Notifications
Clear all

what i found about IgE vs. IgG food allergies..

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/26/2009 4:06 pm

Linking to a very valuable post (by SweetJade of course) in another allergy thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2311186

Includes reference to a study showing a delayed-type allergic reaction causes acne vulgaris.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/21/2010 3:11 pm

Journal articles about IgG responses/testing:

http://www.betterhealthusa.com/public/282.cfm

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/24/2010 5:05 pm

Australian study finds that people who get more sun exposure (closer to equator) have fewer allergies.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/11/2769736.htm

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/11/2011 9:47 am

There's a book called The Hypoallergenic diet:

On the website they state:

Food allergies are well-recognized in clinical medicine as a cause of acute attacks of asthma, anaphylaxis and skin eruptions, as well as a contributing factor in some cases of skin rashes, eczema and rhinitis (runny nose). These types of allergic reactions are controlled by the immune system. The immune system uses antibodies (protein complexes used by the immune system) to attack any foreign material in the body. For example in common seasonal allergies the immune system produces antibodies against flower pollens that enter the nostrils, which results in an immune reaction followed by inflammation causing hay fever and runny nose.

Allergic reaction are also part of cause of any forms of diseases with an autoimmune etiology, such as acne, psoriasis, gout, dermatitis, eczema, asthma, migraine, chronic rhinitis, arthritis and systemic lupus erythema-tosus (SLE)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/29/2011 12:55 pm

So, previously I'd mentioned reading that it was the IgA antibodies that were involved in gluten intolerance. Apparently IgA antibodies are the immune system in the mucus membranes--nasal passages, mouth, digestive tract, lungs, etc. Just thought that was some interesting info. If I wanted an allergy test to determine why my nose always feels congested, I suppose that means I need to look for IgA reactions.

In this Mercola article on the evils of vaccines, he explains one reason they are bad is that injecting into the blood stream bypasses the immune system of the mucus membranes. And that system involves IgA antibodies. So you don't develop the right antibodies that will protect you when the germs enter your body the way they naturally do, through your nose or mouth and into the lungs. Which is why people still get sick despite being vaccinated. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...d-diseases.aspx

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/02/2011 2:48 pm

Term of the Day

Immunoglubulin = antibodies. It's the Ig in IgE, IgA, etc.

The five subclasses of antibodies are:

1. Immunoglobulin A (IgA), which is found in high concentrations in the mucous membranes, particularly those lining the respiratory passages and gastrointestinal tract, as well as in saliva and tears.

2. Immunoglobulin G (IgG), the most abundant type of antibody, is found in all body fluids and protects against bacterial and viral infections.

3. Immunoglobulin M (IgM), which is found mainly in the blood and lymph fluid, is the first to be made by the body to fight a new infection.

4. Immunoglobulin E (IgE), which is associated mainly with allergic reactions (when the immune system overreacts to environmental antigens such as pollen or pet dander). It is found in the lungs, skin, and mucous membranes.

5. Immunoglobulin D (IgD), which exists in minute amounts in the blood, is the least understood antibody.

IgA, IgG, and IgM are frequently measured simultaneously to give doctors important information about immune system functioning, especially relating to infection or autoimmune disease.

The description of IgM seems to contradict Mercola's claims somewhat.

More on IgA

IgA is found in high concentrations in the body's mucous membranes, particularly the respiratory passages and gastrointestinal tract, as well as in saliva and tears.

IgA also plays a role in allergic reactions. Its levels rise in response to the presence of allergens, such as pet dander, in sensitive people. IgA levels also may be high in autoimmune conditions, disorders in which the body mistakenly makes antibodies against healthy tissues.

Why It's Done

An IgA test can help doctors diagnose problems with the immune system, intestines, and kidneys. It's also used to evaluate autoimmune conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and celiac disease. Kids born with low levels of IgA a or none at all a are at increased risk of developing an autoimmune condition.

From kids health site, possibly kidshealth. something. I already closed it.

Some more in IgG

IgG antibodies are produced for several hours or days after exposure to an allergen and are called Type III delayed hypersensitivity reactions.

In a Type III delayed hypersensitivity reaction, IgG forms an immune complex with the allergen/antigen (Ag), which activates the complement pathway and releases inflammatory mediators wherever the immune complex is deposited. This process takes anywhere from several hours to several days, which is why hypersensitivity reactions are delayed. Although macrophages pick up the IgG-Ag complexes immediately, they have a finite capacity to do so. If there are a lot of antigens present, the macrophages may saturate their capacity to remove the immune complexes, causing the excess to be deposited in tissue. Depending on which tissues are involved, deposition of these IgG-Ag complexes may result in the following health concerns:

* Vascular deposition: headaches, vasculitis or hypertension

* Respiratory tissue deposition: alveolitis, asthma and recurrent infections

* Skin deposition: dermatologic conditions

* Joint deposition: joint pain

* Rhinitis and angioedema may occur as a result of histamine release by immune complexes

IgG allergies are difficult to diagnose because reactions do not occur until hours or days after ingestion of an allergen. This makes it extremely difficult to determine which foods are the causative agents. Blood spot testing for IgG provides a simple and practical means for practitioners to uncover potential causes of allergic reactions and allergy related disease. For detailed information on sample collection, go to the Test Specification Sheet.

