Notifications
Clear all

My acne is fueling my depression, I can't leave the house.

MemberMember
(@msreefer)

Posted : 03/02/2017 4:20 pm

Hi, my name is Mina and I've had acne sine I was eleven years old(I mean like zits and cysts), I'm nineteen now. Though I don't get cysts anymore I'm constantly plagued with whiteheads and under the skin zits. I simply cannot stand it anymore. I'm always depressed and I physically can't leave the house with my skin broken out. Over the 8 years I've had my acne I've tried everything, EVERYTHING, except prescription medication. I have a thing against putting chemicals in my body. I don't even drink soda or eat candy or take asprin to put that into perspective. My current regimen is just washing with water and letting my natural oils do their thing cause I'm sick and tired of wasting my money of topical ointments that don't work. I don't wear makeup and I've been using this regimen for about two months now. it's better but still pretty bad. I'm a really healthy human being asides from my skin condition. I'm in great shape, I eat good, I get my vitamin D, and I'm outside everyday. But I haven't had my period in a year. But my hormones aren't like super crazy, I just haven't had my cycle. I'm also a huge picker cause I'm constantly under loads of stress. I don't know how to stop! I've tried meditating, focusing on other things, but it always gets the best of me! I'll have a pick fest, it'll heal after a week, my skin will be clearer and then suddenly BAM it'll be like acne armageddon and it's bad, I mean BAD. Then I'll pick and the cycle will continue. Please, doesn't anyone understand? I can't talk to any of my peers because I'm literally the only one with acne. I can't go to work, or to the store, or even hang out with my friends because I'm so disgusted. I just need to know someone understands. What else can I do?

MemberMember
(@putmeoutofmymiserynow)

Posted : 03/02/2017 6:00 pm

1 hour ago, MsReefer said:

Hi, my name is Mina and I've had acne sine I was eleven years old(I mean like zits and cysts), I'm nineteen now. Though I don't get cysts anymore I'm constantly plagued with whiteheads and under the skin zits. I simply cannot stand it anymore. I'm always depressed and I physically can't leave the house with my skin broken out. Over the 8 years I've had my acne I've tried everything, EVERYTHING, except prescription medication. I have a thing against putting chemicals in my body. I don't even drink soda or eat candy or take asprin to put that into perspective. My current regimen is just washing with water and letting my natural oils do their thing cause I'm sick and tired of wasting my money of topical ointments that don't work. I don't wear makeup and I've been using this regimen for about two months now. it's better but still pretty bad. I'm a really healthy human being asides from my skin condition. I'm in great shape, I eat good, I get my vitamin D, and I'm outside everyday. But I haven't had my period in a year. But my hormones aren't like super crazy, I just haven't had my cycle. I'm also a huge picker cause I'm constantly under loads of stress. I don't know how to stop! I've tried meditating, focusing on other things, but it always gets the best of me! I'll have a pick fest, it'll heal after a week, my skin will be clearer and then suddenly BAM it'll be like acne armageddon and it's bad, I mean BAD. Then I'll pick and the cycle will continue. Please, doesn't anyone understand? I can't talk to any of my peers because I'm literally the only one with acne. I can't go to work, or to the store, or even hang out with my friends because I'm so disgusted. I just need to know someone understands. What else can I do?

if you need someone to talk to i am here

MsReefer liked
MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/03/2017 12:03 am

Hey hun.
I feel for you. I know how upsetting and mentally managing acne can be (its caused me to have suicidal thoughts so I know how bad it can get). I was going to recommend you seeing a gp/doctor about trying antibiotics but I get how your not wanting to use chemicals. Do you think though that maybe seeing someone, a gp or doctor that you trust and are comfortable with and telling them that you dont want chemicals and maybe they can suggest something else. Im not sure what since you have tried so much but it might still be worth it if the acne is causing this much trouble. Acne isnt worth feeling this bad over. Just know that im here if you want to talk. Your not alone in this.

MemberMember
(@msreefer)

Posted : 03/03/2017 9:49 am

9 hours ago, Rachie39 said:

Hey hun.
I feel for you. I know how upsetting and mentally managing acne can be (its caused me to have suicidal thoughts so I know how bad it can get). I was going to recommend you seeing a gp/doctor about trying antibiotics but I get how your not wanting to use chemicals. Do you think though that maybe seeing someone, a gp or doctor that you trust and are comfortable with and telling them that you dont want chemicals and maybe they can suggest something else. Im not sure what since you have tried so much but it might still be worth it if the acne is causing this much trouble. Acne isnt worth feeling this bad over. Just know that im here if you want to talk. Your not alone in this.

