Notifications
Clear all

does peanut butter cuase acne for you?

MemberMember
(@tamiko1976)

Posted : 04/23/2011 3:51 am

I read that eating peanut butter or peanuts raises your testosterone levels which will in fact cause acne in those that are sensitive to hormone fluctuations. I learned this the hard way after moving back from Japan where they never eat peanut butter and I started eating it on my toast everyday. 2 weeks into that habit ~DISASTER~.

MemberMember
(@phresh)

Posted : 04/23/2011 8:47 pm

I am convinced that peanut butter causes mild cystic acne for me but it usually takes 1-2 weeks to show up. I am 41 yrs old and had moderate whitehead with some cystic type acne in my teen and early 20s on my face and back. I rarely eat peanut butter as an adult because of the calories but had a craving last year so bought a jar and ate it over a couple weeks and about two weeks later got two big acne cysts on my face after very many years of not having that. I thought about what changed in my diet and then was suspicious the peanut butter caused it because it was the only thing different. A year later I tried having a couple of peanut butter sandwiches and a week later had two small cysts on my face again. Some people say it is "just the oil" but I eat a ton of almonds and other oily foods with no problems as an adult. Maybe I am wrong but I am pretty sure that peanut butter has a direct affect on causing cysts for me.

I really doubt it's the peanut butter if it's not showing up until 2 weeks later.

MemberMember
(@sito)

Posted : 04/24/2011 12:24 am

i'm looking to get some peanut butter or almond butter, but i want what's best for my health or least aggravates my acne ...

so almond butter is better than peanut butter correct?

what do you guys think of this organic almond butter?

http://www.nutsonline.com/nuts/almonds/raw...th-organic.html

compared to this organic peanut butter>>??

the latter OPB, has more protein so why is it cheaper???

and what other almond butters or peanut butters would u guys recommend??

Not the JIF stuff, i know that.

MemberMember
(@ben90)

Posted : 04/24/2011 4:30 am

It probably does for me, but it tastes so good on sweet potatoes and its worth it! I tried cutting it out before and it might of made a slight difference, but not enough to jusity cutting it out.

MemberMember
(@pickychick)

Posted : 10/06/2011 9:01 pm

I just broke down and ate like two tablespoons of peanut butter because cutting out dairy, soy, peanuts, and reducing fat intake in general has made me really hungry..I hope I don't break out tomorrow :(

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 10/10/2012 2:22 am

Sorry to bump such an old board but does anyone out there right now have any proof behind peanut butter and acne??...

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/10/2012 5:17 am

just wondeirng.. I need to get buff and peanut better is a good way to get fat

I love peanut butter but you have to be careful. A lot of brands add cane sugar. Go for natural peanut butter.

Other sources and arguably better fats, udos oil. olive oil, , salmon avocado.

As for acne. Who knows? You may be sensitive to it you may not. I wouldn't worry and just keep doing what you are doing unless you have cause to change.

And i just realised that i replied to a post over 3 years old lol

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 10/10/2012 8:33 am

There are some who theorize that legumes (like peanuts) are harmful for people with leaky gut. At this point it's just theory, so take it for what it's worth.

MemberMember
(@greatsite18)

Posted : 10/10/2012 8:51 am

Guys youve all overlooked a property of peanut butter which makes it bad for your skin; it is gooey and sticky. Peanut butter can rot your skin from the inside out causing acne because of negligent oral hygeine. Basically you gotta be careful when eating PB, you gotta brush real good, mouthwash, and Id say floss too. PB is so awkward for me I just avoid it and eat real nuts.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/10/2012 10:02 am

A naturopath told me that peanuts increase intestinal permeability (leaky gut) and that they are also known to feed candida. They most definitely break me out and make me feel very ill. I avoid them at all costs.

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 10/10/2012 12:04 pm

A naturopath told me that peanuts increase intestinal permeability (leaky gut) and that they are also known to feed candida. They most definitely break me out and make me feel very ill. I avoid them at all costs.