From a testing lab: http://www.rmalab.com/index.php?id=18

Study showing relationship between IgG antibodies due to a food intolerance and Migraines:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18693538

IgG Food Allergy Testing by ELISA/EIA What do they really tell us?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/27/2011 11:58 am

Another site with info on the various types of food intolerances such as

histamine 'liberating' foods. Foods that stimulate a release of histamine from mast cells without having anything to do with antibodies. 'Foods that have been implicated in this type of reaction include Egg white, shellfish, strawberries, chocolate, citrus fruit, tomatoes, fish and pork meat. The histamine liberated in this reaction will cause symptoms that may mimic true food allergy.'

Vaso-active Amines in food a naturally occuring histamine. 'Histamine like substances occur naturally in foods and can trigger symptoms that mimic allergy. This is particularly true of fermented foods that contain high quantities of the vaso-active amines such as Histamine, Phenylethylamine, Serotonin, Tyramine and Dopamine.'

'Histamine is contained in a number of foods. It occurs in 3 cheeses (Blue, Roquefort and Parmesan), 2 vegetables (Spinach and Aubergine), 2 red wines (Chianti and Burgundy) and yeast extract or Marmite. Tyramine is found in Camembert and cheddar cheese, pickled herring, fermented sauces like bean and Soya, and in chicken livers. Serotonin is in banana, kiwi fruit, pineapple, tomato, walnuts, figs, plum and even seafood such as octopus. Symptoms of vaso-active amine ingestion are cramping, flushing, headache, palpitations and hypotension. The symptoms are usually dose related and occur when the histamine metabolising enzyme diamine oxidase is saturated and cannot metabolise the histamine ingested. '

And much more on things like cross reactions, exercise induced reactions to foods that don't cause a reaction when at rest, etc.:

http://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/food-aller...od-and-allergy/

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 05/27/2011 12:59 pm

source: http://www.spherios.com/foodallergies.html

Food Allergies and Sensitivities

Definition

An allergic reaction is an immune response to a foreign substance (antigen) that results in inflammation and organ dysfunction. Allergens can be chemical, environmental or food-based. In people with food allergies/sensitivities, an immediate or delayed adverse reaction by the immune system can occur to a food that most people find harmless.

Food Allergy

A food allergy is a classic antigen-antibody response to a particular food (IgG or IgE are the usual antibodies involved).

Food Sensitivity

A food sensitivity is an adverse reaction to a food with no antigen-antibody response.

1. Immediate: IgE-Mediated Response

An IgE-mediated allergic response is an immediate reaction within two hours after eating food. IgEmediated reactions are mainly seen in airborne allergies (pollens, dusts and weeds), and are not seen as often in food allergies.

MODE OF ACTION: IgE antibodies attach to mast cells that are mainly found in the air passages, blood and skin. When an allergen enters the body, the mast cells release substances (i.e. histamine) to ward off the allergen.

2. Delayed: IgG-Mediated Response

An IgG-mediated reaction is a delayed response, usually 36-72 hours after exposure to an antigen. IgG-mediated reactions are seen in most food allergies. The delayed response makes it difficult to pin down the specific food allergy.

MODE OF ACTION: A different type of mast cell is found in the connective tissue lining the intestinal tract. A food allergy reaction starts in the digestive tract, triggered by a free-floating antibody called secretory IgA. Secretory IgA functions to protect the lining of the small intestine by secreting a thick protective coating of mucus from the mucosal lining when it comes in contact with a food allergen. If the food is eaten repeatedly, the immune system is overtaxed and the amount of secretory IgA antibodies produced is decreased. This allows the food to come in contact with the mast cells and triggers the release of toxic chemical mediators (histamine, leukotrienes, inflammatory prostaglandins, etc.). Over the long term, the inflammatory prostaglandins decrease HCl (hydrochloric acid) secretion, which triggers the pancreas to underproduce bicarbonates and pancreatic enzymes. Also, the chemical mediators weaken the mucosal membrane of the intestinal wall and allow partially digested food to pass into the bloodstream. The IgG antibody attempts to clear these macromolecules from the bloodstream, but if overwhelmed, these macromolecules (immune complexes) penetrate the capillary walls and are deposited in the tissues. Inflammation is produced wherever the immune complexes are deposited. (Braly, J., M.D., Dr. Braly's Food Allergy and Nutrition Revolution. 1992. Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, CT., pp. 69-72).

