Notifications
Clear all

Omega 3, 6, and 9 Fatty Acids

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:53 am

I just asked my dad what he thinks. Hes a paramedic and has been in the medical field for thirty some years. He is worried that if I take more than is directed to on the bottle that something bad could happen to me. I think for now I will just stick to the directions and take it twice a day.

MemberMember
(@case-n)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:55 am

Health Risks if overdosed:

* Increased bleeding can occur if overused (normally over 3 grams per day)

* The possibility of hemorrhagic stroke

* Oxidation of omega-3 fatty acids forming biologically active oxidation products

* Increased levels of low density lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol or apoproteins associated with LDL cholesterol among diabetics and hyperlipidemics

* Reduced glycemic control among diabetics

* Suppression of immune and inflammation responses, and consequently, to decreased resistance to infections and increased susceptibility to opportunistic bacteria

I'm sticking to 3 grams

When you post such information could you also post references. thx

MemberMember
(@bber)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:55 am

* Oxidation of omega-3 fatty acids forming biologically active oxidation products

* Increased levels of low density lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol or apoproteins associated with LDL cholesterol among diabetics and hyperlipidemics

* Suppression of immune and inflammation responses, and consequently, to decreased resistance to infections and increased susceptibility to opportunistic bacteria

I'm sticking to 3 grams

Im curious as to what medical study you found these side effects from. Especially since the 3 gram marker seems suspicious, it should be a unit based on mg/kg of body mass. Link us up?

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/25/2007 1:09 am

I'm sticking to 3 grams

Oh sorry about that, I found that on wikipedia. I don't trust the site itself, but the actual quotation/summary was from this governmental link

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/ds-ltr11.html

Not to say they're right or we're wrong, but overdosing scares me so I will stick to the normal suggested levels.

In all fairness, another site said that 3-8 does not show adverse side effects, so I'm just not sure right now, I'll post more when I find more information. I guess anything under 8 grams are fine?

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/25/2007 1:13 am

The University of Iowa Cancer Center, Iowa City, 52242, USA. [email protected]

The purpose of this study was to determine the maximum tolerated dose and dose-limiting toxicities of fish oil fatty acid capsules containing omega-3 fatty acid ethyl esters. Twenty-two patients with neoplastic disease not amenable to curative therapy who had lost 2% of body weight over a previous 1 month time period were given an escalating dose of fish oil fatty acids. The maximum tolerated dose was found to be 0.3 g/kg per day of this preparation. This means that a 70-kg patient can generally tolerate up to 21 1-g capsules/day containing 13.1 g of eicosapentaenoic acid + docosahexaenoic acid, the two major omega-3 fatty acids. Dose-limiting toxicity was gastrointestinal, mainly diarrhea, and a poorly described toxicity designated as "unable to tolerate in esophagus or stomach." A patient with chronic lymphocytic leukemia taking the fish oil provided an unusual opportunity to perform a detailed biochemical study of the effect of fish oil capsules on the lipids of malignant cells at several sequential time points in treatment. Studies of the malignant lymphocytes, serum, and whole blood of this one patient revealed an increase in eicosapentaenoic acid, the major component of the fish oil capsules, during fish oil capsule treatment. This study provides a scientific basis for the selection of omega-3 fatty acid doses for future studies in cancer. The maximum tolerated dose found is considerably higher than anticipated from published studies of many human diseases. The observation of a modification of the lipids of leukemic cells, serum, and blood in a patient with chronic leukemia provides a biochemical basis for a possible effect of fish oil supplements on cancer cachexia and tumor growth.

link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...p;dopt=Abstract

Prisco D; Paniccia R; Bandinelli B; Filippini M; Francalanci I; Giusti B; Giurlani L; Gensini GF; Abbate R; Neri Serneri GG

Institute of Clinica Medica Generale e Cardiologia, University of Florence, Italy.