Thanks, that helps a lot. I was topping a little PB on my green apples sometimes because I liked the taste and combination, but i'm giving it all to my family now.

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 10/10/2012 12:16 pm

A little quick research shows that there's a specific lectin in peanuts that has actually been studied and shown to cause intestinal permeability/infiltrate the intestinal lining and get into the bloodstream.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/10/2012 12:26 pm

Peanuts are one of the more damaging seeds and have been found to permeate the intestinal lining much like gluten and soy. It's also very common to be allergic to them. As with most things it depends on your health, intolerances and what else you eat and do to yourself.

But they are definitely something everyone should try avoiding and most should limit even if they notice no I'll effects.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/10/2012 4:33 pm

Peanuts are one of the more damaging seeds and have been found to permeate the intestinal lining much like gluten and soy. It's also very common to be allergic to them. As with most things it depends on your health, intolerances and what else you eat and do to yourself.

But they are definitely something everyone should try avoiding and most should limit even if they notice no I'll effects.

Interesting comment.

Is this for all nuts or just peanuts?

I eat almonds daily for their high nutrient content and essential fats and i use them for whenever i am guiding someone towards their fat loss goals. So far no complaints.

MemberMember
(@tootsler)

Posted : 10/10/2012 4:52 pm

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE peanut butter and almond butter. Whenever I eat them, I get cysts on my jaw line within 24 hours. I'm so bummed & hoping that I outgrow this.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/11/2012 7:50 am

Interesting comment.

Is this for all nuts or just peanuts?

I eat almonds daily for their high nutrient content and essential fats and i use them for whenever i am guiding someone towards their fat loss goals. So far no complaints.

Peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes. Almonds are not nuts either. They are seeds of a fruit related to peaches and plums. And they are not in the list of seeds found to permeate the intestine that I just posted above. It is however, common for seeds to be problematic allergy and digestibility-wise. You'll have to test them individually, but if you have any digestion issues, you might not notice improvement unless you avoid all seeds.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/11/2012 3:05 pm

Peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes. Almonds are not nuts either. They are seeds of a fruit related to peaches and plums. And they are not in the list of seeds found to permeate the intestine that I just posted above. It is however, common for seeds to be problematic allergy and digestibility-wise. You'll have to test them individually, but if you have any digestion issues, you might not notice improvement unless you avoid all seeds.

Where's the list? I looked but couldn't find it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/15/2012 9:26 am

Where's the list? I looked but couldn't find it.

The ones I listed in my above post. Gluten, soy and peanuts. There's more info with links to the studies in the ZAG enzyme thread. Kidney bean lectins have also been found to permeate the intestinal lining but I' puzzled by that sice they have so many relatives that don't and I think it's probably easy to minimize the harm with cooking, especally with proper preparation involving soaking and boiling. And with very common food combos as the nutrients that bind them are found in many, many foods.

MemberMember
(@greenmond)

Posted : 10/16/2012 10:47 am

I haven't noticed any kind of negative reaction to it. I eat a peanut butter sandwich every morning and have been doing so for months. I'm sure eating too much could be bad, a la Marlon Brando.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/17/2012 7:48 am

Guys youve all overlooked a property of peanut butter which makes it bad for your skin; it is gooey and sticky. Peanut butter can rot your skin from the inside out causing acne because of negligent oral hygeine. Basically you gotta be careful when eating PB, you gotta brush real good, mouthwash, and Id say floss too. PB is so awkward for me I just avoid it and eat real nuts.

And the evidence that supports this?

Whilst i agree there a lot of bad brands of PB out there, natural peanut butter is fine assuming of course one does not have leaky gut issues.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/17/2012 9:45 am

Any food can cause oral health issues if you don't clean your mouth. You should be brushing and flossing regardless of what you eat.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 10/19/2012 8:04 pm

Actually, real meat and veggies are the best way to get buff. Look at Mark Sisson. He's in his like 60's and only works out an hour max every day, and he's buff as heck. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz29nSiKbNQ