Signs and Symptoms

1. Immediate: IgE-Mediated Response I don't have these...

- Anaphylactic shock (most severe)

- Rash.

- Wheezing.

- Hives.

- Swelling.

- Anxiety.

- Difficulty swallowing.

2. Delayed Reactions: (IgG-Mediated Response) I DO however have a some of these, the colored ones

- Gastrointestinal complaints including stomach pains, heartburn, excess gas, chronic diarrhea/constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers and malabsorption problems

- Dark circles under the eyes.

- Sinusitis.

- Itching.

- Chronic fatigue.

- Edema.

- Joint/muscle pain.

- Puffy eyes.

- Acne.

- Anxiety/depression.

- Chronic swollen glands.

- Eczema.

- Insomnia.

- Headaches (migraines).

- Hives.

- Asthma.

- Wheezing.

- Hyperactivity.

- Bedwetting.

- Canker sores.

- Arthritis.

- Chronic infections.

- Frequent ear infections.

- Irritability.

NOTE: Offending foods can be masked because eating the food can actually make the person feel better initially. (interesting!) Endorphins, which are produced in response to the inflammation, can cover up ill feelings. If a person stops eating the offending food, they will feel withdrawal symptoms (lasting approximately one to five days). Thus, they unconsciously crave the allergy food(s) in order to avoid the withdrawal symptoms. Frequently, a person's favorite foods are the allergy foods. Also, certain foods may work synergistically, meaning they will produce symptoms when eaten together, but not when eaten alone (i.e. eggs and apples).

Possible Causes or Contributing Factors

1. Weakened immune system - may be due to increased T-cell levels because of the constant internal battle, which causes allergic reactions to be triggered more quickly.

2. Environmental toxins (metals, chemicals, other pollutants) can increase the susceptibility to allergies

3. Repetitive immunizations or antibiotic/steroidal medication that decrease immune response and disturb the normal gastrointestinal flora can increase risk of food allergies

4. Dysbiosis such as candida, parasites, fungi, etc., decrease efficiency of the gut mucosa and increase the potential for allergies

5. Children born to parents with allergies have an increased chance of developing allergies themselves

6. Repetitive ingestion of a small variety of foods (monotonous diet) causes the body to become sensitized to the foods.

7. Genetic manipulation of foods and chemicals/pesticides added to foods increases the potential of food allergies

8. Nutritional deficiencies can increase the potential of food allergies.

9. Leaky gut syndrome can cause partially digested foods, virus and bacteria to enter the blood and cause immune responses. Leaky gut is caused by weak digestion, NSAIDS, infections, alcohol abuse, nutritional deficiencies, drug/medication use or abuse, dysbiosis, stress, premature birth and radiation. The inflammation from a food allergy can open holes in the gut lining through tight junctions. NOTE: NSAIDS increase the possibility of food sensitivities because they increase permeability and the ability of food particles to cross the gut mucosa into the bloodstream.

10. Stress and physical and/or emotional trauma can be due to decreased immune function, adrenal response and possibly decreased HCl production. Allergy sufferers, "seem to have a significantly lowered threshold to stress, in part because of the physiological and psychological overstimulation of their adrenals" (Braly, J., M.D., Dr. Braly's Food Allergy and Nutrition Revolution. 1992. Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, CT., pp. 68-69). One study showed that in solving a simple math problem, Type A personalities (tense, impatient, ambitious) have forty times as much cortisol and three times as much adrenaline circulating in the blood as Type B (more relaxed) people solving the same problem (Ibid, pp. 68-69).

11. Lower IgA levels (IgA protects the mucosa of the intestinal tract) increases the possibility of food allergies.

12. Poor digestion (i.e. decreased HCl production, pancreatic enzyme deficiency, gallbladder problems) increases the possibility of food allergies. Food sensitivities are frequently associated with low HCl levels.

13. Poor liver function can increase food allergies due to its role in removing foreign protein from the body and detoxifying the system.

14. Premature babies have increased risk due to underdeveloped gastrointestinal tract.

15. Premature weaning of infants to solid foods when the gastrointestinal tract is not fully developed increases the potential of food allergies. Baby formulas and cow's milk contain large molecules that are difficult for the baby to digest. Also, not breastfeeding can be a trigger for potential food allergens because of decreased protective factors from mother's milk.

16. Food additives (i.e. yellow dye #5 (tartrazine) and benzoates), which have been shown to increase the number of mast cells produced in the body, can increase the susceptibility to allergies.

17. Poor thyroid function increases allergy potential.

Copyright 1998-2004 HealthQuest, Inc.

You are gluten intolerant and that is obvious. The classic signs of the disease are canker sores, depression, irritability, chronic infections, joint pain and the other symptoms you listed.

You should get yourself tested by EnteroLab for $130.

