Notifications
Clear all

ACNE DIET, CLEANSING & LEAKY GUT SYNDROME RESOURCE GUIDE

MemberMember
(@whitey)

Posted : 05/29/2007 4:59 pm

hey

where can i go to gest tested on what foods might be causing my acne?

MemberMember
(@martyp8617)

Posted : 06/03/2007 10:30 pm

hey

where can i go to gest tested on what foods might be causing my acne?

MemberMember
(@livesinabox)

Posted : 06/29/2007 2:02 pm

The leaky gut syndrome part of this thread needs some attention! And anything that has to do with digestive problems. I only just noticed this "pinned" topic today, as i suddenly worked out what LGS means

I started an anti LGS regime just under 4 weeks ago, and it's working a treat for me so far (pics in gallery under profile) - just waiting for time to pass to see if i'm right or not (100% clear is the only goal for me). I haven't messed with my diet too much, or removed any whole food groups (like grains, dairy) - and i still occasionally have really "bad" foods. So somethings definitely helping, LGS, digestion or what - as it's working i don't really care!

Any of the original posters still around?

MemberMember
(@eric_in_va)

Posted : 02/20/2008 3:59 pm

What do you think of peppermint tea used to control androgens?

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/lofiver...php/t27791.html

- Eric

MemberMember
(@serkios)

Posted : 02/24/2008 4:26 pm

MemberMember
(@nil)

Posted : 02/24/2008 4:40 pm

That's a lot of really useful information.

I and a lot of other people would agree with you that the problem stems from digestive issues.

My regimen consists of a low sugar and carb diet, probiotics and prebiotics, and taking psyllium husks for fibre. I also eat soya yoghurt that contains bifidus, this is to control DHT.

My skin has been slowly improving for months, I'm not at the point yet where I can say I'm clear but if I keep improving then it isn't far off.

I wish you every success!

MemberMember
(@dwhaa)

Posted : 02/24/2008 4:57 pm

serkios,

I am so with you on so much of this. Magazines and articles link lack of enzymes in your system, (as you get older, the less you have) to acne, hair loss, etc., since the nutrition in your food isn't absorbed. Also, antibiotics and all the sugar/starch we do eat is a big factor for most in regards to yeast infections and not having "friendly flora" Adding stress to the mix is something we all have to deal with. It gets worse as we stress about our face and our appearance.

Good luck, I will follow you to see what works!

DWHAA

MemberMember
(@bchapais)

Posted : 02/24/2008 6:34 pm

Oh my.. this is a very interesting thread. I have alot in common with you! I stated an anti candida diet 6 weeks ago, with a nutritionist. I've been taking the herbs you mentioned, (switching every week) and following a very strict diet. Rice pasta and brown rice were ok. Also taking probiotics, but she recently found an article about fermented cabbage juice, this is an excellent source (and cheap) of good bacteria. Tastes like sauerkraut. Go to eregimens.com look for cultured cabbage juice.

So all of what you reported has clicked for me. I'm anxious to see your results. Oh so after I eliminated sugar my acne cleared, but I'm not out of the leaky gut woods yet.

Does the book say how long this may take? Well keep us posted!

serkios,

I am so with you on so much of this. Magazines and articles link lack of enzymes in your system, (as you get older, the less you have) to acne, hair loss, etc., since the nutrition in your food isn't absorbed. Also, antibiotics and all the sugar/starch we do eat is a big factor for most in regards to yeast infections and not having "friendly flora" Adding stress to the mix is something we all have to deal with. It gets worse as we stress about our face and our appearance.

Good luck, I will follow you to see what works!

DWHAA

MemberMember
(@treefeet)

Posted : 02/24/2008 6:52 pm

I still don't see how the skin expelling toxins is related to acne. No where in the commonly accepted pathogenesis of acne will you see anything about toxins being related to the formation of acne. I do believe leaky gut is a real problem and I can see how it would degrade overall health, but I don't see any way it majorly contributes to acne.

MemberMember
(@serkios)

Posted : 02/24/2008 7:03 pm

Does the book say how long this may take?
MemberMember
(@nil)

Posted : 02/24/2008 7:15 pm

I still don't see how the skin expelling toxins is related to acne. No where in the commonly accepted pathogenesis of acne will you see anything about toxins being related to the formation of acne. I do believe leaky gut is a real problem and I can see how it would degrade overall health, but I don't see any way it majorly contributes to acne.
MemberMember
(@serkios)

Posted : 02/24/2008 7:17 pm

MemberMember
(@treefeet)

Posted : 02/24/2008 7:21 pm

I'm no expert, but I think it's related to the inflammation of acne, and possibly also the metabolism of hormones being affected.

If your body is having trouble dealing with toxins, it upsets the hormonal balance, which plays havoc with sebum and skin shedding, causing the blockages in pores. Perhaps then the cause of inflammation is your body reacting to the toxic build up originating in your gut by responding to any kind of infection, and therefore over-reacting to p. acne's in the blocked pores, causing inflammation.

Just my thoughts, I have thought along the same lines are you were, but that's a possible answer. Makes sense to me until someone tells me I'm wrong

MemberMember
(@serkios)

Posted : 02/24/2008 7:26 pm

If leaky gut plays a role in upsetting hormone imbalance, then I can see how it could indirectly cause acne. Does anyone know if/how leaky gut specifically affects hormone levels?
MemberMember
(@treefeet)

Posted : 02/24/2008 9:47 pm

If leaky gut plays a role in upsetting hormone imbalance, then I can see how it could indirectly cause acne. Does anyone know if/how leaky gut specifically affects hormone levels?