Several studies have shown that n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 PUFA) are able to lower blood pressure (BP) in humans, but large doses of fish oils have been often used. Moreover, most of the studies available in the literature were not able to evaluate the specific effects of n-3 PUFA because they employed fish oils which contain, together with n-3 PUFA, many other different components. The aim of this preliminary study was to evaluate if medium-term supplementation with a moderate dose of highly purified eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) ethyl esters is able to reduce BP in mild hypertensive patients. Sixteen mild essential hypertensive (diastolic BP: 95-104 mm Hg), non-diabetic, normolipidemic male outpatients and 16 normotensive male controls were recruited to participate in the study. Both hypertensive and control subjects were randomly assigned to receive either EPA and DHA ethyl esters (2.04 g EPA and 1.4 g DHA) as active treatment or olive oil (4 g/day) as a placebo for a period of 4 months. These subjects were followed up with 24-hour ambulatory BP monitoring and blood chemistry analyses at 2 and 4 months of treatment and 2 months after its discontinuation. The intake of n-3 PUFA was checked by red blood cell (RBC) phosphatidylcholine (PC) fatty acid composition. The effect of n-3 PUFA on BP in the active group was maximum after 2 months. Both systolic (-6 mm Hg, p<0.05) and diastolic (-5 mm Hg, p<0.05) BP significantly decreased during the n-3 PUFA ethyl ester supplementation. No further effect was observed at 4 months with a return to baseline values during the recovery period. These data indicate that 4 g/day of highly purified EPA + DHA ethyl esters are able to favorably affect BP in mild hypertensives.

link: http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/9733153

Young GS; Conquer JA; Thomas R

Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 5B6, Canada.

Dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids has been positively correlated with cardiovascular and neuropsychiatric health in several studies. The high seafood intake by the Japanese and Greenland Inuit has resulted in low ratios of the omega-6 fatty acid arachidonic acid (AA, 20:4n-6) to eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, 20:5n-3), with the Japanese showing AA:EPA ratios of approximately 1.7 and the Greenland Eskimos showing ratios of approximately 0.14. It was the objective of this study to determine the effect of supplementation with high doses (60 g) of flax and fish oils on the blood phospholipid (PL) fatty acid status, and AA/EPA ratio of individuals with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), commonly associated with decreased blood omega-3 fatty acid levels. Thirty adults with ADHD were randomized to 12 weeks of supplementation with olive oil (< 1% omega-3 fatty acids), flax oil (source of alpha-linolenic acid; 18:3n-3; alpha-LNA) or fish oil (source of EPA and docosahexaenoic acid; 22:6n-3; DHA). Serum PL fatty acid levels were determined at baseline and at 12 weeks. Flax oil supplementation resulted in an increase in alpha-LNA and a slight decrease in the ratio of AA/EPA, while fish oil supplementation resulted in increases in EPA, DHA and total omega-3 fatty acids and a decrease in the AA/EPA ratio to values seen in the Japanese population. These data suggest that in order to increase levels of EPA and DHA in adults with ADHD, and decrease the AA/EPA ratio to levels seen in high fish consuming populations, high dose fish oil may be preferable to high dose flax oil. Future study is warranted to determine whether correction of low levels of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids is of therapeutic benefit in this population.

link: http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/16188207

Unfortunately, none these have a thing to do w/acne, but they do show some very high doses being safely taken.

wow i can take that much? 60 grams seems like alot.

Thanks for joining me at the research front, now people wont think im making all this stuff up.hehe

MemberMember
(@bber)

Posted : 02/25/2007 1:13 am

I'm sticking to 3 grams

Oh sorry about that, I found that on wikipedia. I don't trust the site itself, but the actual quotation/summary was from this governmental link

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/ds-ltr11.html

Not to say they're right or we're wrong, but overdosing scares me so I will stick to the normal suggested levels.

In all fairness, another site said that 3-8 does not show adverse side effects, so I'm just not sure right now, I'll post more when I find more information. I guess anything under 8 grams are fine?

i've been taking 24g for almost a month now, i'll let you guys know if i die, or something =P

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/25/2007 1:15 am

Sigh, so much information and I don't know what to do. I think we stress out half the time from just researching lol

MemberMember
(@case-n)

Posted : 02/25/2007 1:25 am

i've been taking 24g for almost a month now, i'll let you guys know if i die, or something =P

Oh yeah totally let us know if you die. I would consider dying a negative, just me tho

MemberMember
(@bigbeauty)

Posted : 02/25/2007 1:41 am

For what its worth, Dr. Cordain the paleo diet advocate in "Dietary Cure for Acne" recommends taking 2-4 g of both EPA and DHA. And I think this already assumes you're on a high omega-3 diet (fish, grass-fed beef, flax oil, oils with relatively descent omega 3/6 ratios).

