Notifications
Clear all

The science behind DIM (or estrogen metabolism/androgen production)

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/02/2008 5:34 pm

I don't understand why you say idiopathic hirsutism is a cause of hyperandrogenism. Idiopathic hirsutism is hirsutism with no identifiable cause. Someone with idiopathic hirsutism does not have hyperandrogenism.

Also, many people with acne do not have hyperandrogenism. They are just overly sensitive to normal levels of androgens. But anti-androgens can still often work in this case.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 03/02/2008 6:13 pm

Ok - this is a really long read, but worth it - please tell me what you think:

http://www.drlam.com/A3R_brief_in_doc_form...Dominance.cfm#2

MemberMember
(@treefeet)

Posted : 03/02/2008 6:35 pm

I don't think it's hyperandrogenism that is necessarily the problem, but too much free T because of decreased SHBG.

There are many studies that show both men and women with acne have higher levels of free T and lower levels of SHBG when compared to acne free control groups.

So basically, you can have normal serum levels of androgens, but with less SHBG you have more bioavailable androgens to bind with receptors on sebaceous glands and thats where the real problem starts.

Decreased SHBG is associated with the liver's conversion of excess blood glucose to triglycerides, which I think is why a low carb diet seems to work so well. (less carbs = less blood glucose)

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/02/2008 7:21 pm

whats that? =P
MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 03/02/2008 7:21 pm

I just copied and pasted what I read... I didnt write it :).

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 03/02/2008 8:59 pm

This is confusing now, I never knew Estrogen was what it is.

So Basically im seeing this as we have Testosterone and Estrogen.

Estrogen balances with Progesterone.

Estrogen dominance is where Estrogen is higher then Progesterone.

2-(OH)-estrone is good while 16-alpha(OH)-estrone are considered bad

Flax lignans, DIM, I3C, Isoflavone (aka Phyto-estrogens) work as they are weaker Estrogens.

These weaker Estrogens take up all the space at receptor sites, making the bodies Estrogen void.

The weaker effects of Phytoestrogens means less of a load of Estrogen in the body meaning better ratio of progesterone

This all leading to a less of a burden of hormones on the liver...meaning hormonal acne can be controlled.

I think your just chosing the lesser of one evil while using DIM, Flax lignans etc which is a good thing but maybe a much better way would be using Progesterone. Or simply improve the function of the liver with herbs, supplements like Calcium-d-glucarate and Methionine.

Im liking how this can help with PMS for my princess...if I could help her with this Ill be so happy.

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/02/2008 9:12 pm

Im liking how this can help with PMS for my princess...if I could help her with this Ill be so happy.
MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/02/2008 10:08 pm

2-(OH)-estrone is good while 16-alphaa(OH)-estrone are considered bad

Flax lignans, DIM, I3C, Isoflavone (aka Phyto-estrogens) work as they are weaker Estrogens.

These weaker Estrogens take up all the space at receptor sites, making the bodies Estrogen void.

The weaker effects of Phytoestrogens means less of a load of Estrogen in the body meaning better ratio of progesterone

This all leading to a less of a burden of hormones on the liver...meaning hormonal acne can be controlled.

I think your just chosing the lesser of one evil while using DIM, Flax lignans etc which is a good thing but maybe a much better way would be using Progesterone. Or simply improve the function of the liver with herbs, supplements like Calcium-d-glucarate and Methionine.

MemberMember
(@light-in-sight)

Posted : 03/02/2008 10:16 pm

I have a question. Forgive me if this has been asked.

What type of DIM is better, the BIO-DIM(which has 25% DIM and also Vit E) or the pure DIM.

An example of a bio-dim(also called dim complex) pill is the natures way DIM.

Anyways I know that vit E helps absorbtion of DIM so thats why im contomplating whether or not I should get the bio-dim or the pure stuff and take a vit e suppliment.

MemberMember
(@bran88)

Posted : 03/02/2008 10:36 pm

Hi guys,

can someone explain why calcium d-glucarate is beneficial to us...Also is it something we should consider taking with DIM?

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/03/2008 3:03 am

Hi guys,

can someone explain why calcium d-glucarate is beneficial to us...Also is it something we should consider taking with DIM?

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 03/03/2008 6:39 am

Think ive worked somthing out.

I can see why using DIM, flax seed etc and progesterone can break people out.

Once you flush out xenoestrogens your basically increasing toxins in the body and if your liver cant expel used hormones fast enough you will get more acne. (this explains why im ill after using 5grams of flax seed lignans in the last week! and why im breaking out from using it)

This also explains why using Calcium D-gluconate and liver building/cleansing herbs and high fiber diets help as this flushes out used hormones faster!

This also links in candida into the equation as candida and leaky gut goes hand in hand. Leaky gut also can leak used hormones back into your system. Thus your increasing how much hormones are in the body simply because the bowels are not working well and leading to an increase in cancer, esp women as they go up and down each month with body estrogen and this explains why women get PMS.

I think anyone on DIM,Soya, flax, I3C should indefinatly take anything to increase liver detoxification. Including Calcium D-gluconate any liver building/cleansing herbs and anything to increase phase 2 of liver detoxifiation...and guess what some of these are...

TAURINE

GLUTAMINE

GLUTATHIONE

GLYCINE

TAURINE

CYSTEINE

SULPHUR PHYTOCHEMICALS (GARLIC,CABBAGE,BROCCOLI,ONIONS,LEAKS,CAULIFLOWERS,BRUSSEL SPROUTS)

N.A.C

METHIONINE

CALCIUM D-GLUCARATE

QUERCETIN

LIPOLIC ACID

Well this is all making sense. Thing is I knew about this before but I didnt undestand it how I do now.

