Notifications
Clear all

does anyone know about probiotics and antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@jokerj)

Posted : 10/02/2008 10:25 pm

so i'm taking doxycylcine and im wondering if i can prevent possible side effects with a good probiotic added to my regimen

a few things

one, if i start taking probitocs, when i get off antibiotics, do i still have to take them? or will i be fine once im off for a little while?

also, will probiotics do anything if i'm on antibiotics? or will the antibiotics jsut kill them off? im taking 100mg twice a day, iknow its a lot but its only temporary. if i take my antibiotics night and day and probiotics in the afternoon would thsi work??

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 10/03/2008 12:11 am

The antibiotics are going to kill some of them for sure - but I absolutely recommend taking the probiotics to lessen the negative impact of the antibiotics.

Stagger the dose: Doxy 2 hrs before or after the probiotics. Take the probiotics twice per day. After you are off the doxy double your dose of probiotics for around a week - then resume normal consumption. I really like the Enzymatic Therapy brand Pearls - Immune Support and IC are really good lines.

If you are female and have any indications of a yeast infection - a diluted vinegar rinse ( 1 part vinegar 5 parts water) can often stop is dead in it's tracks.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@qbert22)

Posted : 10/03/2008 8:08 am

Yes yes yes take a probiotic with your antibiotics. I learned this the hard way. I was on high doses of Ampicillin for 8 months from my derm and she never told me to take a probiotic. The antibiotics destroyed my digestive system and I had to take powdered medical food for a month along with other digestive restoring pills. I was sick in the bathroom after EVERY meal. I coldn't digest anything after awhile. It was awful!

The best probiotic is called Ortho Biotic but it's expensive so I wouldn't bother unless you're already experiencing issues. The Probiotic Pearls are second best. Don't bother with the Acidopholis at the drugstore because it contains unnecessary ingredients like corn starch.

MemberMember
(@jokerj)

Posted : 10/07/2008 10:14 pm

Yes yes yes take a probiotic with your antibiotics. I learned this the hard way. I was on high doses of Ampicillin for 8 months from my derm and she never told me to take a probiotic. The antibiotics destroyed my digestive system and I had to take powdered medical food for a month along with other digestive restoring pills. I was sick in the bathroom after EVERY meal. I coldn't digest anything after awhile. It was awful!

The best probiotic is called Ortho Biotic but it's expensive so I wouldn't bother unless you're already experiencing issues. The Probiotic Pearls are second best. Don't bother with the Acidopholis at the drugstore because it contains unnecessary ingredients like corn starch.

where can i get probiotic pearls? at gnc?

also, is two hours really enough staggering before or after antibiotics to get the (almost) the full effects of probiotics. i'm just really concerned that i'll spend all this money on probiotics that do nothing because they're getting killed by antibiotics! haha

MemberMember
(@jokerj)

Posted : 10/08/2008 6:48 pm

bubububuBUMP

MemberMember
(@jokerj)

Posted : 10/20/2008 11:24 pm

BUMP AGAIN TO MY REPLY TWO REPLIES UP

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 10/21/2008 2:11 am

i just learned about the possibility that antibiotics will mess up your digestive tract and severely limit your ability to synthesize b-vitamins particulary b12. This will cause fatigue, or so i have personally experianced and is suggested by the reasoning.

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 03/04/2018 9:01 pm

Can anyone recommend a good probiotic to take while being on minocycline 100mg twice a day? I definitely want to take a probiotic, but am unsure which brand would be best while taking minocycline.

also, I am assuming I will have to be on minocycline as a long term solution for my acne, so I want to prevent as many side effects as I can.

thanks in advance.

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 03/11/2018 8:21 pm

Bump