Notifications
Clear all

Food Intolerances, Acne, Putting It All Together: Beta

MemberMember
(@complexissues)

Posted : 08/12/2008 6:34 pm

Recently I took an ALCAT test which tests for all kinds of food and substance intolerances.

An intolerance is not necessarily an allergy; food intolerances causes a reaction in the digestive system as opposed to an immune system reaction...Sometimes a food does cause an allergic reaction, which is severe. However intolerances such as being lactose intolerant causes lesser symptoms such as gas, bloating, diarrhea.

Anyhow, I found out I am severely intolerant to cane sugar but moderately gluten intolerant to many foods which include chicken, carrots, and rice just to name a few commonly perceived "good" foods. My dietitian thinks that once I improve the condition of my digestive track by not eating gluten, taking pro-bio tics, and etc, some of my lesser food intolerances will disappear.

Because everybody is intolerant to different foods, this can explain why some people still break out after eating all the "right" foods. Afterall, the ALCAT also said I'm moderately intolerant of apples, grapes, avocado -- that's supposed to be good ol "anti-acne", paleo-diet food but it doesn't matter if you're intolerant to those substances.

For years people have suggested a link between diet and food. Avoiding greasy and processed foods was sort of the basic foundation. But yet the results were not entirely satisfactory. Now it is clear that skin problems are very individualized and one should get tested for their own unique list of problem foods. An apple might help cure one's acne or rash, but it won't for me.

See how confusing that is? It is no longer safe to assume any one food is OK for everybody to eat. Progress has been made on eliminating a lot of COMMON substances like gluten or nuts, but most people on this site have problems that are the result of having uncommon sensitivities. To further compound the complexity, elimination diets can be incredibly painstaking and tedious to figure out...If possible I would highly recommend in seeking out blood testing as an investment.

The ALCAT also tests for chemical intolerances..it says chlorine and flouride are moderate intolerances for me. As you may know most of the tap water, shower water contains some ratio of both. That can explain why some people get rashes more easily...

I know there has been many posts written about food allergies and acne and etc...but I feel there hasn't been a whole lot of empirical data provided to back it up other than some generic avoidance of common problems; which as mentioned above, which provided mixed results among the populace.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 08/07/2015 7:18 pm

Exactly! I am sensitivitive to Grapes, Apples, onions, and garlic! Choosing a diet to go on just won't cut it. I was going to get a mediator release test (Created by the same person who made ALCAT), but someone on here helped me out, and I ended just testing foods myself to see which ones caused my acne. I did have a skin prick test done a year ago, and it did detect a lot of my food sensitivities, but not all of them. IT didn't detect the apples, and maybe a few others.

But yeah, it's fustrating seeing people go "Oh, well all I ate was fruits and vegetables and that still didn't change anything. I don't think leafy greens would cause acne!" Well if it was that easy, then we would all be cleared you slow mfs. It's just so fustrating. And I know not everyone has food sensitivities. It's fustrating to see people who finally give up medications and derms just to do some bs trial that they didn't even try hard at, and then go right back. Like no time at all was spent on it. really? WE would all be clear if it was that easy!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/08/2015 8:32 am

Exactly! I am sensitivitive to Grapes, Apples, onions, and garlic! Choosing a diet to go on just won't cut it. I was going to get a mediator release test (Created by the same person who made ALCAT), but someone on here helped me out, and I ended just testing foods myself to see which ones caused my acne. I did have a skin prick test done a year ago, and it did detect a lot of my food sensitivities, but not all of them. IT didn't detect the apples, and maybe a few others.

But yeah, it's fustrating seeing people go "Oh, well all I ate was fruits and vegetables and that still didn't change anything. I don't think leafy greens would cause acne!" Well if it was that easy, then we would all be cleared you slow mfs. It's just so fustrating. And I know not everyone has food sensitivities. It's fustrating to see people who finally give up medications and derms just to do some bs trial that they didn't even try hard at, and then go right back. Like no time at all was spent on it. really? WE would all be clear if it was that easy!

I admire your passion for finding the cause for your acne but i definitely think you can't judge people and assume they're lazy in trying to find out what is causing their acne if they eventually 'give up' and try an alternate route. Some of us have deeper issues going on besides food sensitivities ( think thyroid issues) that simply fixing ones diet and trying to discern ones food sensitivities is not going to clear acne. In any event , I do think that it is easier for many people to go the medical route due to time constraints and the demands of life but I agree that all that stuff is just a temporary fix.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 08/09/2015 11:39 pm

rial that they didn't even try hard at, and then go right back. Like no time at all was spent on it. really? WE would all be clear if it was that easy!

I admire your passion for finding the cause for your acne but i definitely think you can't judge people and assume they're lazy in trying to find out what is causing their acne if they eventually 'give up' and try an alternate route. Some of us have deeper issues going on besides food sensitivities ( think thyroid issues) that simply fixing ones diet and trying to discern ones food sensitivities is not going to clear acne. In any event , I do think that it is easier for many people to go the medical route due to time constraints and the demands of life but I agree that all that stuff is just a temporary fix.

leelowe, I feel you. You're right.

I realize a lot of people feel like I'm shoving my cure down their throats. I don't meant to. I know there's tons of other underlying conditions that could be causing people's acne. I just remember this one person who was all like "Well I tried a diet for 2 weeks, and it didn't do a thing for me. All I ate was fruits and vegetables and I don't think leafy greens are causing me any acne." This post reminded me of that. I've been working on it, though. Making some gains in the progress department.