MemberMember
(@andoceans109)

Posted : 02/25/2007 4:30 am

I got a question about that. On Friday I purchased Omega 3 Fish oil supplements from GNC (1000 mgs) It says on the bottle to take it once to twice a day. If I took it three times a day is that considered an overdose? Sorry if thats a stupid question but I need to know the answer

lol you just uh lost your right to give anyone advice for anything on this board brother

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 02/25/2007 5:46 am

What? You have a weird sense of humor

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/25/2007 10:29 am

Also one of my main concerns is the high LDL levels. Fish oil raises bad cholestorol (ldl) in some people, it happened to my family when they went to take their blood test. Upon stopping, and switching to flax, it went away. So taking more than suggested may be a bit dangerous for myself, along with the fact that it thins the blood. Which could be scary.

But we all differ in our bodies, just monitor yourself and see how things go.

Good luck and be safe :)

Get a blood test for sure if you've been on it a while and see what happens

MemberMember
(@hrq271)

Posted : 02/25/2007 11:44 am

Flax oil is not bad per se, though probably less effective in balancing the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. I'm a vegetarian, so I just take flax, though (although there are a few vegetarian DHA supplements). The only real benefit to taking flax if you're not a vegetarian, though, is that there's no chance of mercury.

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:17 pm

Flax oil is not bad per se, though probably less effective in balancing the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. I'm a vegetarian, so I just take flax, though (although there are a few vegetarian DHA supplements). The only real benefit to taking flax if you're not a vegetarian, though, is that there's no chance of mercury.

Fish oil is without mercury (the pills) so that's fine as well

MemberMember
(@hrq271)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:29 pm

Hmm, whenever I read about fish oil, the recommendation is always: buy a high-quality brand, so that there is no mercury. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's just what I've read.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 02/25/2007 1:01 pm

Maybe Im wrong but most omega 3 supplements these days dont put mercury in them

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 02/25/2007 1:07 pm

No, no one puts mercury into them. Mercury is a heavy metal that never entirely dissipates , i.e. it has a continual half-life. Many bottom feeding fish have significant mercury levels due to this. These same fish are rich in fats to insulate them from the colder temps at the bottom of the ocean, hence they are often used in supplements.

MemberMember
(@legend)

Posted : 02/25/2007 1:55 pm

Which is why they purify fish oil in a multi step process.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/25/2007 2:21 pm

I'm sticking to 3 grams

Im curious as to what medical study you found these side effects from. Especially since the 3 gram marker seems suspicious, it should be a unit based on mg/kg of body mass. Link us up?

consider this. 3 ozs of salmon contain a little over 2 grams, and you could easliy eat about eight ounces in just one meal, thats 5 grams of omega 3 in one meal so image if you ate three meals a day of salmon, that would equal to about 15 grams omega 3 and if you could afford to eat salmon at every meal you'd be one healty mofo so even at 15 grams youre still within a very natural range, and for answers like these always look to nature and what is naturally consumable for the answer.

you got nothing to worry about, i would think anything over 20 grams would be over doing it, plus its all about maintaing a fat ratio, so it all depends on how many omega 6s you eat, if you have a really good diet and manage to only eat three grams of total omega 6s, which seems hard to do, then you would only need three grams to balance it out, so definitly analyze your regular diet and see how many foods you eat have excessive omega 6, check out this site http://www.nutritiondata.com/

MemberMember
(@arcadefire)

Posted : 02/25/2007 2:37 pm

i'm a bit confused about the omega 3/6 1:1 ratio deal

can someone please explain to me because i've gone to the site and i don't understand it =[

or to just put it plainly, would it be perfectly fine to take one capsule in the morning and one at night?

