Notifications
Clear all

Omega 3, 6, and 9 Fatty Acids

MemberMember
(@bber)

Posted : 02/25/2007 5:04 pm

Ok so I looked at the charts and filled in the amounts of omega 6s and 3s in my diet. If its useful to anyone, here it goes.

Food omega 6 omega 3

6 boiled eggs 3564 234

2 1lb steaks 4200 1580

whey+milk ? ?

2 1lb steaks 4200 1580

whey+milk ? ?

pasta ? ?

Totals 11964 3394

Thats roughly 12g of omega 6s and 3.4g of omega 3. Couldn't find the amounts of omega 6 and 3 in milk. For some reason I thought the ratio would be more skewed towards omega 6s. If the ratio from o6:o3 is based on o6 vs DHA/EPA then the ratio is around 1:1 leaning towards the o3 side. If its based on total oil consumption then my ratio is more like 1:2. Not sure if thats healthy or not, but it sure as hell is doing wonders for my skin.

Edit

Silly me, forgot the 90 some grams of roasted dry peanuts i take throughout the day, so that adds about 14g of more o6s.

nice work!!

so 26000mg o6/ 3400mg o3 gives you a ratio of 7.64:1 of o6/o3

a pretty far cry from 1:1 or an err on the omega 3 side.

so to balance you need to take 26 pills of fish oil!!!!HAHA good luck!!!!

i think you may need to find ways to lower your omega 6 intake unless you are trying to get more of your calories from fat energy which is kinda smart because fats are loaded with energy when burned as a fuel source.

i would say drop the peanuts.

Lowering my omega 6 consumption isnt really an option since I need tons of red meat for the bulk. Sorry about the seeming calculation errors up there, what i meant by 1:2 or 1:1 leaning towards the o3 was after I added the fish oil supplementation to my diet. Also cant drop the peanuts, they are an easy way to pack on calories and protein.

Also I'd like to add that the megadosing of fish oil came about as an attempt to get 10g of DHA/EPA for performance purposes. The great effect it had on my skin were secondary and I hadn't attributed to it until i saw some research suggesting it might help.

MemberMember
(@bobby-digital)

Posted : 02/25/2007 6:43 pm

well this is all very encouraging...i came back to this board the last couple weeks considering a new approach and this fish oil balancing method seems very promising so far. Im going to chart out my omega 6/3s now and hopefully be able to buy some fish oil tomorrow. I'll keep watch and check in when i've got my fish oil and have begun balancing.

MemberMember
(@bcdg36)

Posted : 02/25/2007 7:31 pm

Is it even feasible to balance the o6/o3 intake to a 1:1 ratio?

I mean, o6 is in practically all foods and there doesn't even

seem to be a way to balance it with o3 to a 1:1 without "overdosing"

on the o3. What would be the highest dosage (in grams) that

anyone here would take or have taken a day?

MemberMember
(@bigbeauty)

Posted : 02/25/2007 7:59 pm

Lowering my omega 6 consumption isnt really an option since I need tons of red meat for the bulk. Sorry about the seeming calculation errors up there, what i meant by 1:2 or 1:1 leaning towards the o3 was after I added the fish oil supplementation to my diet. Also cant drop the peanuts, they are an easy way to pack on calories and protein.

Also I'd like to add that the megadosing of fish oil came about as an attempt to get 10g of DHA/EPA for performance purposes. The great effect it had on my skin were secondary and I hadn't attributed to it until i saw some research suggesting it might help.

The problem with omega ratios in red meat and beef is because they are typically grain fed which isn't their natural diet. If you buy grass-fed beef instead, the ratio is much better and is infact can even be better than fish in some cases. The reason why fish is so good I think it comes down to is because most fish we eat have a natural diet. However, the omega ratios for farmed-fish are much more terrible.

Typically you can purchase grass-fed beef at organic/health food stores or online in bulk. Just google grass fed beef for various online sellers. The problem is grass-fed is probably at-least twice as expensive. However, typically grass-fed cattle also are raised much more naturally without tons of anti-biotics, etc pumped in, are free-range, not factory-farmed and hence much healthier overall regardless of the omega ratios. For more info check out http://www.eatwild.com/ .

MemberMember
(@bber)

Posted : 02/25/2007 9:31 pm

The problem with omega ratios in red meat and beef is because they are typically grain fed which isn't their natural diet. If you buy grass-fed beef instead, the ratio is much better and is infact can even be better than fish in some cases. The reason why fish is so good I think it comes down to is because most fish we eat have a natural diet. However, the omega ratios for farmed-fish are much more terrible.