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 05/27/2011 1:10 pm

oh, well, BIG SHOCK lol, i tested negative for wheat/soy/chocolate IgE allergies. that doesn't surprise me because.. I don't have the IgE symptoms! I really hope they'll do and ELISA or ALCAT or something..

Okay, how do they test you for gluten intolerance?

If it was the traditional Celiac Blood test, it has an accuracy rate of around 30% (or LESS). No one I know has been accurately diagnosed by that test. I tested negative and so did all my friends who now know they are severe Celiacs.

If it was an allergy test, allergy tests cannot diagnose gluten intolerance.

The only decent test available is a stool test by EnteroLab for $130.

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 05/27/2011 1:18 pm

my allergist wrote me back, when i asked about these tests

"Your IgE tests are equivalent to ELISA. I don't recommend ALCAT."

well.. not sure what to think about that but, looks like I won't be getting anything other than a skin test anytime soon. But if by the end of the summer I've had no luck with Differin and whatever else I try next, I'll go to one of the naturopathic doctors who do IgG tests..

OK...let's get real here. If celiac disease and sensitivity to gluten grains runs in your family....to start, regardless of what the "tests" indicate, have you given up gluten yet?

Peace

Yep! I gave up gluten about 2 months ago. so far, hasn't really had a noticeable effect on my skin. nonetheless, I much prefer gluten free, and it's really easy to do in my house :) I get tested for celiac disease about once a year.

You aren't gluten intolerant, you are grain intolerant.

I am a Celiac with severe acne and my acne did not go away on a gluten-free diet. After MUCH research, I noticed that all the Celiacs on the Celiac message boards who are "gluten-free" are not healing -- they are all complaining of health problems as if they are still eating gluten. I noticed that Celiacs who cut grains out of their diets were the only ones saying "I'VE HEALED!!"

I then discovered the Gluten Free Society that advocates a grain-free diet for Celiacs. They say that Celiacs are actually intolerant to all grains.

My skin was still horrible on the gluten-free diet so I decided to go grain-free. Within 2 months, my skin has healed by 90%.

Here is a lecture by the Gluten Free Society:

http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/video-tut...ity-what-is-it/

Also, here is a blog by a Celiac who was not healing on a traditional gluten-free diet. She then went grain-free and documented her results:

"My IGG level dropped from the 70's initially [after beginning a gluten-free diet], but never got any lower than 33. My doctor suggested in 2005 that if the IGG level was still in the 30's after a couple years on the diet, it probably would not improve, and I most likely had some permanent damage from the disease that kept it still high. So I stopped testing at that point, deciding it was not worth the cost to track my progress. Out of curiosity, I decided to retest these antibodies again [after a grain-free diet] and to my amazement, my IGG level was at a 2, the lowest it has been since diagnosis and within normal range which is 0-19. This was exciting news.

Also, her absorption levels increased:

"Ferritin previously at 26 was now 73 (normal 10-291)

Vitamin B12 previously at 320 was now 451 (normal 211-911)

Vitamin D previously at 33.1 was now 39.2 (normal 4.8-52.8)"

Link to her blog: http://www.pdxglutenfreenurse.com/2011/03/...ned-i-have.html

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/29/2011 12:16 pm

You are having a conversation with someone who hasn't been around in quite a while.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/21/2011 7:42 pm

Just wanted to comment that we've long had a lot of talk about Type I immediate responses and Type III delayed responses both of which involve antibodies. But a lot of acne and related studies I've read lately have mentioned Type IV delayed responses which are cell-mediated responses and don't involve antibodies. Some of the excerpts posted here earlier mention cell-mediated inflammatory responses being part of the pathogenesis of acne.

This recent report from various acne authorities on supposedly recent advances in the pathogenesis of acne mention Type IV Cell Mediated Responses.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Recent-Ad...-P-t298075.html

And this study that concludes that there is some delayed type response at the root of acne:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15688807?ordinalpos=4&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/04/2011 3:36 pm

Sweetjade post listing how she has identified that various foods to which she is intolerant cause acne in specific places. Just like with me and my cysts from citrus. Supporting my guess that acne that appears within a day or two after eating a food and/or recurs in the same place, tends to be an allergic reaction. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Fructose-...55#entry2124255

Also, talk about Type III and Type IV reactions. And the amino acid taurine countering the inflammation caused by these reactions.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 09/28/2011 7:09 pm

QUOTE (baby pink @ Jun 5 2008, 10:14 PM)

source: http://www.spherios.com/foodallergies.html

Food Allergies and Sensitivities

Definition

An allergic reaction is an immune response to a foreign substance (antigen) that results in inflammation and organ dysfunction. Allergens can be chemical, environmental or food-based. In people with food allergies/sensitivities, an immediate or delayed adverse reaction by the immune system can occur to a food that most people find harmless.