I've tried go to the derm, they just wanted to put me on accutane, but I just can't put myself through that. I just want to be normal, I don't understand why I and others are plagued with this and other people(most who don't even take care of their skin) aren't. I just keep thinking about my skin compared to others and it brings me into a deeper depression.

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 03/03/2017 12:19 pm

19 hours ago, MsReefer said:

For a long time I resisted the idea of going on accutane because I felt ashamed of even needing the drug...I persisted with creams and natural remedies etc. in my stubbornness to be 'healthy'. The truth is, all the dieting and exercise in the world wasn't enough to make up for how badly acne affected my mental health - I became the opposite of healthy as a result. Now that it's been working for me already [in combo with Prednisone and Metformin] I regret not taking it sooner. Doctors stigmatize accutane and act like it's a monumental ordeal when most of the time, low dosage treatment is really not that big of a deal. I got myself sooo scared and worked up by reading horror stories online where people complained about weird side effects like a week in...well, I'm almost done my first week on 20mg and I feel completely the same. I really wish I had never read those stories and I had just gone for it sooner, because I wouldn't have the scars I do right now.

Bottom line is, when acne dictates your life and holds you back from having fun, accutane isn't a bad idea. I actually went out yesterday truly confident in myself and happy for the first time in 3 months and it felt great. I would also suggest you get to the root of the hormonal issue fueling your acne whilst on accutane, since not getting a period is a sign of a hormone imbalance, possibly PCOS which can cause terrible acne and oily skin.

MemberMember
(@msreefer)

Posted : 03/03/2017 1:43 pm

1 hour ago, cloudydreamer said:
For a long time I resisted the idea of going on accutane because I felt ashamed of even needing the drug...I persisted with creams and natural remedies etc. in my stubbornness to be 'healthy'. The truth is, all the dieting and exercise in the world wasn't enough to make up for how badly acne affected my mental health - I became the opposite of healthy as a result. Now that it's been working for me already [in combo with Prednisone and Metformin] I regret not taking it sooner. Doctors stigmatize accutane and act like it's a monumental ordeal when most of the time, low dosage treatment is really not that big of a deal. I got myself sooo scared and worked up by reading horror stories online where people complained about weird side effects like a week in...well, I'm almost done my first week on 20mg and I feel completely the same. I really wish I had never read those stories and I had just gone for it sooner, because I wouldn't have the scars I do right now.

Bottom line is, when acne dictates your life and holds you back from having fun, accutane isn't a bad idea. I actually went out yesterday truly confident in myself and happy for the first time in 3 months and it felt great. I would also suggest you get to the root of the hormonal issue fueling your acne whilst on accutane, since not getting a period is a sign of a hormone imbalance, possibly PCOS which can cause terrible acne and oily skin.

Thank you, reading this is making me think twice, but even though the accutane may help my pimples, I still suffer from dermatillomania. But again thank you.

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 03/03/2017 1:57 pm

12 minutes ago, MsReefer said:
1 hour ago, cloudydreamer said:

Thank you, reading this is making me think twice, but even though the accutane may help my pimples, I still suffer from dermatillomania. But again thank you.

You're welcome...what is dermatillomania? Is it pulling or picking your skin? I think as the acne resolves from the medication, you'd actually be prone to picking your skin less. The more my acne has resolved, the less I have wanted to pick and examine my skin, if that helps at all.

MemberMember
(@lydia_tank)

Posted : 03/03/2017 2:48 pm

22 hours ago, MsReefer said:

I know how you feel I never go out any more unless it's school or church. I would recommend at least washing with a natural face wash though.

MemberMember
(@mylifeisacne)

Posted : 03/11/2017 12:26 am

I don't get it...why would you leave the house with acne?

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/11/2017 12:30 am

2 minutes ago, mylifeisacne said:

umm...im hoping this is a spelling error and the word 'would' is ment to be 'wouldn't'...

MemberMember
(@mylifeisacne)

Posted : 03/11/2017 12:41 am

10 minutes ago, Rachie39 said:
14 minutes ago, mylifeisacne said:

umm...im hoping this is a spelling error and the word 'would' is ment to be 'wouldn't'...

Its not a spelling error. Why would you leave your house if you have red disgusting shit growing on your face?

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/11/2017 5:37 am

4 hours ago, mylifeisacne said:
Its not a spelling error. Why would you leave your house if you have red disgusting shit growing on your face?

because as hard as it is to leave the house, we have to stop believing our thoughts about how people are judging us based on our looks. Some do yes, and those people arent worth shit. But if we keep on only believing the negative, it could kill us. I know. Ive had those thoughts many times and looking back on your posts, you have, and i think still do, those thoughts. But some of us are trying to push past what others think so when we do manage to go out, we need to congratulate each other not say negative things to make us go backwards and stay hidden.