Typically you can purchase grass-fed beef at organic/health food stores or online in bulk. Just google grass fed beef for various online sellers. The problem is grass-fed is probably at-least twice as expensive. However, typically grass-fed cattle also are raised much more naturally without tons of anti-biotics, etc pumped in, are free-range, not factory-farmed and hence much healthier overall regardless of the omega ratios. For more info check out http://www.eatwild.com/ .

Thanks for the heads up on grass-fed cattle. I had actually looked into it but I found it to be too expensive considering the amount of beef i eat every day.

MemberMember
(@bber)

Posted : 02/25/2007 9:31 pm

Is it even feasible to balance the o6/o3 intake to a 1:1 ratio?

I mean, o6 is in practically all foods and there doesn't even

seem to be a way to balance it with o3 to a 1:1 without "overdosing"

on the o3. What would be the highest dosage (in grams) that

anyone here would take or have taken a day?

28grams is the highest i've taken, in the days i get in 7 meals.

MemberMember
(@andoceans109)

Posted : 02/25/2007 11:20 pm

so in a typical day i eat: 1-2 eggs, 3-5 carrots, 8-10 apples, a salad, a little bit of other vegetables, a good amt of meat (turkey and/or beef and/or ham), a slice or 2 of cheese maybe, can or 2 of progresso soup, a lemon, some other fruits, some other stuff but the previous is mostly it..all that and the vitamins and supplements i take. i've been taking a few 1000mg fish oil capsules for the last few days..when i get time (prob tmrw or the next day), i'll look everything up. but from the things listed, what do you think my ratio would be of 6/3 approx without the fish oil im currently taking

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 02/25/2007 11:38 pm

To be brutily honest, I never heard of Omega 6 until I came to the org. What is Omega 6?

MemberMember
(@xtr3m)

Posted : 02/25/2007 11:42 pm

Just so you know...

Health risks

In a letter dated October 31, 2000 entitled Letter Regarding Dietary Supplement Health Claim for omega-3 Fatty Acids and Coronary Heart Disease, the United States Food and Drug Administration Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling, and Dietary Supplements noted that the known or suspected risks of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids may include:

* Increased bleeding can occur if overused (normally over 3 grams per day)

* The possibility of hemorrhagic stroke

* Oxidation of omega-3 fatty acids forming biologically active oxidation products

* Increased levels of low density lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol or apoproteins associated with LDL cholesterol among diabetics and hyperlipidemics

* Reduced glycemic control among diabetics

* Suppression of immune and inflammation responses, and consequently, to decreased resistance to infections and increased susceptibility to opportunistic bacteria

The following risks have been attributed to the FDA but are not mentioned in the above letter:

* A significant potential risk is the possibility of vitamin poisoning from taking large doses of supplements which contain large quantities of vitamins (particularly vitamin A) in addition to omega-3 fatty acids. For this reason, the primary source of omega-3, if taken as a supplement, should be from fish body oil and not from a fish liver based oil.

MemberMember
(@bber)

Posted : 02/26/2007 1:20 am

Just so you know...

Health risks

In a letter dated October 31, 2000 entitled Letter Regarding Dietary Supplement Health Claim for omega-3 Fatty Acids and Coronary Heart Disease, the United States Food and Drug Administration Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling, and Dietary Supplements noted that the known or suspected risks of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids may include:

* Oxidation of omega-3 fatty acids forming biologically active oxidation products

* Increased levels of low density lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol or apoproteins associated with LDL cholesterol among diabetics and hyperlipidemics

* Suppression of immune and inflammation responses, and consequently, to decreased resistance to infections and increased susceptibility to opportunistic bacteria

The following risks have been attributed to the FDA but are not mentioned in the above letter:

* A significant potential risk is the possibility of vitamin poisoning from taking large doses of supplements which contain large quantities of vitamins (particularly vitamin A) in addition to omega-3 fatty acids. For this reason, the primary source of omega-3, if taken as a supplement, should be from fish body oil and not from a fish liver based oil.

That's been posted in this thread already. And two things that i'd like to know is A)How do they come up with an absolute quantity when all toxicity levels are determined in quantities of mg/kg or any other measurement unit dependent upon bodyweight of the subject. And B) which of those effects are "suspected" and which are "known"

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/26/2007 3:06 am

Just so you know...