Food Allergy

A food allergy is a classic antigen-antibody response to a particular food (IgG or IgE are the usual antibodies involved).

Food Sensitivity

A food sensitivity is an adverse reaction to a food with no antigen-antibody response.

1. Immediate: IgE-Mediated Response

An IgE-mediated allergic response is an immediate reaction within two hours after eating food. IgEmediated reactions are mainly seen in airborne allergies (pollens, dusts and weeds), and are not seen as often in food allergies.

MODE OF ACTION: IgE antibodies attach to mast cells that are mainly found in the air passages, blood and skin. When an allergen enters the body, the mast cells release substances (i.e. histamine) to ward off the allergen.

2. Delayed: IgG-Mediated Response

An IgG-mediated reaction is a delayed response, usually 36-72 hours after exposure to an antigen. IgG-mediated reactions are seen in most food allergies. The delayed response makes it difficult to pin down the specific food allergy.

MODE OF ACTION: A different type of mast cell is found in the connective tissue lining the intestinal tract. A food allergy reaction starts in the digestive tract, triggered by a free-floating antibody called secretory IgA. Secretory IgA functions to protect the lining of the small intestine by secreting a thick protective coating of mucus from the mucosal lining when it comes in contact with a food allergen. If the food is eaten repeatedly, the immune system is overtaxed and the amount of secretory IgA antibodies produced is decreased. This allows the food to come in contact with the mast cells and triggers the release of toxic chemical mediators (histamine, leukotrienes, inflammatory prostaglandins, etc.). Over the long term, the inflammatory prostaglandins decrease HCl (hydrochloric acid) secretion, which triggers the pancreas to underproduce bicarbonates and pancreatic enzymes. Also, the chemical mediators weaken the mucosal membrane of the intestinal wall and allow partially digested food to pass into the bloodstream. The IgG antibody attempts to clear these macromolecules from the bloodstream, but if overwhelmed, these macromolecules (immune complexes) penetrate the capillary walls and are deposited in the tissues. Inflammation is produced wherever the immune complexes are deposited. (Braly, J., M.D., Dr. Braly's Food Allergy and Nutrition Revolution. 1992. Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, CT., pp. 69-72).

Signs and Symptoms

1. Immediate: IgE-Mediated Response I don't have these...

- Anaphylactic shock (most severe)

- Rash.

- Wheezing.

- Hives.

- Swelling.

- Anxiety.

- Difficulty swallowing.

2. Delayed Reactions: (IgG-Mediated Response) I DO however have a some of these, the colored ones

- Gastrointestinal complaints including stomach pains, heartburn, excess gas, chronic diarrhea/constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers and malabsorption problems

- Dark circles under the eyes.

- Sinusitis.

- Itching.

- Chronic fatigue.

- Edema.

- Joint/muscle pain.

- Puffy eyes.

- Acne.

- Anxiety/depression.

- Chronic swollen glands.

- Eczema.

- Insomnia.

- Headaches (migraines).

- Hives.

- Asthma.

- Wheezing.

- Hyperactivity.

- Bedwetting.

- Canker sores.

- Arthritis.

- Chronic infections.

- Frequent ear infections.

- Irritability.

NOTE: Offending foods can be masked because eating the food can actually make the person feel better initially. (interesting!) Endorphins, which are produced in response to the inflammation, can cover up ill feelings. If a person stops eating the offending food, they will feel withdrawal symptoms (lasting approximately one to five days). Thus, they unconsciously crave the allergy food(s) in order to avoid the withdrawal symptoms. Frequently, a person's favorite foods are the allergy foods. Also, certain foods may work synergistically, meaning they will produce symptoms when eaten together, but not when eaten alone (i.e. eggs and apples).

Possible Causes or Contributing Factors

1. Weakened immune system - may be due to increased T-cell levels because of the constant internal battle, which causes allergic reactions to be triggered more quickly.

2. Environmental toxins (metals, chemicals, other pollutants) can increase the susceptibility to allergies

3. Repetitive immunizations or antibiotic/steroidal medication that decrease immune response and disturb the normal gastrointestinal flora can increase risk of food allergies

4. Dysbiosis such as candida, parasites, fungi, etc., decrease efficiency of the gut mucosa and increase the potential for allergies

5. Children born to parents with allergies have an increased chance of developing allergies themselves

6. Repetitive ingestion of a small variety of foods (monotonous diet) causes the body to become sensitized to the foods.

7. Genetic manipulation of foods and chemicals/pesticides added to foods increases the potential of food allergies

8. Nutritional deficiencies can increase the potential of food allergies.

9. Leaky gut syndrome can cause partially digested foods, virus and bacteria to enter the blood and cause immune responses. Leaky gut is caused by weak digestion, NSAIDS, infections, alcohol abuse, nutritional deficiencies, drug/medication use or abuse, dysbiosis, stress, premature birth and radiation. The inflammation from a food allergy can open holes in the gut lining through tight junctions. NOTE: NSAIDS increase the possibility of food sensitivities because they increase permeability and the ability of food particles to cross the gut mucosa into the bloodstream.

