Notifications
Clear all

Acne returning post-accutane

MemberMember
(@kay789)

Posted : 08/18/2017 1:03 pm

I had acne for almost 15 years before I went on accutane.

When I finally had the courage to go on it, the results were miraculous. For 4 months, nothing, then BOOM. I was clear. For three months after my course, I was still clear. Then the acne returned... mild, at first, but after a couple of months I'm back to where I started.

It's so much worse now, mentally. Like, before, I was used to it, but now I've had 4 months on the other side and it sucks, knowing how great it is to have clear skin. How much time I saved. How much better I felt about myself.

My doctor doesn't think I should go back on it - says I could buy a little more time, but he doesn't expect enough long term results to outweight the health risks. I guess I agree.

But it still sucks.

Anyway, just venting. Thanks for listening.

MemberMember
(@aylia)

Posted : 08/19/2017 10:50 am

How much dose were u taking?
and what was the duration?

20 hours ago, Kay789 said:

I had acne for almost 15 years before I went on accutane.

When I finally had the courage to go on it, the results were miraculous. For 4 months, nothing, then BOOM. I was clear. For three months after my course, I was still clear. Then the acne returned... mild, at first, but after a couple of months I'm back to where I started.

It's so much worse now, mentally. Like, before, I was used to it, but now I've had 4 months on the other side and it sucks, knowing how great it is to have clear skin. How much time I saved. How much better I felt about myself.

My doctor doesn't think I should go back on it - says I could buy a little more time, but he doesn't expect enough long term results to outweight the health risks. I guess I agree.

But it still sucks.

Anyway, just venting. Thanks for listening.

How much dose were you taking?
and what was the duration?

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@cnuggers)

Posted : 08/25/2017 12:01 pm

As Aylia asked, your dose and total accumulation are very important to whether you relapse. You may have to wait a little longer before going back on it, but you should be safe for a second course soon so long as your blood is tested and comes back with healthy results. It is a lot less likely to come back after a second course. Bht make sure you get a total of at least 150mg/kg body weight.

MemberMember
(@scarredbycysts)

Posted : 08/26/2017 8:59 am

Wow you sound exactly like me. I had acne from 12 years of age to 27 (15 years). I asked for accutane at 27 and took 11,910mg over the course of six months. I haven't had a cyst since then *touch wood* but I still get bright red spots every now and again. It seems to be linked to sugar. Now I will hopefully be starting on retin A 0.025% to clear my complexion a bit.

MemberMember
(@aylia)

Posted : 08/28/2017 12:03 am

On 8/25/2017 at 10:01 PM, Cnuggers said:

As Aylia asked, your dose and total accumulation are very important to whether you relapse. You may have to wait a little longer before going back on it, but you should be safe for a second course soon so long as your blood is tested and comes back with healthy results. It is a lot less likely to come back after a second course. Bht make sure you get a total of at least 150mg/kg body weight.

Yes a total of 7,500 mgs atleasttttt