Health risks

all lies.(well maybe not completely) but why the scare?

so do they have anything to say about omega 6s? i would really like to know.

the medical industry is big bucks and they got there hands(or at least could have) in many peoples pockets.

think about it, insurance companies, pharm companies, hospitals they need to preserve their place in the world.

live a multi-faceted and experianced adult life and you will quickly learn how far some people will go just to earn a buck. and even further to preserve there place in it.

it really happens and sometimes its where people tend to put most of their trust,

have you ever heard the term "trust your doctor?" thats the worst advice ive ever heard!! i dont trust anybody nor anything i dont understand.its like they are saying dont evaluate it, dont think about it, dont question it.

more accuratly you should listen to you doctor very closely and try to see if hes just taking you for a ride or if hes sincere, before you are his goose laying golden eggs experiment. and much poorer and less healthy. This is not true for all doctors.

my point is morality does not pay, the medical industry is a business and as such needs to make a profit.

and the best business to be in is one where people have no choice but to do it your way, nobody knows all the details about how your body works or about they way drugs work, its real easy to manipulate. so thats why self education is the way to go.

how probable? maybe 50/50

how possible 100%

just my opinion though, this is how the world looks through my eyes.

and just to let you know this is the attitude that lead me to the o3/o6 ratio and i dont regret it. If i had been so trusting in the medical establishment and let my imagination be limited by some supposed "authority" i would have never thought it was possible.

I have no respect for authority, that concept means nothing to me, i ALWAYS question everything, thats why my screen name is autonomous one, I dream to be completly self governed, my mind and thought process follows the law that i make up, no one will ever set my mind and limit it. thats freedom to think and imagine.

And many people dont like me because of it, and thats the way i like it, the slick talking people that try to pull a fast one on me stay far away, the users stay far away the guilt tripper stay far away because i never feel obligated to do anything ever.Im almost virtually resistent to manipulation.

sorry ive had a few tonights!!!!!!!beers that is!! enough of my jibber jabber.

Besides all this i still love people and im a good guy.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/26/2007 4:03 am

you are not going to believe this.

find out how sheryl crow beat cancer.

read this

http://www.thecancerblog.com/2006/07/09/sh...-breast-cancer/

yes, all my discoveries and connections from the studies ive read about omega 3s seem to ring true.

here she was seemingly perfectly healthy no smoking at all and no family history of the disease.

and she claims she beat the cancer by eating salmon at every meal, the most fatty fish there is.

just another event linking omega 6s to disease.

and the ratio of 1:1 for o6/o3 for correcting disease.

just blows me away.

MemberMember
(@vincetpimple)

Posted : 02/26/2007 4:38 am

I am taking 3 capsules in the morning and 3 at night..is that too much?

Do you guys swallow them? I can't resist to bite and chew at the capsules..

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 02/26/2007 5:53 am

i used to have really oily skin until i started taking omega 3's as well. i started out with flax and have switched to fish oil since

should I replace flax oil with fish oil? Everyone seems to be praising fish oil. I am following Bob's regime.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 02/26/2007 10:11 am

so in a typical day i eat: 1-2 eggs, 3-5 carrots, 8-10 apples, a salad, a little bit of other vegetables, a good amt of meat (turkey and/or beef and/or ham), a slice or 2 of cheese maybe, can or 2 of progresso soup, a lemon, some other fruits, some other stuff but the previous is mostly it..all that and the vitamins and supplements i take. i've been taking a few 1000mg fish oil capsules for the last few days..when i get time (prob tmrw or the next day), i'll look everything up. but from the things listed, what do you think my ratio would be of 6/3 approx without the fish oil im currently taking

Eating 2 eggs, 3 large carrots, 8 medium apples, salad, turkey, beef & ham (sliced, luncheon) 1 can progresso minestrone, 1 can progresso chicken n rice w/veg, 1 lemon, 1 orange, 2 slices american cheese I came up with:

o3=2289.7 o6=3969.8

Not bad! But, you had better be eating Minestrone, that contributed to 1754 of your o3, an NO o6. I actually have a difficult time believing that....

I'm not doing this for anyone else, I was just bored.

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/26/2007 10:23 am

i used to have really oily skin until i started taking omega 3's as well. i started out with flax and have switched to fish oil since

should I replace flax oil with fish oil? Everyone seems to be praising fish oil. I am following Bob's regime.

I follow his regimen too, except I researched that borage and evening primrose are high in omega 6, so I just take omega 3 (fish oil) for my EFAs

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/26/2007 10:25 am

I am taking 3 capsules in the morning and 3 at night..is that too much?

