Notifications
Clear all

down 🙁

MemberMember
(@lonergirl)

Posted : 08/17/2017 6:35 pm

I have varying severity of acne since puberty (in my 40s now).  Sometimes can be clear or a little red patch a day or two, etc, but other times deep acne and a very angry red face.  I hate going to doctors so have never gone for this and mostly spent my life hiding out, I guess.  But I divorced and have to at least go out to buy groceries ( I work at home).  I'm not close to the point it's the worse it's ever been so I guess to me that looks pretty good.  I've hardly seen my family through the years but recently moved closer to them, so now they've gotten to see me with more  than I dared showed before.  Even after I had warned them in email I get acne, one of them sends email expressing concern about the state of my face and that I should get it checked out that's it's not more serious than stress, etc.  How embarrassing.  Now I just not want to go out anymore knowing that others really do notice.  My complexion/tone is such that any irritation will redden it, the smallest bump, and I'm not skilled with makeup.  

If I thought going to a doctor would cure, I would, but reading others stories, it seems like it's just a guessing game, the cause(s) and treatments tend to not work after a time, have side effects, etc.  I am also just stubborn and hate having to do things alone, and it's also something I'm not sure I can throw much time and money at, being alone.  Plus I'll still  have all the scars and messed up complexion , forever, and forever will I be ... not looking good.

I'm not sure what I should say or do.  This family member also used to have acne and I can see  some scars, so it would have been nice to know what helped or did it just stop on its own.  He must not have ever breakouts as bad as me.

I just feel destroyed.  No one understands. :(

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 08/18/2017 4:39 am

im in my 30s now but i cant help thinking how lucky these young people with acne are now.. when i was growing up ( an i assume its the same for you) the only places i had information about acne was from either my GP(who had no time for me), acne myths or stupid treatments told to me by family members. - i was washing my face x5 times a day with soap containing SLS, using harsh acne creams etc and going out of the house with a bright red, really bad acne covered skin.. and this went on for years.

.. what im trying to say is, with the internet and all the information we have online you cant give up.. there is lots of things you can try to sort out your skin. you just need to do your research and find the correct type of treatment for your skin type.