10. Stress and physical and/or emotional trauma can be due to decreased immune function, adrenal response and possibly decreased HCl production. Allergy sufferers, "seem to have a significantly lowered threshold to stress, in part because of the physiological and psychological overstimulation of their adrenals" (Braly, J., M.D., Dr. Braly's Food Allergy and Nutrition Revolution. 1992. Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, CT., pp. 68-69). One study showed that in solving a simple math problem, Type A personalities (tense, impatient, ambitious) have forty times as much cortisol and three times as much adrenaline circulating in the blood as Type B (more relaxed) people solving the same problem (Ibid, pp. 68-69).

11. Lower IgA levels (IgA protects the mucosa of the intestinal tract) increases the possibility of food allergies.

12. Poor digestion (i.e. decreased HCl production, pancreatic enzyme deficiency, gallbladder problems) increases the possibility of food allergies. Food sensitivities are frequently associated with low HCl levels.

13. Poor liver function can increase food allergies due to its role in removing foreign protein from the body and detoxifying the system.

14. Premature babies have increased risk due to underdeveloped gastrointestinal tract.

15. Premature weaning of infants to solid foods when the gastrointestinal tract is not fully developed increases the potential of food allergies. Baby formulas and cow's milk contain large molecules that are difficult for the baby to digest. Also, not breastfeeding can be a trigger for potential food allergens because of decreased protective factors from mother's milk.

16. Food additives (i.e. yellow dye #5 (tartrazine) and benzoates), which have been shown to increase the number of mast cells produced in the body, can increase the susceptibility to allergies.

17. Poor thyroid function increases allergy potential.

Copyright 1998-2004 HealthQuest, Inc.

You are gluten intolerant and that is obvious. The classic signs of the disease are canker sores, depression, irritability, chronic infections, joint pain and the other symptoms you listed.

You should get yourself tested by EnteroLab for $130.

Where is the link for this test? I tried googling it but am unable to find a food allergy test for that price.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/29/2011 3:06 am

this really intrigues me. Who does these IGE tests? I don't think my insurance covers it. How much does it cost?

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 12/29/2011 10:15 am

this really intrigues me. Who does these IGE tests? I don't think my insurance covers it. How much does it cost?

Ask your doc, or:

http://www.enterolab...s/TestInfo.aspx

FabianL liked
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/29/2011 10:44 am

Everyone does IgE tests. That's what your average doctor/allergist are concerned with because that is what causes the immediate type reactions like hives, rashes and anaphylactic shock that could kill you.

What you want is a test that looks for reactions involving other antibodies or some other end marker of any kind of inflammatory response including those that don't involve antibodies. The delayed type reactions that cause acne, asthma, fatigue, headache and all kinds of mystery ailments people never find a cause for. Which is the basic point of this thread.

Many of the acne and related studies I've read lately have mentioned Type IV delayed responses which are cell-mediated responses and don't involve antibodies. Some of them have been posted here in this thread.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/29/2011 1:54 pm

whoops, i mean to type IGG test not IGE. I read through this thread and there are a plethora of different tests such as ALCAT.

Ask your doc, or:

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/06/2012 11:39 am

Dr. Oz said that bumps inside the lower eyelid are signs of allergy, with no additional information as usual. I just looked and was surprised to not see any, but I know I've noticed them in the past.

I searched for info and found only people citing Oz and this from a poster on a forum

'

There are a host of professional opinions about these minuscule eruptions (less than 1/16" wide), all of which link them to some kind of infection, or worse -- and all of them are wrong. The cause is benign, variable, and most likely linked to body chemistry (e.g. allergy, pH balance, etc.). If you usually get only one or two at a time, inside the mouth, eyelid, or some other area of very sensitive skin; if it doesn't hurt or itch, and lasts for only a few days, it is just a small gland that has become iritated and has filled with fluid, causing it to pop outward. Though it doesn't hurt when left alone, it's very sensitive and can cause irritation in the mouth when the tongue becomes obsessed with it and won't let it be; or when it's inside the eyelid and scrapes across the cornea with each blink.
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/29/2012 12:36 pm

http://www.acne.org/...ost__p__2817239

There are currently 5 different types of immune reactions and only 4 types have antibodies you can search for. With regards to acne, IgG antibodies (Type III, Immune Complex Sensitivity) may present when there is an antigen OR a specific white blood cell known as a Polymorphonuclear Cell/PMN (Type IV, Delayed Type Hypersensitivity or Cell Mediated) may present itself.