Do you guys swallow them? I can't resist to bite and chew at the capsules..

I would take only 3, remember, too much of a good thing can be really destructive in the long run. Much like the dangers of megadosing B5, you don't want to be around when you hit bad times. Or what you can do is take 3 a day, for a month, then monitor what happens. Go get a blood test to see if everything is okay, then continue one more per month. Etc etc. Just be careful, your health is important 😀

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/26/2007 10:25 am

you are not going to believe this.

find out how sheryl crow beat cancer.

read this

http://www.thecancerblog.com/2006/07/09/sh...-breast-cancer/

yes, all my discoveries and connections from the studies ive read about omega 3s seem to ring true.

here she was seemingly perfectly healthy no smoking at all and no family history of the disease.

and she claims she beat the cancer by eating salmon at every meal, the most fatty fish there is.

just another event linking omega 6s to disease.

and the ratio of 1:1 for o6/o3 for correcting disease.

just blows me away.

That is unbelievable!! Thank you soooo much for that, very cool find.

Do you happen to know how much omega 3 there is in egg whites?

And how do i track how much omega 3 and 6's there are in each meal I take? I usually have oatmeal, wheaties, wheat toast, egg whites, greens, veggies and fruits. Is there a certain way to find out?

MemberMember
(@shan21)

Posted : 02/26/2007 10:29 am

Omega 3 is awsome along with a healthy diet it is what u need to beat Acne. I take Flax seed with every meal

MemberMember
(@bigbeauty)

Posted : 02/26/2007 10:32 am

Eating 2 eggs, 3 large carrots, 8 medium apples, salad, turkey, beef & ham (sliced, luncheon) 1 can progresso minestrone, 1 can progresso chicken n rice w/veg, 1 lemon, 1 orange, 2 slices american cheese I came up with:

o3=2289.7 o6=3969.8

Not bad! But, you had better be eating Minestrone, that contributed to 1754 of your o3, an NO o6. I actually have a difficult time believing that....

How do you cook your eggs and meat though? Any salid dressing? This can be very misleading IF you cook at all with oils or butter and don't count them.

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/26/2007 10:35 am

Omega 3 is awsome along with a healthy diet it is what u need to beat Acne. I take Flax seed with every meal

Along with plenty of cardio

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 02/26/2007 10:42 am

o3=2289.7 o6=3969.8

How do you cook your eggs and meat though? Any salid dressing? This can be very misleading IF you cook at all with oils or butter and don't count them.

Well, this isn't my diet, it's AndOceans109. Basically, I checked exactly what he gave me. I assumed veggies were raw, meat and eggs were cooked. I used hard boiled eggs data for this, no salad dressing since it wasn't listed, and luncheon meat (as I indicated) since I really don't think he is cooking a ham, a turkey, and making a roast every day 😉

The nutrition data site accounts for pretty much every way you would prepare your food, raw, cooked, fried, boiled, broiled, fast food, canned... whatever you want - it's pretty much there.

xxndnromeoxx

Check your o3/o6 here: http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Bottom of fats/fatty acids section

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/26/2007 10:46 am

Ayla, thank you for the site! I've bookmarked it, perfect :)

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/26/2007 10:48 am

I found something that hit it right on the head

* Transport oxygen from red blood cells to the tissues

* Promote brain development

* Keep saturated fats mobile in the blood stream

* Are an anti-inflammatory (rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease)

* Regulate pressure in the eye, joints, and blood vessels, and mediating immune response

* Regulate bodily secretions and their viscosity

* Dilate or constricting blood vessels

* Regulate collateral circulation

* Reduces blood pressure / Dilates blood vessels

* Regulate cell division rate

* Maintain the fluidity and rigidity of cellular membranes

* Regulate the inflow and outflow of substances to and from cells

* Direct endocrine hormones to their target cells

* Maintain proper kidney function and fluid balance

* Prevent blood cells from clumping together (blood clots that can be a cause of heart attack and stroke)

* Regulate smooth muscles and autonomic reflexes

* Regulate nerve transmission and communication

* Support cardiovascular health

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 02/26/2007 10:51 am

Ayla, thank you for the site! I've bookmarked it, perfect 🙂

AutonomousOne198... gave it to me, I'd actually been there before, but only for calorie listings. It had never even occured to me to check o3/6's there! Post what kind of a ratio your daily diet is at. Mine was 1:8, 3/6 respectively. (man that's bad!)