cast iron or steel skillet that can go into the oven, you could quickly saute the kale in the lemony, garlicky drippings after you remove everything else. I'd reserve a lemon to squeeze onto things after they are cooked as well.

Shopping List

• 1 lemon, preferably organic

• 1 head garlic

• 1 bunch oregano

• 1 large onion

• 2 stalks celery

• 5 large carrots

• 8 chicken thighs with bone and skin

Pantry Items

• Black pepper

• Extra-virgin olive oil

• Sea salt or kosher salt

Tools

•  

Suggestions

• Wine: Sauvignon Blanc

• Dessert: Lemon mousse

Game Plan:

• When you walk in the door

• Dont refrigerate the chicken

• Preheat the oven to 425F

• Get out Pantry Items

• Get out Tools

• Assemble the ingredients

• Open the wine and refrigerate

[*]Prep

[*]Wash and pat dry the chicken pieces, and place them in the roasting pan.

[*]Smash 10 cloves of garlic and remove the skins. Sprinkle them amongst the pieces of chicken in the roasting pan.

[*]Rinse and trim the carrots and celery. Cut into 1 inch pieces. Transfer them to the roasting pan.

[*]Trim and cut the onion into 6 pieces. Transfer them to the roasting pan.

[*]Separate the leaves from about 6 stems of the oregano and give them a rough chop. Transfer them to the roasting pan.

[*]Cut the lemon into 6 pieces and transfer to the roasting pan. Squeeze 1 or 2 wedges over the chicken & vegetables.

[*]Drizzle cup olive oil and salt and pepper over the chicken and vegetables and toss to coat.

[*]Start Cooking

[*]Roast the chicken and vegetables 40 minutes, turning the meat and vegetables halfway through the cooking process.

[*]When ready, transfer everything to a serving platter (or serve from the roasting pan) and take it to the table. Garnish with any additional fresh oregano

This is from Notakeout. there was something in the hyperlink to the recipe that isn't allowed here so I can't post it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/15/2012 9:17 am

Make with sweet potatoes instead and this is a nutrient dense and fairly hypo-allergenic meal. Also, add more chard and/or chop the stems and saute with the other ingredients in the filling.

From whole Foods -

Recipe:

Lamb and Potato Dolma

3216_lamb_chard_dolma.jpg

Serves 6 to 8

Ground lamb, potatoes, dried currants and fresh oregano rolled in tender chard leaves create a modern twist on stuffed grape leaves. Make ahead and gently reheat in a large covered skillet with a few tablespoons of water in the bottom; try serving them with plain Greek yogurt for dipping and a few lemon wedges.

Ingredients

1 pound ground lamb

1 yellow onion, chopped

1 teaspoon fine sea salt

1/2 cup dried currants

1 tablespoon chopped oregano

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 large red potato (about 3/4 pound), peeled and chopped

2 bunches chard, thick stems trimmed

Method

Brown lamb in a large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully tip the skillet to pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of the fat that has accumulated in the pan. Return to heat, add onion and salt and cook until onions are soft and golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes more. Lower heat to medium and stir in currants, oregano, garlic, potatoes and 3 tablespoons water. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes more. Remove from heat and mash potato into lamb mixture with a fork. Set aside.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Working in batches, add chard leaves a few at a time, stirring gently until wilted and just tender, about 30 seconds. Carefully transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet and pat dry. Spoon some of the lamb mixture into the center of each chard leaf and roll up snugly, tucking in the ends. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/15/2012 9:36 am

Roasted beets and greens

Recipe courtesy of Whole Living magazine

Ingredients

• 1 bunch beets with greens (about 2 to 3 pounds), greens separated and chopped (about 8 cups greens)

• Coarse salt and ground pepper

• 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard

• 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar

• 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

• 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Loosely wrap beets in parchment-lined foil. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until easily pierced with a knife, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly; remove skins. Slice beets. Set aside.

2. Meanwhile, whisk mustard and vinegar in a bowl. Gradually whisk in 6 tablespoons olive oil until emulsified. Season to taste; set aside.

4. In a large skillet, heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beet greens, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted and tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove greens from heat. Add reserved sliced beets and half of vinaigrette, and toss to combine.

Note the other half the vinaigrette in this recipe is to go over a roasted pork loin..

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 03/16/2012 12:32 am

^I have been loving beets lately. Ever since I made borscht with meatballs and the recipe required beets. Mmmmm.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/13/2012 8:14 am

Recipe: Recipe: Sesame-Crusted Sardine, Fennel and Sweet Potato Cakes

Diet type: Pescatarian, Gluten-free

Diet tags: Gluten free

Number of servings (yield): 8 (~ eight patties)

Ingredients

• 230g sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small cubes

• 210g tinned sardines (oil drained away- or give the oil to your cat!)

• 1 stick of celery, washed, leaves cut off

• 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed

• 1 tbsp. parlsey, finely chopped

• 1 tbsp. fennel bulb, minced

• (optional) 1/2 fresh red chilli, sliced (seeds discarded)

• salt and pepper to taste

• 1 egg, beaten

• sesame seeds (around a cup or so)

• coconut oil

Instructions

• Peel the sweet potato, chop it into small cubes and then steam or boil them until they are very soft. Then using the back of a fork or a potato masher, mash the sweet potato until it is very soft and smooth.

• Take the sardines out of the tins and drain the oil away. Add the sardines to a bowl and mash them until you have an almost paste-like mixture.

• Crush the garlic clove(s), chop the celery stick into very small pieces, chop the parsley and the tbsp. of fennel bulb and chilli. Mix these into the mashed sardine mixture. 4. Season with salt and pepper.Now mix in the mashed sweet potato and egg.

• Using your hands, form about 1 tablespoon worth of the mixture into a ball and then flatten it.

• Pour some sesame seeds into a bowl and dip the sardine cakes into the sesame seeds covering the whole of the cake with sesame seeds. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.

• Melt some coconut oil in a pan and cook the sardine cakes in the coconut oil on medium-low heat until they are lightly browned, firm and cooked through.

My Notes: I think this came from Delicious Living magazine. And I'd skip the fennel bulb. They are kind of expensive and you use so little. And use whatever fish you want.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/26/2013 3:32 pm

Split Pea and Coconut Soup - filled with high antioxident spices. And as I always say, add some chopped greens to wilt at the end of cooking. And I'd use dried coconut. See the dried coconut/coconut flour thread:

• 2 cups green or yellow split peas, rinsed and soaked in cold water 2 to 3 hours
  • 1 -- (14-ounce) can light unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 1/4 cup finely sliced cilantro stems
  • 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
  • 3/4 cup diced celery
  • 2 large carrots, chopped
  • 2 cups chopped red potato, unpeeled
  • 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
  • 1 to 2 -- limes, cut into wedges
  • Drain peas, place in a large saucepan and add 4 cups cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Peas should be whole, but tender.
  • Read more: http://relish.com/recipes/split-pea-coconut-stew/#ixzz2OgBIfwf2
  • Combine coconut milk, onion, ginger, cilantro stems, curry paste and celery in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes; simmer until potatoes are almost tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add peas, fish sauce and salt. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/27/2014 11:19 am

Bumping some threads so they don't get archived. I don't understand why this happens. I've seen far older threads of very little value still active.

See also,

Coconut flour/dried coconut recipe thread: