Cooking for Newbies

MemberMember
(@joris)

Posted : 08/02/2010 12:08 pm

ok thanks , im gonna try that tommorow.

MemberMember
(@sarahyoung75)

Posted : 04/19/2012 2:37 am

Seafood is one of the best foods in the world. You need to cook the fish until it is flaky but still firm. Cook Shrimp until it changes to a pinkish color and crab or lobster based on the size and cooking style. Follow the good recipe book. In general rule cook fish 10 minutes per inch thickness, turning it halfway through the cooking process. Avoid over cooking any seafood as it become tough and very bland.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/19/2012 8:52 am

Seafood is one of the best foods in the world. You need to cook the fish until it is flaky but still firm. Cook Shrimp until it changes to a pinkish color and crab or lobster based on the size and cooking style. Follow the good recipe book. In general rule cook fish 10 minutes per inch thickness, turning it halfway through the cooking process. Avoid over cooking any seafood as it become tough and very bland.

Except that many shrimp/prawn, possibly most, are pink when raw so the pink tip won't help. Gulf white are the only that I know of that are grey until cooked. It's when they start to curl into a C, but before the curl all the way up at which point they are over cooked.

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 05/03/2013 9:35 am

Buy veggies frozen and just pour some out of a bag whenever you need them all chopped and ready to go. Frozen veggies are cheap and often on sale.

Frozen is better than the 'fresh' produce at the typical supermarket because those foods are picked under ripe, stored and trucked all over the country possibly after being shipped from around the world. They claim frozen foods are picked at their peak of ripeness and frozen promptly.

Frozen is also handy because you can keep things on hand ready to cook whenever you have the time. You may also be able to get organic things much cheaper than fresh.

Of course, by fresh whatever you prefer fresh and can get eaten before it spoils. I personally, am only able to juggle so many perishable foods. I'm getting better at it though. And some things last longer than others of course. Like apples, sweet potatoes, usually hard things.

They have blends of frozen veggies chopped up and ready for soup, grilling/broiling, or the basis of recipes like the 'cajun trinity' of bell pepper, onion and celery or the 'French trinity' of onion, carrot and celery. I highly recommend keeping bags of frozen chopped greens on hand to add to soups, pasta sauce, cooked legumes, stir fry, curry, etc.

Get bags, not boxes, so it's easier to use just what you need. Plus it helps you tell if it's ever been defrosted and refrozen. Everything inside the bag should be loose.

Bagged frozen vegetables are better than fresh? That's actually a first for me! Do you mean things like corn, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, carrots, etc... are all better for you than the freshly grown versions? What if you were able to get your hands on fresh produce all the time (because I live in between farmed land), should you substitute some of what you have for frozen vegetables instead? Is that better for people with acne or is this just a tip for those who live in rural areas or cities?

Also, if I were to get the frozen vegetables, would boiling them in a soup also be ok or would the nutrients be lost forever?... because that's what I do when I have frozen cauliflower and carrots. I put them in a pot of soup and have vegetable soup and broth with freshly cut celery and some overnight soaked/rinsed bagged beans/lectins.

I buy fresh beets, green leaf/red leaf lettuce, fruits, onions, and garlic every week or two weeks and it's not hard, expensive or time consuming to wash and eat them. Is doing this somehow not better (or the same) than consuming frozen vegetables?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/03/2013 11:46 am

Buy veggies frozen and just pour some out of a bag whenever you need them all chopped and ready to go. Frozen veggies are cheap and often on sale.

Frozen is better than the 'fresh' produce at the typical supermarket because those foods are picked under ripe, stored and trucked all over the country possibly after being shipped from around the world. They claim frozen foods are picked at their peak of ripeness and frozen promptly.

Frozen is also handy because you can keep things on hand ready to cook whenever you have the time. You may also be able to get organic things much cheaper than fresh.

Of course, by fresh whatever you prefer fresh and can get eaten before it spoils. I personally, am only able to juggle so many perishable foods. I'm getting better at it though. And some things last longer than others of course. Like apples, sweet potatoes, usually hard things.

They have blends of frozen veggies chopped up and ready for soup, grilling/broiling, or the basis of recipes like the 'cajun trinity' of bell pepper, onion and celery or the 'French trinity' of onion, carrot and celery. I highly recommend keeping bags of frozen chopped greens on hand to add to soups, pasta sauce, cooked legumes, stir fry, curry, etc.

Get bags, not boxes, so it's easier to use just what you need. Plus it helps you tell if it's ever been defrosted and refrozen. Everything inside the bag should be loose.

Bagged frozen vegetables are better than fresh? That's actually a first for me! Do you mean things like corn, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, carrots, etc... are all better for you than the freshly grown versions? What if you were able to get your hands on fresh produce all the time (because I live in between farmed land), should you substitute some of what you have for frozen vegetables instead? Is that better for people with acne or is this just a tip for those who live in rural areas or cities?

Also, if I were to get the frozen vegetables, would boiling them in a soup also be ok or would the nutrients be lost forever?... because that's what I do when I have frozen cauliflower and carrots. I put them in a pot of soup and have vegetable soup and broth with freshly cut celery and some overnight soaked/rinsed bagged beans/lectins.

I buy fresh beets, green leaf/red leaf lettuce, fruits, onions, and garlic every week or two weeks and it's not hard, expensive or time consuming to wash and eat them. Is doing this somehow not better (or the same) than consuming frozen vegetables?

Frozen is better than what is sold as fresh in the average American supermarket where it was trucked from thousands of miles away, stored at various places, sat in the supermarket, and then your home for a while before you consume.

It is not better than picked fresh from your garden and likely not better than food from a farmer's market where it was likely harvested that morning or the day before.

Commercially frozen foods are usually frozen very promptly within the same day they were picked. And they also claim to harvest at their peak rather than underripe the way most supermarket 'fresh' items are.

Boiling in a soup is ok. Try not to over cook as some nutrients are destroyed in cooking. C for example. When the colors begin to dull, nutrients have been destroyed. Although that won't help much in the case of cauliflower.

Another good tip, with all the sulfur containing veggies at least, is to chop and let sit for 5 - 15 minutes before you cook them. The chopping releases enzymes in the food (mimicking chewing) and lets them get to work making many nutrients more available, before you destroy the enzymes in cooking. And ideally, you eat a certain amount of raw fruits and veggies. Sulfur containing veggies are your onion and garlic family and your brassica family and many greens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is supposedly easy. You don't have to make the rice. As I always say, add greens at the end of cooking. They're good and good for you, as my father always said. And pretty. OR you could serve the soup over greens.

Moqueca Brazilian Fish Stew Recipe

Traditional moqueca uses palm oil. If you can find it (I checked three stores here and was not able to locate any) add just a tablespoon to the stew along with the coconut milk.

Add to shopping list

Ingredients

Soup

• 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of fillets of firm white fish such as halibut, or cod, rinsed in cold water, pin bones removed, cut into large portions
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped spring onion, or 1 medium yellow onion, chopped or sliced
  • 1/4 cup green onion greens, chopped
  • 1/2 yellow and 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, de-stemmed, chopped (or sliced)
  • 2 cups chopped (or sliced) tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp paprika (Hungarian sweet)
  • Pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1 large bunch of cilantro, chopped with some set aside for garnish
  • 1 14-ounce can coconut milk

Rice

• 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup white rice
  • 1 3/4 cups boiling water (check your rice package for the appropriate ratio of liquid to rice for the type of rice you are using)
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Method

1 Place fish pieces in a bowl, add the minced garlic and lime juice so that the pieces are well coated. Sprinkle generously all over with salt and pepper. Keep chilled while preparing the rest of the soup.

2 If you are planning on serving the soup with rice, start on the rice. Bring a couple cups of water to a boil. Heat one Tbsp of olive oil in a medium saucepan on medium high heat. Add the chopped 1/2 onion and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more, until the garlic is fragrant. Add the raw white rice and stir to coat completely with the oil, onions, and garlic. Add the boiling water. (The amount depends on your brand of rice, check the package. If no amounts are given, add 1 3/4 cup of water for every cup of rice.) Stir in 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes, after which, remove from heat until ready to serve with the soup.

moqueca-fish-stew-1.jpg?ea6e46moqueca-fish-stew-2.jpg?ea6e46

3 Back to the soup. In a large covered pan (such as a Dutch oven), coat the bottom with about 2 Tbsp of olive oil and heat on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook a few minutes until softened. Add the bell pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. (At least a teaspoon of salt.) Cook for a few minutes longer, until the bell pepper begins to soften. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and onion greens. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, uncovered. Stir in the chopped cilantro.

moqueca-fish-stew-3.jpg?ea6e46moqueca-fish-stew-4.jpg?ea6e46

3 Use a large spoon to remove about half of the vegetables (you'll put them right back in). Spread the remaining vegetables over the bottom of the pan to create a bed for the fish. Arrange the fish pieces on the vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then add back the previously removed vegetables, covering the fish. Pour coconut milk over the fish and vegetables.

moqueca-fish-stew-5.jpg?ea6e46moqueca-fish-stew-6.jpg?ea6e46

4 Bring soup to a simmer, reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. You may need to add more salt (likely), lime or lemon juice, paprika, pepper, or chili flakes to get the soup to the desired seasoning for your taste.

Garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice or with crusty bread.

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 05/03/2013 12:40 pm

^ If I take away the night shades I think I'll give it a try. I understand they have color and flavor but they aggravate my psoriasis. I like fish plain and just the way it is. And I never ate rice before until now. I have a little brown rice every week, so a recipe with it sounds interesting.

But you DO grow your own spinach, right? What else do you grow? Mostly leafy vegetables?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/04/2013 8:42 am

^ If I take away the night shades I think I'll give it a try. I understand they have color and flavor but they aggravate my psoriasis. I like fish plain and just the way it is. And I never ate rice before until now. I have a little brown rice every week, so a recipe with it sounds interesting.

But you DO grow your own spinach, right? What else do you grow? Mostly leafy vegetables?

I didn't grow spinach, but kale, chard, and cabbage for the winter. And leeks, onions, strawberries and peas. I have mostly night shades plus cucumber and sweet potatoes for the summer, although I've been contemplating avoiding nightshades completely for a while. Bu those are the best summer crops here. Oh, and okra. I have a couple of okra plants, and when it gets too hot for tomatoes, ill start some dried beans that I've been given that will supposedly produce until frost in Nov/Dec.

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 05/04/2013 8:49 am

I didn't grow spinach, but kale, chard, and cabbage for the winter. And leeks, onions, strawberries and peas. I have mostly night shades plus cucumber and sweet potatoes for the summer, although I've been contemplating avoiding nightshades completely for a while. Bu those are the best summer crops here. Oh, and okra. I have a couple of okra plants, and when it gets too hot for tomatoes, ill start some dried beans that I've been given that will supposedly produce until frost in Nov/Dec.

Safe to assume it's all organic too, right? :)

I don't think it's a good idea to avoid nightshades just because they're know to aggravate certain skin problems in some people such as myself, but everyone should be aware that they are still quite "new" to the human diet, introduced only a few thousand years ago I believe. Taking a break from any kind of food is actually beneficial, don't you think? After all, having fruit year round for example and not season round like our bodies have adapted to over hundreds of thousands of years may also play a role in our health and our skin. That's just a theory though.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/04/2013 9:05 pm

Safe to assume it's all organic too, right? :)

I don't think it's a good idea to avoid nightshades just because they're know to aggravate certain skin problems in some people such as myself, but everyone should be aware that they are still quite "new" to the human diet, introduced only a few thousand years ago I believe. Taking a break from any kind of food is actually beneficial, don't you think? After all, having fruit year round for example and not season round like our bodies have adapted to over hundreds of thousands of years may also play a role in our health and our skin. That's just a theory though.

I'm think I'm prone to sore muscles and other aches. I want to see if avoiding nightshades helps. And yes, my garden is organic.

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 05/04/2013 9:29 pm

Safe to assume it's all organic too, right? smile.png

I'm think I'm prone to sore muscles and other aches. I want to see if avoiding nightshades helps. And yes, my garden is organic.

I wish you good luck with that then! And I might start my own organic garden as well this summer. Not sure yet...

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/06/2013 7:33 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/08/dining/shakshuka-a-rich-egg-dish-that-satisfies.html?_r=0

Shashluka, an Israeli baked egg dish that can be served at any meal. Add spinach or other green, as I always say.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/23/2013 7:22 am

Bump.

And see also the Food and recipe Index for links to more.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/25/2013 2:06 pm

poha is a really simple dish for newbies.

its one of the dishes i made initially(i was then in school)

here's a recipe,see if u like it.

add carrots,peas and some sprouts(boiled) and beans. omit potato or lessen the amount.

my mum loves anything sweet.so for her at times i add a lil' jaggery but otherwise its just as good without any sugar/sweetener.

for salt,instead of normal salt,u can use black salt(indian kala namak)- low in sodium + many more benefits.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-07-14/recipes/31386709_1_breakfast-peanuts-coriander-leaves

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-breakfast-poha-47062

for those who doesn't know what poha is : http://www.tarladalal.com/glossary-beaten-rice-536i

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/26/2013 10:52 am

Stir frying whatever you have in your fridge;

Tips: start the hard veggies first such as onions, carrot, add garlic a little later to reduce the chance of burning, peppers, cabbage... Add greens last, often after the heat is turned off. You only want them to wilt. But remember, you want things to stay crisp, so you aren't cooking anything for long. Try to chop everything first so all you have to do is add to the pan.

Also, i wouldn't bother with a wok. Woks are meant to work on stoves that put out much higher heat than your kitchen stove probably does. Just use a large flat bottom pan. If you use too small a pan, all the moisture in the veggies will make them steam. But that's good too.

Asian flavored sauces, from a blogger talking about using up all the veggies in the CSA share.

The sauce can be really simple: 2 parts soy sauce to 1 part rice vinegar, minced garlic and fresh ginger, some red pepper flakes.

You can change it up by adding some lime juice, green onions, or fish sauce instead of soy. Use a little sesame oil if you want a deeper flavor. If you like it sweeter, add orange juice or brown sugar. Make extra and thicken it up with a corn starch slurry if you want it to coat your noodles.

Or you can use a peanut-based sauce, especially if youre trying to use up basil. Peanut butter and rice vinegar or lime juice, some fish or soy sauce, and a good dose of sriracha.