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/25/2007 2:56 pm

i'm a bit confused about the omega 3/6 1:1 ratio deal

can someone please explain to me because i've gone to the site and i don't understand it =[

or to just put it plainly, would it be perfectly fine to take one capsule in the morning and one at night?

first you need to know aproximatley how much omega 6s are currently in your diet in grams, 1000mg =1 gram

look up the foods you eat at this site http://www.nutritiondata.com/

the omega 6 and 3 amounts will be in the bottom left hand corner of the page for any food they have in their database.

once you find your intake of omega 3s match it gram to gram with fish oil to achieve a 1:1 ratio. its ok to actually err on the omega 3 side of the ratio.

if you find your diet requires you to take to many fish oil capsules to balance it out, eat less omega 6, in fact that should be something to also work on, avoid any food that are really high in omega 6s check out the specs in the bottom to the left for 1 cup of cashews http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20pB.html

MemberMember
(@bber)

Posted : 02/25/2007 3:36 pm

Ok so I looked at the charts and filled in the amounts of omega 6s and 3s in my diet. If its useful to anyone, here it goes.

Food omega 6 omega 3

6 boiled eggs 3564 234

2 1lb steaks 4200 1580

whey+milk ? ?

2 1lb steaks 4200 1580

whey+milk ? ?

pasta ? ?

Totals 11964 3394

Thats roughly 12g of omega 6s and 3.4g of omega 3. Couldn't find the amounts of omega 6 and 3 in milk. For some reason I thought the ratio would be more skewed towards omega 6s. If the ratio from o6:o3 is based on o6 vs DHA/EPA then the ratio is around 1:1 leaning towards the o3 side. If its based on total oil consumption then my ratio is more like 1:2. Not sure if thats healthy or not, but it sure as hell is doing wonders for my skin.

Edit

Silly me, forgot the 90 some grams of roasted dry peanuts i take throughout the day, so that adds about 14g of more o6s.

MemberMember
(@arcadefire)

Posted : 02/25/2007 4:48 pm

oh okay thanks! and another question :

does fish oil help the oil or the acne in general?

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/25/2007 4:51 pm

Ok so I looked at the charts and filled in the amounts of omega 6s and 3s in my diet. If its useful to anyone, here it goes.

Food omega 6 omega 3

6 boiled eggs 3564 234

2 1lb steaks 4200 1580

whey+milk ? ?

2 1lb steaks 4200 1580

whey+milk ? ?

pasta ? ?

Totals 11964 3394

Thats roughly 12g of omega 6s and 3.4g of omega 3. Couldn't find the amounts of omega 6 and 3 in milk. For some reason I thought the ratio would be more skewed towards omega 6s. If the ratio from o6:o3 is based on o6 vs DHA/EPA then the ratio is around 1:1 leaning towards the o3 side. If its based on total oil consumption then my ratio is more like 1:2. Not sure if thats healthy or not, but it sure as hell is doing wonders for my skin.

Edit

Silly me, forgot the 90 some grams of roasted dry peanuts i take throughout the day, so that adds about 14g of more o6s.

nice work!!

so 26000mg o6/ 3400mg o3 gives you a ratio of 7.64:1 of o6/o3

a pretty far cry from 1:1 or an err on the omega 3 side.

so to balance you need to take 26 pills of fish oil!!!!HAHA good luck!!!!

i think you may need to find ways to lower your omega 6 intake unless you are trying to get more of your calories from fat energy which is kinda smart because fats are loaded with energy when burned as a fuel source.

i would say drop the peanuts.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/25/2007 4:53 pm

this is one reason why im so enthusiastic about balancing omega 6/3s

Exp Mol Pathol. 2006 Dec;81(3):202-10. Epub 2006 Sep 1. Links

Polyunsaturated fatty acid regulation of gene expression.

Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA.

Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), specifically the n-3 series, have been implicated in the prevention of various human diseases, including obesity, diabetes, coronary heart disease and stroke, and inflammatory and neurologic diseases. PUFAs function mainly by altering membrane lipid composition, cellular metabolism, signal transduction, and regulation of gene expression. PUFAs regulate the expression of genes in various tissues, including the liver, heart, adipose tissue, and brain. The role of transcription factors such as SREBP1c and nuclear receptors such as PPAR-alpha, HNF-4alpha, and LXRalpha in mediating the nuclear effects of PUFAs are addressed.