Well I'm not sure about directly... but one of the liver's functions is to break down unused hormones in the body if it doesn't need them. I guess its possible that if the liver is over-saturated with breaking down toxins from digestion, the body could build up a lot of extra hormones that are waiting on the liver.

MemberMember
(@serkios)

Posted : 02/24/2008 10:05 pm

The liver doesn't break down unused hormones, it regulates levels of "free" (bioavailable) hormones by releasing a protein called Sex Hormone Binding Globulin. I've never seen a study that shows a reduced production of SHBG caused by the liver being over-loaded with toxins. It's actually mainly the job of the kidneys to filter toxins from the blood.
MemberMember
(@jemini)

Posted : 02/24/2008 10:53 pm

Yeah, I got back from a naturopath and I am essentially following the same regimen. Low carb, no grains, no fruit. I have had cystic acne for years and accutane has accomplished nothing.

Your regimen looks pretty solid and realistic, the only thing I would consider would be a good source of probiotics. I recommend making kefir since it is really easy, cheaper and way more potent than any supplement you could ever buy at the store. And even foods like yogurt at the grocery store probably aren't that potent since I think many brands are pasteurized again before hitting shelves, in order to slow down/stop the fermenting process on the grocery shelves.

MemberMember
(@dietfightingacne06)

Posted : 04/14/2008 6:52 pm

I cured my acne by changing my diet. It is now completely 100% gone. Diet is the CURE!

[Removed]

Sorry that my voice sounds distorted, the camera sort of screwed it up.

MemberMember
(@tasha90)

Posted : 05/03/2008 10:29 am

bump

MemberMember
(@user47728)

Posted : 05/03/2008 11:14 am

That's a lot of great info. Since I started taking glucomannan fiber, I found out that it thickens the lining of the intestines, helping to heal leaky gut if you have it. It may be one reason that it has helped me so much.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 05/03/2008 6:15 pm

i believe that most people with acne have leaky gut, they simply do not know

MemberMember
(@chrisaus)

Posted : 05/03/2008 8:40 pm

didn't have time to read replies but i will say I believe that leaky gut is the only cause of acne. I beleive every single person who has acne has a leaky gut. If i keep up the soluble fiber intake, it gives my insides a chance to heal but if i decrease the intake my leaky gut symptoms come back.

MemberMember
(@mrfabolous)

Posted : 05/04/2008 9:34 am

Hello :)

I also got leaky gut/mild candida disease and I got clear (100%) in one week after cutting out fruits from my Paleo Diet.

Im taking following supplements:

Cod Liver Oil

Vitamin C

Chromium

Vitamin D

Zinc

Psyllium Husks

Magnesium and Calcium

Im soon taking:

Udo's Choice Probiotics

Cinnamon Supplement

What other stuff would you recommend me to take, as I try to cure myself from this disease? I know this was what caused my acne since I cleared up after changing my diet. So now I think I got it under controlg with my new diet, and that is such a great feeling. But I would still like to go a little further :)

Im looking forward to start taking my Probiotics as I hope they will help aswell.

MemberMember
(@thunder_cloud)

Posted : 05/04/2008 8:21 pm

Thanks for the info and your research. Everything you described really rings true with me and definitely connects a lot of the dots. About 5 years ago I was on antibiotics, probably consistently for a year or more. Since then Ive been experiencing fluctuating digestive problems, generally growing progressively worse, which have coincided with fluctuating acne. The last year or so Ive begun developing hypersensitivities to lots of different foods like wheat, sugar, peanut butter, milk, etc.. Ingestion of these foods, mainly high carb grains, sugar, and high sugar fruit can cause massive flare ups in my acne. After reading some of the post on this board I assumed that my acne was being caused by insulin resistance from sugar/carbs as well as specific food allergies. A little over a month ago I decided to go on a low carb/ high protein/fat diet and within a week I was seeing a dramatic reduction in my acne. Strangely I simultaneously began to develop strange skin rashes(definitely not acne) in various parts of my body like around the outside of my eyes, legs, genital region. I've been happy my acne is clearing up but Ive been clueless as to what was going on. Reading a recent post that mentioned the connection of candida/yeast with a white tongue, which Ive also had for years, all the pieces have begun to fall together for me. The low carb/zero sugar diet I've been on is pretty much an anti-candida diet. The diet has been slowly starving the candida causing a gradual die off, resulting in the developing yeast infected rashes on my body. My food allergies and sensitivities also make total sense in light of all this as well and why any sugar makes me break out..its food for the candida!! I'm really convinced that candida and the imbalance of microflora brought about through antibiotics is root cause of my adult acne, digestive problems, and food allergies. My teenage was very different and was probably just hormones.

Thanks for bringing it all together for me!! Now that I know whats going on in my body I'm confident that I will be able to take my regimen one step further and really cure my acne and other problems. Last night I started taking a candida cleanse supplement as well as oregano oil extract, and the rash around my eye has already started clearing up and I actually had a perfect bowel movement today..wow!! I think its working so quickly since Ive already been slowly killing it with my low carb diet for the past month or so. I hope to eventually be able to consume grain products and sweet fruits once I get the candida in check and beneficial bacteria re-established!!

MemberMember
(@thunder_cloud)

Posted : 05/04/2008 8:27 pm

I really want to try kefir but I'm afraid because of my digestive problems and issues with milk. Any suggestions? Maybe I'll try some in a couple weeks once the candida cleanse supplements have had time to work their magic.