You can test for the first one, but not for the cell mediated white blood cell activity. Well actually, there are a few tests for that one (NowLeap.com, ALCAT.com, EPC-ODX.com), but again, no test is as accurate as an Elimination & Provocation Diet. So just because you didn't test postive for any of the tests looking for antibodies, it does not mean there may not be foods that affect you unfavorably. Have you personally avoided foods and noted the results?

Acne as a Delayed Type Hypersensitivity This is a write up based on information others, including myself, posted in healthboards several years ago biggrin.gif It mentions histamine because it also plays a role in DTH reactions. So anti-histamines are not just for those that have "allergies" smile.gif

Immunohistochemical evidence of chronic inflammation in acne vulgaris

This is one of several studies that helped fuel the discussion on here as well as healthboards. It's funny because people in the scientific community had tested acne as a DTH reaction as far back as 1980 and they discounted it. Of course, you won't react to just anything...only what you personally are sensitive to

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 05/23/2012 12:27 pm

Well, I've tried eliminating Dairy and grains each for over a month with no improvement to sinuses, headaches and other symptoms. So soon I'm going to begin a more strict elimination plan in which I eat only from the below list of foods that few people are allergic to and begin adding in one by one other foods.

List of Hypoallergenic Foods from World's Healthiest Foods book. (For some reason, they cover this much more simply and to the point in the book than on the website. You think it would be the other way around.)

Cabbage

Carrots

Celery

Collard Greens

Green Beans

Green Peas

Kale

Lettuce

Summer Squash (Zucchini)

Sweet Potatoes

Swiss Chard

Winter Squash

Sea Vegetables

Garlic and Onions

Olive Oil

Apples

Grapes

Lemons*

Pears

Brown Rice

Black Beans

Garbanzos

Lentils

Pumpkin seeds

Sesame Seeds

Sunflower seeds

Cod

Wild Salmon

Lamb

Notes:

-Many people with a damage digestive tract and/or extremely intolerant should avoid all grains. legumes, nuts, seeds until they heal. And many are cross contaminated with gluten grains. Some won't see any improvement from only avoiding the gluten grains.

-Lamb is on that list because it is almost always from pastured animals fed no grains. If you can find products from other animals raised that way or wild they are probably fine.

-Make sure the Salmon is wild, not farmed.

-Cherries, like other stone fruit should be organic and we've had some people here that break out from stone fruit. I don't know that they've methodically verified that they react to every stone fruit or if they can have cherries. Almonds belong to the same family.

-I get cysts from oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, and key limes, but I've been able to use quite a bit of lemon and other limes without a problem.

-Some people have difficulty digesting legumes, so you might want to avoid those for a period as well. And when you add them in, make them yourself from dried beans and soaked at least overnight. And black beans belong to the kidney bean family and kidney beans are considered high in lectins so their inclusion in a list of hypo-allergenic foods is confusing, only consume if you soak and cook properly. More info on lectins and proper preparation/food combos to reduce their harm: http://www.acne.org/...me-t247794.html

-Some people have issues with fructose malabsorption which can be improved with a natural circadian rhythm and certain nutrients like taurine. http://www.acne.org/...bo-t299249.html

-And I'm not sure if by 'Summer Squash (Zucchini)' they mean all summer squash with zucchini as one example of a summer squash, or they mean specifically just zucchini.

-----------------------------------------------------

List of foods sorted in their related families. Consider if you have an intolerance to one, you may have an intolerance to other members of the family.

Note: This list was copied from another members post from an unknown source. I've been modifying it, but I'm not guaranteeing it's 100% accurate. Or complete.

FOOD FAMILIES:

Apple Family: Apples and pears

Banana Family: Banana, plantains, arrowroot

Birch Family: Hazelnut, wintergreen

Blueberry Family: Blueberry, Bilberry, cranberry, huckleberry

Buckwheat family: Buckwheat, rhubarb

Cashew Family: Mango, Cashew, Pistachio, poison ivy

Cattle/Ruminant family: Beef, goat, sheep/lamb and all bi-products such as milk/cheese/whey,...

Dillenia Family: Kiwi, gooseberry and relatives

Goosefoot Family: Beet root/ greens, spinach, swiss chard, quinoa, amaranth, purslane, lambs quarters

Gourd Family: Cucumbers & pickles, melons (i.e. cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon), All kinds of squashes (zucchini/courgettes, yellow squash, winter squashes and pumpkin)

Hordeae Family: Wheat, barley, rye, spelt, teff, farina, products like bulgur, couscous

Grape family: Grape, raisin, wine, cream of tartar

Hemp Family: Hops, Marijuana

Hickory Family - Hickory, Pecan

Laurel Family: Avocado, bay leaf, cinnamon

Lily Family: Onions, garlic, chives, leeks, shallots, green onions, asparagus, aloe vera

Mint Family: Basil, catnip, mint, oregano, peppermint, rosemary, sage, savory, spearmint, thyme, chia, menthol

Morning Glory Family: Sweet potato

Mulberry Family: Breadfruit, fig, mulberry

Mushroom Family: Mushrooms, puffballs, Truffles

Mustard/Cabbage Family/Brassicas: Horseradish, mustard, rutabaga, turnip, cabbage, broccoli family, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, Chinese cabbages and bok choy varieties, collard greens, kale, canola oil, rapeseed, cress. If it's leafy (or broccoli like) and not shaped like a ducks foot, it's probably in this family.