If you dont have enough raw material in phase 2 detoxification of the liver then it cant deal with the excess hormones that DIM,flax,I3C dispalce creating xenoestrogens.

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/03/2008 7:44 am

Think ive worked somthing out.

I can see why using DIM, flax seed etc and progesterone can break people out.

Once you flush out xenoestrogens your basically increasing toxins in the body and if your liver cant expel used hormones fast enough you will get more acne. (this explains why im ill after using 5grams of flax seed lignans in the last week! and why im breaking out from using it)

This also explains why using Calcium D-gluconate and liver building/cleansing herbs and high fiber diets help as this flushes out used hormones faster!

This also links in candida into the equation as candida and leaky gut goes hand in hand. Leaky gut also can leak used hormones back into your system. Thus your increasing how much hormones are in the body simply because the bowels are not working well and leading to an increase in cancer, esp women as they go up and down each month with body estrogen and this explains why women get PMS.

I think anyone on DIM,Soya, flax, I3C should indefinatly take anything to increase liver detoxification. Including Calcium D-gluconate any liver building/cleansing herbs and anything to increase phase 2 of liver detoxifiation...and guess what some of these are...

TAURINE

GLUTAMINE

GLUTATHIONE

GLYCINE

TAURINE

CYSTEINE

SULPHUR PHYTOCHEMICALS (GARLIC,CABBAGE,BROCCOLI,ONIONS,LEAKS,CAULIFLOWERS,BRUSSEL SPROUTS)

N.A.C

METHIONINE

CALCIUM D-GLUCARATE

QUERCETIN

LIPOLIC ACID

Well this is all making sense. Thing is I knew about this before but I didnt undestand it how I do now.

If you dont have enough raw material in phase 2 detoxification of the liver then it cant deal with the excess hormones that DIM,flax,I3C dispalce creating xenoestrogens.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 03/03/2008 10:44 am

This is brilliant. Do you think with a little more research that you might be able to translate it into a program (i.e. 30 days DIM, followed by 2 weeks CDG and monthly maintenance of???). Do you think there might be at least 2 different "types" that would get different treatment (i.e. androgen type and estrogen-imbalance type)?
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/03/2008 3:06 pm

Hmm you see what im thinking is the liver is the key in all of hormonal imbalances.
MemberMember
(@ryudoadema)

Posted : 03/03/2008 3:27 pm

I'd say liver health and bowel movements are about equal in expelling these toxins. Even after they go through the liver, if their not expelled through the bowels, they'll come right back to the liver for another round or two...

MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 03/03/2008 3:38 pm

I have a question. Forgive me if this has been asked.

What type of DIM is better, the BIO-DIM(which has 25% DIM and also Vit E) or the pure DIM.

An example of a bio-dim(also called dim complex) pill is the natures way DIM.

Anyways I know that vit E helps absorbtion of DIM so thats why im contomplating whether or not I should get the bio-dim or the pure stuff and take a vit e suppliment.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 03/03/2008 4:44 pm

Hmm you see what im thinking is the liver is the key in all of hormonal imbalances.

It is. I posted some info on strengthening the liver from Dr. Lam's site on one of the other DIM threads. But it's the same things (Foods, supplements) we keep reading and discussing in all kinds of threads.

I think the thing to do is get real serious about eating plenty of all the sulfur, DIM and CALCIUM D-GLUCARATE containing foods: cruciferous veggies, spinach, apples, etc.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 03/03/2008 4:51 pm

2-(OH)-estrone is good while 16-alphaa(OH)-estrone are considered bad

No, DIM and I3C do not contain phytoestrogens. I'm not sure exactly how they work, but they detoxify your body of "bad" estrogens. They don't actually contain any hormones themselves.

Phytoestrogens break me out terribly, and I have seen several other people say the same thing. But DIM is working for several people so far.

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/03/2008 5:06 pm

It is. I posted some info on strengthening the liver from Dr. Lam's site on one of the other DIM threads. But it's the same things (Foods, supplements) we keep reading and discussing in all kinds of threads.

I think the thing to do is get real serious about eating plenty of all the sulfur, DIM and CALCIUM D-GLUCARATE containing foods: cruciferous veggies, spinach, apples, etc.

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/03/2008 5:10 pm

jodiat, if the DIM works due to p-450 & liver-related mechanisms, do you think progesterone cream can work as well?

I don't believe so.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 03/03/2008 5:16 pm

Im with you on this for sure. Anything to help phase 2 is going to be needed while using anything that alters Estrogen.

I'd say liver health and bowel movements are about equal in expelling these toxins. Even after they go through the liver, if their not expelled through the bowels, they'll come right back to the liver for another round or two...
MemberMember
(@andersoj)

Posted : 03/03/2008 5:17 pm

Have you guys read this wikipedia article on DIM where it talks about its ability to attack antibiotic resistant bacteria? Maybe that has something to do with its effectiveness against acne?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3%2C3%27-Diindolylmethane

Forgive me if this has already been brought up.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/03/2008 5:19 pm

I don't think it's hyperandrogenism that is necessarily the problem, but too much free T because of decreased SHBG.

There are many studies that show both men and women with acne have higher levels of free T and lower levels of SHBG when compared to acne free control groups.

So basically, you can have normal serum levels of androgens, but with less SHBG you have more bioavailable androgens to bind with receptors on sebaceous glands and thats where the real problem starts.

Decreased SHBG is associated with the liver's conversion of excess blood glucose to triglycerides, which I think is why a low carb diet seems to work so well. (less carbs = less blood glucose)

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/03/2008 5:22 pm

Im with you on this for sure. Anything to help phase 2 is going to be needed while using anything that alters Estrogen.

This is massive as its because of this that acne is made worse and PMS and even cancer is such a problem.