Nutmeg Family: Nutmeg, mace

Olive Family: All olives

Orchid Family: Vanilla

Palm Family: Coconut, date, hearts of palm

Papaya Family: Papaya

Parsley Family: Anise, caraway, carrot, celery, celery seed, chervil, coriander, cumin, dill, fennel, parsley, parsnip, lovage, cilantro, celery root/celeriac

PassionFlower Family: Passion Fruit

Pea Family: Alfalfa, clover, beans (aduki, fava, green, kidney, lima, mung, navy, pinto, snap, string, soy, garbanzo, locust, carob, lentil, split pea), peanuts, peas (black-eyed, chick peas, green peas) licorice, tamarind.

Pepper Family: peppercorns, white pepper, black pepper

Pheasant Family: Chicken and chicken eggs, pheasant, quail

Pineapple Family: Pineapple family

Plum Family/Genus Prunus: Stone fruit -Almond, apricot, cherry, chokeberry, nectarine, peach, plum, prune

Poppy Family: Poppy seed

Potato Family (Nightshade): Eggplant/aubergine, potato, tobacco, tomato, peppers: cayenne, chili, tobasco, paprika, pimiento, tomatillo, jalapeno, bell peppers of all colors

Prawn Family: Prawn, shrimp

Protea Family: Macadamia nut

Rose Family: Blackberry, boysenberry, raspberry, strawberry

Citrus Family: Citron, grapefruit, lemon, lime, mandarin, oranges, tangerine, tangelo, ugly fruit, key lime, all kinds of hybrids...

Yeast Family: Baker's yeast, brewer's yeast

Sapucaya Family: Brazil Nut, paradise nut

Sesame Family: Sesame seeds, sesame oil

Spurge Family: Castor oil, tapioca (aka yucca, cassava & others names), arrowroot

Stercula Family: Chocolate, cocoa, cola nut

Tea family: Camellia sinensis teas aka Black tea, green tea, white tea

Walnut Family: Black walnut, English Walnut, white walnut

Yams: Yams, Chinese potato, cush-cush, water yams, yellow yams, black yams, elephant's foot. (Sweet potatoes are often mistakenly called yam, but it is very unlikely you'll find a true yam in an American or probably European market. Those things in your supermarket or what you had for Thanksgiving dinner are most likely sweet potatoes, regardless of what they call them.)

Can we have an update on the progress you did or didn't make on that, please? Sorry if old and you already answered this somewhere. This place is huge.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/23/2012 3:58 pm

Well, I've tried eliminating Dairy and grains each for over a month with no improvement to sinuses, headaches and other symptoms. So soon I'm going to begin a more strict elimination plan in which I eat only from the below list of foods that few people are allergic to and begin adding in one by one other foods.

Can we have an update on the progress you did or didn't make on that, please? Sorry if old and you already answered this somewhere. This place is huge.

Are you asking about my plan to follow a very hypoallergenic diet for a while? I never did it. Also, my interest in it had nothing to do with acne. Or little to do with acne. As apparently rhinitus may be a symptom of hyperkeratinization, as is acne.

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 05/23/2012 4:06 pm

That diet looked like it might have done something for acne. I was wondering if it did, but seeing as you didn't do; why didn't you do it, may I ask? The question has now changed.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/24/2012 9:55 am

That diet looked like it might have done something for acne. I was wondering if it did, but seeing as you didn't do; why didn't you do it, may I ask? The question has now changed.

Ok, I think you've been around here taking part in a lot of posts, so I don't understand the confusion. I follow a diet that clears my skin as I discuss all the time. This thread is about food intolerances that might cause an assortment of ailments and discomforts.

And yes, as the list of hypoallergenic foods includes some of the best, most nutrient dense foods that are mostly low GI, limiting yourself to those foods in low to moderate GL meals would likely clear your skin. If you have reason to believe you have many mystery food intolerances or find it easier to figure out what to eat as you change your diet if you just stick to a short lists of food, then sticking to that list of hypoallergenic foods is a good way to go.

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 05/24/2012 2:38 pm

Yes, and all the information you post, whilst helpful, is also overwhelming. So it's easy to get lost in everything and not follow what you say exactly. Let alone the whole community on this forum and what everybody else has to say about acne. I read specific things of interest, not everything you post.

And thanks for the advice.